• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My white neighbor thought I was breaking into my own apartment. (Article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I think I can make sense of what's going on here. The original description for a "I don't think this is a robbery" call were three Hispanics; 1 male and 2 females. Its involves minorities so of course a show of force was in order. Have at least 4 cops to the minority man and the remaining 6 to handle the minority women. If I was a copy and had to face the great 5'7" black beast, the king of the urban crime jungle, who needs as much as 16 bullets to subdue, I would fear for my lives and think for my family back at home as I point that gun. Surely you can all understand.

Drensch

Police respond in number to what could be described as a life threatening situation. Someone entering a residence that has been the reported scene of a burglary will be treated as a burglar until cleared. If units are clear or on lower priority runs, all available officers will go on high priority runs. In my city Burglary in progress, sexual assault, shootings, stabbings, robbery in progress and officer in trouble calls are all priority 1 runs. All available officers, running hot.

I'm ignoring the neighbor situation, and describing this as a generic.

Bystanders, neighbors, citizens etc. are a problem. We get tons of calls on "suspicious people", the callers don't articulate "suspicious" but we can tell it means black or whatever. It wastes a ton of resources and puts people in danger, but we can't just ignore the calls.

aeolist

Banned
Police respond in number to what could be described as a life threatening situation. Someone entering a residence that has been the reported scene of a burglary will be treated as a burglar until cleared. If units are clear or on lower priority runs, all available officers will go on high priority runs. In my city Burglary in progress, sexual assault, shootings, stabbings, robbery in progress and officer in trouble calls are all priority 1 runs. All available officers, running hot.

I'm ignoring the neighbor situation, and describing this as a generic.

Bystanders, neighbors, citizens etc. are a problem. We get tons of calls on "suspicious people", the callers don't articulate "suspicious" but we can tell it means black or whatever. It wastes a ton of resources and puts people in danger, but we can't just ignore the calls.

do you fail to identify as law officers or refuse to provide names and badge numbers?

bchamba

So because somebody is a cop they are automatically racist by association? They deserve to be judged in that way?

We should all automatically assume these things about every single cop?

Why are you trying to make this thread about the poor unfairly discriminated against cops?

So because somebody is a cop they are automatically racist by association? They deserve to be judged in that way?

Won't somebody worry about the poor defenseless police!?

#policelivesmatter

There's always one of you in these thread and it makes me sick.

Living in a very nice and white neighborhood this is my fear every time I come home. I'm so sad this happened to her and I wish there was something I could do so that she could just feel safe in her own home. This just makes me feel powerless. I can't protect myself or anyone else from this horror.

I understand the concern when entering this kind of situation. They were unsure as to what they were getting themselves into, so they came overly prepared and cautious. At the same time, they should have announced themselves and responded to her attempt to identify her and her residency, especially if she was calm. As for the neighbor, that was pretty dickish to not apologize. Screw that guy.

PreFire

Fuck, man.. She's traumatized. What a horrible turn of events and what an asshole of a neighbor. Fucking racist prick tells her he's an attorney and to fuck off? What the hell, and these cops?

Now this poor woman is being haunted by nightmare and fears the police.

Why do racist people exist? Fuck

Richie

Because that's how every thread discussing an incident where police officers overstep their boundaries go. All of them. Every single one.

Maybe because you're guaranteed a new story on this vein every other day? Yeah, not every police officer is a racist piece of shit, hell, some of them are genuine heroes, but it's more than justified to feel bitter and enraged at the overall police system in America.

Ah yes, of course. That explains that time 10 cops came to my door because my neighbor smelled weed.

Are you black? If you are, it's well known that marijuana makes you people impervious to pain as well as giving you enhanced strength and speed. Cops were only being careful in case you saw red and tried to lunge at them from across the room.

That call from the neighbor was fucking unreal. 100% lies. Suitcase? Tapping on the door? A Latino male and two girls? This guy is out of his mind.

Absolutely insane that this occurred... but what's the value of the article emphasizing that the neighbors are specifically white, as opposed to racist/ ignorant/ idiots?

in an almost entirely white apartment complex in a mostly white city —

Ok, facts that set the stage for the environment, no fault in that...

and a white man who lived in another building called the cops because he’d never seen me before

I have nightmares of being beaten by white men as they call me the n-word

While still facts, the antagonists here's problem is that they're racists, not that they're white. The neighbors were morons, and the cops reactions were totally out of proportion, and were straight up assholes to her... but the article sounds like it's written as "Whites vs Blacks" as opposed to "Hyper over reactive racists vs an innocent person". Is it just that "Racists vs Blacks" has become such a cliche issue that describing insane events like this as such don't stand out anymore?

These stories are tragic and depressing on so many levels - such a lack of human decency.

However it does make me happy our local RCMP 'community' officer came to my neighbourhood and urged residents to get know each other and form a block watch. I get that people sometimes hate that stuff, but it's necessary to do something in order to prevent these kinds of things from happening (while we wait for the grinding wheel of institutional reform to turn).

Verelios

Because that's how every thread discussing an incident where police officers overstep their boundaries go. All of them. Every single one.
Yep, absolutely no precedent for that line of thought. Nope, nope, nope.

No one's saying all cops, but the ones who do overstep their boundaries and facilitate these 'mistakes' don't deserve a ride into isolated incident ville. There's precedent.

manhack

Obviously the guy is who reported this is a dick head. Just listening to him on the call you could tell by his tone of voice and the way he said he needed police there...he wasn't in any danger, but made it sound like an emergency.

I wonder how many people in this thread listened to the 911 call and still wonder why the police responded with multiple officers? The guy made it sound like 3 people were breaking in to the apartment.

The response from the police Chief was interesting. I urge everyone to listen to the audio file she posted in the response. It has the full audio from the moment the cops started talking to the woman. She is rightfully confrontational with officers and it actually sounds like they try to explain it to her as best they can. I don't think there is any reasonable response they could give to be honest.

This is definitely a bad situation and could of been a tragedy, but I don't feel like there was any racism here.

Edit: Just to clarify I think the police response wasn't based on race, but the neighbor is a different story.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I'm not even sure why you consider this an issue. The higher ups within corrupt, and clearly pushed forward a racist agenda, and attempt to cover up and pretend to be blameless in all wrong doings. The training and stats don't lie.

It doesn't freaking matter if individual cops are racist. If a company was purposefully selling poisonous food or contaminating the environment, does every single worker need to complicit and aware to lay blame on the company in question? Of course not because it doesn't change the fact the most important parts of the company are causing a significant problem. The American police forces are an organisation and the stats, and thousands of cause show blame should be rightfully levied at it.

Ruprit

People should probably read this (transcripts from the police recordings, on-scene):

LA Times

Provides a little more insight.

Thanks for this.

The neighbor seemed to have the best of intentions but got very defensive and came out like a jerk.

Wells was understandably very shaken by the whole event (as I would probably be). But I think she started making accusations much too quickly.

The police response to the "crime" was immense and extreme and that might be because of whatever description of the situation the neighbor gave when he called 911. However, it seems like the police did attempt to diffuse a very tense occurrence once they learned the truth. There's no forgiving the ignoring of protocols by police officers, but it must be very difficult to try an communicate with a person, like Wells, who already has her mind and story made up.

Demoskinos

What in the fuck? It takes 16 officers to deal with this? Does this department not have anything better to do with its resources? Like god damn.

Opto

Banned
Thanks for this.

The neighbor seemed to have the best of intentions but got very defensive and came out like a jerk.

Wells was understandably very shaken by the whole event (as I would probably be). But I think she started making accusations much too quickly.

The police response to the "crime" was immense and extreme and that might be because of whatever description of the situation the neighbor gave when he called 911. However, it seems like the police did attempt to diffuse a very tense occurrence once they learned the truth. There's no forgiving the ignoring of protocols by police officers, but it must be very difficult to try an communicate with a person, like Wells, who already has her mind and story made up.
They had guns on her and didn't identify themselves. They forced a woman out of her home who did nothing wrong. They didn't diffuse shit.

The 16 officer response was probably because it sounds like a rich neighborhood and they got to look like they're taking care of the rich white people that live there.

Nephtis

I have personally experienced this but in a much different way.

Cops were chasing someone and the asshole entered my property through the fence. I had family visiting while I slept, as I work nights. They asked if they saw someone whose description happened to fit with mine. They weren't exactly friendly, but they were not rude and asked to come in to the house as they thought, hey this is he guy.

My mom asked if she could get me but they told her not to because it could be dangerous. So about 5 cops entered my room, and another 10 or so we're around the house to make sure I couldn't escape. My mom woke me up and said hey, these guys want to talk to you.

I had 5 guns pointed at me, and one of the officers said "we are looking for someone and we want to make sure it's not you". I said I live here and and sat up. They asked if I had an ID and I had my wallet next to my bed and told them to grab it and look for themselves. They did, and confirmed that I wasn't the one they looked for. They asked if they could search the house and I said yes. While they did one of the cops apologized to me for the way they had to wake me up, and started making small chat asking what I do for a living. I said I work in cancer research and told them I understand you are not familiar with it as I actually try to save lives and laughed nervously. They knew I was being facetious and once again apologized, handed me a business card and offered to give me everyone's names. I said that wasn't necessary as, even though I had guns pointed at me, they were calm and professional and I thanked them for that. They said that if I needed anything to call another direct line I was given and they'd make sure they'd take care of me.

And that was that. I live in Tucson, AZ though, and I understand that cops can be assholes, but at least the ones I encountered in a tense situation were not at all.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Outside of the stupid neighbor who was lying?

Yes. The cops responded to a situation that didn't match the description given to them. They were aware even after making visual contact based on what they would have known from the 911 call and they still ignored the woman hoping to find something. Keeping the place safe my ass.

Chaos17

I have personally experienced this but in a much different way.

Cops were chasing someone and the asshole entered my property through the fence. I had family visiting while I slept, as I work nights. They asked if they saw someone whose description happened to fit with mine. They weren't exactly friendly, but they were not rude and asked to come in to the house as they thought, hey this is he guy.

My mom asked if she could get me but they told her not to because it could be dangerous. So about 5 cops entered my room, and another 10 or so we're around the house to make sure I couldn't escape. My mom woke me up and said hey, these guys want to talk to you.

I had 5 guns pointed at me, and one of the officers said "we are looking for someone and we want to make sure it's not you". I said I live here and and sat up. They asked if I had an ID and I had my wallet next to my bed and told them to grab it and look for themselves. They did, and confirmed that I wasn't the one they looked for. They asked if they could search the house and I said yes. While they did one of the cops apologized to me for the way they had to wake me up, and started making small chat asking what I do for a living. I said I work in cancer research and told them I understand you are not familiar with it as I actually try to save lives and laughed nervously. They knew I was being facetious and once again apologized, handed me a business card and offered to give me everyone's names. I said that wasn't necessary as, even though I had guns pointed at me, they were calm and professional and I thanked them for that. They said that if I needed anything to call another direct line I was given and they'd make sure they'd take care of me.

And that was that. I live in Tucson, AZ though, and I understand that cops can be assholes, but at least the ones I encountered in a tense situation were not at all.

606_s.jpg

I can't imagine the fear you must had but I'm glad they threated you well with respect.

calm and profession
That's what I wish from all my heart that those on duties can be like that so innocent live can be spared in case of mistustanding.
I'm really happy they were that way with you.

FStop7

Banned
I wonder if she lived in an afflu--

"Santa Monica"

Oh yeah, that makes sense.

Those are some bored ass bored cops looking for reasons to get their gun on and to use all of the cool shit that the fed buys their departments.

Cops who patrol affluent neighborhoods are the most dangerous of all.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Male officer: I’m gonna challenge you with something. And you can let me know on Tuesday if you want to do it or not. We have something which is called a “Citizens Academy.” I think it’s, like, 12 weeks. … For each one of those weeks, you come and you learn about the police department. The academy explains why we do things, why we do it. You don’t have to give me an answer now. … If you’re interested in it, I’m gonna sign you up for the next one.

Wells: Why would I be interested in that?

Holy shit. This is the weirdest part for me.

Also this...

Male officer:In the future, if something like this happens again, feel free, the police department can open the door for you, without a locksmith. … All you have to do is call 911.”

Is this true? I've had people lock themselves out of their car at my store and call the police, and they'd only unlock it for them if a dog or child was inside.

People should probably read this (transcripts from the police recordings, on-scene):

LA Times

Provides a little more insight.

Wow, I stand corrected. Apparently there was a guy there with a suitcase and tools to let her in... the locksmith. So the neighbor wasn't lying, at least not completely. He was mainly totally oblivious to his current neighbors. The cops talking to her actually sound more reasonable than originally indicated.

The neighbor was obviously mistaken, and there were a crapton of cops, but the racism involved appears to be less than what was presented.

CLEEK

They've already gone into damage control. Straight up lying too.

How is a transcript, or the actual 40+ minute unedited audio, lying?

I can fully understand why Wells was shit scared and frustrated. Dealing with the police in America must be a nerve wracking experience for anyone, regardless of the situation, and especially if you're black. Having a gun pointed at you by the police isn't something a law abiding citizen should ever have to experience. But the audio shows that once the police had initially understood the situation, they handled it well.

If I saw unknown persons using tools to get into my neighbours property, I'd call the police too. I'd hope my neighbours would do the same if they same someone forcing entry into my home. I know/recognise my immediate neighbours either side and opposite my house, but beyond that, wouldn't know the home owners from anyone else. The 9-11 caller was reporting suspicious activity, not a 'suspicious' individual, e.g. a black person.

"I introduced myself to the reporting neighbor and asked if he was aware of the gravity of his actions — the ocean of armed officers, my life in danger. He stuttered about never having seen me, before snippily asking if I knew my next-door neighbor. After confirming that I did and questioning him further, he angrily responded, “I’m an attorney, so you can go f— yourself,” and walked away."

this would've angered me so much. what a dick, propbaly had some agenda against her.

Obviously the guy is who reported this is a dick head. Just listening to him on the call you could tell by his tone of voice and the way he said he needed police there...he wasn't in any danger, but made it sound like an emergency.

I wonder how many people in this thread listened to the 911 call and still wonder why the police responded with multiple officers? The guy made it sound like 3 people were breaking in to the apartment.

The response from the police Chief was interesting. I urge everyone to listen to the audio file she posted in the response. It has the full audio from the moment the cops started talking to the woman. She is rightfully confrontational with officers and it actually sounds like they try to explain it to her as best they can. I don't think there is any reasonable response they could give to be honest.

This is definitely a bad situation and could of been a tragedy, but I don't feel like there was any racism here.

Edit: Just to clarify I think the police response wasn't based on race, but the neighbor is a different story.

Agreed. Cops came out in force, arguably possibly overly cautious, and drew their guns before seeing who was actually in the appt. The neighbor kinda sounds like a jerk though.

Nephtis

606_s.jpg

I can't imagine the fear you must had but I'm glad they threated you well with respect.

That's what I wish from all my heart that those on duties can be like that so innocent live can be spared in case of mistustanding.
I'm really happy they were that way with you.

Yeah when the cops go in even if they are armed, it helps that they're not pumped with adrenaline. If they had, I imagine my experience would have been completely different.

Holy shit. This is the weirdest part for me.

Also this...

Is this true? I've had people lock themselves out of their car at my store and call the police, and they'd only unlock it for them if a dog or child was inside.

I once locked myself out of my car In a very affluent neighborhood in my IT days. at my coworkers suggestion I called the non emergency police line. Eventually three squad cars had to show up and a K-9 unit as none had the kit to open the door lol. They took care of it though and were nice about it.

BadAss2961

16cops all because one black woman is trying to enter her own apartment.... WOW

16!!!!!
m6ejjDs.gif

Seriously though, when you're black you always have to proceed with a little extra caution on things. Even as a kid I was worried about something like this happening when i've had to break into my own shit. Solid Snaking up fire escape ladders and shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom