• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

McNum

For those of you who missed the news in the PonyGaf IRC and don't check Off Topic much, I have some bad news to share with you.

Hitokage has passed away.

Terrible news, really, and only 31 years old.

I sort of feel like we, as PonyGaf should do... something. In the early, rockier days of PonyGaf, Hitokage was the one mod we knew we could count on. I dare say, that PonyGaf as it is right now probably wouldn't exist without him. And now he's gone. And Gaf is lesser without him.

It might be... I don't know... but maybe we, as PonyGaf should make a joint statement? Would be a nice little tribute, I suppose. Just tossing it out as an idea. We have plenty of art skills here if we wanted a drawing of sorts, but I'm not sure if that would be... proper. I'm not really thinking right right now.

Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up to those of you who missed it.

Rest in peace Hitokage. You will be missed.

PaulloDEC

For those of you who missed the news in the PonyGaf IRC and don't check Off Topic much, I have some bad news to share with you.

Hitokage has passed away.

Terrible news, really, and only 31 years old.

I sort of feel like we, as PonyGaf should do... something. In the early, rockier days of PonyGaf, Hitokage was the one mod we knew we could count on. I dare say, that PonyGaf as it is right now probably wouldn't exist without him. And now he's gone. And Gaf is lesser without him.

It might be... I don't know... but maybe we, as PonyGaf should make a joint statement? Would be a nice little tribute, I suppose. Just tossing it out as an idea. We have plenty of art skills here if we wanted a drawing of sorts, but I'm not sure if that would be... proper. I'm not really thinking right right now.

Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up to those of you who missed it.

Rest in peace Hitokage. You will be missed.

I only really remember Hitokage by name, but this is saddening news regardless. 31 is far too young.

A little statement from the community would be a nice thing to share, though I'm not sure about artwork. Go too far and it starts to look like PonyGAF trying to draw attention to itself, and some people here might take offense to that (or just plain not like it).

Just my two cents. I'm sure he'd be glad to know he had people in PonyGAF thinking of him.

McNum

Yeah, we should probably not post a pony in that thread. Would be improper. But an "On behalf of PonyGaf" thing might work. I don't know. Tired and a bit overwhelmed by the news. Not really thinking straight.

Yeah, we should probably not post a pony in that thread. Would be improper. But an "On behalf of PonyGaf" thing might work. I don't know. Tired and a bit overwhelmed by the news. Not really thinking straight.

Or just, go there individualy and post. IT doesn't have to be pony related at all.

Zelias

Banned
I didn't know Hitokage except by name/his posts, and I'm not that active in PonyGAF, so I don't know how much my opinion here counts, but I feel like any pony tribute might be best kept to this thread. Given GAF's general attitude towards ponies, posting anything in the main thread might not really have the intended effect. So...

Or just, go there individualy and post. IT doesn't have to be pony related at all.
This.

It's terrible to hear what happened to Hitokage. I never really got to interact with him, but I generally liked his posts during my lurking phase.

==

I got around to watching that preview of the fan movie "Journey of the Spark" that I posted at the end of last page (link again), and it was better than I expected. The Discord voice is great, and the others are acceptable. The song was nice, though it was already previewed a year ago. Still, this all would have been a lot more impressive if the show hadn't already turned Discord good and if the comics hadn't already brought back Chrysalis planning to separate Twilight from her friends--and that had the added twist that she expected them to get back together and actually intended to feed on the boost in love from their reunion. The perils of a four year production time on a fan movie; though I suppose no one could have really expected as many changes happening as they did in seasons 3 and 4.

And even disregarding that, the story of Twilight being rejected by her friends and placing herself in exile, her friends realizing how wrong they were and going off to look for Twilight, Canterlot being conquered by Discord while they're gone, and them all coming back to defeat him sounds like a real slog. Plus, archmage is pronounced with a "ch" sound in Gargoyles, and I'm willing to trust Greg Weisman on this over Twilight in that video >_>.

==

Anyway, this is pretty neat. The Hub's new promo is the opening theme... without any ponies in it (no Discord either). So Spike visits a ghost town where apples roll right up to rabbits for them to eat, and sends a photo to an empty throne room to show just a nice hill he found.

Also, this gravity physics game involving sending stars to Lazy Luna is pretty neat.

On behalf of $200:

Season 4:

Castle Mane-ia: (5*4+4*1+3*1+2*0+1*0)/6 - 4.50 - new
Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 1: (5*3+4*3+3*1+2*0+1*0)/7 - 4.29
Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 2: (5*3+4*2+3*2+2*0+1*0)/7 - 4.14
Daring Don't: (5*0+4*1+3*4+2*1+1*0)/6 - 3.00 - new

S1 and S2
S3

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
8ypsjFK.jpg

It's now canon.

Bun7aVaIQAEfe4a.jpg

I think Twilight's wings look nice, particularly when they're unfurled.
There needs to be more humanized Twilight (not Equestria Girls) art with wings. Same applies to Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. And everyone, really.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think Twilight's wings look nice, particularly when they're unfurled.
There needs to be more humanized Twilight (not Equestria Girls) art with wings. Same applies to Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. And everyone, really.

I really dislike that they gave her such big wings. She's too small for them, and I think they look really off. They should have gone with regular Pegasus wings.

PaulloDEC

I'm with Sigma, I actually quite like her Princess wings. Having them bigger and more elaborate than regular Pegasus wings works in their favour for me; it highlights Twilight's lack of experience while also being representative of her status.

Zelias

Banned
My first thought was older Twilight.

All of those commissions are pretty awesome. I love Andy Price's expressions and humour.

PaulloDEC

First of all, unfortunate reminder that talking back to a mod while having an MLP avatar gets you permabanned--RIP Tenumi.

Wow, that's actually pretty upsetting. This sort of thing is why it bothers me when I see people heaping praise and adulation on others just because they're mods or admins. Running a popular forum definitely doesn't make you a good person.

What an odd little thing. It's quite a nice song, though it seems a little non-specific to be for Equestria Academy IMO. End credits for Rainbow Rocks maybe?

Weird to hear "Love and Tolerate" show up in an official song, too.

Comic issue #22 was decent enough.
I totally called that one of the police officers at the safe was the thief
. Things like the use of ropes (presumably tied to bells) instead of security lasers was cute. In the ending, I would have preferred stronger evidence for the thief's identity; an Ace Attorney villain would have continued to weasel his or her way out of the evidence the heroes gave, but whatever. It appears like the story could have more or less completely excised Fluttershy without affecting the plot, other than it being necessary for her Dangerous Mission Outfit to return. The interaction between Babs and Trixie was decently cute. Overall, this arc was OK.

Hello PonyGAF, I’d like to join this merry band if you would allow me the honour!

I'd like to do a longer introduction, but I'm not sure if that would be off-topic so I will refrain.

Up until this point, I haven't really tried anything beyond the TV show and I want to change that; any suggestions would be appreciated.

PaulloDEC

Hello PonyGAF, I’d like to join this merry band if you would allow me the honour!

I'd like to do a longer introduction, but I'm not sure if that would be off-topic so I will refrain.

Up until this point, I haven't really tried anything beyond the TV show and I want to change that; any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome! Always great to see some new faces around.

As for stuff outside the show, you'll get a lot of people around here recommending the official comics, and quite rightly too. You can find them all on Comixology for pretty reasonable prices. I'm sure there'll be lots of people with more specific suggestions regarding which issues to chase up.

If you prefer your comics to be free, Slice of Life is pretty much one of the greatest fanworks I've seen associated with the MLP community, and a brilliant comic in its own right. There's a button to read it in chronological order, which you should definitely do.

Have fun!

as above, read slice of life. required reading.

then consider watching Friendship is Witchcraft, but I can't find any links tot hem so maybe not? Oh well it's great and something that most people know about and reference.

then consider reading twilight's first day. http://muffinshire.deviantart.com/art/Comic-Twilight-s-First-Day-1-333365520

those are the basics, pony-wise. if you're also interested in equestria girls human-ponies then there'd be more to suggest. I guess. i dunno.

Zelias

Banned
The official comics are great, especially when the Cook/Price dream team is doing them.

I need to catch up on Friends Forever and the Trixie arc so I can't give any recommendations for the latest comics, but generally you'll want to read at least:

#1-4 (Chrysalis arc)
#9-10 (Zen and the Art of Gazebo Repair, Big Mac's comedic adventures)
#11-12 (Neigh Anything, story of how Shining Armor and Cadence got together)
Micro-series: Rarity
Micro-series: Celestia
Micro-series: Luna

I personally like #4-8 (Nightmare arc) and #16-19 (Reflections) too. The others are a bit of a mixed bag, you may like them, you may not.

Oh and Friends Forever #1 is actively terrible.

judhudson

I've gone back to lurking and I know I should participate more in thread discussion, but I really haven't got much to say.

Anyhow, been hard at work on revamping plushies. Came a long way from what I used to make!

Yeah, I'll also have to share my disapproval. Besides, given Tenumi's recent permaban for basically being around EviLore with a pony avatar, I imagine this is a really bad time to try to push what MLP avatars you can get away with.

Top Bottom