• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nishastra said:
So you're saying I should start collecting cats?
Definitely.
uy7Hx.jpg

Calpain

Captain Fish said:
The way everyone (except Pinkie) is always on eggshells around Celestia, I dunno how personal her relationships get. Everyone seems too worried about impressing her to actual interact with her in any meaningful way. It could just be played up for comedy, but that's the impression I get so far.
That's how I've felt as well. Who wouldn't be nervous around a 1000+ year old Sun princess? As it has been mentioned before, the relationship between Twi and Celestia is a lot like Dumbledore and Harry. Celestia has a vested interest in Twilight and they are on friendly terms with one another, but I suspect there is a lot Twilight doesn't know about Celestia like how Harry didn't know everything about Dumbledore and his personal life.

In the end we'll probably never come up with a satisfactory conclusion. It could just be a plot hole the writer for that episode didn't notice or ignored for the sake of the story. It's not like it hasn't happened before in the series with the greatest example being Pinkie's 'Twitch' powers only appearing in one episode.

OMG Aero said:
Remember the bawww/dawww comic of Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash that was posted a few pages back? Here's another one from the same artist of Sweetie Belle and Rarity.
That's a good one though not as baww/daww as the Scoot comic I believe. Anyhow, they are both great comics against both Scootabuse and the recent dose of Sweetie Belle abuse I've been seeing floating around.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Captain Fish said:
The way everyone (except Pinkie) is always on eggshells around Celestia, I dunno how personal her relationships get. Everyone seems too worried about impressing her to actual interact with her in any meaningful way. It could just be played up for comedy, but that's the impression I get so far.

Um...
Ever read Harry potter? Their behavior around Celestia pretty much mirrors the way students acted around Dumbledore, especially Harry. Harry feared the worse whenever he did something wrong and Dumbledore found out, the fear game from disappointing someone you respect that much.

Theonik

OMG Aero said:
Remember the bawww/dawww comic of Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash that was posted a few pages back? Here's another one from the same artist of Sweetie Belle and Rarity.
Now all we need is an Apple Bloom and Applejack one and we'll have a complete set.
I daaaaawww'd
Edit: link to the scoot one as I think I missed it?

Nishastra

Banned
Calpain said:
That's how I've felt as well. Who wouldn't be nervous around a 1000+ year old Sun princess? As it has been mentioned before, the relationship between Twi and Celestia is a lot like Dumbledore and Harry. Celestia has a vested interest in Twilight and they are on friendly terms with one another, but I suspect there is a lot Twilight doesn't know about Celestia like how Harry didn't know everything about Dumbledore and his personal life.
What's more, Twilight didn't even know that Celestia was the 1000+ year old god-princess until after she left Canterlot. Until Celestia showed up at the end of the second episode, Twilight had no idea.

Which leads me to wonder what exactly Twilight did think of Celestia :p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nishastra said:
What's more, Twilight didn't even know that Celestia was the 1000+ year old god-princess until after she left Canterlot. Until Celestia showed up at the end of the second episode, Twilight had no idea.

I call that more of a plot hole. Twilight knows Celestia bring sup the sun, and I would imagine it's common knowledge that Celestia is either very long lived or immortal. There's no reason Twilight should not have put two and two together on that one, regardless of what Celestia told her.

BDGAME

Other day in Work I try to create a pony that remember my work (coble programmer). The tough part is draw a Pony in middle of my work with my boss behind me and I my friends around. I made it and nobody saw, but draw in paint with only a little little screen open is really hard and this draw not became too good. See below:

213hitv.jpg

Maybe I will try made it again, but in a place where I can draw without nobody looking what I done. hehehe

Nishastra

Banned
tiff said:
Could always throw another game in there.

I'm always down for crying too.
Crying is a last resort!

As for other games, what would they be? The whole reason we suddenly started playing TF2 was because it went free and thus anyone could play it.

Most other free games I can think of are either not really free or would be quite limited in how many of us could play it together.

Or did you just mean more TF2? :p

DrForester said:
I call that more of a plot hole. Twilight knows Celestia bring sup the sun, and I would imagine it's common knowledge that Celestia is either very long lived or immortal. There's no reason Twilight should not have put two and two together on that one, regardless of what Celestia told her.
I dunno. Twilight is smart, but she seems to rely on books just a bit too much. As per Look Before You Sleep, she might just be completely oblivious to anything that's not explicitly stated in her books :p

(Of course, you'd wonder why the identity of the ruler of the kingdom wouldn't be in a book she'd read somewhere, but... then again, why is there actual historical fact that's only written as a legend/prophecy that no one is willing to believe? :p)

Calpain

Theonik said:
I daaaaawww'd
Edit: link to the scoot one as I think I missed it?
I posted it a couple days ago so here's the imgur link:
Scootaloo Comic

Nishastra said:

Ah, very good point. I forgot about Twilight's surprise at the end of the pilot episodes. This does seem to indicate that Twilight doesn't know as much about her mentor as we might have thought.

Talking about Celestia, is anyone else a little put off by some of the Celestia hate that emerged as a result of Luna fanon? I thought it was all sort of cute at first and tongue in cheek, but I'm not so sure anymore since I've seen some people actually say they wouldn't be sad if Celestia went away (or was killed) and was replaced by Luna. It just sort of bugs me because the whole reason they care for Luna more is due to a personality crafted from almost 100% fan created works. Makes me feel bad for Celestia who, while not shown all the time, is still an important part of the MLP:FiM world.

Cheerilee

Nishastra said:

C1UKo.jpg

Pinkie knows all and reveals, Twilight approves, Rainbow Dash is only somewhat shocked, Rarity can't quite deal with it yet.

Calpain

Nishastra said:
It'd be amusing if Luna turned out to be some insufferable bitch, but you know she won't :p
Heh, I know they won't do that, but I wonder how much fan rage there will be if she isn't exactly how fanon has her described right now? I'm actually hoping for a different, but still well done take on her personality by the writers when they reintroduce her. If she ends up too much like what we see in fanon it'll be sort of boring as we've seen it all before already.:p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Calpain said:
Talking about Celestia, is anyone else a little put off by some of the Celestia hate that emerged as a result of Luna fanon? I thought it was all sort of cute at first and tongue in cheek, but I'm not so sure anymore since I've seen some people actually say they wouldn't be sad if Celestia went away (or was killed) and was replaced by Luna. It just sort of bugs me because the whole reason they care for Luna more is due to a personality crafted from almost 100% fan created works. Makes me feel bad for Celestia who, while not shown all the time, is still an important part of the MLP:FiM world.

Welcome to the Celestia defense force.

Luna is adorable, but she's just a blank slate fans can attribute any personality to. That's why I never include her in character rankings, she has no character.

DrForester said:
Ever read Harry potter? Their behavior around Celestia pretty much mirrors the way students acted around Dumbledore, especially Harry. Harry feared the worse whenever he did something wrong and Dumbledore found out, the fear game from disappointing someone you respect that much.

I don't recall Harry being concerned that Dumbledore would banish him or imprison him, even in jest, though admittedly my recollection of the books are spotty.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amibguous Cad said:
I don't recall Harry being concerned that Dumbledore would banish him or imprison him, even in jest, though admittedly my recollection of the books are spotty.

First few books harry thought he was going to get expelled any minute.

Theonik

To add to the argument above I also don't think anyone truly knows Celestia besides Luna. That would also be consistent with the Dumbledore analogy too, since his brother knew him whereas most other people only knew one side of him, typically what he showed them at that time.
Edit: Though i wouldn't hang on that Dumbledore excuse for too long cause Dumpledore had his own schemes and used people around him to further his plans like pawns despite their knowledge. (something Celestia also does to twilight on the pilot) By following the Dumbledore model Celestia has some big plan and is preparing Twilight to be expended at the right time.

Cheerilee

DrForester said:

Luna is adorable, but she's just a blank slate fans can attribute any personality to. That's why I never include her in character rankings, she has no character.
There are some subtle things you can infer. Luna had about as much character as Celestia did before the Trollestia stuff began. The show's writers saw what the internet was doing and skillfully included just the right amount of it into the show.

I'm confident that they've seen people talking about Luna for just as long (longer even), and they'll take whatever works (they almost have to take socks at this point), combine it with their own ideas, and come up with something good. It won't be the exact fanon depiction, but the fanon can never even fully agree with itself, and more official ideas will only influence the fanon to grow and change, despite any force of will placed upon it (be it fan or official).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Theonik said:
To add to the argument above I also don't think anyone truly knows Celestia besides Luna. That would also be consistent with the Dumbledore analogy too, since his brother knew him whereas most other people only knew one side of him, typically what he showed them at that time.
Edit: Though i wouldn't hang on that Dumbledore excuse for too long cause Dumpledore had his own schemes and used people around him to further his plans like pawns despite their knowledge. (something Celestia also does to twilight on the pilot) By following the Dumbledore model Celestia has some big plan and is preparing Twilight to be expended at the right time.

Celestia continues to train Twilight, but I'm sure he main plan for her was to defeat Nightmare Moon so she would have a chance to save her sister.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ruby_onix said:
There are some subtle things you can infer. Luna had about as much character as Celestia did before the Trollestia stuff began. The show's writers saw what the internet was doing and skillfully included just the right amount of it into the show.

I don't think that's true, by the end of season 1, several things, we know several big things about Celestia.

We know she's kind
We know she loves animals
We know she likes pranks and jokes
We know shes a bit bored of royal life
We know she's more than a ruler, but is also a teacher

tiff

Banned
Nishastra said:
Crying is a last resort!

As for other games, what would they be? The whole reason we suddenly started playing TF2 was because it went free and thus anyone could play it.

Most other free games I can think of are either not really free or would be quite limited in how many of us could play it together.

Or did you just mean more TF2? :p
I dunno, I don't play competitive games so I don't know what would be a good fit, I just thought it was a good idea.

I'd be down for more TF2 too, though. I don't really like those kind of games too much but it's fun playing with you guys :3

Jintor said:
I have bad news for you, the subcommittees (subcommunities?) are part of gaf too
In the same sense as the those weird teenage warewolves are a part of your graduating class, I guess. I mean, technically, they are, but it's not like you want anything to do with each other.

And yes, subcommittees. That's what Firefox spellcheck decided I wanted to say.

Jintor

[pingcomplaint]

You are in front of the BLU base at 2Fort. The walls are made of slick, steel blue panelling. The sniper battlements loom above you. In the distance, twisted remains of rockets protrude from the ground. The sound of combat is all around you, the screams and shouts of the combatants ringing loudly in your ears. A bridge is to the east. The entrance to the base is to the North and South.
Exits are North, South, and East.
Standing here are a RED Medic, a RED Heavy, and a BLU demoman.

>

Calpain

DrForester said:

Same reason I don't have her in my rankings either. It was a little unnerving to see on EqD when they did that character poll for favorite pony that Luna actually had a decent number of votes, beating out two of the main cast in fact. Sometimes people get way too invested in fanon I guess.

ruby_onix said:

I'm confident that they've seen people talking about Luna for just as long (longer even), and they'll take whatever works (they almost have to take socks at this point), combine it with their own ideas, and come up with something good. It won't be the exact fanon depiction, but the fanon can never even fully agree with itself, and more official ideas will only influence the fanon to grow and change, despite any force of will placed upon it (be it fan or official).
Thing is, writing for the episodes and I'm sure the character concept for Luna were fleshed out way before everything really started to explode in March. Voice actors were being called in to read lines during that month if I remember correctly so dialogue and ideas for episodes were already finished at that point which seems to be backed up by Faust as she mentioned she had been off MLP for months at the time she mentioned her departure.

Now I don't know what Luna fanon existed back before late February as that was when I got into the show, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as in depth or developed as it is today. This causes me to doubt that much or any fanon will influence the Luna character as the episodes were written during a time when there wasn't as much of it. It could be possible revisions could have been made to work in some more fanon concepts, but from what I remember aren't the writers supposed to avoid fanon that could influence their work due to liability reasons? Also, I don't think I would like Luna as much if it was obvious that some parts of her personality came from fanon as when studios start listening to fans on what they want in the show bad things tend to happen.

McNum

Jintor said:
[pingcomplaint]

You are in front of the BLU base at 2Fort. The walls are made of slick, steel blue panelling. The sniper battlements loom above you. In the distance, twisted remains of rockets protrude from the ground. The sound of combat is all around you, the screams and shouts of the combatants ringing loudly in your ears. A bridge is to the east. The entrance to the base is to the North and South.
Exits are North, South, and East.
Standing here are a RED Medic, a RED Heavy, and a BLU demoman.

>
>Inventory
(Gotta find out what class I am, after all.)

Narag

>T

The opposing team stops to marvel at your spray. A lone dissenter from your team wonders why Luna is in socks. Chaos ensues.

Nishastra

Banned
tiff said:
I dunno, I don't play competitive games so I don't know what would be a good fit, I just thought it was a good idea.

I'd be down for more TF2 too, though. I don't really like those kind of games too much but it's fun playing with you guys :3
Yeah, I was an admin of a UT2k4 server once upon a time, but what we actually played was Invasion, which was a co-op gametype where you fight alongside other players against waves of increasingly difficult monsters. I always get really stressed in typical FPS multiplayer :p

But normal co-op games tend to have very small player limits...

tiff said:
And yes, subcommittees. That's what Firefox spellcheck decided I wanted to say.
Hahahaha... I actually didn't even notice that. I just read it as subcommunities :p

Calpain

DrForester said:
Honestly, I'd like to see Luna as a bit of fish out of water character, being gone for 1000 years.
I too would enjoy seeing that and it could really set up some very humorous scenes. What I hope they use Luna for the most is to give Celestia someone that is comfortable around her and that Celestia can act normal around. This dynamic can really serve to further flesh out Celestia and serve as a good starting point for developing Luna's character during the second season.

Jintor

I never play 2Fort > >

>>Score
You are a BLU Heavy who has been playing for 5 days, 13 hours, and 16 minutes. You have 14 minutes and 34 seconds until your next random drop. Your current score is 9 deaths, 13 kills, 24 assists.

>>Inventory
You are carrying:
A Pinky Pie Party Hat, Natascha, a Sandvich, and a pair of Gloves of Running Urgently.

The RED Heavy begins spinning his chaingun!
The RED Medic heals the RED Heavy!
The BLU Demoman charges the RED Heavy, dealing minor damage!
The BLU Demoman swings his Eyelander at the RED Heavy, biting through flesh! Critical hit!
The RED Heavy growls.
The BLU Demoman cheers.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Calpain said:
I too would enjoy seeing that and it could really set up some very humorous scenes. What I hope they use Luna for the most is to give Celestia someone that is comfortable around her and that Celestia can act normal around. This dynamic can really serve to further flesh out Celestia and serve as a good starting point for developing Luna's character during the second season.

Long as the trollestia fandom never becomes cannon I'm fine.

Said it before, but the biggest things the writers need to keep in mind about their new fans, is that fans are idiots, do not cater to them.

McNum

So, what are we doing in the pony thread? We're playing Team Fortress 2: The text adventure.

I find that really amusing, for some reason.

tiff

Banned
Nishastra said:
I always get really stressed in typical FPS multiplayer :p
So do I. I just get really nervous when I know other people are counting on me to do well. What makes it worse is that I'm generally really bad at video games so I end up letting people down a lot :(

Plus I'm just not really a competitive person in general.

Calpain

DrForester said:
Long as the trollestia fandom never becomes cannon I'm fine.

Said it before, but the biggest things the writers need to keep in mind about their new fans, is that fans are idiots, do not cater to them.
Couldn't agree more DrForester. The fandom is creative and I don't mind all the stuff they churn out, but I really think the writers need to stick with their own thing. After all, they delivered a great first season without our input so they don't need us to make a great second season. I'm happy with the little nods like Derpy and such with the background characters but when it starts effecting major characters, new or old, or the stories then I think I'll be bothered by it and start to believe the show is jumping the shark.

Final day reminder!

Alright guys

It's time.

Time to figure out truly which pony is the most beloved of ponyGAF!

Clearly what we need to settle these disputes is a scientific poll.

So if you want a say in the official (official because I say they are!) PonyGAF rankings, PM me your pony rankings!

Mane 6 cast only, at least for now. No ties; you're gonna have to choose between your beloved ones. Your top choice will get 6 points, your second 5 points, third 4 points, and so on. The pony with the most points wins, though I'll be keeping track of relative position as well.

Polling will end next Sunday night, July 24. I'll be posting reminders of this post periodically if people don't find it too annoying =P

Today is the last day to cast your vote! The polls will close at midnight EST!

Nishastra

Banned
tiff said:
So do I. I just get really nervous when I know other people are counting on me to do well. What makes it worse is that I'm generally really bad at video games so I end up letting people down a lot :(
Aww, you've been doing fine in TF2. At least by my reckoning. Maybe I'm absolutely terrible myself :p

We generally all seem fairly evenly-matched except for the few people whose names I don't know that always show up and immediately get like 2x the score of the next person down (not even the same people each time...).

tiff said:
Yeah, I really just play games to have fun, and personally I think co-op is about the most fun you can have. Everything is more fun in co-op.

Only real exception is fighting games, but even then I love co-op, though there barely is such a thing. I used to wish desperately for people to do Dramatic Battles with in Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3 :p

Narag

tiff said:

A good friendly server clears this right up. Some of the pony themed ones are actually pretty nice even if one isn't so good or at least that's been my experience so far. It's competition but friendly competition. The kind that ends with a group photo sent to Princess Celestia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom