• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My ps5 still have issue in rest mode

assurdum

Banned
So I bought it in June if I'm not remember wrong, but my ps5 has started to show issue in rest mode after the last firmware. I noticed it especially after played native ps5 games. Occasionally ps5 reboot automatically and said I have turned off the system unproperly. The hell? So it's just my ps5 is fucked even bought 8 months from launch? Fuck, I won't replace it because sony take 6 months from my previous experience.

Last edited:

Shmunter

So I bought it in June if I'm not remember wrong, but my ps5 has started to show issue in rest mode after the last firmware. I noticed it especially after played native ps5 games. Occasionally ps5 reboot automatically and said I have turned off the system unproperly. The hell? So it's just my ps5 is fucked even bought 8 months from launch? Fuck, I won't replace it because sony take 6 months from my previous experience.
Have you tried doing the usual database rebuilds etc?

If rebuilding the database doesn't work then bite the bullet and do a factory reset. I hope one of these fixes your rest mode problem.

Arioco

I haven't noticed any issue with my PS5 in rest mode. Not that I've used it too much lately anyway, but so far so good. Maybe you should try reinstalling everything again. Sounds like a software issue. This shit happens. I had to do it once to my PS4 Pro because it started to show a weird behavior and reinstalling everything worked it out.

Why are you ppl stupid and use rest mode and fast resume and w/e useless shit that can damage the hardware? Its like you ppl never had a fucking piece of hardware bought. Shut it off properly. Stop using rest mode. Your life won't get better if you wait 10 more seconds for the console to boot.

cormack12

Gold Member
I ended up just detaching my external and haven't had any issues since. If I need it, I can just plug it back in and then stop extended storage before removing it again.

reksveks

Why are you ppl stupid and use rest mode and fast resume and w/e useless shit that can damage the hardware? Its like you ppl never had a fucking piece of hardware bought. Shut it off properly. Stop using rest mode. Your life won't get better if you wait 10 more seconds for the console to boot.

Or you know, companies could release products that doesn't have modes/features that could damage the hardware. This is not like a end-user sticking a screwdriver in an electrical socket.

Reactions: Isa

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
buy a UPS. Your room likely has power surges or fluctuations. The console is losing power which is why you are seeing that message.

Buy a universal power supply that can hold up to 300w and plug in your ps5 to the battery slot so when the power goes out, your ps5 stays in rest mode.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I do use the ‘turn off’ function instead of rest mode but you can hardly call people stupid because Sony include, and advertise, basic features that can brick your console.

Last time I checked the 3DS, Switch, PS4, Xbox One and Xbox Series can all operate fast resume with no issues whatsoever.

Or you know, companies could release products that doesn't have modes/features that could damage the hardware. This is not like a end-user sticking a screwdriver in an electrical socket.

Just like any feature, such as, vibrations, shit will damage a piece of electronic and mechnical hardware wrapped in a plastic box. Theres no safe guarantee ever. Do you think your controller will last as long as someone who does not user all those stupid vibration gimmicks? They're cool features but ultimately just pointless marketing tools. PC's are capable of doing a lot of shit, but ppl just dont do it. This is how life works my dude.

reksveks

Just like any feature, such as, vibrations, shit will damage a piece of electronic and mechnical hardware wrapped in a plastic box. Theres no safe guarantee ever. Do you think your controller will last as long as someone who does not user all those stupid vibration gimmicks? They're cool features but ultimately just pointless marketing tools. PC's are capable of doing a lot of shit, but ppl just dont do it. This is how life works my dude.
I am not arguing that there arent features that would cause reduced life but the onus should be on the produce to make sure that those features doesn't cause issues (that meaningful impacts the lifespan of the device) and if it does, then it shouldn't get included. That's why Samsung tries and probably should try better to make sure that their folding phones survive their general lifespan.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with PS4/PS4 pro rest mode.
Haven't used it even once on PS5 because all the reports of problems, and it's quick enough anyways so only time I would need it is while downloading large games.

Reactions: Isa

Duchess

I've used Rest mode on my PS4 and PS5 without issue whatsoever.

However, I have a habit of restarting things once a week - my laptop, my phone, my PS5. Usually, I turn off my PS5 on a Saturday night and not turn it back on until Sunday evening.

Rebooting your stuff weekly will help to stop gremlins from building up. Software has bugs, which can result in memory and other resources from being lost to the OS, leading to issues once the losses have had a chance to build up.

In short - use the sleep / rest modes on your devices, but just restart them once a week anyway.

Isa

Mine still does as well. I'm scared to use it, as I don't want to factory reset again. I usually only turn off the system but I wanted to see if it was fixed, but alas it still hangs up. Crazy to think that such a basic function not only doesn't work correctly but that it can be so detrimental to the customer.

PaintTinJr

I've had issues with rest mode since the first week - and don't use external storage - and even recently did a full factory reset about a month ago and still have issues - so might need to reset again, but this time using a usbstick to reinstall the firmware from PlayStation, or it is possibly a problem with my old launch PS3 registered PSN account.

My PS5 still kills the bluetooth/usb - so won't work with pad, and still doesn't work with usb connection - if left in rest with a game running for more than a day or so and brought out of rest by power button or hdmi-cec - so the machine still responds through hdmi-cec but won't let me access restart or shutdown , just rest mode via tv off. And because I then have to hold down the power button for 30secs to power off, the PS5 on restart thinks it was a user poeroff error, so never lets me report the real error.

I've now started using rest mode for only charging the pad, so I now exit the game before using it, but even then, the other day CoD had an issue doing a background update it failed to complete in rest-mode .. well I think it did, because that was the error notification in the UI after reboot - when the system came back up after a forced power button shutdown, after the system locked up straight after selecting a profile coming out of rest mode. I then went and checked if CoD had a update to download - seeing as it claimed it didn't complete - but oddly, it was fully up-to-date.

edit:
My PS5 is also connected via UPS - which was bought to protect the TV from my kids turning of the plug for the extension when they were really little.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I believe the issue on PS5 rest mode issues has been known to be not closing games/apps before entering rest mode. Seems to be a PS5 software issue. I use rest mode all the time, but I shut my games/apps down and have had zero issues.

I always close games before I power down. I use rest mode for large downloads only personally and then once downloaded power down again.

assurdum

Banned
Have you tried doing the usual database rebuilds etc?
I tried everything. It doesn't happen regularly but occasionally. Still it's quite annoying issue because it's happened from the last update, I'm quite sure about it.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I've had issues with rest mode since the first week - and don't use external storage - and even recently did a full factory reset about a month ago and still have issues - so might need to reset again, but this time using a usbstick to reinstall the firmware from PlayStation, or it is possibly a problem with my old launch PS3 registered PSN account.

My PS5 still kills the bluetooth/usb - so won't work with pad, and still doesn't work with usb connection - if left in rest with a game running for more than a day or so and brought out of rest by power button or hdmi-cec - so the machine still responds through hdmi-cec but won't let me access restart or shutdown , just rest mode via tv off. And because I then have to hold down the power button for 30secs to power off, the PS5 on restart thinks it was a user poeroff error, so never lets me report the real error.

I've now started using rest mode for only charging the pad, so I now exit the game before using it, but even then, the other day CoD had an issue doing a background update it failed to complete in rest-mode .. well I think it did, because that was the error notification in the UI after reboot - when the system came back up after a forced power button shutdown, after the system locked up straight after selecting a profile coming out of rest mode. I then went and checked if CoD had a update to download - seeing as it claimed it didn't complete - but oddly, it was fully up-to-date.

edit:
My PS5 is also connected via UPS - which was bought to protect the TV from my kids turning of the plug for the extension when they were really little.
Well, that's interesting. Mine too. Maybe is that the problem?

NEbeast

I got a brand new one sent out within 3 weeks: send it back if its faulty. You only have 12 months, unless you bought an extended warranty.

Shmunter

I believe the issue on PS5 rest mode issues has been known to be not closing games/apps before entering rest mode. Seems to be a PS5 software issue. I use rest mode all the time, but I shut my games/apps down and have had zero issues.
I use it exclusively, 100% of the time, have done so since PS4 with games open. Issue free experience, bar maybe 2 or 3 times when o/s crashed upon resume.

No excuses, shit should work for everyone without limitations.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I had a couple of crashes related to rest mode when I first bought my PS5 last Dec. But after a couple of firmwares it's stable as a rock. Use rest mode daily and never had issues. Neither with booting up or quick resume.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I use it exclusively, 100% of the time, have done so since PS4 with games open. Issue free experience, bar maybe 2 or 3 times when o/s crashed upon resume.

No excuses, shit should work for everyone without limitations.
I’ve used it all the time too. I just so happen to always close my games before I enter rest mode. I use rest mode primarily so everything will automatically update. It’s never happened to me, but again I always close my games/apps first. It should work without limitations, I think on the case of the PS5 it’s more a software issue that will be resolved.

Yup, if I rest mode with Outriders open, 60% chance I’ll come back to a “you didn’t shut down properly message”.
Could be my PlayStation trying to protect me from Outriders, but I’m in charge around here, damn it.

Kupfer

my ps5 has started to show issue in rest mode after the last firmware. I noticed it especially after played native ps5 games. Occasionally ps5 reboot automatically and said I have turned off the system unproperly.
The same thing has been happening to me since I started Ratched & Clank a week ago. So far 2 crashes in restmode, but after the message I can continue playing the game where I left off. So completely rebooted the PS5 has apparently not.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
buy a UPS. Your room likely has power surges or fluctuations. The console is losing power which is why you are seeing that message.

Buy a universal power supply that can hold up to 300w and plug in your ps5 to the battery slot so when the power goes out, your ps5 stays in rest mode.
While in rest mode, console have low consumption, so supply from the PSU is woefully inefficient and the changes from 0 > 100mA (example) is far slower than from 1A to 3A (which is like a max power consumption), unless you have 2 PSUs, this is common issue, when you have shitty power from the wall, like for example PCs crashing in bios, while not being OCed and shit like that.

Especially if the frequency isn't correct

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Only problems i had at launch, but after the first patch, it worked fast and flawless.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

So you'd rather wait until you're out of warranty? What's happening isnt normal, and likely will only get worse if you have a hardware issue. Deal with it now while you can.

Paulxo87

One out of every 5-6 times when I put the system into rest mode the screen will turn green and the ps5 just shuts off. You then have to turn it on via power button yada yada. It's been this way since launch I don't even fucking bother using it any more. I don't think Sony even gives a fuck about the issue they pretend it doesn't exist. It does. A simple reddit search will yield many who still have this issue.

Mr Moose

The only issue I have with rest mode is with the shitty 4TB Seagate external I have, if I unplugged it there'd be 0 issues.

Top Bottom