• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
A layout artist for Friendship is Magic did an interview on /co/ back in February where he mentioned the production process. Here's a link to it. He mentions the use of Flash 8 in the third set of questions.

Here's the screenshot where he answers the flash question.

Kuhet.jpg

I left the description as vague as possible because i dont want anyone to get in trouble. But yes, they do use flash to do their builds, which i found odd but was assured is pretty normal. As for those questions, i'll buzz them by sometime this week and get back to you :)

Owlowiscious said:
trouble = revealing unknown things = MLP:FIM MMO CONFIRMED

haha not quite owlbro. Trouble simply means that in this economy I dont want to do anything that could jeopardize someones job.

edit: for ease of use, i will only take questions from this page so i know what to keep track of

double edit: after reading http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/04/flashinthepan-on-co.html i feel no reason to ask any more questions. Most of the things we've talked about are discussed here and chances are the answer to your question is here too. Keep on rockin bronies.

If there's the slightest bit of doubt whether that shouldn't be disclosed, please don't bother. I can probably gleam everything I was wondering about from those previous interviews, it seems.

Theonik

I shall post another question which may be a bit controversial.
Is trollestia considered cannon in any form and are there any considerations to make it so? :p

Ellis Kim

Banned
meltingparappa said:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn247/MM2_ss_Lewis/fascinating-cat.jpg

My co-workers and I were trying to pause the behind the scenes video to figure out what version it was. I don't really know why, maybe to see if they used some futuristic non-existant CS6 version that would make us feel better about our stuff not looking as good.[/QUOTE]
I've never really used Flash, but is there a visual distinction of some kind that distinguishes version differences?

Ellis Kim

Banned
DrForester said:
Knew the list would be rigged.

The Princess is not pleased.
princess_rainbow_dash_by_glamourkat-d3al5sd.png
This is all kinds of awesome.

Also, I subscribe the school of "Rainbow Dash isn't gay, but wouldn't know what gay was until someone spelled it out to her," as put forward by the MLP for the Mentally Advanced series :p

Ellis Kim said:
I've never really used Flash, but is there a visual distinction of some kind that distinguishes version differences?
There's a big jump from MX to 8
A minor jump from 8 to CS1
Subtle layout changes from CS1 to CS3
CS4 goes bonkers and gross
Then CS5 goes back to normal

This is knowledge that will never come up in any way whatsoever in anyone's life.

daffy

Banned
Amibguous Cad said:
Voting is officially over! Here are the final standings!
Fluttershy: 166
Pinkie Pie: 155
Rainbow Dash: 146
Twilight Sparkle: 141
Rarity: 131
Applejack: 78
You know what, I don't agree with this list. And I'm ok with that.

Calpain

Theonik said:
I shall post another question which may be a bit controversial.
Is trollestia considered cannon in any form and are there any considerations to make it so? :p
During the Faust crisis, I remember a member of the Allspark forums posting a screencap of Charlotte Fullerton's (a writer on the show) Facebook page after someone mentioned fans calling Celestia a troll:
Screencap taken on May 6th

If this is any indication, it would seem that Trollestia wasn't planned and is something the fandom just made up from what was there in the episodes. Course, she might not have known what troll meant, but I think most of the staff on the show are rather net savvy and know at least some of the basic lingo.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
FTH said:
You know what, I don't agree with this list. And I'm ok with that.

But...but...people have different opinion than me! Surely, I must correct them.

Theonik

Pankaks said:
But...but...people have different opinion than me! Surely, I must correct them.
Yes, you must. You MUST. YOU MUST!
Calpain said:
During the Faust crisis, I remember a member of the Allspark forums posting a screencap of Charlotte Fullerton's (a writer on the show) Facebook page after someone mentioned fans calling Celestia a troll:
Screencap taken on May 6th

If this is any indication, it would seem that Trollestia wasn't planned and is something the fandom just made up from what was there in the episodes. Course, she might not have known what troll meant, but I think most of the staff on the show are rather net savvy and know at least some of the basic lingo.
So we probably will never get any conclusion to that debate. I really wanted to know what they thought about that aspect of Celestia's character and to what extent it was intentional.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Theonik said:
o we probably will never get any conclusion to that debate. I really wanted to know what they thought about that aspect of Celestia's character and to what extent it was intentional.

How could it have been intentional? The trollestia is entirely a fandom creation, there's nothing in the show itself to support it.

DrForester said:
How could it have been intentional? The trollestia is entirely a fandom creation, there's nothing in the show itself to support it.
The phoenix episode hints at it, although only playfully and not the ridiculous extent some people take it.

Seems like if someone were to phrase the question "is Celestia mischievous" it would have gotten a better answer than the confusion Ms. Fullerton exhibited.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
meltingparappa said:
The phoenix episode hints at it, although only playfully and not the ridiculous extent some people take it.

Seems like if someone were to phrase the question "is Celestia mischievous" it would have gotten a better answer than the confusion Ms. Fullerton exhibited.

At the same time, that episodes entire course of events was brought about just by Fluttershy not asking. And beyond that, she knows about manticores, Dragons, Hydras, Cockatrice, etc. How could she not know about Phoenixes.

Ellis Kim

Banned
meltingparappa said:
There's a big jump from MX to 8
A minor jump from 8 to CS1
Subtle layout changes from CS1 to CS3
CS4 goes bonkers and gross
Then CS5 goes back to normal

This is knowledge that will never come up in any way whatsoever in anyone's life.
But how can you tell with just watching the show?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
From the shirt thread.

Bufbaf said:
Ponyhaters, please ignore:

OaVfx.png

Forget the neogaf logo and text, just regular shirts like that would be great, but with options for all the cast.

Or just "Confound those ponies" on the back.

Theonik

DrForester said:
At the same time, that episodes entire course of events was brought about just by Fluttershy not asking. And beyond that, she knows about manticores, Dragons, Hydras, Cockatrice, etc. How could she not know about Phoenixes.
Phoenixes seem to be incredibly rare, Celestia's Phoenix may very well be the only live one in the whole of Equestria. Even Twilight didn't seem to know about it. What i meant was, that to an extent Celestia does seem to have a teasing, jokish trait to her personality. The question is to what extent is it an intentional part of her character or something created by fanfiction.

ellis kim said:
But how can you tell with just watching the show?
OMG Aero said:
I think he's talking about the look of the software, not what is created with it.
Yes, that is it. I thought it was weird that you were asking. I was referencing staring at the "behind the scenes" video and they had a brief shot of someone working in flash.

Here is a drawing from a co-worker to make this post less boring:
tumblr_lowsbfVvHQ1qcfwqjo1_500.png

Ellis Kim

Banned
OHHH

I was wondering what in the world you were talking about pausing and whatever. I didn't catch you saying "behind the scenes," lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Theonik said:
Phoenixes seem to be incredibly rare, Celestia's Phoenix may very well be the only live one in the whole of Equestria. Even Twilight didn't seem to know about it. What i meant was, that to an extent Celestia does seem to have a teasing, jokish trait to her personality. The question is to what extent is it an intentional part of her character or something created by fanfiction.

Twilight not knowing about it just one of those plotholes I ignore. There's no reason for her not to know about it. It's clearly not a creature Celestia hides, and I think it was just convenient for the story to have Fluttershy's partner in crime be Twilight and not someone else.

Orcastar

DrForester said:
Twilight not knowing about it just one of those plotholes I ignore. There's no reason for her not to know about it. It's clearly not a creature Celestia hides, and I think it was just convenient for the story to have Fluttershy's partner in crime be Twilight and not someone else.
Maybe Philomena is a new pet, one that Celestia received after she sent Twilight to Ponyville? Yeah, I'm reaching for straws here, but it's possible.

Orcastar said:
Maybe Philomena is a new pet, one that Celestia received after she sent Twilight to Ponyville? Yeah, I'm reaching for straws here, but it's possible.

Nahhh. Lauren has said that the ponies age like real horses so between being first "adopted" by Celestia and the start of MLP, it's likely only been 2-3 years. Philomena could've easily started to shed feathers and weaken when Twilight was a filly and Celestia may have been keeping her safe indoors making it unknown to even Twilight for Philomena's protection.

Aren't episodes written as the first part of production? I kinda doubt any fan stuff made it into the written scripts of any episodes. I know fan stuff, like Derpy's eyes, was added to later scenes, but I figure that the animations and art can change much later in the project.

Emlan drew a new thing (source).

It's pink toy Celestia.

Dear Pony-age,

I just gave in my notice at work for 1 week, and I now feel a bit safer telling you all this. I'm a soon to be ex Studio B (DHX Media) employee. You guys make me happy when you're happy and sad when you bicker, it's contagious energy in here and I dig it. I only started here a few months ago, so you won't see my name in the credits of Season 1, but you will for Season 2 (which, may I add, is looking awesome. Can't divulge details obviously, but there are plenty of reasons to be excited and to shift your hype into overdrive).

Thank you for supporting a terrific show.

OMG Aero

Choppasmith said:
Nahhh. Lauren has said that the ponies age like real horses so between being first "adopted" by Celestia and the start of MLP, it's likely only been 2-3 years. Philomena could've easily started to shed feathers and weaken when Twilight was a filly and Celestia may have been keeping her safe indoors making it unknown to even Twilight for Philomena's protection.
Have you got a source on this? Because I find it incredibly hard to believe considering that the series started with the summer solstice and we've gone to at least the start of spring.
Dastardly Jerks said:
Dear Pony-age,

I just gave in my notice at work for 1 week, and I now feel a bit safer telling you all this. I'm a soon to be ex Studio B (DHX Media) employee. You guys make me happy when you're happy and sad when you bicker, it's contagious energy in here and I dig it. I only started here a few months ago, so you won't see my name in the credits of Season 1, but you will for Season 2 (which, may I add, is looking awesome. Can't divulge details obviously, but there are plenty of reasons to be excited and to shift your hype into overdrive).

If this is true then thank you for helping to make the show we love so much.
You should give us an incredibly vague hint or reference that will make no sense at all until we see a specific episode of season 2 as proof.

Dastardly Jerks said:
Dear Pony-age,

Awww, why are you quitting?

Dastardly Jerks said:
Dear Pony-age,
Hey, thank YOU for being part of something amazing.

Animators are the unsung hero of a production because they don't make the top level creative decisions, but the bloodshot eyes that go into each hilarious expression or timing beat save bad scripts and let good scripts ascend into fandom infamy.

I hope you're absolutely proud of what you were a part of, and hope you get some smiles and tears watching us react to your hard work when the fall rolls around.

Also... sorry to hear you're quitting. If you don't mind me asking, how is the Vancouver animation scene?
my show ends in january and I'm a dual citizen

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dastardly Jerks said:
Dear Pony-age,

Can you at least comfort us that season 2 isn't pandering to the new fandom, and is still the show we loved in season 1?

OMG Aero said:
If this is true then thank you for helping to make the show we love so much.
You should give us an incredibly vague hint or reference that will make no sense at all until we see a specific episode of season 2 as proof.

If you need proof, here's a picture of the MLP teams entrance:

rLvpn.jpg

No matter how vague I give of a hint of an upcoming tidbit in Season 2, it would probably end up on Equestria Daily, which could be led back to me. So I'll have to keep my mouth shut on that one sorry.

Dai101

Banned
Dastardly Jerks said:
Dear Pony-age,

NO.

Thank YOU for being part of this wonderful show. Here's a happy Applejack for you:

tfYoK.png

Dastardly Jerks said:
Dear Pony-age,

I hope you've got sopme good work lined up. I hope you left on good terms and not from something MLP related.

OMG Aero said:
Have you got a source on this?

jG81q.png

Ellis Kim

Banned
Dastardly Jerks said:
Dear Pony-age,

Aww. Well, we absolutely look forward to seeing Season 2. Will you tell us which eps you worked on as they get released?

Whoa, it's cool to have someone who actually worked on the show post here. I'm so hyped for the next season. I'm actually starting to get some season break fatigue. I can't wait for the new episodes to start hitting.

AceBandage said:
Awww, why are you quitting?

Not out of choice, but a family situation has come up back in Australia where my Grandma is about to pass (2-3 weeks away tops), so I need to fly back and be there for my mum. Unfortunately I only have ways of getting home and no way of getting back to Vancouver.

Which is a shame, because I've grown to love my time here and especially at DHX Media. The other animators behind the show are nothing but genuine, friendly and awesome folk who almost practically embody what they're working on. I've never grown so close in such little time to such folk before in my life.

meltingparappa said:
Hey, thank YOU for being part of something amazing.

Animators are the unsung hero of a production because they don't make the top level creative decisions, but the bloodshot eyes that go into each hilarious expression or timing beat save bad scripts and let good scripts ascend into fandom infamy.

I hope you're absolutely proud of what you were a part of, and hope you get some smiles and tears watching us react to your hard work when the fall rolls around.

Also... sorry to hear you're quitting. If you don't mind me asking, how is the Vancouver animation scene?
my show ends in january and I'm a dual citizen

Appreciated! The folks here put in a lot of energy, effort and time to meet some very high schedules and standards. I won't lie, it actually upsets me when people write off Flash animation simply because I've seen firsthand how much effort goes into each walk cycle and background.

At the start I had no idea what I was working on until I got here, the brony phenomenon had hit the internet and confused the hell out of me, but after watching the show and meeting fans firsthand, I know exactly now what the show is about and how it can mean so much to people. I feel enlightened.

EDIT: Also the animation scene here is brilliant. Actually - ALL creative industries maintain a consistent level of hiring. DHX Media are constantly looking for new blood, so keep an eye on the careers section of their website and throw an application their way for anything you think would suit you.

DrForester said:
Can you at least comfort us that season 2 isn't pandering to the new fandom, and is still the show we loved in season 1?

Well, the ponies now have lasers implanted in their hoofs and have laser targeting systems on helmets which they all wear as they zoom around the galaxy defeating the new enemy Lunarnites (Luna minions).

Just kidding. It's the same essence, punch, wit and flavour as the first.

2th

Banned
Dastardly Jerks said:
Dear Pony-age,

aww sorry you are quitting. anyways THANK YOU for working on the show. It is fantastic and you deserve a round of applause.

15802%20-%20Octavia%20animated%20clapping%20clopplauding.gif
14915%20-%20animated%20artist%3Amihaaaa%20clapping%20clopplauding%20gif%20rainbow_dash%20reaction_image%20reaction_ponies.gif
19%20-%20animated%20clapping%20clopplauding%20twilight_sparkle.gif
14832%20-%20animated%20artist%3Amihaaaa%20clapping%20clopplauding%20fluttershy%20gif%20reaction_image%20reaction_ponies.gif

tiff

Banned
Dastardly Jerks said:
Not out of choice, but a family situation has come up back in Australia where my Grandma is about to pass (2-3 weeks away tops), so I need to fly back and be there for my mum. Unfortunately I only have ways of getting home and no way of getting back to Vancouver.

Which is a shame, because I've grown to love my time here and especially at DHX Media. The other animators behind the show are nothing but genuine, friendly and awesome folk who almost practically embody what they're working on. I've never grown so close in such little time to such folk before in my life.
Sorry to hear that. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time working on the show though :)

Theonik

DrForester said:
Yes that is a plothole mainly because it's not explained, but looking back I don't think Twilight lived close to Celestia or was particularly knowledgeable of her personal life so she may have known of Philemina's existence but never seen her/known she were a phoenix. I kinda doubt they really planned that and it was probably just used a plot device as twilight is character was the most ideal for that episode. They probably have the same policy with "trollestia" too, which is why i'm interested in knowing if that's the case or it's supposed to be a minor trait of the character itself.
Edit:
Dastardly Jerks said:
Dear Pony-age,

And so we are reminded of season 2 again and cry.
Just kidding, it's sorry to hear about the condition you're in, it really must suck especially after bonding so well in that position. Also thank you for being part of such an amazing show! We are sure that Season 2 will be just as awesome as the first.

Dastardly Jerks said:

/sadface

Dastardly Jerks said:
Well, the ponies now have lasers implanted in their hoofs and have laser targeting systems on helmets which they all wear as they zoom around the galaxy defeating the new enemy Lunarnites (Luna minions).
I smell a new toy line! Seriously though I look forward to seeing your hard work whenever season 2 airs.

Chuck

Still without luck
Dastardly Jerks said:

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother. I give your family my condolences and wish you and your family the best.

And thank you so much for working on the show that has really brought all of us here in Pony GAF together. I hope your future in animation brings you, and us, great things. :)

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom