• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My prediction: FFV and FFVI Advance are either 2007-bound or cancelled

terrene

Banned
There's only 5.5 lousy months left in this year and they haven't even announced a release date or shown it in playable form. What gives, anyway? Has there been even one iota of news since it was scheduled to be shown in video form at E3?

Too bad, man; FFIV Advance was great!

ant1532

Banned
terrene said:
There's only 4.5 lousy months left in this year and they haven't even announced a release date or shown it in playable form. What gives, anyway? Has there been even one iota of news since it was scheduled to be shown in video form at E3?

Theres not much to show. They're still coming

terrene

Banned
As to which outcome is more likely: I say cancellation -- these two titles are literally the only A-list releases left for the poor, poor GBA.

terrene said:
There's only 4.5 lousy months left in this year and they haven't even announced a release date or shown it in playable form. What gives, anyway? Has there been even one iota of news since it was scheduled to be shown in video form at E3?

FFIV Advance bombed in my opinion (in Japan & w/n the States) so VI & VI are probably gonna be ported to the DS or upgraded to 3-D.

I think Square's just waiting to see how well FFIII does in Japan & the U.S. first.
If it sells really well then they'll decide to change FFV & VI into a DS 3-D adventure!

Auron

terrene said:
As to which outcome is more likely: I say cancellation -- these two titles are literally the only A-list releases left for the poor, poor GBA.

It isn't cancelled; I have my sources...

demi

Has Nintendo revealed their lineup for Fall/Winter 06 yet? Release dates?

No? THEN SHADDAP AND WAIT

There's still plenty of time to work on it for a holiday release, but I hope they bundle it on a DS cart or remake them as square2005 suggested.

I'm guessing they may have been moved to the DS and will get redone in 3D.

Lets face it, Square-Enix knows they'd probably sell 2-3x the copies that way. DS is just too hot of a platform right now.

terrene

Banned
demi said:
Has Nintendo revealed their lineup for Fall/Winter 06 yet? Release dates?

No? THEN SHADDAP AND WAIT
But demi, you don't understand -- I'm so impatient. Every moment I had to wait for an SFII XBLA announcement was like a cockslap to the face, man!

Nintendo may be urging Square to release FFV/VI to DS instead to boost sales in America and slow sales of the GBA.
A similar thing happened in 1991:
FFIV was planned to be released on the FC;
Nintendo objected - told Square release it on the SFC...
It'll boost the SFC and slow the FC sales.

Square2005 said:
Nintendo may be urging Square to release FFV/VI to DS instead to boost sales in America and slow sales of the GBA.

I shall await your graph of this... :)

ethelred

Square2005 said:
FFIV Advance bombed in my opinion (in Japan & w/n the States) so VI & VI are probably gonna be ported to the DS or upgraded to 3-D.

I think Square's just waiting to see how well FFIII does in Japan & the U.S. first.
If it sells really well then they'll decide to change FFV & VI into a DS 3-D adventure!

Are you out of your freaking mind? :lol

400k in sales between Japan and the US for a port (that Square Enix didn't even do themselves, but outsourced to TOSE) of an SNES game is not by any reasonable definition "bombing."

Square Enix made a ****load of money off FFIV Advance, and it's sold more than a ton of their real, honest-to-god new games (that required actual development time and actual development budgets), like Front Mission IV, V, and Online, all three Fullmetal Alchemist PS2 games, Grandia 3, Heavy Metal Thunder, Code Age Commanders, and so on.

But in your opinion, it bombed. With 400,000 in sales. Holy god, the lack of perspective of some people on GAF just amazes me. :lol

demi

terrene said:
But demi, you don't understand -- I'm so impatient. Every moment I had to wait for an SFII XBLA announcement was like a cockslap to the face, man!

First rule of being a ninthing is to be patient.

Nintendo always comes through -- praise be to the DS.

ethelred said:
Are you out of your freaking mind? :lol

400k in sales between Japan and the US for a port (that Square Enix didn't even do themselves, but outsourced to TOSE) of an SNES game is not by any reasonable definition "bombing."

400k for a game that is 15 years old, no less.
FFIV is, indeed, awesome. Lunarians to return in FFXIII- just watch. :D

terrene

Banned
demi said:
First rule of being a ninthing is to be patient.

Nintendo always comes through -- praise be to the DS.
Thank god I'm not a Nintenthing; "be patient" wouldn't have worked on me during the sailing bits in Wind Waker.

White Man

terrene said:
Thank god I'm not a Nintenthing; "be patient" wouldn't have worked on me during the sailing bits in Wind Waker.

I wouldn't worry, duder. We didn't know jack shit about FF4 GBA until 1up did a story on it about 2 months before release, detailing the features and the bonus dungeon. Like someone else said. . .there really isn't much to show.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if only one of the games sees release this year. Why should SquareEnix be forced to compete with themselves?

Also:

The dumped on battle system ruined it for me. I hope they've taken this year to port the games correctly. If FFIV was the best effort they could've done, then a playable FF6 on GBA might be impossible. PROVE ME WRONG TOSE.

terrene

Banned
Square2005 said:
Exactly - it does seem a little odd for Nintendo to let Square throw these two games away on a system that they've already "used up." (GBA has sold all it's going to sell, and already has FFIV for oldschool RPG lovers). Plus, they've gotta move those DS units, man -- they're trying to build a new platform! Aand Square is already heavily invested in the DS with FFIII. If they're really so far along in the FFV & FFVI ports, I guess there no sense throwing that money away, either, but I'm not sure they even are.

TheJollyCorner said:
I shall await your graph of this... :)

Here it is:
My predictions for the sales of the FF Advances if they aren't ported to DS b/w Jp & US.
ffadvancesjpvushu6.png

FFIVAdvance shoulda outsold the original SNES vers. IMO (which shouldn't have been to difficult to do) considereing FF is about seven times as popular as it was back then...

So yeah I consider FFIVAdv a bomb!

EDIT: I'm getting faster at this. Down to 17 minutes :lol.

EDIT: The point of this graph is to show how much more successful V/VI can be if made into FFIII DS-style titles IMO versus keeping them GBA ports.

i dont really understand the whole "GBA is dead" thing as to why FFV or VI cant be successful. so what if its not selling, the install base is there ... same with alot of other GBA titles that are dont seem to be coming to the US b.c of this

especially since DS is BC

ethelred

Square2005 said:

So yeah you're ****ing delusional.

400k = not a bomb. You're nuts.

Selling more than a huge percentage of SE's original, costly games = not bombing.

Making SE a ton of money = not bombing.

Stop being a Sales-Age Emo Drama Queen.

mutsu

Move to DS. Even if the means the 2nd screen is just a blank screen. Just for the sake of better music. PLEASE!

ethelred said:
So yeah you're ****ing delusional.

I have NPD monthly SW/HW sales going back 12 years so I know what is a success and what isn't w/n the States!

500k - US for FFI&II is successful considering FFII wasn't released here but <200k for a title that most revere as one of the SNES's best and most sought after and valuable can't break 300k by now on Nintendo's most successful system here w/ a nearly 32m userbase! But w/ a userbase of 18m it could at least sell 200k when no RPG was even able to break the 500k barrier!

cvxfreak

mutsu said:
Move to DS. Even if the means the 2nd screen is just a blank screen. Just for the sake of better music. PLEASE!

I actually wouldn't be super suprised if somewhere down the line they decided to release two versions to take advantage of the DS's uptake in Japan, or combine them into one game. Kinda like that Mother rumor on EGM.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
EGM printed a rumor this month that a Mother compilation is coming to DS (for the US market anyway)... Excellent idea! And a good compromise for FFV and VI Advance, too! Make it a DS cart!

EDIT: Whoa.. beaten by cvxfreak.

But yo... I'm sure they are coming for GBA.

Prediction: The Nintendo WiFi game download service will not be only for the Wii. You will be able to download full games for the DS as well.

This could be how games like Final Fantasy IV-VI (the 2D versions) are sold on the DS.

Just a thought. An internal memory supply for the DS wouldn't really be hard ... just have a cartridge adaptor with mini-SD slot on it, and boom .... you're good to start downloading games from Nintendo.

ethelred

Square2005 said:
I have NPD monthly SW/HW sales going back 12 years so I know what is a success and what isn't w/n the States!

500k - US for FFI&II is successful considering FFII wasn't released here but <200k for a title that most revere as one of the SNES's best and most sought after and valuable can't break 300k by now on Nintendo's most successful system here w/ a nearly 32m userbase! But w/ a userbase of 18m it could at least sell 200k when no RPG was even able to break the 500k barrier!

I don't care what old data you have. You're just flat out wrong, and you seem to completely lack perspective on this.

I also see that you've redefined your argument -- originally stating that it was a bomb worldwide, now restricting this delusional drama queening to the US.

It's probably up to near ~200k by now, given what it was the last time recent NPD GBA numbers came out. 200k for a port of an SNES RPG in the US is not a bomb. 400k in Japan/the US is not bombing. Period. Your expectations are skewed and not at all realistic, and your definitions are out of whack with reality. A game doesn't bomb if it's making its company a ton of money.

Sigma Star Saga, at around 10k total, is bombing. Final Fantasy IV Advance is not.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Square2005 said:

not only are you far too cocky for your own good, but you're wrong

that's not a bomb.

ethelred said:
I don't care what old data you have. You're just flat out wrong, and you seem to completely lack perspective on this.

I also see that you've redefined your argument -- originally stating that it was a bomb worldwide, now restricting this delusional drama queening to the US.

It's probably up to near ~200k by now, given what it was the last time recent NPD GBA numbers came out. 200k for a port of an SNES RPG in the US is not a bomb. 400k in Japan/the US is not bombing. Period. Your expectations are skewed and not at all realistic, and your definitions are out of whack with reality. A game doesn't bomb if it's making its company a ton of money.

Sigma Star Saga, at around 10k total, is bombing. Final Fantasy IV Advance is not.

I never mentioned WW only Jp/US, re-read my original post.

If it wasn't a bomb then why don't V/VI at least have Japanese release dates by now?
Why the talk about them being remade for the DS? Maybe Square isn't happy with the results of FFIVAdv!?
That means to them it was a bomb, meaning it sold less than they had projected.
FFV should have been released by now in Japan...don't you think?

jko

Square2005 said:
i pray for this to happen, as FF4a was a shoddy port with all kinds of excrements.

ethelred

Square2005 said:
If it wasn't a bomb then why don't V/VI at least have Japanese release dates by now?

Maybe for the same reason that no one even knew about FFIV Advance at all until about a month and a half before it came out.

Square2005 said:
Why the talk about them being remade for the DS? Maybe Square isn't happy with the results of FFIVAdv!?

Point me to a single Square Enix exec "talking" about them being remade for the DS. Go for it. I'll wait.
Okay, then. Point me to a single reputable media source "talking" about them being canceled and remade for the DS. No, no. Take your time.
Oh, wait... you mean the only people talking about that are Internet Fans? Oh, you should've said so from the start!
And FFIVA made Square money. That's a result Yoichi Wada will always be happy with.

Square2005 said:
That means to them it was a bomb, meaning it sold less than they had projected.

Does your 12 years' worth of NPD data now also tell you what Square Enix of Japan is projecting for sales on miscellaneous titles? I rather doubt that.

Square2005 said:

Looks to me like they're waiting on the holidays.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Square2005 said:

Well FFIV: Advance came out in the US first, didn't it?

Zeed

Banned
I'm pretty sure the reason Square isn't showing off FFV or FFVI is very simple:

FFIII

They clearly expect big things from FFIII - it's at the very top of Famitsu's most wanted list, they've appealed to Nintendo to make sure that there'll be enough DS Lites to meet the demand for FFIII, and they're even making an FFIII/DSL bundle pack.

They don't want to distract people from FFIII. My bet is that you'll see a flood of FFV and FFVI information or even the FFV launch not too long after FFIII's release.

Polari

Square2005 said:
Here it is:
My predictions for the sales of the FF Advances if they aren't ported to DS b/w Jp & US.
ffadvancesjpvushu6.png

FFIVAdvance shoulda outsold the original SNES vers. IMO (which shouldn't have been to difficult to do) considereing FF is about seven times as popular as it was back then...

EDIT: I'm getting faster at this. Down to 17 minutes :lol.

EDIT: The point of this graph is to show how much more successful V/VI can be if made into FFIII DS-style titles IMO versus keeping them GBA ports.

Nice graph. :lol :lol :lol

mikeGFG

Banned
mutsu said:

Ohh hell no. This isn't even an option.

I NEED MY GBA GAMES DAMN YOU.

Top Bottom