• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Owlowiscious said:
i couldn't play that game more than an hour. having to unlock your first item = fail. yes i know you can unlock everything in an hour. that's if you're good at shooting things. i'm terrible at it. that's why i'm a medic/engineer in most games. but in bf2:bc2 you have to level up just to get a healing kit. wtf

I've played both console and PC versions and I had Medkits, ammo packs, etc, all unlocked when I started. Maybe they changed it?

ChuckNoLuck said:
dashangryface.gif

And I'm up for some BFBC2, Pankaks.

:D

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
Myke Greywolf said:
Daniel Ingram create a Soundcloud page, and the first track he posted in it is something very interesting for MLP:FiM fans: A demo version of the MLP:FiM theme sung by Shannon Chan-Kent, Pinkie Pie's singing voice.

Delightful stuff. :)
Shannon is a fantastic singer.

Owlowiscious said:
here's a picture of me in my CMC hoodie

http://i.imgur.com/fpuCP.png[IMG]

also maybe at the midnight premiere for harry potter[/QUOTE]
Nice hoodie! I remember being tempted to buy when when I saw that thread go up. I need to get some sort of MLP shirt to wear around - all I have now are some pins. WeLoveFine just released a new batch of officially licensed T-shirts, and some of them are pretty nice:

[IMG]http://www.welovefine.com/img/p/492-1312-large.jpg
487-1306-large.jpg

However, I think I'll still wait until the end of the contest before buying anything.

Calpain

Time to party down! Done with the GRE and increased my overall score by 150 points!
Edit: Dang, beaten to it.:p
Quinnjaminn said:
Nice hoodie! I remember being tempted to buy when when I saw that thread go up. I need to get some sort of MLP shirt to wear around - all I have now are some pins. WeLoveFine just released a new batch of officially licensed T-shirts, and some of them are pretty nice:
WeLoveFine's newest batch does have some pretty sweet looking stuff, certainly an improvement over their first batch.

The Ingram thing is also pretty cool, Shannon really does have one killer voice!

Owlowiscious said:
I'd say you can start as all classes except spy (maybe scout too) and be fine. All depends on your playstyle

Most are user firendly enough that it's workable, but some work better for newbies than others. I think pyro and medic are probably the easiest to learn for newbies.

McNum

Amibguous Cad said:
Most are user firendly enough that it's workable, but some work better for newbies than others. I think pyro and medic are probably the easiest to learn for newbies.
Just ran some botmatches and did the tutorials. Looks like I'm a Pyro/Heavy guy. Granted, it's just bots, but I got the feel of it. Only problem with Heavy: Need moar bullet. 200 bullets sound like a lot, but with that gun, it's not. The Pyro is easier since it's practically a melee class as far as I can tell. I get the dropped weapons there. Also one Pyro lesson learned already: Air Blast can put out friendlies on fire. Bet that's handy. I get the feeling that I might like the melee Demoman, but I don't have a sword. Or a shield.

EDIT: I ran across a good argument for Heavy in the newbie forum for TF2: Even a Heavy played by a newbie is still a meatshield and the damage the newbie Heavy takes is damage that people who know what they're doing doesn't have to. Makes sense to me!

Wow, Zomba13 showed up in the Giantbomb TNT. I was like, is that actually him, and then pinkiepieshrug.jpg appeared, in a duel notice no less. Good show dude.

Narag

Captain Fish said:
Wow, Zomba13 showed up in the Giantbomb TNT. I was like, is that actually him, and then pinkiepieshrug.jpg appeared, in a duel notice no less. Good show dude.

I saw them talking about that in the TF2 thread last night. Good stuff.

Calpain

Captain Fish said:
That kinda bummed me out. Some of the fanon stuff wasn't meant to be played seriously in-universe. Besides, the population is awkwardly nervous around Celestia just because she's the monarch, without any extra rationales.
She does get an unnecessary bum wrap most of the time it seems. It's sort of funny when it's tongue in cheek, but there are people out there who do take it too far and too seriously. The best representation of Luna and Celestia I have seen has been as loving sisters like we see in Ego's comics.

Chuck

Still without luck
Captain Fish said:
Zomba13 (a ponyGAFfer) showed up in Giantbomb.com's multiplayer show TNT (Thursday Night Throwdown) where they were playing TF2 with the community.
He also had two duels with the one and only Will Smith, and I think he won both. He also got Gary Whitta to say My Little Pony again.

Cheerilee

Calpain said:
She does get an unnecessary bum wrap most of the time it seems. It's sort of funny when it's tongue in cheek, but there are people out there who do take it too far and too seriously. The best representation of Luna and Celestia I have seen has been as loving sisters like we see in Ego's comics.
Egophiliac sometimes goes too far in the other direction (not always). When he "explores Celestia's pain" it makes me want to gag, because it goes too far in trying to make Celestia look blameless (making Luna look unnecessarily bad by extension), and makes Celestia look much weaker than I envision her.

The above comic is bad because it assumes Egophiliac's brand of (IMO) too-far emotional ponies as the true depictions, and then hits them with the ugly side of the internet, apparently in both an attempt to gain sympathy against any other depictions (it even goes as far as to reject Derpy's name), and because the artists of these emo ponies will find any excuse to hit their ponies and make them cry.

Calpain said:
I don't know; I think tyrant Celestia and trollestia readings are plausible if unlikely interpretations of her character. It's not like they're drawing on nothing; the questions of whether the 1000 year fate-worse-than-death was a proportionate punishment for Luna's transgressions was a valid one. While fears of banishment can be plausibly brushed off as comic overstatement, the other side has a point in pointing out their omnipresnce- it seems to be a concern of every character that displeases her. And the claim of the opposition that she was almost responsible for Rarity's death, given that it was the cosmic force directly under her portfolio, striking down a mortal who had dared to adopt the trappings of divinity (horns and wings), in the exact same pose as the divinity raising the sun, cannot be dismissed as hogwash.

It's far from the best-supported interpretation of her character, nor the most charitable, but it has a solid textual basis.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amibguous Cad said:
I don't know; I think tyrant Celestia and trollestia readings are plausible if unlikely interpretations of her character. It's not like they're drawing on nothing; the questions of whether the 1000 year fate-worse-than-death was a proportionate punishment for Luna's transgressions was a valid one. While fears of banishment can be plausibly brushed off as comic overstatement, the other side has a point in pointing out their omnipresnce- it seems to be a concern of every character that displeases her. And the claim of the opposition that she was almost responsible for Rarity's death, given that it was the cosmic force directly under her portfolio, striking down a mortal who had dared to adopt the trappings of divinity (horns and wings), in the exact same pose as the divinity raising the sun, cannot be dismissed as hogwash.

It's far from the best-supported interpretation of her character, nor the most charitable, but it has a solid textual basis.

Luna tried to kill everything in Equestria (would have been the end result of no sunlight).

Far as people being "afraid" of her, it's no different than the harry Potter series and how everything thinks Dumbledore's going to go all out in punishments. They're just afraid of disappointing someone they look up to.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
AceBandage said:
You guys are seriously over thinking all this...
Here, I'll explain it.

Luna=Moe
Celstia=Not

People just like Luna because she's a blank slate they can attribute any personality profile to because she has no character.

..and the adorable design.

Calpain

Myke Greywolf said:
CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS KIDNAPPING VICTIMS! YAY!!
Awesome comics
Heh, those were great. Here's another by the same guy.

ruby_onix said:
Egophiliac sometimes goes too far in the other direction (not always). When he "explores Celestia's pain" it makes me want to gag, because it goes too far in trying to make Celestia look blameless (making Luna look unnecessarily bad by extension), and makes Celestia look much weaker than I envision her.

The above comic is bad because it assumes Egophiliac's brand of (IMO) too-far emotional ponies as the true depictions, and then hits them with the ugly side of the internet, apparently in both an attempt to gain sympathy against any other depictions (it even goes as far as to reject Derpy's name), and because the artists of these emo ponies will find any excuse to hit their ponies and make them cry.

I can agree with Ego going a little too far at times, but her depiction of the two is still one of my personal favorites for the sappy factor. Looking through the comics though, I can also agree that Celestia does appear to have less blame for the whole affair. Then again, how much do we actually know about the incident from the intro considering how few elaborate details we were given? On the other hand, I never really got the impression from her comics of Celestia being weaker due to the level of sadness over her sister, but that's just me.

Ambiguous Cad said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know there is enough contextual information from the show to come up with the whole tyrant/troll Celestia the fans have created. Similar to what Ruby said, it's when depictions of it are taken to extremes are when things get muddy. In the end full on tyrant Celestia and full on sympathetic Celestia make for less interesting characters than a character that is an amalgamation of the two characteristics.

But as DrForester has mentioned before she reminds me of Dumbledore a lot: people are afraid of displeasing him and even in situations where he could have saved the day or solved problems for the main cast he knew when to take a back seat to things and let the heroes show their strengths and grow as individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom