• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orcastar

Quinnjaminn said:
All of you artists make me feel like I should pick up a cheap tablet soon and actually take advantage of my school's free photoshop.
Oz07l.jpg

Bufbaf said:
Heh, Bufpony is no match for Belle's savant-like gaming talents.

LuffyZoro

Quinnjaminn said:
I guess I'll add a tablet to my online order tonight. Stupid ponies -- they drive me to be creative.

What kind of tablet are you getting? I keep wanting to start drawing, but I can't find any good, cheap ones.

blamite

I started watching the episodes in order, and after Griffon the Brush-off And Boast Busters I was almost bored enough with the show to quit. Luckily Dragonshy and the following run if episodes (minus Look Before You Sleep) got me back in. I think it'd be best to start with the 2-parter, then skip to Dragonshy/Applebuck/Swarm, before the rest of the second half of the season.

Jarmel

Banned
DrForester said:
She was trying to get the aristocracy to lighten up a bit, and that was a good way to do it. Not to mention it helped teach Twilight and Co. yet another good lesson about friendship.

She was screwing around with them. A troll is someone who intentionally disrupts the normal activities for kicks. Which she did. The same I could argue about the first couple of episodes. She could have done something sooner but decided to let Twilight learn a lesson even though it threw the entire(or should have anyway) country into a state of panic. Can you imagine a ruler trying to teach a group of kids lessons at the cost of the rest of the country being screwed over? She apparently also finds this amusing considering she's near always smiling.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jarmel said:
She was screwing around with them. A troll is someone who intentionally disrupts the normal activities for kicks. Which she did. The same I could argue about the first couple of episodes. She could have done something sooner but decided to let Twilight learn a lesson even though it threw the entire(or should have anyway) country into a state of panic. Can you imagine a ruler trying to teach a group of kids lessons at the cost of the rest of the country being screwed over? She apparently also finds this amusing considering she's near always smiling.

The NightmareMoon thing was more because someone other than Celestia needed to defeat her. Celestia had defeated NMM before, and it didn't get her sister back. Someone else needed to defeat her so her sister would accept forgiveness.

Jarmel

Banned
DrForester said:
The NightmareMoon thing was more because someone other than Celestia needed to defeat her. Celestia had defeated NMM before, and it didn't get her sister back. Someone else needed to defeat her so her sister would accept forgiveness.

However they didn't do anything fundamentally different than Celestia would have done. They beat her down and then later showed off their new jewels. Celesia was the one who gave the talk about Luna got beat.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jarmel said:
However they didn't do anything fundamentally different than Celestia would have done. They beat her down and then later showed off their new jewels. Celesia was the one who gave the talk about Luna got beat.

The fact that it wasn't Celestia is what was needed. Celestia was representative of the bitterness Luna had that turned her into NMM since she controlled the Sun. Getting beat again by Celestia would not have done anything. By getting beat by 6 normal Ponies, Luna was humbled enough to accept forgiveness from Celestia.

Jarmel

Banned
DrForester said:
The fact that it wasn't Celestia is what was needed. Celestia was representative of the bitterness Luna had that turned her into NMM since she controlled the Sun. Getting beat again by Celestia would not have done anything. By getting beat by 6 normal Ponies, Luna was humbled enough to accept forgiveness from Celestia.

I actually don't even have a problem with what Celestia did but rather the way she did it. As she stated at the end of the 2nd ep., all she told Twilight is that she needed to make friends. That's Kenobi levels of truth. That's excluding the rest of the country who has no clue what's going on. In addition she had no clue about the quality of Twilight's friends or even if Twilight had made any friends at all.

I'll accept your reason as to why it had to be a bunch of normal ponies to beat Luna.

OMG Aero said:
Celestia couldn't beat Nightmare Moon because she doesn't have any friends.

Lol Forever Alone.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jarmel said:
I actually don't even have a problem with what Celestia did but rather the way she did it. As she stated at the end of the 2nd ep., all she told Twilight is that she needed to make friends. That's Kenobi levels of truth. That's excluding the rest of the country who has no clue what's going on. In addition she had no clue about the quality of Twilight's friends or even if Twilight had made any friends at all.

I'll accept your reason as to why it had to be a bunch of normal ponies to beat Luna.

Could also look at it as Celestia's only concern was getting her sister back. Might have not been the right thing for a leader to do, but emotions trump all and she missed her sister.

She also had faith that Twilight would learn how the Elements work. Not to give twilight too big a head, but the other 5 were really inconsequential other than their participation. She probably could have taken any 5.

Jarmel said:

Also, "I have this giant batman gambit, whose success will determine the fate of the world, and it relies on my star pupil to make some friends. It makes perfect sense for me to allow this student to ignore social interaction in favor of studying until THE DAY BEFORE THE APOCALYPSE."

Okay, that one isn't Celestia trolling, but it is some fridge logic and it's been bugging me.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
DrForester said:
Could also look at it as Celestia's only concern was getting her sister back. Might have not been the right thing for a leader to do, but emotions trump all and she missed her sister.

She also had faith that Twilight would learn how the Elements work. Not to give twilight too big a head, but the other 5 were really inconsequential other than their participation. She probably could have taken any 5.

I think that her faith in Twilight was the more likely of reasons.

She needed someone to save the day, and perhaps she didn't think that the Elements of Harmony would work for her anymore (seeing as they were withered and crumbling in the dark Everfree Forest).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ahoyhoy said:
I think that her faith in Twilight was the more likely of reasons.

She needed someone to save the day, and perhaps she didn't think that the Elements of Harmony would work for her anymore (seeing as they were withered and crumbling in the dark Everfree Forest).

Well expanding on my previous statements. The elements only defeated NMM. Celestia had done that, and probably could have done it again. The elements had nothing to do with getting Luna back, which is what Celestia wanted.

edit: Love the avatar.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
DrForester said:
Well expanding on my previous statements. The elements only defeated NMM. Celestia had done that, and probably could have done it again. The elements had nothing to do with getting Luna back, which is what Celestia wanted.

edit: Love the avatar.

So Celestia just needed to show NMM that it is possible for a loner to make new friends?

If that's the case, do the Elements of Harmony really have any practical power? Maybe that whole thing with the jewelry and glowing eyes was just for show?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ahoyhoy said:
So Celestia just needed to show NMM that it is possible for a loner to make new friends?

If that's the case, do the Elements of Harmony really have any practical power? Maybe that whole thing with the jewelry and glowing eyes was just for show?

They can defeat evil, but it was ultimately up to Luna to accept forgiveness, the elements didn't force her to accept it.

Honestly I'm not sure at all where the series was attempting to go with the whole Nightmare Moon thing considering the show does an about-face on that style and becomes slice of life right after the pilot. Without an established villain there wasn't much else that could have happened, though I'm not sure what the pilot's plot type was supposed to mean for the show anyway...

All in all there were bits of it that worked and reappeared as major overall themes (friendship is magic, overcome difficulty through teamwork etc.) and then there were parts that bit the dust following the first two episodes and haven't been mentioned or referenced since (mane cast's ability to use the elements of harmony, what the purpose of having them defeat nightmare moon was besides freeing luna [who hardly even appears after that] and learning about friendship, why they even set up NMM as a villain just for two episodes in the first place...).

I just attribute that to the fact that the show ended up taking a very different route after the first two episodes where there was little overarching plot besides the gala storyline, most episodes being able to be enjoyed in varying orders.

BDGAME

Darte said:
Hmm I could use a bell-eve avatar mixed in with the one I have currently. Help me out pony/photoshop gaf!

I try make with my GIMP from ubuntu. See if you like the idea of one of these 2:

1y8xzc.png
s0y00g.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Epic Tier
Human Ponies

Top Tier
Fluttershy
Rarity

Middle Tier
Twilight Sparkle
Pinkie Pie

Low Tier
Applejack
Rainbow Dash

Sblargh

Banned
Hexadecimalt said:
Honestly I'm not sure at all where the series was attempting to go with the whole Nightmare Moon thing considering the show does an about-face on that style and becomes slice of life right after the pilot. Without an established villain there wasn't much else that could have happened, though I'm not sure what the pilot's plot type was supposed to mean for the show anyway...

All in all there were bits of it that worked and reappeared as major overall themes (friendship is magic, overcome difficulty through teamwork etc.) and then there were parts that bit the dust following the first two episodes and haven't been mentioned or referenced since (mane cast's ability to use the elements of harmony, what the purpose of having them defeat nightmare moon was besides freeing luna [who hardly even appears after that] and learning about friendship, why they even set up NMM as a villain just for two episodes in the first place...).

I just attribute that to the fact that the show ended up taking a very different route after the first two episodes where there was little overarching plot besides the gala storyline, most episodes being able to be enjoyed in varying orders.

Does Luna appear on a single episode after the pilot?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DrForester said:
You like girly girls and don't like tomboys.

Im plenty man enough thank you also my penis is huge and I dont feel intimidated at all by females possessing character traits commonly associated with masculinity.

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME

Neki

EatChildren said:
Epic Tier
Human Ponies

Top Tier
Fluttershy
Rarity

Middle Tier
Twilight Sparkle
Pinkie Pie

Low Tier
Applejack
Rainbow Dash

at least twilight and pinkie are above applejack and rainbow dash.

kinda approve.

mech ponies > human ponies confirmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom