• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Just heard the same phrase from a spanish forum where they also have a pony thread.
I dont now what big Mac does in this episode, because i yet need to watch it, but it seems they are cramming small jokes for the fandom?

It makes sense in context as the teeniest possible nod to the periphery demographic, and also a funny gag that anyone who wasn't apprised of it would laugh at. Didn't feel like pandering in the slightest (all the derpy, on the other hand...)

Also, found this post on /co/, thought it was interesting

I sort of feel that way. It's just that there was a LOT of crazy goign on. Arguably more than any other individual episode. Just about everyone is shown doing something fucking awesome, and Twilight is so deep in creepytown it's not even funny. Folks like their crazy in small doses. That's why bits like Flutterguy and Po1 Pinkie are as fun and cool as they are. Sticks out as something truly awesome. This time, the episode is slathered in it. Like the corner piece of a cake, there's just too much icing for some folks.

Granted, I don't think that this detracts from it being a good episode, just trying to explain why folks might think that.

I think that post's pretty accurate. It might just be because I was expecting to see something different, but our first Faustless episode felt subtly off. Still as good as it ever was, just different. It feels like they're willing to go a lot more over the top with traditional animation tropes (RD and Fluttershy kicking ass, crazy Twilight facial expressions) than they have in the past, albeit that the show was already headed in that direction with Part of One and stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah the big Mac thing could have been a brony joke, but if it was, great. Keep the jokes really subtle like that and out of the way of the main show.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Egophiliac is fast.

YgWMS.png

2th

Banned
DrForester said:
RainBOOM indeed!

i think it is more like RainNUKE. Someone get me a gif of that explosion... it will make a fantastic banned/friendship macro.

Also episode was fantastic. New intro disappointed a little. Dont really like the new singer as much. Also not enough Luna, Trixie, Derpy, or CMC in it.

e_i said:
Indeed. Orgy gone wrong, haha.

e_i

Hub network stalker perhaps?

Acerac

Banned
Holy shit! I was worried about the quality of season 2 but it was obviously completely unwarranted.

It was so good that Twilight might be moving up in my pony tiers. This is by far her funniest episode ever.

Acerac said:
Holy shit! I was worried about the quality of season 2 but it was obviously completely unwarranted.

It was so good that Twilight might be moving up in my pony tiers. This is by far her funniest episode ever.

I think her performance in S2E2 was even better, (This is my book, AND I'M GONNA READ IT!) but yeah, Twilight's been awesome lately

Orcastar

Episode was awesome. Not quite as good as some S1 episodes, but still top tier. Twilight is clearly best pony, but the others had some amazing scenes too. Pinkie didn't get up to anything crazy though, which was a bit disappointing.

Seems the E/I watermark is history. I remember there being some talk earlier that they removed it just for the season opener, but it would seem it's gone for good.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I wonder if that ending means not every episode will have a letter for the Princess. I guess that's why the "E/I" wasn't in the corner.

Also, it sounds like the voice actresses for the CMCs hit puberty. I wonder how they'll work around this.

BatDan said:
I wonder if that ending means not every episode will have a letter for the Princess. I guess that's why the "E/I" wasn't in the corner.

Hmm, I had not thought of that. While I do not mind letters to the princess, I would like it if the show had as little restrictions creatively as possible.

After all, there are only so many lessons they can do before they just rehash stuff.

Acerac

Banned
Amibguous Cad said:
I think her performance in S2E2 was even better, (This is my book, AND I'M GONNA READ IT!) but yeah, Twilight's been awesome lately
Fair enough, Twilight has been awesome lately. It scares me that she may be one of the funniest in the group, I would have never expected that during most of Season 1.
TouchMyBox said:
Hmm, I had not thought of that. While I do not mind letters to the princess, I would like it if the show had as little restrictions creatively as possible.

After all, there are only so many lessons they can do before they just rehash stuff.
Sounds good to me. The more freedom the writers are allowed the better.

karby

2th said:
i think it is more like RainNUKE. Someone get me a gif of that explosion... it will make a fantastic banned/friendship macro.

Also episode was fantastic. New intro disappointed a little. Dont really like the new singer as much. Also not enough Luna, Trixie, Derpy, or CMC in it.

e_i

Hub network stalker perhaps?
I dunno, I kind of like atomic rainbomb a little better.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Animation seemed improved and insane twi was great. Voice work did feel out of practice for some characters and the problem and celestia scenes felt somewhat rushed.

So I say good, not great. A strong start to the season but if it was trying to be a party of one it didn't quite make it there.

sumo390

Looks like I'm going to need a new Twilight Sparkle avatar, but there are so many great choices from this episode. (Crazy Twilight Sparkle is amazing)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Thinking about it, this episode is actually pretty creepy when you consider the implications it has on Twilight's chilhood. :s She must have had it rough in school.

karby

akira28 said:
131868904738.gif

Oh. Oh my god. She..she broke his neck.

So he asks Fluttershy why she neglected to watch his house after she totally promised she would...and she responds by breaking his neck. Poor Harry. :(

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Twilight's "Want-It-Need-It" spell confirms that if she ever turns evil, everything is screwed.

In "Green Isn't Your Color" that she can control other ponies like puppets (Helping Fluttershy sabotage her show), and as shown here she can make everyone desire an object. A skill she can easily apply to herself.

So if the Jean Gray comparisons from her flashback are accurate... yeah Equestria would be fucked.

Whogie

Mediocre to me. Things like the tone and animation really felt 'off' the entire time. It wasn't until I came to this thread afterwards that I learned that this was the first Faustless episode.

Hopefully the new guy just needs some time to hit his stride. The first few episodes of season 1 were weak to me too.

Whogie said:
Mediocre to me. Things like the tone and animation really felt 'off' the entire time. It wasn't until I came to this thread afterwards that I learned that this was the first Faustless episode.

Hopefully the new guy just needs some time to hit his stride. The first few episodes of season 1 were weak to me too.

You cant be serious, I could understand you felt the tone was not right, but the animation? The animation of this episode was just incredible, animators going nuts looney tunes offmodel style. The expressions, the movements... so much life.

Top Bottom