• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

Scarecrow said:
3rd row, 2nd column.
me-gusta.png
me_gusta_by_br0ny-d3ht9mu.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What the fuck did I just watch.

What.

WHAT.

DID I WATCH.

This episode was somehow incredibly disturbing, incredibly strange, and yet incredibly hilarious.

This episode is pretty much GOD TIER, but I don't know if my fragile mind is actually capable of handling too many episodes like this.

I don't know if this episode is really good as an "introductory" episode, but if any episode could possibly convert the neigh-sayers, this is it.

(That's right, I just said "neigh"-sayers. What are you gonna do about it?)

Narag said:
Luna ep so canonical characterization
Given how true most seem to be to the characterization of even the mane 6 in the show, I doubt this will change much beyond the initial whining that she is not the way she is in their favorite/own fanfic.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DeadPhoenix said:
Given how true most seem to be to the characterization of even the mane 6 in the show, I doubt this will change much beyond the initial whining that she is not the way she is in their favorite/own fanfic.

But keep in mind, Luna has no character. everything beyond her character design has been made up by the fans. There is nothing to go on.

Narag

My prediction: Episode will reveal
Celestia urged her into tormenting Ponyville which will establish Luna canon and cement Trollestia canon

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PBalfredo said:
Well, I would have to ask why anyone would want an avatar of Twilight with an outhouse on her head

71824%20-%20lesson_zero%20nest%20twilight_sparkle%20winter_wrap_up.png
Back to the drawing board for chicks theory on subtle humour.

-

As for the lady of the moon, she's a blank slate in my mind so she need only not disappoint and I shalt continue to fly the banner of the new republic. Plus what we've seen in the preview is very heartening.

It's always been my impression that most Luna fanwork depicts her as kind of a blank-slate type of character. Like they don't really do anything bold with her. I don't see how a Luna episode would contradict much of the fanstuffs.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The Awesomest said:
It's always been my impression that most Luna fanwork depicts her as kind of a blank-slate type of character. Like they don't really do anything bold with her. I don't see how a Luna episode would contradict much of the fanstuffs.
This is true, personally is like to know what forrester thinks canon lunas character is, because I certainly don't know it. Maybe he just can't accept the thought that trollestia is Canon and so paints everything anti-Tia as fanon.

Acerac

Banned
hateradio said:
How is asset recycling amazing?
There was absolutely no need to mess up the nest, they could have kept it looking identical and nobody would have cared. The throwback to the horrific nest Twilight made in the earlier episode makes it much more funny in comparison.

It is asset recycling done right. ;)

As a sidenote, is there any chance somebody would be able to make me an av of row 3, spot 4 from the wall of insanity? I love Dashie, but Twilight has really been earning her spot as the mane character as of late.

Regulus Tera said:
They could have used any of the other nests the ponies were crafting in Wrap-Up if it were really asset recycling.

Um they did. The nest goes from one of Rarity's nests (sans ribbon layers) to the broken one. They needed a good nest and a broken one for the sight gag, you can't really comment on whether it was clever referencing or efficiency. Doesn't really matter either way.

Great episode for sight gags and jokes. It was good to see Celestia participate, rather than delegate. There wasn't that much in the way of character depth, it was kinda weak in that respect.

Orcastar

I agree that while this episode was amazing, they shouldn't try to make every episode quite as extreme. There's room for complete mental breakdowns as well as more warmhearted and mellow episodes in the series.

Can't wait to see how Luna turns out.

duckroll

Wow. This was a REALLY good episode. It easily outclasses the first two episodes I wasn't really too hot on. Great direction, AWESOME faces, and a pretty solid episode gag. Also, this time it's actually a good lesson about friendship! Unlike some of the others. <3

Jex

I was a bit worried about this season because the first two episode were rather underwhelming, but this a pretty amazing episode.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Wow. This was a REALLY good episode. It easily outclasses the first two episodes I wasn't really too hot on. Great direction, AWESOME faces, and a pretty solid episode gag. Also, this time it's actually a good lesson about friendship! Unlike some of the others. <3
Ducky's a fan? Wooo! I always thought he just tolerates us and stuff :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So essentially this is the height of Twilight's mental breakdown which we have seen signs in previous episodes.

...why are there no pony psychologists?

Negator

Ookami-kun said:
So essentially this is the height of Twilight's mental breakdown which we have seen signs in previous episodes.

The pony needing psychological help tried to play the psychologist.

duckroll

Ookami-kun said:

It's probably not a particularly appealing profession, considering how "low tech" the overall Pony world seems to be. Most products and services provided in the society seem to be based on more basic needs and wants.

ZealousD said:
What the fuck did I just watch.
What.
WHAT.
DID I WATCH.
This episode was somehow incredibly disturbing, incredibly strange, and yet incredibly hilarious.
This episode is pretty much GOD TIER, but I don't know if my fragile mind is actually capable of handling too many episodes like this.
I don't know if this episode is really good as an "introductory" episode, but if any episode could possibly convert the neigh-sayers, this is it.
(That's right, I just said "neigh"-sayers. What are you gonna do about it?)

Orcastar said:
I agree that while this episode was amazing, they shouldn't try to make every episode quite as extreme. There's room for complete mental breakdowns as well as more warmhearted and mellow episodes in the series.
Can't wait to see how Luna turns out.

So yeah late to the party, but this is how I feel about the episode. Like it was just SO CRAZY and funny, but I really hope they don't make every episode like this, otherwise I think they'd be just catering to Bronies looking for funny new meme material.

The animation is just amazing. Really love how the expressions and movement are getting fluid. As well as the "3D" town sections with Twilight walking.

Do people really think all the episodes will be as crazy as this one? Im sure we are going to have a nice mixing of episodes.
Im calling it now, if this continues like this it can suprepass easily first season.

hateradio said:
How is asset recycling amazing?

You have been answered, but come on, you really think that was only asset recycling and not a reference to another episode gag?
They could have perfectly have get a good nest, they have (and not only in Winter Wrap Up) been lots of normal nest drawn, but they chose to get the fucked up one of WWU.

I'll be one of the few who wasn't fond of the episode.

We're getting ponies going crazy a little too often. The episode was borderline slapstick humor. It doesn't help that we just finished a two-parter with ponies going crazy... then we got another crazy pony ep. :/

Rapeface Twilight overstayed its welcome imho.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Do people really think all the episodes will be as crazy as this one? Im sure we are going to have a nice mixing of episodes.
Im calling it now, if this continues like this it can suprepass easily first season.

This. It's just one episode guys. I mean, it's not like the first season had stuff like this.

Wolf Akela said:

We're getting ponies going crazy a little too often. The episode was borderline slapstick humor. It doesn't help that we just finished a two-parter with ponies going crazy... then we got another crazy pony ep. :/

It's not slapstick humor at all (no, the ball of violence doesn't count since it's more of a general animation thing than humor). Okay, there's that bear, but that's just once!

And honestly, I tend to consider the two-parter a part of season 1.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wolf Akela said:

I didn't think it went as far as Party of One did. Which is a good thing. It still felt like Twilight was in character, and she pretty much snapped out of it herself once she saw things getting out of control with her magic. She learned something.

Pinkie will still go insane at the first sign of rejection.

I don't think comparing the two situations is all that necessary, but you did, so opinions.

Looking at the reality of each situation, I don't know if sadly having a party by yourself with imaginary friends is as crazy as abusing your magic to damage a friendship. Especially when you consider Pinkie Pie had no feedback from her friends, and Twilight had supportive reassurances that everything would be alright. In terms of the cartoon effects to play up their emotional state, I think Creepy (Horse Teeth) Twilight is more disturbing than Pinkamena. (Even though neither one bothers me)

Pinkie realized that she was jumping to conclusions about the quality of her friends, but Twilight was still kinda rationalizing her behaviour up until the moment Celestia showed up. There's no way the Pinkie thing could happen again, but I can still see a minor Twilight anxiety episode at the next big Celestia-related deadline. Heck, the cupcakes scene implies that she's just generally high strung.

I will agree that it's more in character since we've seen this specific brand of Twilight freak out in the past. The only real basis Party of One calls back to is the beginning of Griffon the Brush Off, where her persistence in wanting to hang out with her friends paid off. I always thought of Party of One as the other side of that coin.

Pandaman said:
Back to the drawing board for chicks theory on subtle humour.

-

As for the lady of the moon, she's a blank slate in my mind so she need only not disappoint and I shalt continue to fly the banner of the new republic. Plus what we've seen in the preview is very heartening.

I demand to know what on earth you're referring to.

Edit: ITUNES, WHERE ART THOU?!

PRESS THE RED BUTTON THAT SAYS "RELEASE MLP EPISODE" :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Captain Fish said:
Pinkie realized that she was jumping to conclusions about the quality of her friends, but Twilight was still kinda rationalizing her behaviour up until the moment Celestia showed up. There's no way the Pinkie thing could happen again, but I can still see a minor Twilight anxiety episode at the next big Celestia-related deadline. Heck, the cupcakes scene implies that she's just generally high strung.

I don't know. Pinkie figured out she was wrong, but there's nothing to suggest she learned something. The crippling abandonment issues remain.

McNum

This episode was funny, it's amazing just how fragile the pony psyche is. Still, the other five should have picked up on "Oh dear, Twilight is getting obsessive again...", but that WAS the lesson of the episode, so it's all good.

The animation has changed a bit, I think. For one, it's obvious that the animators have gotten better with the ponies, and considering what they improved from, it's pretty amazing. They go way off-model, but in a good way. Twilight's faces were just hilarious.

Also, everypony must have leveled up after defeating Discord. Twilight can now teleport at will, even does so casually now, and Rainbow Dash has mastered the Sonic Rainboom to the point where she can use it for demolitions.

It also amuses me a little about Fluttershy. That bear wrestling she did, didn't seem like it was anything special for her, so... what DOES Fluttershy do when she's not on screen? If wrestling bears is normal for her, it suddenly makes a lot more sense where her badass side comes from. Not that she'd ever admit that being able to something like that to a bear, even when it's cooperating, is pretty awesome. It's just something she does.

I wonder if I should replace glass-Twilight there with one of Twilight's faces from this episode. The starry-eyed one is pretty funny.

OMG Aero

McNum said:
This episode was funny, it's amazing just how fragile the pony psyche is. Still, the other five should have picked up on "Oh dear, Twilight is getting obsessive again...", but that WAS the lesson of the episode, so it's all good.

The animation has changed a bit, I think. For one, it's obvious that the animators have gotten better with the ponies, and considering what they improved from, it's pretty amazing. They go way off-model, but in a good way. Twilight's faces were just hilarious.

Also, everypony must have leveled up after defeating Discord. Twilight can now teleport at will, even does so casually now, and Rainbow Dash has mastered the Sonic Rainboom to the point where she can use it for demolitions.

It also amuses me a little about Fluttershy. That bear wrestling she did, didn't seem like it was anything special for her, so... what DOES Fluttershy do when she's not on screen? If wrestling bears is normal for her, it suddenly makes a lot more sense where her badass side comes from. Not that she'd ever admit that being able to something like that to a bear, even when it's cooperating, is pretty awesome. It's just something she does.

I wonder if I should replace glass-Twilight there with one of Twilight's faces from this episode. The starry-eyed one is pretty funny.
I'm pretty sure that was just an effect to recreate the mushroom cloud resemblance and not an actual Sonic Rainboom (This shockwave has already been reused before for Twilight's fail safe spell in the first episode). Not to mention the shockwave seems to happen after the explosion starts:
megaton-1kull.gif

Or at least I hope it isn't a Sonic Rainboom anyway. It really cheapens the Sonic Rainboom episode if she can just do it willy nilly now and I don't want Rainbow Dash to turn into a Mary Sue character that is literally the best pegasus and can do a Sonic Rainboom whenever she wants.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
OMG Aero said:
Or at least I hope it isn't a Sonic Rainboom anyway. It really cheapens the Sonic Rainboom episode if she can just do it willy nilly now and I don't want Rainbow Dash to turn into a Mary Sue character that is literally the best pegasus and can do a Sonic Rainboom whenever she wants.

Well it happened well after she hit the building, so she would have slowed down.

not a rainboom.

OMG Aero said:
I don't want Rainbow Dash to turn into a Mary Sue character that is literally the best pegasus and can do a Sonic Rainboom whenever she wants.
Well she was already the first and only person to do one, so I'd say she wins.

Unless in season 2 we get to see the Wonderbolts show why they're so great.

McNum

Rainbow Dash can still use her speed to make a Rainboom-like effect for demolitions. But looking at it, it's missing one thing from the proper Sonic Rainboom: The rainbow. In a Rainboom, we'd see Rainbow Dash fly off with a rainbow in tow. Actually, it doesn't look like Rainbow Dash flies out of the barn at all after setting that thing off. Peagsi are pretty durable if she can do that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
OMG Aero said:

Be she already is the best pegasus! No other pegasus has pulled off a Sonic Rainboom!

And even if she could pull a Sonic Rainboom whenever she wants now, that wouldn't make her a Mary Sue.

Top Bottom