• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

Tenumi

Banned
For all the talk I see of the fandom dying and what-not, it seems to be doing quite the opposite. Heck, at Phoenix Comicon this year Pony had a much bigger presence.

I haven't seen a thing about the fandom dying, beyond the usual "Hasbro does something, Pony is doomed!" people.

I haven't seen a thing about the fandom dying, beyond the usual "Hasbro does something, Pony is doomed!" people.

I don't see it here, but other places. Mostly I was talking about the "Hasbro does X therefore Pony is DOOMED" crowd. It's actually awesome to see such a unique fandom continue to grow and not whither and die out (which it could have easily done). Shows that MLP is more than just a flash-in-the-pan internet fad.

Also, I haven't seen anyone pay homage to the Muffin Queen in a while:

I5NN7nD.png

PaulloDEC

For all the talk I see of the fandom dying and what-not, it seems to be doing quite the opposite. Heck, at Phoenix Comicon this year Pony had a much bigger presence.

I think the fandom probably still has a few good years in it. I can't really see it getting much bigger than it is now (unless things really go nuts in Season 5), but I don't see why it shouldn't remain fairly stable as long as the series is still airing, and still good.

I think there's probably a perception among the fandom that the slowdown in stuff like fan-music is indicative of a decline in popularity. That initial creative boom was never going to last, but I think the fandom in general is probably pretty safe.

That was cute.

Also, love your avatar. BitF for the win. (I still want a DeDeDe Doll...)

Thanks. I was originally going to use a panel from the Brawl in the Family comic with a bunch of gags involving Sonic's eyes, but I discovered they looked really bad shrunken down, so I went to random issues until I found a panel I thought would work and ended up with this. In any case, the Sonic one would have left me open to "avatar quote" responses.

Also, it took me a while to actually get around to reading this, but Equestria Daily had a nice interview with Heather Breckel, the most frequent colorist of the comics.

pariah164

Welp, here's the reveal. I apologize in advance for the image spam. I would also like to note I am not happy with most of the tails; this is because Hasbro, in all their infinite wisdom, decided not to make them as voluminous as they are with the single pack ponies, resulting in tangles and rough-feeling ends that I would have cut off if it didn't spook me so bad.

That said, let me begin.

I am pretty okay with how this came out, considering. No, I did not cut her hair, it's just curled, almost like a bob. I think she looks cute with short hair, and besides, this is punk, and it's all about changing looks, amirite? I do my best to keep Cutie Marks visible, so that helped in that regard as well.

Ah, Twilight. I like how she came out, though it's not my fave. I do really like how the opposite side of her mane came out.

See? So intricate. Amazing what warm water, bobby pins, and straws can do for a pony. It's not the neatest arrangement, but again, goth.

Sigh. Oh, Rainbow Dash, what am I going to do with you? They make your hair long when it shouldn't be, and I'm scared to death of trimming it. Though on the plus side, it looks like she's wearing a badass scarf. I would redo it if it weren't for one thing.

Dat wave doe. I may still redo her one day and see what I can do better.

Yeah, remember how I said I wasn't going for show-accurate styles? This still managed to happen. Not sure how. This is probably one of my favorites of the bunch as far as results go. I was shocked when I finally took off everything and saw how she came out. Also, deliriously happy.

"Um, I'm going to play some death metal now, i-if that's okay..."

Another one I was pretty dang happy with. Dem curls. Pinkie Pie has curls for days, and I tried to spread them out a bit, but I liked the smoothness of them together too much. I may go back and poke at them some, but for the most part, I'm leaving. Business in the front...

Party in the back! Or should that be 'par-tay'? Either or.

MY QUEEN. <3 Another one I was happy with. I knew it would come out decent, since I employed the same technique on my normal Rarity (except for the tail). It was still nice to take out everything and see the mane nearly bounce right into place. Fabulous, darling!

Those more savvy may realize I made up three more ponies besides those in the pack.

Glitter!Pinkie, AKA that Target exclusive. I almost considered getting some glitter and adding it to her hair when I wet it down, but thought better of it. Once again, tight curls rule the day.

Still a party, though.

Lyra looks like a movie star, and this is not a bad thing. It came out different than how I imagined, but I'm okay with this. Trixie, on the other hand... ugh. Out of all of them I did, I want to redo her the most. That one side of her mane went all FUBAR, and I have no idea why. Maybe it was the humidity. Maybe a magic trick went bad. Who knows? Either way, it will get fixed, probably when I do the hair on my Fashion Style Luna.

Well, hope you like what I did. They were fun to do.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Welp, here's the reveal. I apologize in advance for the image spam. I would also like to note I am not happy with most of the tails; this is because Hasbro, in all their infinite wisdom, decided not to make them as voluminous as they are with the single pack ponies, resulting in tangles and rough-feeling ends that I would have cut off if it didn't spook me so bad.

That said, let me begin.

(...)

Well, hope you like what I did. They were fun to do.
All of those look really awesome, and I can attest that it is pretty tricky to work with that hair, since I tried it myself - and it was just a simple Applejack!

pariah164

While I like short hair Lyra, your lyra is my favorite from your post.
Damn, Heartstrings looks amazing...
Thank you! Her hair was a pleasant surprise; not sure I could replicate it.

All of those look really awesome, and I can attest that it is pretty tricky to work with that hair, since I tried it myself - and it was just a simple Applejack!
Thanks. And yes, it is. I pretty much just freestyled it on my first ponies until I found a way that worked.

fs02.gif

gen 5 3dcg future

If Hasbro ever decides to make a CG pony movie/show for some reason, they should use these models.

hey all I came across some news and thought you all would be interested in seeing it

If someone else saw it and wanted to post this news first I'm sure they can post in this thread and let me know

Hoping for the best for JanAnimations. His/their(?) work is impressive stuff.

By the way, you know how the marathon on the Hub has Q&A sessions with the characters? It turns out it's just the Hot Topic videos (like this one) chopped up, apparently. Speaking of which, remember when the Twilight one came out and it had the very first post-season-3 clip we had? Then it turned out to be from Equestria Girls? Good times.

PaulloDEC

Tiberius needs to be in the show.

I agree with this, even if he just makes a sneaky cameo sometime.

Kinda odd, but why not, I guess?

hey all I came across some news and thought you all would be interested in seeing it

Nice to see some positive news surrounding this. Hope they work something out.

gen 5 3dcg future

This keeps looking better and better.

10 minute preview of the fan-made movie, Journey of the Spark. I won't have time to watch it quite yet, or rather there are other things I'm more interested in watching, but a quick skim shows that the plot appears to be the same as in the previous previews. This just goes and shows the danger of big fan projects: production started in 2012 and will finish in 2015, and as a result, it still features Twilight as a unicorn and Discord as a villain. The plot also covers much territory that is covered by later episodes; not to mention how the story of Twilight running away after failing is already similar to season 2's "The Last Roundup". In any case, the previous previews made the story seem too... emo for my taste.

EDIT: And hey, the shrug set has finally been completed after three years!

Top Bottom