• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acerac

Banned
Always the best list

1-Rarity
2-Fluttershy
3-Pinkie Pie
4-Rainbow Dash
5-Twilight Sparkle
6-Applejack

RBD would be higher if she actually knew how to be consistently funny but unfortunately she doesn't. She is by far the most awesome pony, but that's not enough considering the competition.

I still love scootabuse though.
fIIWj.png

*Edit*

I'd make Applejack lower if I could. Insert all minor characters ahead of her, including the metrosexual water beast from the pilot episode.

Acerac

Banned
DrForester said:
negative, and you can't rank Luna as a character, because she has no character.
All minor characters are better than Applejack.

Braeburn is a better character than Applejack.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Acerac said:
All minor characters are better than Applejack.

Braeburn is a better character than Applejack.

Braeburn has more of an established character than Luna, Derpy has more of an established character than Luna (just by going on stuff in the show)

Acerac

Banned
DrForester said:
Braeburn has more of an established character than Luna, Derpy has more of an established character than Luna (just by going on stuff in the show)
Do you not consider Nightmare Moon to be the same character as Luna?

If you don't, ok. Personally I do.

Even without counting them as the same character, the 3 seconds we've gotten of Luna are STILL better than Applejack.

DrForester said:

You're way off your rocker about Derpy... and only slightly less so about Braeburn. A lack of literal screen time doesn't preclude charcterization. We know how she acted as Nightmare Moon, we know a historical account of her actions before she was banished, and we have a reaction to her. In short, we have a history; we know more about the experiences that made her her than we know about even Twilight.

We may have little explicit characterization, and it wouldn't surprise me if most fanon depictions of Luna were off base compared to what we get in season 2, but neither is she a blank slate. I think the convergence of fandom characterizations of her shows that there are strong signals in some directions.

Why do you guys all dislike Applejack so much? I find her to be a nice counterpoint to the other ponies because she usually remains rather grounded while they're all off getting into one kind of trouble or another.

Roy G. Biv said:
Why do you guys all dislike Applejack so much? I find her to be a nice counterpoint to the other ponies because she usually remains rather grounded while they're all off getting into one kind of trouble or another.

I think most of it is overstated. I like Applejack, I just like all the others better. She just doesn't have the same number of great moments the other ponies do.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Amibguous Cad said:
She just doesn't have the same number of great moments the other ponies do.

People need to rewatch Applebuck Season a couple more times.

Narag

Roy G. Biv said:

She's so plain!

Her character eps all aired way early so she's less memorable.

ZealousD said:
People need to rewatch Applebuck Season a couple more times.
qpOfB.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amibguous Cad said:
You're way off your rocker about Derpy... and only slightly less so about Braeburn. A lack of literal screen time doesn't preclude charcterization. We know how she acted as Nightmare Moon, we know a historical account of her actions before she was banished, and we have a reaction to her. In short, we have a history; we know more about the experiences that made her her than we know about even Twilight.

We may have little explicit characterization, and it wouldn't surprise me if most fanon depictions of Luna were off base compared to what we get in season 2, but neither is she a blank slate. I think the convergence of fandom characterizations of her shows that there are strong signals in some directions.

yes, but according to Faust, Nightmare Moon also came about as some type of evil outside force. We don't know anything about the character at Pinkies party at the end of episode 2.

Narag

DrForester said:
yes, but according to Faust, Nightmare Moon also came about as some type of evil outside force. We don't know anything about the character at Pinkies party at the end of episode 2.

Corrupted by the forces of Chaos, I say. Even the God Empress of Ponykind's most favored sister fell prey to the influence.

Amibguous Cad said:
Celestia redeemed

I saw this pic and I think it's dawww and all, but if Luna was gallivanting around with The Doctor, where does Nightmare Moon come in?

Unless the Doctor is from AFTER Nightmare Moon's defeat by Twilight and friends and Celestia wanted Luna to have a better 1000 year sentence.

Totally just non-serious rambling

Acerac

Banned
Roy G. Biv said:
She just seems so boring compared to all the other ponies. They all have something that makes them awesome, and what does she have? Apples? The fact that she enjoys money?

I think the moment the illustrated it best for me was the song At the Gala where everypony is saying their big dreams for the Gala and Applejack says "Sell some apples". The fuck? You go to the most prestigious party in the kingdom and you just care about selling some apple fritters?

To top it off, she has coins as her background during the song. What, her expectation is that she can gouge all these rich ponies at their party? Oh yeah, I'm sure they don't serve food at the GGG, BRILLIANT plan AJ.

I'm glad her carnival fare didn't sell. Fuck Applejack.

Ellis Kim

Banned
What the fuck D:

Why do people hold unnatural animosity against one pony or another.

Applejack has a lot of redeeming qualities. You accuse AJ of being some sort of money grubber as if none of the other ponies have any sort of character flaw to speak of :/

Acerac

Banned
Oh, all the ponies have huge faults. They also have stuff that makes them awesome.

I don't watch this show because Applejack works hard. I watch it because of Pinkie's zaniness, Fluttershy's over the top cuteness, RBD's absurdly extreme attitude, etc. etc. If AJ brought something to the table that made me enjoy her character like all the other ponies do, I'm sure I'd appreciate her. However she's got nothing.

Even in episodes centered around her she makes me dislike her. Oh look you're trying too hard and ruining EVERYTHING by being stubborn. What's this, you're jealous because another pony has attributes you don't? Hey, instead of reasonably discussing a problem let's start a fucking war over it.

She's also the least capable pony in most circumstances. She makes other ponies gimp themselves so that she can feel better about herself.

*Edit*

Ooh, Scientology ad on the bottom of the page. Ominous. =/

Narag

Ellis Kim said:
What the fuck D:

Why do people hold unnatural animosity against one pony or another.

Applejack has a lot of redeeming qualities. You accuse AJ of being some sort of money grubber as if none of the other ponies have any sort of character flaw to speak of :/

It's playful fanon a la tyrant celestia.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Dude.

You are so bitter. Did Applejack pee in your breakfast or something? I think she acts as a great foil for Rainbow Dash and Rarity for starkly different reasons, and I think that her entire point is to be pretty down to earth.

In your list of "positive" attributes of the ponies, what would you give Twilight Sparkle? I have a hard time imagining you giving her something as equally "out there" next to the likes of Pinkie and Rainbow Dash.

CHEEZMO™ said:
How doesn't it?
Where does Nightmare Moon fit into this?

Jintor

It's not like I hate Applejack, but she's just... borin'. It doesn't help that I dislike the rural America cowgirl archetypecharacter.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ellis Kim said:
In your list of "positive" attributes of the ponies, what would you give Twilight Sparkle? I have a hard time imagining you giving her something as equally "out there" next to the likes of Pinkie and Rainbow Dash.
twilight is adorkable. you don't need to be a living trope to have positive character traits, you just have to be made of something other than wood.

Acerac

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
Dude.

You are so bitter. Did Applejack pee in your breakfast or something? I think she acts as a great foil for Rainbow Dash and Rarity for starkly different reasons, and I think that her entire point is to be pretty down to earth.

Where does Nightmare Moon fit into this?
I'm not bitter. I was asked why I dislike Applejack and I explained. She is the one part of the show that hasn't won me over from my initial skepticism; every other part of the show has been awesome at one point or another. Applejack? She just consistently sucks; it is like a running gag. I suppose that is a positive quality.

Twilight Sparkle is spared by her performances in a few episodes like Swarm of the Century and Look Before you Sleep. Granted, she is just barely saved from being Applejack tier on the basis that she can occasionally be hilarious. Also sparing her is the fact that she is actually legitimately useful when it comes to being productive on the show. If you think it is petty of me to consider usefulness when it comes to ranking ponies, then they should stop having episodes where it is a main focus. That being said, they're both far away from the top 4.

Absolute no changing final list of the best ponies of the mane cast of MLP:FIM*

1. Twilight Sparkle
2. Pinkie Pie
3. Apple Jack
4. Rainbow Dash
5. Rarity
6. Fluttershy

Orcastar

Begun, the pony ranking wars have.

Personally I don't dislike any of the characters in the show. No wait, that's a lie: I hate Gilda.
That bitch.
Anyway, I still like AJ even if she is at the bottom of my list. Sure, she needs more charactreization compared to the rest of the mane 6, but I'm sure we'll get that in season 2. And her accent is adorable.

Ellis Kim said:
Way to turn what's supposed to be zany slapstick into something sad and heartwarming. I like it.

Jenga

Banned
bronies have taken the furry torch

now even furries disown you people

then of course we are all reminded they masturbate in fur suits with diapers, but you guys are still pretty bad

OMG Aero

All this hate makes AJ a sad pony :(

Amibguous Cad said:
Alright guys

It's time.

Time to figure out truly which pony is the most beloved of ponyGAF!

Clearly what we need to settle these disputes is a scientific poll.

So if you want a say in the official (official because I say they are!) PonyGAF rankings, PM me your pony rankings!

Mane 6 cast only, at least for now. No ties; you're gonna have to choose between your beloved ones. Your top choice will get 6 points, your second 5 points, third 4 points, and so on. The pony with the most points wins, though I'll be keeping track of relative position as well.

Polling will end next Sunday night, July 24. I'll be posting reminders of this post periodically if people don't find it too annoying =P
You are a terrible person for making me choose between Pinkie and Rarity.

Edit: Should probably post what I voted too
1. Fluttershy
2. Twilight
3. Rarity
4. Pinkie
5. Applejack
6. Rainbow Dash
Come at me Dash fans

Whogie

Amibguous Cad said:
Alright guys

It's time.

Time to figure out truly which pony is the most beloved of ponyGAF!

Voted.
1. Rarity
2. Twilight
3. Pinkie Pie
4. Applejack
5. Rainbow Dash
6. Fluttershy

(I don't dislike any though)

I predict Fluttershy will get first, and Applejack last.

Jintor

Just so everypony knows, I'm not participating in this because I hate ranking characters. Or anything, really. Unless it's for boss fights.

Calpain

Jintor said:
Just so everypony knows, I'm not participating in this because I hate ranking characters. Or anything, really. Unless it's for boss fights.
Same here. I might like Twilight a little more than the rest, but I really like them all just about equally and don't really feel like ranking them so I'm out.

Cheerilee

Also not participating in the ranking. All the ponies are different flavors of greatness.

I will say that Applejack might be my least liked character because she's somewhat boring, but my appreciation of her jumped when I realized she's constantly trying to overcompensate for severe feelings of inadequacy.

Rainbow Dash is probably Best Pony, because I enjoy her kind of awesome. But she seemed shallow until I realized her depth. That seems to be a key in my favorites, awesome + flaws. Rarity and Fluttershy are lacking in deep flaws (that I'm aware of). Twilight and Pinkie Pie have moderate flaws.

I think Scootaloo is best CMC not really because of her reflected Rainbow Dash awesome (although Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell have even less greatness), but because of her many flaws. Also, seeing Rainbow Dash randomly show up to support Scootaloo's talent show appearance proved my belief that Rainbow Dash is Best Pony.

OMG Aero

ruby_onix said:
Rainbow Dash is probably Best Pony, because I enjoy her kind of awesome. But she seemed shallow until I realized her depth. That seems to be a key in my favorites, awesome + flaws. Rarity and Fluttershy are lacking in deep flaws (that I'm aware of). Twilight and Pinkie Pie have moderate flaws.
Really? It's even in her name.
Thnikkaman said:
Ranking cartoon horses is dumb and you should be ashamed of yourselves.
There's nothing wrong with saying who your favourite characters are. I'm sure for most people they are all very close anyway, I for one like all the main characters.

Calpain

OMG Aero said:
Really? It's even in her name.

There's nothing wrong with saying who your favourite characters are. I'm sure for most people they are all very close anyway, I for one like all the main characters.

Sometimes I think the problem is that when you rank them, ponies that end up low on the list seems to imply at times a dislike for the character or something even if a majority of us (I think) like all the main characters in their own way.

2th

Banned
Jenga said:
bronies have taken the furry torch

now even furries disown you people

then of course we are all reminded they masturbate in fur suits with diapers, but you guys are still pretty bad

Thou shalt burn in hell for such a comment. Burn I say to thee!

Nice job Panda!

Wow that was some nonsense on the previous page.

Applejack is great. She's great at being a support character to other members of the mane 6, but isn't always the straight man. Some of my favorite moments of the show were interactions between her and another pony. Some examples include: Twilight Crying, Pinkie Pie stare-down, All of 'look before you sleep' and 'fall weather friends' and helping Fshy up the mountain in Dragonshy.

She has responsibilities and throws herself into them. She volunteers to help out her friends, family and hometown because she wants to.

She even gets a couple of cool action scenes despite her earth pony 'handicap.'

It's kinda disgusting to call her greedy for wanting to get some nice things (read: nicer home and medical procedures) for her family. Sure it may not be the most fantastic goal, but it's one I can relate to more than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom