• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Wal-Mart still has copies of THPS3 N64

Matlock

Banned
This is more a "finding old shit" thread than an actual content thread--

Anyway, I was looking for Animal Crossing Wild World at Wal-Mart, and noticed it--I remember it greatly from before they removed the Xbox section a while back (which is now back, after the remodelling, but no Xbox 360 stuff other than a box display with controllers and faceplates)--but Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 N64 was still on the shelf. A little more looking revealed two more. Somehow, they found more and just shoved them into the displays whereever. $3 for this gen! $3!

However, as they didn't have ACWW, I went and bought the Garth Brooks boxset while dodging the greasy hambeasts. :-X

So GAF, and this doesn't apply to speciality stores since their used inventory makes this moot, have you ever found something new for sale that was this old at a retail store?

my TRU had n64 games up until about 6 months ago. i found 10 copies of paper mario selaed for like 5 bucks each. i bought them all and sold them all on ebay for like 60 each

jtkauff

I was at a K-Mart recently and they had a couple of copies of Mercs for the Genesis... still priced at $54.99. Gee, wonder why they aren't moving?

jtkauff said:
I was at a K-Mart recently and they had a couple of copies of Mercs for the Genesis... still priced at $54.99. Gee, wonder why they aren't moving?

:lol And people complain about 59.99 price tags today...

My TRU until recently also had some N64 stuff (like Paper Mario), and they were still selling Giga Wing for DC for 39.99 until recently. I don't venture into Walmart or K-Mart often though, so nothing really old.

DSFan1970

Didn't Toys R US only recently stop selling SNES games. It think when this GamerZone format appearred there were still some for sale. Mostly Dinsey and Nintendo licensed ones.

BarneyBP

Also, you bought it in Target's home state. So of course they're going to have your back.

The rest of us gotta wait till tommorrow :(

I have a KMart that's retailing Bubsy 3D (PS) for $19.99

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
My Wal-Mart had Tribes strategy guides in a cardboard display right by the cash register in 2003. Tribes 1. They finally moved the box to an anonymous shelf, but everybody who bought anything in the electronics department for like 5 years saw those damn Tribes strategy guides, lol.

Andy787

Banned
Matlock said:
However, as they didn't have ACWW, I went and bought the Garth Brooks boxset
See, I was just going to come in here and post the usual "Matlock posts shitty threads" speil, but then you had to hit me with this. Now I just don't know what to do. :(

Matlock said:
This is more a "finding old shit" thread than an actual content thread--

Anyway, I was looking for Animal Crossing Wild World at Wal-Mart, and noticed it--I remember it greatly from before they removed the Xbox section a while back (which is now back, after the remodelling, but no Xbox 360 stuff other than a box display with controllers and faceplates)--but Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 N64 was still on the shelf. A little more looking revealed two more. Somehow, they found more and just shoved them into the displays whereever. $3 for this gen! $3!

However, as they didn't have ACWW, I went and bought the Garth Brooks boxset while dodging the greasy hambeasts. :-X

So GAF, and this doesn't apply to speciality stores since their used inventory makes this moot, have you ever found something new for sale that was this old at a retail store?

Mine too... in fact all three that are close enough too me all have the same damn N64 game. Odd.

I'm in Ohio too if that helps.

Johnas

Huge pile of Vagrant Story games at my local Wal-Mart (TN), still priced $39.99.

Also a PS1 demo hooked up with Tekken 3... :lol

Matlock

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
Mine too... in fact all three that are close enough too me all have the same damn N64 game. Odd.

I'm in Ohio too if that helps.

Yeah, you're up between Canton and Crakron :X

This was down at the New Philadelphia wally world, tho...nice to hear that it's not isolated. :D

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
The Toys R Us near me had SNES games until 2002. I picked up Super Punch Out and TMNT: Turtles in time for 20 bucks. They also had around 30 copies of Shenmue until about a year ago.

stonedwal

Weirdest old item I've seen was a Windows 95 tutorial video presented by the cast of Friends :)

The same Target store had brand new SNES consoles for sale until recently too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Guileless said:
My Wal-Mart had Tribes strategy guides in a cardboard display right by the cash register in 2003. Tribes 1. They finally moved the box to an anonymous shelf, but everybody who bought anything in the electronics department for like 5 years saw those damn Tribes strategy guides, lol.
For some reason, this one had me rolling. :lol

Tribes 1 strategy guides?! Could they have CHOSEN something more random?!?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I see a fair amount of old games at Toys 'R' Us. They even have a very small PSOne rack, and a few N64 titles in various bins. I don't think anyone ever buys them, so they just sort of float around from bin to bin. Eventually, they'll give them away with any purchase of a Bratz doll.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The "Big Bear Plus" in Steubenville, OH (or was it Winters, OH) had a copy of Castlevania 3 (and one other NES game) in their electronics department back in 1997 and 1998 -- still marked at full price.

I always found that rather funny.

AniHawk

There was a TRU around here that had Arc the Lad Collection until last year (haven't been back since then).

I remember seeing a brand new The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past sometime in later 1997 too.

vitaflo

Matlock said:

Yes! I remember around '97 or so walking through Sears and seeing Master System games, new in box still for sale. I thought I hit the gold mine and was ready to buy every last one for super cheap, but they were still labled with the original prices! Yeah, fucking Choplifter, Monopoly, Zillion, etc, for $50! And they wouldn't lower the prices. I almost cried. ;_;

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Last year, when all the KB Toys were closing in my area, this one store had a few Acvtivators and Urban Strike for sale. All in brand new condition and heavily slashed prices.

AniHawk

Oh, there was one specialty store I went to that had NEW, FACTORY SEALED SNES games THIS YEAR in West Covina. I believe they were Eye of the Beholder and other games like that. I remember seeing PoP, SMW, and something else there sealed, too.

Going for $20 each or so.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
A visit to Canada a little over a year ago produced copies of NES Play Action Football and Madden '94 for the SNES sealed at a Zellers.

Not to mention I got a new boxed copy of Falcon 3.0 for the PC for like pennies. CANADIAN PENNIES. :D

bjork

In 1995, I found PC version of Pirates! for $5 at a WM.

In 1999, I found a set of WWF traceplates from 1990 for .99, marked down from $17.99 at a Kay-Bee :lol

In 95, I found a set of WWF Play-doh molds (with play-doh!) for $5 at a pic n save.

Economan

One of the zellars in my town still has super nintendo and genesis sports games; they even have some for the saturn, but who has one of those ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Haven't seen much lately, but I did find a new, boxed version of the Capstone PC classic "Zorro" during the summer.

Seriously, though, I have no idea what the game is like...but I recall seeing it in a CGW mag back in like 1994. It might be older than that...

Mattc007

About two years back, I noticed a local Wal*Mart had two unopened copies of Earthbound for the SNES. Price? $5 a piece. Not bad for two of the greatest games ever.

advancegrant said:
Target has Animal Crossing DS today - I bought mine in Minnesota.
UGH. I live in Minnesota, but no matter where I end up reserving something, they never get it in until the day after it ships. Bastards.

Not only that, but I reserved/paid for it by where I work, because I can then pick it up on lunch. Guess what happens every time a new game is released? We get the day off. I really don't want to drive 30 minutes just to pick up a game that could've been in the store today.

A couple of years ago, Zellers still had Earthworm Jim 2 for SNES on the shelf for $92.99. :lol They had it on the shelf since it came out; I remember seeing it there way back when I bought Mario Kart 64 on release day in 1997. :D
But they finally marked it down to 5 bucks and, mercifully, someone gave it a home.

cvxfreak

Mattc007 said:
About two years back, I noticed a local Wal*Mart had two unopened copies of Earthbound for the SNES. Price? $5 a piece. Not bad for two of the greatest games ever.

Damn what a lucky find.

On my first ever visit to japan earlier this year - whilst in my partners home town of toyo-oka - i found a brand new 95' run Super Famicom console for about $20 US.

I smell it from time to time(!) but lord no, are my greasy hands ever going to touch it's sublime, untarnished surface.

Hermit

Recently, I found Carmageddon 64 on a shelf at an independent retailer nearby. Game was $6, which, I figured, is way too much for this piece of shit game.

D-X

When I bought a Saturn game (which due to it's mediocrity will remain unnamed) a few years ago they had actually lost they key to the box it was in. Took them 20 minutes to find it, took me 2 minutes of gameplay to realise I had made a purchase error

Top Bottom