• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

Rainbow Rocks spoilers are coming out! Round Stable thread about it.

Sounds all well and good... except for Twilight and Brad nearly kissing. I seriously gagged a bit when I read that. Like I suspected, Twilight's plans to defeat the villains fails, but Sunset joins in and the plan succeeds. Good to see that Dougworld Twilight does appear in the end, and that they do apparently intend to have Sunset be the main character of Equestria Academy / movie 3 in the same role as Twilight in season 1 of the main show.

PaulloDEC

Rainbow Rocks spoilers are coming out! Round Stable thread about it.

Sounds all well and good... except for Twilight and Brad nearly kissing. I seriously gagged a bit when I read that. Like I suspected, Twilight's plans to defeat the villains fails, but Sunset joins in and the plan succeeds. Good to see that Dougworld Twilight does appear in the end, and that they do apparently intend to have Sunset be the main character of Equestria Academy / movie 3 in the same role as Twilight in season 1 of the main show.

Eh, I've come to terms with the Twilight/Flash stuff. I feel like as long as Twilight sticks around, that stuff will follow.

Interesting to see that they're putting a strong emphasis on Sunset Shimmer though; it'll be interesting to see if that's going where it looks like it is.

HUELEN10

So yeah, I actually bought the damn EG 1 Soundtrack that went up on iTunes within the last 24 hours. Is it bad that even after a year I still randomly hum "Helping Twilight Win The Crown"?

Huh, I'm really surprised to see so few people reacting to the spoilers. Not just here, but every forum I go to for MLP stuff. I suppose it could just be that people want to avoid spoilers, but when details about the season 4 premiere leaked, including the out-of-context fact that Discord was the villain, I saw a lot more discussion about that. Perhaps it's just that less people care about Equestria Girls now.

Anyway, this year's comic annual special was a lot of fun. I really liked the new villains (everything about Longface is brilliant) and how the Power Ponies were differentiated from the Main Six versions, particularly in how they acted like a typical "team that hates each other but still sticks together for some reason" that became so common starting in the 90's. It was amusing seeing Mistress Mare-velous acting like Wolverine in the 90's X-Men cartoon (all gruff and team-hating, but incapable of actually being violent), and... uh... Rainbow Dash being more of a Spock character. I liked the gag of how when
the Power Ponies get their powers stolen, Mistress Mare-velous just loses her lasso
. The "training montage" was a lot of fun. The amount of two-legged standing in this issue was a bit bothersome, though. As for the backup story, the art was good, but it was eh. It was also weird that the human Mane-iac also called herself that, and that the Dougworld version of the comic is still called Power Ponies (yet Dougworld Dash finds it odd that a four-legged Mane-iac appeared).

So yeah, I actually bought the damn EG 1 Soundtrack that went up on iTunes within the last 24 hours. Is it bad that even after a year I still randomly hum "Helping Twilight Win The Crown"?

Nothing wrong with that, though I still place it at the lower end of the catchy songs of the show (as in, not including the songs that aren't catchy). While we're on the subject, it still annoys me how the beat at the start with the clapping and stomping isn't actually carried through the rest of the song.

What would be cool? PONIES X never never land Peter Pan crossover.

*thinks*
Oh right, I do vaguely recall hearing about a show called "Jake and the Never-Land Pirates". Since you specified the location, you mean that show?

Nothing wrong with that, though I still place it at the lower end of the catchy songs of the show (as in, not including the songs that aren't catchy). While we're on the subject, it still annoys me how the beat at the start with the clapping and stomping isn't actually carried through the rest of the song.

*thinks*
Oh right, I do vaguely recall hearing about a show called "Jake and the Never-Land Pirates". Since you specified the location, you mean that show?

No..I don't think so.

PaulloDEC

Not as far as I'm concerned. Definitely the catchiest track from the first EG film, and I'll admit to having one or two remixes in my regular rotation.

Huh, I'm really surprised to see so few people reacting to the spoilers. Not just here, but every forum I go to for MLP stuff. I suppose it could just be that people want to avoid spoilers, but when details about the season 4 premiere leaked, including the out-of-context fact that Discord was the villain, I saw a lot more discussion about that. Perhaps it's just that less people care about Equestria Girls now.

I'd say that's the case; I imagine most people have decided by this point whether they care about EG enough to keep up with it. I'm finding myself still kinda interested, if only due to A) how much effort the production team seems to be putting into making it gel with FiM and the comics and B) Daniel Ingram's music.

Anyway, this year's comic annual special was a lot of fun.

*Snipped*

Thanks for posting your impressions! I'd been kinda waiting to see what people thought, as I'm not all that interesting in the Power Ponies stuff. I remember seeing some positive impressions from Doc over on EQD too, so I might have to take a look.

Ted Anderson's commentary on the new annual issue.

Interesting details include that:
* He was specifically told that the Power Ponies couldn't just act like the Main Six.
* Shadowmare was, indeed, at least partially based on Raven (and Ted imagines her with Raven's voice).
* The "My Little Donkey" at the end was supposed to be "My Little Human", but this was nixed by Hasbro.
* For a while, the story was going to involve Spike coming to the Power Ponies world and he would be the one to teach them about friendship, and this lasted long enough for a reference to it to appear on the solicitation (“It will take a familiar face from Equestria to even the odds!"), but they nixed the idea because the story flowed better without him and some higher-ups thought that there was getting to be too much universe-crossing in MLP already.
* Apparently in the backup issue, Mane-iac was going to travel through a wormhole, but apparently dimensional travel is only allowed through mirrors, which is why there's just an Equestria Girls mirror in her hideout for some reason.

PaulloDEC

Bit OT but some interesting news
Hasbro got the global rights to make Disney dolls starting in 2016
http://online.wsj.com/articles/hasb...sney-to-make-princess-frozen-dolls-1411569855

Should be a nice boost for the company.

A nice boost seems like an understatement! Everything I've read suggests that Frozen is still hella hot property right now, especially with the younger, doll-buying demographic.

The Hasbro execs must be rubbing their hands together hard enough to start fires at this point.

HUELEN10

Not as far as I'm concerned. Definitely the catchiest track from the first EG film, and I'll admit to having one or two remixes in my regular rotation.
Mind sharing? :3

As for the topic at hand, the reason I'm not talking much Rainbow Rocks lately is because I really wanna see it and don't wanna be spoiled. After it's out and I see it, I hope there will be discussion here on it.

Anyone seeing it in a theatre? To support Studio B/DHX, my friends and I went to go see it, but never again as far as we're concerned...

PaulloDEC

Mind sharing? :3

As for the topic at hand, the reason I'm not talking much Rainbow Rocks lately is because I really wanna see it and don't wanna be spoiled. After it's out and I see it, I hope there will be discussion here on it.

Anyone seeing it in a theatre? To support Studio B/DHX, my friends and I went to go see it, but never again as far as we're concerned...

I've just switched my PC off for the night, but one I can remember off the top of my head is this one by Aviators.

I won't be seeing Rainbow Rocks at the cinema, partly because I'd be too embarrassed and partly for exactly the reasons you mention in your linked post. Public events for MLP (besides those organized by and for adult fans, I guess) belong to the target audience as far as I'm concerned. There are those who'd be nothing but pleasant and respectful (as it seems you guys were), but you can't keep the other kind of adult fans from rearing their heads.

Was just reading on ED about the official press release for the Hub becoming Discovery Family. MLP isn't going anywhere. I think the only thing I'm worried about is The Hub's predecessor and early Hub days had a lot of shows with the ei rating. I remember Lauren Faust saying this restriction was even stricter than TV-Y. While I doubt Season 5 would be affected, I hope this means a potential Season 6 wont go back to using it. I mean Season 1 was fine and all, but I feel the show really started blossom during Season 2 AFTER they dropped the ei content.

Also, sorry I haven't been posting much lately, I keep up with the stories and lurk occasionally, but I really haven't had much time to check out too much Pony stuff. I'm still working on catching up with the art I missed way back in March by combing through Derpibooru. And I haven't even begun going through my backlog of Pony Music since March. Ugh. >.<

EDIT: Also, yeah seeing the post Huelen's story has really cemented the idea in my head to NEVER go see a pony movie in theaters :/

Cheerilee

Was just reading on ED about the official press release for the Hub becoming Discovery Family. MLP isn't going anywhere.

That's just PR doubletalk. Hasbro was kicked out of their shared house by their ex boyfriend/girlfriend. The ex has graciously allowed Hasbro to live in a tent on the front lawn. As such, Hasbro's current address is a leaky tent on the front lawn of their ex's house. MLP has gone somewhere, and likely will go somewhere else.

MLP and Transformers are triple-A shows that could get top billing on just about any network. Their talents were wasted on the Hub, which caused Hasbro some friction, but it was all for the greater good. Hasbro had a plan. But now these shows aren't part of Discovery's plan.

"I want to thank the entire team at The Hub Network for their passion and dedication in building this brand over the past five years" says the new CEO, as he chucks the brand in the trash and re-brands the network. He's wiping the slate clean of all Hasbro shows, including shows that any network would want, and replacing it all with his own Discovery-brand product. That's not merely new leadership, and a combining of resources, it's a takeover. He's allowing Hasbro to keep 9:00am-3:00pm, the time when all kids are in school and most adults are at work. That is a brutal move for a set of shows that was already uncomfortable as the MVP shows on this inferior network.

To put it in other terms, imagine for a moment that Activision performed a hostile takeover of Nintendo's hardware division. And Activision thanked Nintendo for all their hard work making Mario and Zelda over the years, but Activision is cancelling all Nintendo games on all Nintendo consoles, and replacing them with Call of Duty. Oh and, Nintendo is still allowed to make Mario and Zelda games for Activision, but they will be download-only, or perhaps some physical copies might be sold through Nintendo's Activision's online store.

Some kind words might be said, but Nintendo would absolutely go third party. Sony and Microsoft would be tripping over themselves trying to beg for Mario and Zelda, because those games are huge and will thrive anywhere, and some of Nintendo's smaller games would cease to be made, because they're not particularly profitable, but they had previously fit into Nintendo's hardware plans.

Same thing with Hasbro. MLP and Transformers are superstars, and they are going to be moved to a bigger, better network, and be better for it. It's the smaller shows you need to worry about (although for now, they have a home in a tent on Discovery's front lawn). Also, Hasbro is probably going to be less likely to take risks in creating the next big show.

Avoiding all EG2 leaks right now. Without spoiling anything, does the movie seem good or not?

No spoilers, but some people may not even want to see general opinions about the movie.
The impression I get is that this movie has a lot more cameos and small scenes with Dougified side ponies, which were among the best parts of the first movie, but this film still struggles with the actual plot and with the non-Twilight and now non-Sunset Main Six. Music is a big focus, of course, and that is apparently good

That's just PR doubletalk. Hasbro was kicked out of their shared house by their ex boyfriend/girlfriend. The ex has graciously allowed Hasbro to live in a tent on the front lawn. As such, Hasbro's current address is a leaky tent on the front lawn of their ex's house. MLP has gone somewhere, and likely will go somewhere else.

MLP and Transformers are triple-A shows that could get top billing on just about any network. Their talents were wasted on the Hub, which caused Hasbro some friction, but it was all for the greater good. Hasbro had a plan. But now these shows aren't part of Discovery's plan.

"I want to thank the entire team at The Hub Network for their passion and dedication in building this brand over the past five years" says the new CEO, as he chucks the brand in the trash and re-brands the network. He's wiping the slate clean of all Hasbro shows, including shows that any network would want, and replacing it all with his own Discovery-brand product. That's not merely new leadership, and a combining of resources, it's a takeover. He's allowing Hasbro to keep 9:00am-3:00pm, the time when all kids are in school and most adults are at work. That is a brutal move for a set of shows that was already uncomfortable as the MVP shows on this inferior network.

To put it in other terms, imagine for a moment that Activision performed a hostile takeover of Nintendo's hardware division. And Activision thanked Nintendo for all their hard work making Mario and Zelda over the years, but Activision is cancelling all Nintendo games on all Nintendo consoles, and replacing them with Call of Duty. Oh and, Nintendo is still allowed to make Mario and Zelda games for Activision, but they will be download-only, or perhaps some physical copies might be sold through Nintendo's Activision's online store.

Some kind words might be said, but Nintendo would absolutely go third party. Sony and Microsoft would be tripping over themselves trying to beg for Mario and Zelda, because those games are huge and will thrive anywhere, and some of Nintendo's smaller games would cease to be made, because they're not particularly profitable, but they had previously fit into Nintendo's hardware plans.

Same thing with Hasbro. MLP and Transformers are superstars, and they are going to be moved to a bigger, better network, and be better for it. It's the smaller shows you need to worry about (although for now, they have a home in a tent on Discovery's front lawn). Also, Hasbro is probably going to be less likely to take risks in creating the next big show.

I was mostly referring to the short term. But okay, when you put it like that I guess I won't have to worry about possible ei content being pushed for Season 6 if it happens.

Teaser art for GM Berrow's upcoming Daring Do books
ByfoB1YCYAADywg.jpg

(it was small at the source too)

And a The Mary Sue article about Derpycon South where the reporter has a nice experience and is planning on starting the series as a result.

Speaking of that, a guy on Reddit is going through the series without having seen it before and offering detailed commentary on each episode. It's always interesting to read about first views.

Rainbow Rocks showings are starting today/tomorrow, and while I'm not very interested now that I know everything I wanted to know about it from the leaks, I hope everyone who wanted to see it enjoys it!

Village

Ted Anderson's commentary on the new annual issue.

Interesting details include that:
* He was specifically told that the Power Ponies couldn't just act like the Main Six.
* Shadowmare was, indeed, at least partially based on Raven (and Ted imagines her with Raven's voice).
* The "My Little Donkey" at the end was supposed to be "My Little Human", but this was nixed by Hasbro.
* For a while, the story was going to involve Spike coming to the Power Ponies world and he would be the one to teach them about friendship, and this lasted long enough for a reference to it to appear on the solicitation (“It will take a familiar face from Equestria to even the odds!"), but they nixed the idea because the story flowed better without him and some higher-ups thought that there was getting to be too much universe-crossing in MLP already.
* Apparently in the backup issue, Mane-iac was going to travel through a wormhole, but apparently dimensional travel is only allowed through mirrors, which is why there's just an Equestria Girls mirror in her hideout for some reason.

I wanna hear the conversation about that,

Cheerilee

Speaking of that, a guy on Reddit is going through the series without having seen it before and offering detailed commentary on each episode. It's always interesting to read about first views.

If you haven't seen it yet, A Non-Brony Reviews MLP:FIM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpqlp_Cd6A4

Basically, a guy with some writing background hears that MLP:FIM is actually good, and it gets his curiosity going, so he decides to check it out, and he doesn't become an instant brony, but he can appreciate what the show's doing right, so he figures "Why not?" and decides to make a pull-no-punches video review series from an intelligent and unbiased source.

PaulloDEC

If you haven't seen it yet, A Non-Brony Reviews MLP:FIM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpqlp_Cd6A4

Basically, a guy with some writing background hears that MLP:FIM is actually good, and it gets his curiosity going, so he decides to check it out, and he doesn't become an instant brony, but he can appreciate what the show's doing right, so he figures "Why not?" and decides to make a pull-no-punches video review series from an intelligent and unbiased source.

Neat video, it's always interesting hearing some outside perspectives (especially ones informed by something).

Gotta say though, what the hell was up with those first episode suggestions given to him? Sweet and Elite? May the Best Pet Win? Those are solid episodes, but they seem super-weird suggestions for introducing someone to the show.

My view for first episodes is that if you can show that person three episodes, then show them the pilot two-parter and then "It's About Time". I think that last episode is good because it's a solid episode but not one of the best, so the new viewer has something to look forward too. Besides, often the "best episodes" are only really great after you've already become attached to the characters--there's a reason why no one recommends "Green Isn't Your Color" as a first episode, for instance--and I don't think this episode really requires much existing attachment. The episode also does a good job demonstrating how crazy the show can get, since it does take a bit for it to reach that point, and features a lot of surprises, even if the time travel twist can be seen a mile away; that said, the fact that there even is a time travel twist should be a pleasant surprise for a viewer still expecting very basic plots.

If you can only show that person one or two episodes, then I'm not really sure. I'm not all that attached to "Dragonshy", but it seems to have worked out as a starting point for a lot of people, so I guess that can work. I do think "Lesson Zero" is a terrible first episode, though, precisely because you can't fully appreciate it until you already know Twilight as a character and, moreover, have gotten used to the friendship letters as an unchanging feature of the show.

In any case, I'll check those videos out.

The movie has aired in some places, so I'll say what happens in the post credits scene.
It's Dougworld Twilight. It turns out that she has gotten curious about the odd things happening at Canterlot HIgh and she plans on investigating further. Not sure what there is to investigate, since the Dougworld Main Five have done nothing to hide what's going on, but whatever.

Anyway, details from impressions I've been reading about the movie, for those who don't intend to watch it right now.
* Brad interacts with the other characters more, which helps a bit for characterization, but he's apparently still pretty bland. The movie is still pushing Flashlight, with him and Twilight nearly kissing (interrupted by Trixie).
* The Dazzlings spread a hate plague throughout the school, infecting everyone except the heroes. The ones most affected by it are Trixie and Flash, with Flash in particular turning into a complete jerk when he starts insulting Sunset. Celestia and Luna are also affected, so I guess there really is absolutely nothing special about their Dougworld versions.
* The Dazzlings are able to figure out quickly that the heroes have magic from how they weren't affected by the hate plague. Not that they were really hiding it, but whatever. They use the hate plague infected students and staff to sabotage the performances of the heroes and get the heroes to start arguing with each other
* Sunset is not trusted on all sides, even by the heroes, who don't really intend it but are still unsure of her. Everyone likes her in the end, though.
* We never get a good explanation for why Sunset turned good in the end of the first movie.
* The way Twilight is able to get to Dougworld is that Sunset has a book that she can write in which then has text appear in a book in the pony world. Twilight is able to technobabble the connection between the books to reopen the portal between worlds.
* The other pony Main Six were willing to come along, but Twilight was worried about causing confusion with all of the doppelgangers, and thus told them not to come.
* Maud makes a cameo, but it's completely unrelated to the plot. She's feeding chips to a rock, and both Sunset and Twilight express disbelief that she's related to Pinkie, and that's it.
* Twilight's conflict in the film is that she believes it's entirely up to her to come up with a song that can counter the magical effects of the Dazzlings, which causes a rift with the other humans.
* Those worried about Twilight being a Mary Sue can rest assured. She ends up being completely useless in this film, and everything she does fails. In the end, it's up to Sunset to save the day.
* The leaked photos showed what appeared to be the Dazzlings turning into monsters at the end. In fact, they are actually monsters summoned by the Dazzlings, and the Dazzlings themselves just become pony-human hybrids like the Dougworld Main Six do.
* In the final battle, which is a battle of the bands, the Dazzlings use the corrupted crowd to completely drown out the heroes' song, but Vinyl comes to the rescue (she wasn't corrupted due to her headphones) with a car that can turn into giant speakers, amplifying the heroes. The Dazzlings then start attacking the heroes directly during the song battle, which is where Twilight's plan fails and then Sunset has to come in to help.
* In the end, Twilight returns to pony world, and Sunset sends her a friendship report.

$200

Banned
Season 4:

Pinkie Pride: (5*4+4*2+3*0+2*0+1*0)/6 - 4.67 - new
Castle Mane-ia: (5*4+4*1+3*1+2*0+1*0)/6 - 4.50
Rarity Takes Manehattan: (5*3+4*3+3*0+2*0+1*0)/6 - 4.50
Three's A Crowd: (5*2+4*3+3*0+2*0+1*0)/5 - 4.40 - new
Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 1: (5*3+4*3+3*1+2*0+1*0)/7 - 4.29
Power Ponies: (5*3+4*3+3*1+2*0+1*0)/7 - 4.29
Pinkie Apple Pie: (5*1+4*5+3*0+2*0+1*0)/6 - 4.17
Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 2: (5*3+4*2+3*2+2*0+1*0)/7 - 4.14
Flight to the Finish: (5*1+4*4+3*1+2*0+1*0)/6 - 4.00
Rainbow Falls: (5*2+4*2+3*1+2*1+1*0)/6 - 3.83
Bats!: (5*0+4*1+3*4+2*0+1*0)/5 - 3.20
Daring Don't: (5*0+4*1+3*4+2*1+1*0)/6 - 3.00

S1 and S2
S3

Village

The movie has aired in some places, so I'll say what happens in the post credits scene.
It's Dougworld Twilight. It turns out that she has gotten curious about the odd things happening at Canterlot HIgh and she plans on investigating further. Not sure what there is to investigate, since the Dougworld Main Five have done nothing to hide what's going on, but whatever.

Anyway, details from impressions I've been reading about the movie, for those who don't intend to watch it right now.
* Brad interacts with the other characters more, which helps a bit for characterization, but he's apparently still pretty bland. The movie is still pushing Flashlight, with him and Twilight nearly kissing (interrupted by Trixie).
* The Dazzlings spread a hate plague throughout the school, infecting everyone except the heroes. The ones most affected by it are Trixie and Flash, with Flash in particular turning into a complete jerk when he starts insulting Sunset. Celestia and Luna are also affected, so I guess there really is absolutely nothing special about their Dougworld versions.
* The Dazzlings are able to figure out quickly that the heroes have magic from how they weren't affected by the hate plague. Not that they were really hiding it, but whatever. They use the hate plague infected students and staff to sabotage the performances of the heroes and get the heroes to start arguing with each other
* Sunset is not trusted on all sides, even by the heroes, who don't really intend it but are still unsure of her. Everyone likes her in the end, though.
* We never get a good explanation for why Sunset turned good in the end of the first movie.
* The way Twilight is able to get to Dougworld is that Sunset has a book that she can write in which then has text appear in a book in the pony world. Twilight is able to technobabble the connection between the books to reopen the portal between worlds.
* The other pony Main Six were willing to come along, but Twilight was worried about causing confusion with all of the doppelgangers, and thus told them not to come.
* Maud makes a cameo, but it's completely unrelated to the plot. She's feeding chips to a rock, and both Sunset and Twilight express disbelief that she's related to Pinkie, and that's it.
* Twilight's conflict in the film is that she believes it's entirely up to her to come up with a song that can counter the magical effects of the Dazzlings, which causes a rift with the other humans.
* Those worried about Twilight being a Mary Sue can rest assured. She ends up being completely useless in this film, and everything she does fails. In the end, it's up to Sunset to save the day.
* The leaked photos showed what appeared to be the Dazzlings turning into monsters at the end. In fact, they are actually monsters summoned by the Dazzlings, and the Dazzlings themselves just become pony-human hybrids like the Dougworld Main Six do.
* In the final battle, which is a battle of the bands, the Dazzlings use the corrupted crowd to completely drown out the heroes' song, but Vinyl comes to the rescue (she wasn't corrupted due to her headphones) with a car that can turn into giant speakers, amplifying the heroes. The Dazzlings then start attacking the heroes directly during the song battle, which is where Twilight's plan fails and then Sunset has to come in to help.
* In the end, Twilight returns to pony world, and Sunset sends her a friendship report.

The last thing contradicts the first thing.Getting cyclops-ey

Well, the movie certainly doesn't seem special IMO. Then again, I didn't care for Equestria Girls to begin with...

Well, in the end, this is still a movie where everything revolves around a battle of the bands. The reason why people are so interested is that it's been a while since season 4 ended, season 5 still doesn't have a start time, and this is a good opportunity to meet up with other fans in theaters. And some people are interested in seeing Sunset's development, which I suppose is understandable enough. What I really don't get are the people who were actually looking forward to this movie and future Equestria Girls stuff more than season 5, and the people who actually want to see more of Brad.

The last thing contradicts the first thing.Getting cyclops-ey

If you're referring to what I think you mean,
the end before the credits is pony Twilight getting a friendship report from Sunset. The part after the credits is Dougworld Twilight getting curious about Canterlot High.

Village

If you're referring to what I think you mean,
the end before the credits is pony Twilight getting a friendship report from Sunset. The part after the credits is Dougworld Twilight getting curious about Canterlot High.

Wait do you mean
That there is a human twilight, thats some messed up implications. Hey I met someone who looks just like you, wanna go out. Also if that is the case twilight is playing with fire.
And by fire I mean twilight is rolling a ball on a table with no top that is covered in paper that is taped down to the table. And every time she crosses over that ball increases in mass. Dont mess around with alternate dimensions, the cosmic horrors are some serious business.

Wait do you mean
That there is a human twilight, thats some messed up implications. Hey I met someone who looks just like you, wanna go out. Also if that is the case twilight is playing with fire.
And by fire I mean twilight is rolling a ball on a table with no top that is covered in paper that is taped down to the table. And every time she crosses over that ball increases in mass. Dont mess around with alternate dimensions, the cosmic horrors are some serious business.

If you think that's messed up,
we still have no clue what happened to Dougworld Sunset. Anyway, while I don't expect Equestria Girls to cover dimensional collapse like the Reflections arc in the comics did, if it insists on making Flashlight persist, I do hope that Brad falls in love with Dougworld Twilight, then she and pony Twilight get into a fight, and then pony Twilight gives up on Brad.

And on another note, I'm really glad I adopted the use of the "Dougworld" label for the Equestria Girls human world natives. Makes things a lot easier to talk about.

Village

While what you suggested it would be interesting
Teaching kids that sometimes relationships weren't meant to be/ just don't work out.
I would much rather universal collapse and with that brings with cosmic level horrors, so like sea ponies and s3 just break out and with them they bring equestria 2 celestia and Night mare moon prime and it would just crisis of several hasbro properties. Shia lebouf is walking around with a paper bag on his head whilist the transformers are helping the gi joe's some crazy shit. Just insanity.

Also dougworld is perfect.

brian577

Banned
I just saw a commercial for Discovery Family. Basically clips from a bunch of live action Discovery shows and My Little Pony. Guess Discovery isn't willing to ignore the channels one big success.

Bad news for... well, I suppose in this thread just me, but it looks like the My Little Pony Japanese dub is no longer on TV Tokyo's schedule. "A Canterlot Wedding part 2" reaired on 9-23 and this Tuesday instead there's whatever this is. Now the fact that they were advertizing Princess Twilight stuff in Japan, the fact that a magazine in Japan briefly mentioned that the story of Princess Twilight would be aired later, and the fact that this appears to be a one-off program (the show doesn't have its own site, it doesn't sound like a series) do provide hope that season 3 will still air in Japan, however.

Too bad everyone that could actually figure out what was going on in Japan disappeared once new episodes stopped airing.

A ponified version of a one-shot character from another show appearing on a Drawfriend is a sure sign that character has become unusually popular. I guess people really love their yanderes. This would be Giffany from the newest episode of Gravity Falls, a malicious AI that evolved from a dating sim. Hopefully art of Lapis from the new Steven Universe follows suit.

On a more pony-related note, how are people feeling about the possibility of Equestria Academy (or any Equestria Girls TV series) now? Before, I dismissed the possibility of it being any good, but people seem to really like Rainbow Rocks, and SPOILERS does open up some interesting possibilities for plots. What I really fear is what effect it would have on the main series, namely that events from Equestria Academy could affect FiM (I want nothing that even implies Flashlight could be a thing in FiM, which would really be any direct reference to Dougworld events) and that Equestria Academy could leech away slice of life storylines.

PaulloDEC

So I just got done watching Rainbow Rocks. I liked it a lot, to be honest. I'd say it's pretty definitively a better film than the first Equestria Girls, and as primarily a fan of FiM it tickled me to see Megan McCarthy continuing to weave Equestrian Lore into the proceedings.

The storytelling in general felt far more involved and confident this time around, and the production has taken another big step up, especially in the animation department. Great songs from Daniel Ingram and co as expected too.

If you didn't have any serious issues with the first EG film, definitely watch this.

On a more pony-related note, how are people feeling about the possibility of Equestria Academy (or any Equestria Girls TV series) now? Before, I dismissed the possibility of it being any good, but people seem to really like Rainbow Rocks, and SPOILERS does open up some interesting possibilities for plots. What I really fear is what effect it would have on the main series, namely that events from Equestria Academy could affect FiM (I want nothing that even implies Flashlight could be a thing in FiM, which would really be any direct reference to Dougworld events) and that Equestria Academy could leech away slice of life storylines.

I'd be lying if I said this didn't worry me, but I think it's probably an unfounded fear. We had the same concerns back after the first film went out, and yet we ended up getting next to no crossover in Season 4.

I think it's safe to assume that Flash Sentry might continue to make fleeting appearances now that they've established he exists in Equestria, though. Beyond that, I guess we just need to cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Watched Rainbow Rocks, liked it a lot. Definitely a superior movie to the first Equestria Girls, in plot and characterization. The animation was several steps up in quality. I found that the weak spot were the songs, which never rose above the average tweeny poppy stuff, except perhaps - once again, curiously - the cafeteria song.

Loved the fleshing out of Sunset Shimmer, with a convincing redemption arc, and making her the permanent stand-in for Equestria Twilight among the Dougworld Main Six. She withstood all the hate because she knew she deserved it, and proved herself as worthy of friendship. Gotta wonder how she and the rest will react to the appearance of Dougworld Twilight, if that is confirmed for a third movie.

Found it refreshing that Twilight didn't get absolutely anything right for the whole movie. She took it all into her hands and failed miserably, leaving it to Sunset to save the day. Rainbow Dash and her egocentric antics was also pretty counterproductive, and Sunset saved that situation as well, even to detriment of her own image. Trixie was a pretty good presence as well, even though she was being manipulated. I really don't mind Flashlight, so Flash's presence did not bother me, and I'm betting that he'll be better fleshed out in an eventual third movie.

Having Lyra and Bon Bon go cheek-to-cheek on the piano was just the right amount of brony pandering for me. ;)

Favorite moment: Twilight dropping the microphone, and Sunset picking it up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Some bullshit false outrage about that from people still pissed off about her outspokeness against the molesting tumbler and people are trying to drag her through the mud and bring Teddy down too.

Of course EQD won't mention that or post Cutospheres response...

This fandom really sucks sometimes.

McNum

Well, you bring in outside drama to the official product, you cause damage to the brand, then you get fired. That's just corporate thinking.

Rule of thumb. Never include outside OCs or any IP not explicitly allowed in advance. That only leads to trouble and getting fired. Heck, Wonderbolts Academy had that recolored OC that was supposed to be Sibsy's, but was turned pink and yellow instead, so obviously this is something Hasbro takes very seriously.

Whose OC or what the drama connected to it is doesn't really matter. Including it damaged the brand. And that's always grounds for termination.

Village

Some bullshit false outrage about that from people still pissed off about her outspokeness against the molesting tumbler and people are trying to drag her through the mud and bring Teddy down too.

Of course EQD won't mention that or post Cutospheres response...

This fandom really sucks sometimes.

Some bullshit false outrage about that from people still pissed off about her outspokeness against the molesting tumbler

people still pissed off about her outspokeness against the molesting tumbler

molesting tumbler

.... Context.

ALL OF IT.

What... in THE hell

McNum

.... Context.

ALL OF IT.

What... in THE hell
"Princess Molestia"
(Yes, really...)

Because molestation is funny and should be made into a joke. Oh... wait. No. It is not. For some reason Hasbro had that tumblr shut down.

There was drama about the whos and whys of drawing Hasbro's attention to it, and it's no secret that there was definitely some mean-spiritness involved on all sides, but the long and short is that Hasbro DID take offense and was well within their rights to take action against it. The most surprising thing, really, was that it took them so long. But they have been surprisingly live and let live about the whole fanart thing, so they probably chose not to look until it was pointed out to them.

I would not advise doing an image search on Princess Molestia, by the way. But you probably had already guessed not to do that.

Lurky

"Princess Molestia"
(Yes, really...)

Because molestation is funny and should be made into a joke. Oh... wait. No. It is not. For some reason Hasbro had that tumblr shut down.

There was drama about the whos and whys of drawing Hasbro's attention to it, and it's no secret that there was definitely some mean-spiritness involved on all sides, but the long and short is that Hasbro DID take offense and was well within their rights to take action against it. The most surprising thing, really, was that it took them so long. But they have been surprisingly live and let live about the whole fanart thing, so they probably chose not to look until it was pointed out to them.

I would not advise doing an image search on Princess Molestia, by the way. But you probably had already guessed not to do that.

And then I did it anyway. =[

Top Bottom