• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My prediction: FFV and FFVI Advance are either 2007-bound or cancelled

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Slightly off topic... but I find it funny that Tose was "outed" in the pages of EGM this month (in a blurb at the bottom of the VP: Lenneth review), about a month and a half after GAF was abuzz with Tose-talk.... Coincidence? I think not.

ethelred said:
Maybe for the same reason that no one even knew about FFIV Advance at all until about a month and a half before it came out.

Point me to a single Square Enix exec "talking" about them being remade for the DS. Go for it. I'll wait.
Okay, then. Point me to a single reputable media source "talking" about them being canceled and remade for the DS. No, no. Take your time.
Oh, wait... you mean the only people talking about that are Internet Fans? Oh, you should've said so from the start!
And FFIVA made Square money. That's a result Yoichi Wada will always be happy with.

Does your 12 years' worth of NPD data now also tell you what Square Enix of Japan is projecting for sales on miscellaneous titles? I rather doubt that.

Looks to me like they're waiting on the holidays.

1. So you think waiting this long to release V/VI, while the GBA dies in Japan, is not unusual for the most popular remakes in the series? Then why was this thread started? Go tell terrene this isn't unusual for a long hiatus before a surprise release of the most anticipated FF remakes (FFV for Japan & FFVI for us) on a dying system.

2. I never said FFIVAdv didn't make money. Of course it did but in my opinion it should've sold more so I consider it a bomb compared to DoS.

3. NPD is only for U.S. sales, it has nothing to do with Japan. Is FFIVAdv a miscellaneous title?

4. Christmas '06 for FFV & Christmas '07 for FFVI? Is that what you're suggesting?

ethelred

Square2005 said:
1. So you think waiting this long to release V/VI, while the GBA dies in Japan, is not unusual for the most popular remakes in the series? Then why was this thread started? Go tell terrene this isn't unusual for a long hiatus before a surprise release of the most anticipated FF remakes (FFV for Japan & FFVI for us) on a dying system.

I don't know why this thread was started.

FFVI Advance is 2007-bound, seeing as that's what Nintendo has the game listed as. They have FFV Advance as 2006 still, though.

Square2005 said:
2. I never said FFIVAdv didn't make money. Of course it did but in my opinion it should've sold more so I consider it a bomb compared to DoS.

Then your consideration is incorrect, mainly because your definition does not match up to reality. "Bombing" is not the same as "selling very, very well but not as much as some people would've liked it to sell."

Square2005 said:
3. NPD is only for U.S. sales, it has nothing to do with Japan. Is FFIVAdv a miscellaneous title?

I'm aware of what NPD is. FFIV Advance has sold a ton better than a huge number of Square Enix RPGs, and if you restrict this just to the US (again, you wobble back and forth between US/JP and US-only) it's even more in FFIVA's favor.

Square2005 said:
4. Christmas '06 for FFV & Christmas '07 for FFVI? Is that what you're suggesting?

No, I think we'll see V at Christmas. I don't know when we'll see VI, but probably April or so.

Zeed

Banned
ethelred!

Square2005!

Stop squabbling! There's only one sure way to settle this and see who's genuinely confident about their position.

Bet a ban that you're right!

ethelred

Zyid said:
ethelred!

Square2005!

Stop squabbling! There's only one sure way to settle this and see who's genuinely confident about their position.

Bet a ban that you're right!

How can I bet a ban that I'm right about FFIV Advance not being a bomb? That's what I'm arguing about.

Also, what is it with you and telling people to bet their accounts over stupid shit? First Pellham on FE10 and Sothe, now me on this.

Zeed

Banned
The root argument was FFV and FFVI's release. But nevermind, please proceed.

ethelred said:
Also, what is it with you and telling people to bet their accounts over stupid shit?
I'm in a gambling mood tonight! I'm also slightly drunk.

And by slightly I mean very.

ethelred said:
I don't know why this thread was started.

FFVI Advance is 2007-bound, seeing as that's what Nintendo has the game listed as. They have FFV Advance as 2006 still, though.

Then your consideration is incorrect, mainly because your definition does not match up to reality. "Bombing" is not the same as "selling very, very well but not as much as some people would've liked it to sell."

I'm aware of what NPD is. FFIV Advance has sold a ton better than a huge number of Square Enix RPGs, and if you restrict this just to the US (again, you wobble back and forth between US/JP and US-only) it's even more in FFIVA's favor.

No, I think we'll see V at Christmas. I don't know when we'll see VI, but probably April or so.

1. Again, you don't think this hiatus of info or a release date is odd?

2. Sorry I had my own opinion. If I believe a title bombed and you disagree does that mean I'm not matching up to reality.

3. Of course FFIV Adv has sold better than many S-E RPGs! Do you expect an FF-remake to sell similar to a new/remade SaGa title or new series like Fullmetal Alchemist or Radiata Stories (in the US)? It's expected to do much better than those new or non-mainstream titles. I expected more from the first RPG series to release titles that can break the million barrier (in the US).

ethelred

Zyid said:
The root argument was FFV and FFVI's release. But nevermind, please proceed.

Well, sure, that was the root of it, but I mostly just took issue with the emo Sales-Age Drama Queening Square was doing over FFIV Advance's sales. :)

Zyid said:
I'm in a gambling mood tonight! I'm also slightly drunk.

And by slightly I mean very.

Excellent. I fully encourage more shitfaced forum browsing/posting. Keep up the good work!

Zeed

Banned
ethelred said:
Well, sure, that was the root of it, but I mostly just took issue with the emo Sales-Age Drama Queening Square was doing over FFIV Advance's sales. :)
Very well then!

ethelred said:
Excellent. I fully encourage more shitfaced forum browsing/posting. Keep up the good work!
Yes m'am.

ethelred said:

I said in my original post: it bombed in my opinion and the next thing I know ethelred won't shut up about how out of touch I am with reality and how I've become teh sales drama queen!
Sorry, man. Didn't mean to hit a nerve.
So from now on if anyone suggests a game bombed even if it's your own opinion ethelred will be all over you like flies on poop...

White Man said:
Basically, Square2005 is permabanned if FF5 and 6 don't come out on GBA? I can live with this.

No it's the other way around.
I suggested V/VI would come out for the DS.

BTW how many gaffers have actually been permabanned?

I have no prediction per se, but if they were cancelled from the GBA, I could only believe that it would be done in order to port them to the FFIIIDS engine in order to capitalize on the DS's massive popularity.

mutsu

bmf said:
I have no prediction per se, but if they were cancelled from the GBA, I could only believe that it would be done in order to port them to the FFIIIDS engine in order to capitalize on the DS's massive popularity.

Nah, don't think Square would do that. Too much effort. It's not a "port" anymore, it's a complete remake, which doesn't make sense for games that has been already been ported to multiple platforms millions of times (FF5 and FF6). Only makes sense for FF3 to receive a complete remake because it was never released on anything else other than NES.

Square2005 said:
I said in my original post: it bombed in my opinion and the next thing I know ethelred won't shut up about how out of touch I am with reality and how I've become teh sales drama queen!
Sorry, man. Didn't mean to hit a nerve.
So from now on if anyone suggests a game bombed even if it's your own opinion ethelred will be all over you like flies on poop...
As somebody who hasn't posted in this thread yet, I've seen you argue just as much as he has, so perhaps your nerve has been hit as well? Also as somebody previously uninvolved with this thread, I have to say your opinions are ridiculous and incorrect. Something "bombing" is hardly a matter of opinion. If it's a significant financial success, it's not a bomb. Hell, even if it barely breaks even, that's not a bomb. I highly doubt anyone at Square Enix expected this game to light up the charts in the same way you apparently did. It was a port that they licensed out and for which they didn't have to do any major preproduction or design. It was likely a minimal investment.

As for V and VI coming to DS, that seems crazy. The amount of money they would have to spend to complete two more projects as ambitious as that after already budgeting for two GBA games would likely be more trouble than it's worth. This argument reminds me of the people who say "FFVII must be in the works for PS3 because it would so hugely successful!" Yeah of course it would, but it would also be an entire game budget that they could be using on something else, not to mention the actual personnel required to completely remake a game from scratch.

ethelred

Chris Remo said:
As somebody who hasn't posted in this thread yet, I've seen you argue just as much as he has, so perhaps your nerve has been hit as well? Also as somebody previously uninvolved with this thread, I have to say your opinions are ridiculous and incorrect. Something "bombing" is hardly a matter of opinion. If it's a significant financial success, it's not a bomb. Hell, even if it barely breaks even, that's not a bomb. I highly doubt anyone at Square Enix expected this game to light up the charts in the same way you apparently did. It was a port that they licensed out and for which they didn't have to do any major preproduction or design. It was likely a minimal investment.

Aw, thanks, Chris. You said just what I wanted to say, only much more nicely and politely. :)

I have 0 insider knowledge on this, but it is kinda crazy that these ports are (in the Americas) either going to be 2007 GBA releases, or will release at a time when III DS and XII will rightfully be crowding the FF attention. Wouldn't a time like now have been uncrowded?

Chris Remo said:

As for V and VI coming to DS, that seems crazy. The amount of money they would have to spend to complete two more projects as ambitious as that after already budgeting for two GBA games would likely be more trouble than it's worth. This argument reminds me of the people who say "FFVII must be in the works for PS3 because it would so hugely successful!" Yeah of course it would, but it would also be an entire game budget that they could be using on something else, not to mention the actual personnel required to completely remake a game from scratch.

Fine, I suppose I didn't realize the word 'bomb' was such a damning word but you guys are ignoring the point of this thread...why haven't FFV/VI been released/given a release date after being announced to be released this year during E3?

so, uh, new topic:

What do you guys think they'll add to FF VI Advance? It doesn't use the Job System, so they can't add new jobs, and there's already tons of characters for your party. Just a bonus dungeon? I guess they could throw in a new Esper or two....

mutsu said:
Nah, don't think Square would do that. Too much effort. It's not a "port" anymore, it's a complete remake, which doesn't make sense for games that has been already been ported to multiple platforms millions of times (FF5 and FF6). Only makes sense for FF3 to receive a complete remake because it was never released on anything else other than NES.
I gotta disagree. They're both huge properties. Square-Enix has just built a new engine from scratch, and dollars to donuts, they've built it with FF1-6 and DQ1-6 in mind. Scriptable cutscenes and plug in battle variations are a must, sounds are convertable, and really all that leaves is the models and textures. Since it's the DS we're talking about, we're talking about low poly and low res.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a lot of work, but it certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I have 0 insider knowledge on this, but it is kinda crazy that these ports are (in the Americas) either going to be 2007 GBA releases, or will release at a time when III DS and XII will rightfully be crowding the FF attention. Wouldn't a time like now have been uncrowded?

Exactly my question. Maybe Square is stuck on trying to improve the sound quality of the GBA for the rest of the FF Advances since V/VI, well mostly VI, are regarded as Nobuo Uematsu's best opi/opuses.

ethelred

Greenpanda said:
so, uh, new topic:

What do you guys think they'll add to FF VI Advance? It doesn't use the Job System, so they can't add new jobs, and there's already tons of characters for your party. Just a bonus dungeon? I guess they could throw in a new Esper or two....

Well, bonus dungeons (plural) for each game are a given, I'd say.

FFV should get a few extra jobs, and yeah, I'd agree that a couple of new Espers would seem the best way to go with FFVI.

There just honestly aren't as many things that they can do to radically improve these two, short of entering remake territory. Lack of character switching was a big flaw in IV that I don't see either of these two games sharing.

TreIII

ethelred said:
Well, bonus dungeons (plural) for each game are a given, I'd say.

FFV should get a few extra jobs, and yeah, I'd agree that a couple of new Espers would seem the best way to go with FFVI.

There just honestly aren't as many things that they can do to radically improve these two, short of entering remake territory. Lack of character switching was a big flaw in IV that I don't see either of these two games sharing.

Well, outside of "remake territory" there is the possibility that they could just add a few more extra characters that have no real bearing on the storyline in both games, much like Gogo and Umaro already are. For instance, how about putting all of those old internet rumors to rest for good, and allow us to bring back General Leo some how? I can also easily see them making it so you couple perhaps "recruit" some choice members from FF4 in FF5 and both 4 & 5 in FF6, considering that the basic graphics engine between all of the SNES FFs (outside of that sucky Mystic Quest...) aren't too, too far removed from each other.

Otherwise, that's basically it...at this point, I'm starting to be of the opinion that FF5 could (and probably should) still be a GBA title, but FF6 probably should just go on be converted into a stylish DS game to maximize its potential. I mean, honestly, FF6 commands a good deal of respect that is probably second only to FF7's. It is my opinion that SE should capitalize on that...

Top Bottom