• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

ED has the concept arts backed up in case the above album goes down. It's interesting seeing various designs for characters like Owloysius and Philomena, though it was a bit disappointing seeing so much other stuff already finalized. It was interesting how they would straight up draw over existing pony models to create new designs.

The original source for the images, which is actually from last year. That's quite a delay. The post appears to have even more that weren't in the album. I'm not going to bother looking.

Yeah, it looks like there were some interesting pictures not put in the imgur album. Or maybe they were, I don't remember. Ones I thought were interesting, from the Round Stable thread about it.

Alternate Show Stoppers outfits:
xJTmPhm.png
8fRuHVi.png

Alternate Gala and failed "Suited For Success" outfits:

Alternate character designs, including Photo Finish (apparently originally named Picture Perfect), Spike, and most interestingly, Discord:
Spike is pretty horrifying. The alternate Discords are interesting; it may be neat if Discord shapeshifted into one of them at some point.

And... other things:
pc9pG72.png
uyvkXLe.png
X0vL8la.png

Designs for Philomena's various forms and disguises
14IO8QR.png

A deleted scene from "Fall Weather Friends", I guess a staring contest with butterflies or something.
aWbYRQz.png

==

"This Day Aria" in multiple languages (part 2). The first part was going well until the Czech section at the end. The second part is generally weaker than the first.

$200

Banned

So Shout! Factory apparently posted a few spoilery clips of EG2 on their Youtube channel. I'd avoid watching unless you've already seen the movie.

Since today is apparently Applejack Appreciation Day, let's revisit the G1 comic that made everyone scratch their heads, Applejack's Amazing Adventure!
Seriously, why did the ground crack open under the wizard? Also, did the artist not get the note that the wizard was the villain when designing him?

On another note, I actually had a dream that the season 5 finale was going to be another Royal Wedding special, except this time, it was going to be Twilight marrying Flash Sentry; and similar to Shining Armor, Flash wouldn't have even been mentioned in the season until the finale. However, when Meghan McCarthy reveals this on Twitter, she says that they changed their plans after the negative reaction Flash got from Equestria Girls. But now that dream planted the fear that they actually would do something like that as a season finale at some point.

Since today is apparently Applejack Appreciation Day, let's revisit the G1 comic that made everyone scratch their heads, Applejack's Amazing Adventure!

Seriously, why did the ground crack open under the wizard? Also, did the artist not get the note that the wizard was the villain when designing him?

Wh- Why would the jewels jammed into their eyes help them see better? Wouldn't that actually destroy what's left of their eyeballs? Also, they didn't resolve the conflict at all, her total klutziness coincidentally saved the day but how come she successfully led the way out at the end? Wouldn't she have gotten lost in the cave or something? *scratches head*

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sorry for being mean all those times. Most of it was directed at the ideology of the subculture and not specific members, but I'm sure some of it targeted the latter too, so I apologize to anyone involved.

We all cope with life in different ways, and I don't think the brony subculture has had a net negative impact on the world (Florida Man aside, haha), so, live and let live. Hitokage died resenting me over the things I had said about bronies, when we had been friends prior for almost 15 years, and that's something I regret. Most of my frustration over brony culture stemmed from his involvement in it, because I saw it as him explicitly giving up on certain aspects of life instead of trying to figure them out, and I wanted him to be able to succeed and integrate and live it up, as I try to encourage people to do frequently on GAF in many different areas. But, yeah, it's okay to be weird and different, too, especially when no one's being hurt by it, and we're all weird in our own ways. Celebrate it, and if this is what you want to identify with, so be it.

Laters.

PaulloDEC

On another note, I actually had a dream that the season 5 finale was going to be another Royal Wedding special, except this time, it was going to be Twilight marrying Flash Sentry; and similar to Shining Armor, Flash wouldn't have even been mentioned in the season until the finale. However, when Meghan McCarthy reveals this on Twitter, she says that they changed their plans after the negative reaction Flash got from Equestria Girls. But now that dream planted the fear that they actually would do something like that as a season finale at some point.

I don't often say this, but something like that would probably be enough to drive me away from the show for good. Thankfully, I don't think the odds are too high!

Wh- Why would the jewels jammed into their eyes help them see better? Wouldn't that actually destroy what's left of their eyeballs? Also, they didn't resolve the conflict at all, her total klutziness coincidentally saved the day but how come she successfully led the way out at the end? Wouldn't she have gotten lost in the cave or something? *scratches head*

I love how casually the whole "jewels in the eyes" thing is glossed over too. "Oh hey, eyes full of sharp rocks! This can only be a good thing!"

Very weird comic.

Sorry for being mean all those times. Most of it was directed at the ideology of the subculture and not specific members, but I'm sure some of it targeted the latter too, so I apologize to anyone involved.

We all cope with life in different ways, and I don't think the brony subculture has had a net negative impact on the world (Florida Man aside, haha), so, live and let live. Hitokage died resenting me over the things I had said about bronies, when we had been friends prior for almost 15 years, and that's something I regret. Most of my frustration over brony culture stemmed from his involvement in it, because I saw it as him explicitly giving up on certain aspects of life instead of trying to figure them out, and I wanted him to be able to succeed and integrate and live it up, as I try to encourage people to do frequently on GAF in many different areas. But, yeah, it's okay to be weird and different, too, especially when no one's being hurt by it, and we're all weird in our own ways. Celebrate it, and if this is what you want to identify with, so be it.

Laters.

It's nice to hear you say this. At the end of the day, I think most of us here are just people who like a cartoon. We're not worth being upset about.

Japan PonyCon trailer. It's decently amusing.

New clip of Filly Funtasia, that series based on a ripoff toy line. Characters that have indistinguishable personalities except for the clumsy one, a song for no apparent reason--this definitely feels like what someone would think MLP is like.

I suppose I should probably be talking about my rewatching of season 4 with my family. I already mentioned up to "Princess Twilight Sparkle", but now, using the episode order I posted on the previous page ("Twilight Time" and "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3" moved up), we've finished "Bats!". "Castle Mane-ia" was still fun. My family seemed to really like "Daring Don't" (they seemed to have forgotten about "Read it and Weep", for the record), and I still like the episode more than a lot of people, though I completely forgot about that terrible "Where does it hurt?" "Right here. *points to heart*" scene. "Flight to the Finish" was still good, and "Hearts as Strong as Horses" was better than I remembered. "Power Ponies" was still a lot of fun. "Twilight Time" felt kind of weird in tone for some reason, and kind of felt like making a hard turn after the previous episode, but it was still fun; perhaps the placement here isn't quite ideal. "Bats!" was still good, and my family got a kick out of Flutterbat (they didn't seem as interested in Flutterhulk, for the record), though it's still disappointing how the episode didn't actually show how the disagreement about the bats was resolved on screen.

HUELEN10

HUELEN10, given the new av', are you on board with this Rainbow Brite reboot business?
Honestly can't say. Truth be told, I was never into it, and it doesn't appeal to me. I do think the character design and art direction is spot-on for the series though, but the trailer seems like it will be yet another "meh" series for the kids. Loving the art direction though!

The rainbow going through her head is ridiculous though, fucking radiation!

Uhhh...
Someone else watch this and tell me how bad it is, because I can't.

EDIT: Also, Rainbow Rocks aired on Discovery Family. Some small scenes were trimmed, and they cut the ending credits song and teaser. Did anyone here watch it who didn't already watch the theater copy? I'm in no hurry to watch it, so I'll be waiting for the DVD release.

Uhhh...

Someone else watch this and tell me how bad it is, because I can't.

EDIT: Also, Rainbow Rocks aired on Discovery Family. Some small scenes were trimmed, and they cut the ending credits song and teaser. Did anyone here watch it who didn't already watch the theater copy? I'm in no hurry to watch it, so I'll be waiting for the DVD release.

I like how it's such a given that nearly everyone pirated it already that EqD posted " If you weren't able to see it in theaters, this is a good excuse to finally catch it in higher quality." Also kinda funny how EqD has no qualms about posting YouTube links to the HD TV rip of the movie. Dunno what the rush is; won't it be on Netflix in like, a month? And on Blu-ray/DVD in days?

As for the video, I can only stomach uncomfortable things very briefly unless I'm REALLY motivated to watch them. (Example: I have trouble watching The Office (US) for any meaningful length of time...so much "awkward" humor.) This was not one of those times, so I watched like, the first 30 seconds. Costume-Twilight seemed pretty energetic though. A good rep of Hasbro during the $100 toy giveaway.

Based on the first Nichijou opening
tumblr_ndfzh2EDst1te15xio1_500.gif

Comic-Con commissions:
Andy Price:
SoymaMK.jpg

BzwvkCICYAAv2An.jpg:large

Amy Mebberson:
Pk7EBnZ.jpg

EDIT: Art from a Transformers comic artist, apparently. On banned site, so linking to Round Stable instead.

Also, on another board, I came across a good point about Flash Sentry. He honestly could have been an interesting character if he was portrayed as Sunset's love interest instead of Twilight's. In the first movie, they could have played up that he was still in love with Sunset after she broke up with him and with knowledge that she used to be better and someone still loved her, her redemption would have been easier to accept in that film. Plus, Flash would no longer be Brad, forced love interest to Twilight, so his existence would no longer be demeaning to Twilight's character.

Village

I was remembered the dougworld movies and remembered the dazzles, I request the blue and purple ones be brought back , because their character designs are ENTIRELY to sick to stay dead. Like seriously I think I like their designs more than most of the main 6, I think if they were horses they would still be better.

Aside from that, I was thinking about those movies and had remembered that I hated one aspect in particular about them... couldn't place my finger on it. And then I remembered , spikes and effing dog. Fuck he coudn't be like a little kid or something. Just damn, my man entire people of intelligent creatures who eat diamonds and breath fire have been relegated to dogs. Faaak Kyuuu whoever thought that was cool, it wasn't.

$200

Banned
I was remembered the dougworld movies and remembered the dazzles, I request the blue and purple ones be brought back , because their character designs are ENTIRELY to sick to stay dead. Like seriously I think I like their designs more than most of the main 6, I think if they were horses they would still be better.

Still waiting for the Blu-ray which should arrive in about 3 weeks....but might have to force myself to watch a youtube version with all these uncensored spoilers around the interweb.

Aside from that, I was thinking about those movies and had remembered that I hated one aspect in particular about them... couldn't place my finger on it. And then I remembered , spikes and effing dog. Fuck he coudn't be like a little kid or something. Just damn, my man entire people of intelligent creatures who eat diamonds and breath fire have been relegated to dogs. Faaak Kyuuu whoever thought that was cool, it wasn't.

The weirdest part is that the Diamond Dogs are, in fact, humans in Dougworld. As for the Dazzling designs, I think it's just the case that designs created with the Equestria Girls aesthetic in mind will look better than ponies who were transferred over. I'm not particularly impressed by pony versions of their designs.

Anyway, preview art of the new MLP manga releases. So many sparkles and bubbles.

20141019_1355499.jpg

Like seriously, why is talking to Ironroot "Hello There, I'm a Tree, Wanna Hear About My Mating Habits?" Treefolk so shojo? It is pretty cute, though.

The fact that they're continuing this even when the anime isn't airing in Japan anymore does seem to offer more assurance that season 3 will be dubbed there.

Village

The weirdest part is that the Diamond Dogs are, in fact, humans in Dougworld. As for the Dazzling designs, I think it's just the case that designs created with the Equestria Girls aesthetic in mind will look better than ponies who were transferred over. I'm not particularly impressed by pony versions of their designs.
Nah bruh, they confirmed to have the best designs of non alicorn small horses in my book. I hope its not Shadow/Lucario/( probobly)Rosalina situation where they will try to make new peeps but they will never be topped.

"here's the new one "

And everyone like nah breh

Someone had like an epiphastroke and then that came out

Anyway, preview art of the new MLP manga releases. So many sparkles and bubbles.

20141019_1355499.jpg

Like seriously, why is talking to Ironroot "Hello There, I'm a Tree, Wanna Hear About My Mating Habits?" Treefolk so shojo? It is pretty cute, though.

The fact that they're continuing this even when the anime isn't airing in Japan anymore does seem to offer more assurance that season 3 will be dubbed there.
They getting a Mango, wow thats neat. Pharrell should have waited then he could have had an even weirder music video

$200

Banned
Watched the TV version, and then the cut segments separately. The cut bits do make quite a bit of differences regarding how I like the movie actually. The anime style credit was really great too.

Celestia and Luna even more useless in this world...
Snips and Snail actually awesome for once.
Injustica for Trixie (her full song is one of the best too).

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill

20141019_1355499.jpg

Looks good, but someone messed up the coloring on Twilight's hind legs. :p

Hey guys.

I've been lurking these threads starting with OT1, which incidentally was my introduction to NeoGAF, back in 2011, sometime shortly after the first season had finished airing. But I remember about a year before that, I had heard that My Little Pony was getting a reboot. And my reaction was "Ugh. Reallyl? They're bringing that back?" But later I saw a few YouTube channels that I followed changed their icons to characters from the show, and I liked how they were designed, so I got curious.

I started with a short clip of the first episode on the Hub's site, going into it thinking that maybe the reason I was seeing people who liked this show pop up was because it was self-aware or something. I then decided that the clip alone, while I thought was decent, wasn't enough for me to decide whether or not I liked it, so I looked up the full episode on YouTube. And believe it or not, the first episode was all it took for me to get into the show. Specifically, it was Fluttershy's introduction that made me want to keep watching, it was so adorable.

Once I was done with the season, I ended up searching for places where MLP was being discussed, and here I am. I used to be crazy into the show, but I've mellowed out quite a bit, and now it's just another show that I enjoy watching. I'm all caught up on it, and saw Rainbow Rocks in the theater with friends (and once more with them the other night), and I actually liked it a lot.

Laters.
tumblr_lydjsp08bV1r4wacqo4_400.gif

PaulloDEC

Comic-Con commissions:

I love these. Price and Mebberson both do amazing work.

Hey guys.

I've been lurking these threads starting with OT1, which incidentally was my introduction to NeoGAF, back in 2011, sometime shortly after the first season had finished airing. But I remember about a year before that, I had heard that My Little Pony was getting a reboot. And my reaction was "Ugh. Reallyl? They're bringing that back?" But later I saw a few YouTube channels that I followed changed their icons to characters from the show, and I liked how they were designed, so I got curious.

I started with a short clip of the first episode on the Hub's site, going into it thinking that maybe the reason I was seeing people who liked this show pop up was because it was self-aware or something. I then decided that the clip alone, while I thought was decent, wasn't enough for me to decide whether or not I liked it, so I looked up the full episode on YouTube. And believe it or not, the first episode was all it took for me to get into the show. Specifically, it was Fluttershy's introduction that made me want to keep watching, it was so adorable.

Once I was done with the season, I ended up searching for places where MLP was being discussed, and here I am. I used to be crazy into the show, but I've mellowed out quite a bit, and now it's just another show that I enjoy watching. I'm all caught up on it, and saw Rainbow Rocks in the theater with friends (and once more with them the other night), and I actually liked it a lot.

Welcome! Glad you finally decided to jump in.

Hey guys.

[...] I used to be crazy into the show, but I've mellowed out quite a bit, and now it's just another show that I enjoy watching. I'm all caught up on it, and saw Rainbow Rocks in the theater with friends (and once more with them the other night), and I actually liked it a lot.
Sounds about right. This thread (and the fandom as I see it) has mellowed a lot. I just saw rainbow rocks and I liked it. Also, the animations are really complicated for a flash program.

HOLY SHIT

Full fledged MLP movie announced for 2017!
Now the problem is, it's being written by the writer of Ice Age 3(?): Continental Drift, and Meghan McCarthy is only taking an executive producer role. And given the production studio, this is very likely going to be CGI. Plus, this being in 3 years makes me wonder if this will be a reboot instead of a Friendship is Magic thing. Still, pretty exciting!

Now before anyone decides to make a thread on OT about it, please contact a mod beforehand and get his or her advice so he or she can help keep the thread under the control.

HOLY SHIT

Now the problem is, it's being written by the writer of Ice Age 3(?): Continental Drift, and Meghan McCarthy is only taking an executive producer role. And given the production studio, this is very likely going to be CGI. Plus, this being in 3 years makes me wonder if this will be a reboot instead of a Friendship is Magic thing. Still, pretty exciting!

Now before anyone decides to make a thread on OT about it, please contact a mod beforehand and get his or her advice so he or she can help keep the thread under the control.

I was just wondering the other day if something like this would happen.

I wouldn't put it past someone else to be able to write a good FiM story; most episodes are very watchable and there are a wide variety of writers. The question is, WILL it be the beloved FiM characters (BTW, I guarantee the film will ignore series continuity) or will it be some other group, like how the cast almost entirely changed in every other MLP series?

And I could be wrong, SigmasonicX, but I think Ice Age: Continental Drift is the 4th one in that series.

EDIT: In any case, I'll cross post my thought on the Equestria Girls movies:
I don't think EG was an inherently bad movie idea, but it is strange how they're written such that you can watch FiM and completely ignore EG stories and it doesn't affect continuity at all. It's like "what happens in EG stays in EG."

Considering I've been wearing this avatar for quite a while (and that OT thread got closed), I figured I might as well swing by here.

So, uh, yeah, not much to say about me other than I've been a fan since around mid season 1 (the old /co/ threads and streams were magical times) and followed the series closely until very recently (I dropped off around the mirror universe comic arc). The Comic Con footage, Rainbow Rocks (the biggest surprise to me really) and now the news of a proper movie put me right back into the ride.

And obligatory Rarity is best pony and your faves will never compare (unless that's Fluttershy)

EDIT: Hm, there was a hint of mean-spiritedness mixed in that Off-Topic thread about it, but I am not quite sure that was enough to get it locked. In any case, I'll cross post my thought on the Equestria Girls movies:

I don't think EG was an inherently bad movie idea, but it is strange how they're written such that you can watch FiM and completely ignore EG stories and it doesn't affect continuity at all. It's like "what happens in EG stays in EG."

It's the best way to handle the EG property, but that just makes their attempts at tying both series even more useless and out of place. Like, why even bother to write a connection if you're that set on keeping them separate?

$200

Banned
HOLY SHIT

392386.gif

“We have a lot of experience working on this particular brand,” and when it comes to producing the animation, technology has brought down costs to a level where it doesn’t need to spend $100 million or more to make the film. Hasbro declined to disclose the budget on the “Pony” pic.
$5 budget confirmed.

PaulloDEC

Well, can't say I saw that coming!

2017 though... that raises a lot of questions. We've seen hints that it might be part of the FiM continuity, but being released in 2017 would mean they'd need to have the next three-odd seasons planned out before writing could even begin, wouldn't it? Unless it's either a reboot or a completely standalone adventure.

Looking forward to seeing where all of this goes.

brian577

Banned
Well, can't say I saw that coming!

2017 though... that raises a lot of questions. We've seen hints that it might be part of the FiM continuity, but being released in 2017 would mean they'd need to have the next three-odd seasons planned out before writing could even begin, wouldn't it? Unless it's either a reboot or a completely standalone adventure.

Looking forward to seeing where all of this goes.

Early this year Hasbro announced they have plans for at least 5 more years. But I can see this movie wrapping up the series and a spinoff replacing it.
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/hasbro-investor-webcast-information-eqg.html

Village

HOLY SHIT

1) Can whoever is doing the cgi just copy 2 snacks

2) Who is going to be the guest celebrity voice actors, because you know that shit is happening.

3) Is it directed by michel bay?

Psxphile

It's going to be a "CGI fantasy ponies wander into modern day human metropolis" story and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Second EQG was a better movie, and oddly enough, was hampered only because they tied it into the pony world and Twilight did nothing but get in the way. It would have been better as an all out Sunset Shimmers film.

$200

Banned

So I guess this confirms Mane 6 for the movie? The less they try to reinvent things the better chance it will be good imo. Hype intersifies.

I think the best way to handle the film would be to have it be a remake of the pilot story of Friendship is Magic, with much more work done to make Nightmare Moon a credible threat.

Speaking of the movie, ED has posted two other video series covering the news, and... wow, it's really annoying how someone starts giggling whenever "brony" is said. Every single time.

On another note, ED reviewed MA Larson's new book, Pennyroyal Academy. As I expected, it's flawed but entertaining. Also, if you recall, last time I mentioned this book, I wondered where the princes were. It turns out that there are, in fact, princes at the academy, but they use a gender neutral term for both males and females: princess. I guess that's one way to handle it.

EDIT: For anyone looking through this thread in the future, the movie announcement topic.

PaulloDEC

Well, Joe Ballarini has just gone on-the-record to say that:

Joe Ballarini said:
...it (the film) plays within the time line of the show.

Original tweet. He also mentions that the film will contain "10 times more explosions" than a Michael Bay Transformers movie, though I think we can assume that one wasn't entirely serious. Such a movie wouldn't have time for anything besides explosions.

Well, Joe Ballarini has just gone on-the-record to say that:

Original tweet. He also mentions that the film will contain "10 times more explosions" than a Michael Bay Transformers movie, though I think we can assume that one wasn't entirely serious. Such a movie wouldn't have time for anything besides explosions.
Interesting. I feel like having the movie take place during the then-current continuity of the show would make it difficult for new audiences to get into the story, especially since the obvious hero's journey aspect, with Twilight's development from being somewhat of a recluse to Princess of Friendship, would have already concluded. Still, who knows what will happen in 3 years.

Unrelated to the discussions, but if anyone has a better theory than this I'd like to hear about it:

94d.png
Show crew have suggested both that Dougworld Sunset doesn't exist and what the image suggests.

Top Bottom