• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
It's a shame that AJ lost by so much, and I think that's largely due to her lack of characterization in season 1. She's a great character, but aside from Applebuck Season she hasn't had many memorable moments when compared to the rest of the cast.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I blame panda....or my boredom as no one is on sc2

pony.jpg

Calpain

Slamtastic said:
Applejack's defining character traits are a hat and an accent.
Granted, she hasn't had the best episodes, but I'd give her more credit than that. We know one of her traits is stubbornness as we've seen in Applebuck Season and we have seen that she really cares for her family given that her whole reason for going to the Gala was to raise money to help her kin. She's also rather dependable (despite what happened in Applebuck Season) as she made sure Fluttershy got up the mountain in Dragon Shy and saved Twi from getting crushed by a boulder in the same episode.

AJ already has the start of a good character, she just needs some great situations for her to shine in. Hopefully that will be resolved in the second season.

2th

Banned
Amibguous Cad said:
Voting is officially over! Here are the final standings!

Fluttershy: 166
Pinkie Pie: 155
Rainbow Dash: 146
Twilight Sparkle: 141
Rarity: 131
Applejack: 78

39 people cast their votes! Here's a breakdown of how the voting went. 1st place votes will be the first number, and on down the list:

Twilight: 4/8/8/9/8/2
Rainbow Dash: 12/3/7/5/6/6
Applejack: 1/2/3/4/9/20
Rarity: 4/6/6/11/8/4
Pinkie: 6/9/11/6/5/2
Fluttershy: 12/11/4/4/3/5
Some interesting tidbits from the statistics:

-Rainbow Dash's 3rd place finish caught me by surprise. She was tied with Fluttershy for the most first-place votes, but apparently doesn't have anywhere near as many people who have her as their almost favorite. Fluttershy's 11-3 margin in second place voting was key to her success. Pinkie claiming a 9-3 lead in second-place votes and 11-7 advantage in third place votes explains her vaulting the favored pegasus, as well.

-Interestingly, those top two front-runners also generated a bit of hate. They had the second and third most number of last-place votes. Twilight and Pinkie tied for the least number of last-place votes, at two apiece, making them much more competitive with those two than they would be otherwise.

-Despite Fluttershy's eventual victory, the vote was incredibly close. 4 of the six ponies had an average position between 3rd and 4th. Fluttershy's average position was 2.8, and Applejack's was 5th.

-A little over half the ballots had Applejack in last place.

BLASPHEMY!!!!! TRAITORS!!!! FIENDS!!!! I publicly decry any of you who did not vote for Rainbow Dash as the best pony. You are all officially dead to me.

2th said:
BLASPHEMY!!!!! TRAITORS!!!! FIENDS!!!! I publicly decry any of you who did not vote for Rainbow Dash as the best pony. You are all officially dead to me.
I suspect foul play. It's the only way it makes sense!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
that scootabuse kills alittle more of me everytime i load the page.

someone find pics of scootaloo getting hugs.

Cheerilee

Calpain said:
Granted, she hasn't had the best episodes, but I'd give her more credit than that. We know one of her traits is stubbornness as we've seen in Applebuck Season and we have seen that she really cares for her family given that her whole reason for going to the Gala was to raise money to help her kin. She's also rather dependable (despite what happened in Applebuck Season) as she made sure Fluttershy got up the mountain in Dragon Shy and saved Twi from getting crushed by a boulder in the same episode.

AJ already has the start of a good character, she just needs some great situations for her to shine in. Hopefully that will be resolved in the second season.
That's what all the workaholics say as they drive their spouses to move out and take the kids with them, and when the family's gone they say they work all day because they don't have any reason to go home.

Applejack controls virtually the entire food supply for her entire town. She appears to be the richest, most powerful Earth Pony in Ponyville. Unicorn and Pegasus Ponies come crawling to her when they need food. But that doesn't satisfy Applejack because Unicorns can simply pay with their easy magic-based money. Not sure how Pegasuses pay. They probably have a sky-clearing union contract since long before Unicorns started moving in.

Applejack got her hoofs into her cousin Braeburn's business (that's why she was so in love with a tree she was giving away, she was dreaming of it's importance to her financial empire), and she hoped that by introducing her products at Canterlot she'd be able to get her hoof in the door in yet another town. First she gets in, then she steadily grows her business, and soon she controls the town. Silly pony. No amount of financial control over cities will ever make you a Unicorn, let alone a Princess. Also, Celestia controls the economy. She might find it cute and amusing when you try to rearrange the scenery beneath her tower to your liking, but when she gets bored with it she'll gracefully put you back in your place and you won't even realize what she did.

That's why Applejack's Gala ambitions were not really the absolute weakest.

Twilight - Spend time with Celestia
She's desperate for attention from a mentor who probably knows it and likes to mess with her.

Rainbow Dash - Prove I'm great
She's 120% bravado all the time, but deep down she's still hurt from childhood bullying and lacks real confidence, and needs her perceived ideal group to recognize and validate her (superficial) greatness, which won't actually help her much, she'll just start looking for something else to fill the void.

Pinkie Pie - Party = Pinkie Pie. Pinkie Pie = Party.
She's built her life around the philosophy of party, even falling into severe depression and madness when that's threatened, and somebody told her that a gala was a party on crack. She probably partygasmed the night before in anticipation. She definitely had the biggest letdown of the group. And then she washed it all away with a party.

Rarity - Meet her Prince
She's actually interested in guys? I thought they were just playthings to her. I figure she's not interested in any of the guys she knows around Ponyville, but she still believes/hopes that there are somehow "better" men out there, in high society where she can't see them. Probably speaks towards her desire to advance her career and get out of Applejack's hick town.

Fluttershy - Make new animal friends
Couldn't she just... pick a direction and walk? Animals generally cover most inhabited planets. Apparently Celestia collected various interesting and unusual species of animals though, like Phoenixes, and Fluttershy loves what happened there, and she wants to go through a lot more of it. Don't worry little Fluttershy, Celestia has much more where that came from.

Applejack - Sell some apples
If you believe that Applejack wants to spend a once-in-a-lifetime shot at really letting her hair down for an evening and having some limitless fun, doing her same old boring job that she does every single day one more boring time, then you must conclude that Applejack is a real pathetic loser. This wasn't about her pathetic apple stand. This was about what her pathetic apple stand could one day become if she managed to get her hoofs into that city.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
ThreeSix said:
Since the room that was flooded was basically where I was staying, a bunch of my stuff was ruined. The big thing was the PS3 which also meant the Let's Play I was doing had to be scrapped. Other than that, my DS, some movies, books, old Xbox, PS1, N64, and Dreamcast games, (nothing worth getting upset over) and some random cords/computer chargers were all ruined. We have to redo the entire basement and it's a mess down there, but it's still a lot better than where it was two days ago.
That's a real shame. I actually started watching your Let's Play last week. Good luck recovering from that, and thanks for continuing to pump out the fantastic videos.

Ouch, that sucks man. I still remember the worst flood we had. It was basically around 6.5 feet inside my room, but thankfully no lasting damage to our stuff.

OMG Aero

EviLore said:
I encourage Pony-GAF and the other GAF subcommunities to come up with designs representing their respective subcommunity for our NeoGAF t-shirt contest. >$500 in prizes for participants and the shirts will all be at-cost.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438373

Remember, no copyright infringement, so subtlety may be required in this case!
You heard the man, now we have to do it.
Has Carek said yet if he minds people using Belle in designs? That's basically the only thing we can do without infringing on the show's copyrights. I have a couple of ideas I'd like to try but I don't want to spend time making one if Carek doesn't want us to.
Amibguous Cad said:
Voting is officially over! Here are the final standings!

Fluttershy: 166
Pinkie Pie: 155
Rainbow Dash: 146
Twilight Sparkle: 141
Rarity: 131
Applejack: 78
I'm not really happy that Rarity and Twilight are so low, but it's nice to see that GAF knows who the best pony is.
To celebrate these results, here are some dawww-inducing pictures of the top two ponies:

Theonik

ThreeSix said:
New video I made. Took long enough to get back into making a full length video too. Why does being employed have to take away all my free pony video making time?

Avenue eQuestria: If Rainbow Dash Was Gay
"This video contains content from SME who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds :/"
Edit: I call fixing on that list! RD is the best pony and everypony knows it! Though most of the mane cast are pretty close which sounds about right. Except AJ. She also deserves that place.

Theonik said:
I call fixing on that list! RD is the best pony and everypony knows it! Though most of the mane cast are pretty close which sounds about right. Except AJ. She also deserves that place.
Well the list of scientific accuracy counteracts your wild accusations, bow down to your adorable Fluttershy overlord.

Poor Applejack, she is not beloved.

Random poll fact: Twilight is the only pony who lacks a double digit number for one of the ranking spots.
And Applejack has 1 first place rank, 2 second ranks, 3 thirds, 4 fourths and then the pattern is screwed up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm more annoyed by pinkie being so high than Fluttershy beating Rainbow Dash (pegasus ponies are best ponies). So few top spots for Pinkie... just isn't right.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Rainbow Dash suffered because the love for her was probably quite polarized. I'd imagine most people voted for her either as 1/2 or 5/6. Pinkie always ends up somewhere in the middle/top, so she got to sneak her way up to Number 2# without anyone being the wiser.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
plus dash has to contend with the pegasus master race factor. she is not as certain for a #1 spot like applejack is certain for #6. pegasus adorers are just as likely to vote fluttershy as #1, but she still is held back by the insufferable peons who are jealous of her pegasus identity.

fluttershy doesnt suffer from this racism because. well, she's fluttershy.

The reactions to these results are more delicious than I thought they would be. Feels good man.

ruby_onix said:
That's what all the workaholics say as they drive their spouses to move out and take the kids with them, and when the family's gone they say they work all day because they don't have any reason to go home.

Applejack controls virtually the entire food supply for her entire town. She appears to be the richest, most powerful Earth Pony in Ponyville. Unicorn and Pegasus Ponies come crawling to her when they need food. But that doesn't satisfy Applejack because Unicorns can simply pay with their easy magic-based money. Not sure how Pegasuses pay. They probably have a sky-clearing union contract since long before Unicorns started moving in.

Applejack got her hoofs into her cousin Braeburn's business (that's why she was so in love with a tree she was giving away, she was dreaming of it's importance to her financial empire), and she hoped that by introducing her products at Canterlot she'd be able to get her hoof in the door in yet another town. First she gets in, then she steadily grows her business, and soon she controls the town. Silly pony. No amount of financial control over cities will ever make you a Unicorn, let alone a Princess. Also, Celestia controls the economy. She might find it cute and amusing when you try to rearrange the scenery beneath her tower to your liking, but when she gets bored with it she'll gracefully put you back in your place and you won't even realize what she did.

That's why Applejack's Gala ambitions were not really the absolute weakest.

Applejack - Sell some apples
If you believe that Applejack wants to spend a once-in-a-lifetime shot at really letting her hair down for an evening and having some limitless fun, doing her same old boring job that she does every single day one more boring time, then you must conclude that Applejack is a real pathetic loser. This wasn't about her pathetic apple stand. This was about what her pathetic apple stand could one day become if she managed to get her hoofs into that city.
I think your depiction of Applejack is just a little bit more sinister than the reality.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
OMG Aero said:
You heard the man, now we have to do it.
Has Carek said yet if he minds people using Belle in designs? That's basically the only thing we can do without infringing on the show's copyrights. I have a couple of ideas I'd like to try but I don't want to spend time making one if Carek doesn't want us to.
I just showed my Belle Eve shirt concept to Carek and he seemed glad to approve it. I don't want to speak for him, but I think it would be OK for you to give it a shot, and show it to him afterwards.

Narag, your suggestion is awesome, I'll use it, if you don't mind. :)

DrForester said:
Knew the list would be rigged.

The Princess is not pleased.

Hey, I was the one tallying the votes, and my list had RD number one and Fluttershy as my number 6! I'm as angry about the results as you are! =P

So a co-worker of mine who will remain nameless has recently started working with the MLP:FiM team.

Any questions you want me to shoot his/her way?

I don't like ranking the ponies. yeah fluttershy IS the best, but they're all the best :|

Onion, saying co-worker and "working with" makes me think this person isn't part of the creative process.

With that in mind uh... anything neat at the MLP office? Like a giant pinkie pie statue for example?

Onion_Relish said:
So a co-worker of mine who will remain nameless has recently started working with the MLP:FiM team.
Any questions you want me to shoot his/her way?
Lamest questions in the world:
  • What version of flash do they use?
  • How large of a crew and what are their deadlines like in terms of rough seconds per week?
  • Are notes/revisions on the overseas animation done in-house or by that studio?
  • In the behind-the-scenes video that was yanked off youtube, there were shots of people using actual boards on paper. Is there a reason why they do them on paper instead of directly on a cintiq or "just because"?
Slightly less lame question:
  • Of course they're all aware of the fandom, but is there any sense of how much it influences the show? When a boarder is placing background characters, do they feel like they should put in more subtle jokes like Lyra hanging out with Bonbon in a random scene?
Also if too much of that is inside baseball, or not immediately apparent to someone just joining the teaming, feel free to ignore as many as he cares to. I'm just curious is all.

Orcastar

Meh, the true pony ranking is still:

1. Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle
2. Everyone else, even the CMC

Funny thing I've noticed about Applejack: Seems that people new to the show, i.e. people who've seen <10 episodes tend to rank AJ quite highly. Whether this is due to the fact that all her defining episodes were quite early in the season or that the other ponies simply received more characterisation is of course another matter.

ThreeSix said:
I'm pretty sure I saw a PMV of this song before, but yours is better. Good job!

meltingparappa said:
  • What version of flash do they use?
I remember reading somewhere that they use Flash 8.

Orcastar said:
I remember reading somewhere that they use Flash 8.
fascinating-cat.jpg

My co-workers and I were trying to pause the behind the scenes video to figure out what version it was. I don't really know why, maybe to see if they used some futuristic non-existant CS6 version that would make us feel better about our stuff not looking as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom