• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 |OT|: We Put Our Faith in Blast Hardcheese

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Beef McHardchest! Love MST3K, I have a few of the volumes on DVD.

Edit: Joel....what is she doing to Mitchell?!?!?!

Thnikkaman said:
Since this is an OT, this might be a good place to ask something. How do any non-american MST3k fans get DVDs of the show? I haven't looked in a while but ebay auctions go for stupid amounts of money and so do Amazon shipping fees.

I'm in the UK and hurting for legal material, especially now there are Gamera DVDs in the works.

Well, the Digital Archive Project stays in the "gray" area by only allowing downloads of non-commercially available items. That's the best way to stay "legal" (DAP has gotten buy in during interviews from the creatives involved and hasn't gotten any C&D letters for MST) and get MST, in my opinion.

N4Us

Maklershed said:
So what's everyone's favorite episodes?

Mine are Timechasers, Girl in Gold Boots, Squirm, Final Sacrifice, and Boggy Creek II. "The believability of the sightings along Boggy Creek are rated quite high". :lol

Red Zone Cuba, Timechasers, Hobgoblins, Final Sacrifice, Hellcats and Merlin's Shop are probably my tops.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Krankor.jpg

Tobor

Cave Dwellers, Pod People, Mitchell, Eegah, Manos: the hands of fate, Godzilla vs Megalon, Zombie Nightmare.

God, it's hard to narrow down.

Skiptastic said:
Well, the Digital Archive Project stays in the "gray" area by only allowing downloads of non-commercially available items. That's the best way to stay "legal" (DAP has gotten buy in during interviews from the creatives involved and hasn't gotten any C&D letters for MST) and get MST, in my opinion.

The only problem with those is they are heavily compressed and from lower quality sources. Some of the tape traders have sources like D2 broadcast masters.

MST3K is pretty strange as a fandom considering the "official" message board has a section for tape trading. It's funny to think of any other show having some similar. I have to admit I dislike when people upload released stuff on YouTube or sell it in megasets.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Santa Claus vs the Devil, Mitchell, The Brain (Head) that wouldn't Die, Skydivers.... I miss the Thanksgiving Marathon they used to do.

The Final Sacrifice, Laserblast, and Space Mutiny are among my favorites. I guess I have a thing for the more modern cheese.

My friends and I still randomly say "Rowsdower" in that goofy voice and make each other laugh hysterically.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Lionel Mandrake said:
The Final Sacrifice, Laserblast, and Space Mutiny are among my favorites. I guess I have a thing for the more modern cheese.

My friends and I still randomly say "Rowdowser" in that goofy voice and make each other laugh hysterically.

Rowsdower's Canadian mullet would beat the shit out of you and your friend at the same time.

Iceman

Time Chasers, Space Mutiny, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, Jack Frost, Invasion of the Neptune Men and Prince of Space.. but these are only the very tip of a very large iceberg.

Tobor

truly101 said:
Rowsdower's Canadian mullet would beat the shit out of you and your friend at the same time.
Who would win in a battle between Mitchell and Rowsdower?

Mullet vs Schlitz in a fight to the finish!

TheWiicast said:
I was watching one today and the short was "Puerto Rico: Progress Island"

It was fantastic.

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ1lLR4ePnE

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBiQkHQbPCs&feature=related

Yeah it's copypasta from the wikiquote page, but damn it's just full of awesome

Narrator: An American Democracy...
Servo [as Narrator]: Would be really great.

Narrator: Year-round sun makes this island a vacation paradise.
Crow: And very hard to sleep!

[Shots of a school are shown.]
Narrator: Bilingual schools.
Mike [as Narrator]: Bisexual students.

[Over a shot of a Burger King...]
Servo: Ah, indigenous cuisine!

[Over a shot of an airplane landing, in the midst of a soundtrack that consists mostly of blaring horns...]
Mike [as Narrator]: Here, we're flying in another trumpet section.

Narrator: For the visitor, Progress Island offers a tremendous variety of experiences, beginning with the rich and colorful heritage of the Caribbean.
Crow [as Narrator]: ...which we buried in order to build skyscrapers.
Mike [as Narrator]: Look, just come here!

Narrator: Condominiums, leisure villages, and a complete range of outdoor activities make Progress Island an ideal place to live for every member of the family.
Servo: Except Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Grandpa, Grandma...

Narrator: The largest crop is sugar cane, which has been cultivated here for centuries.

[Over the short's closing screen]
Mike [as Narrator]: We would like to apologize to all the people of Puerto Rico that we did not offend.

Coin Return said:
Robot Holocaust is on now, Teenage Crime Wave after that. Leslie Neilson marathon tomorrow:

http://www.justin.tv/mst3k

Come in, stay for a while. :D

Awesome!

Man I remember when I paid 2 bucks a month for a premium slot on a Winamp based channel back in college. Best two bucks ever. Me and my wife (and friends) would just sit for hours watching MST3K. It was magical (this is before youtube or any real video streaming sites). It's how I first saw Mole People and Zombie Nightmare.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
MST3K: The Movie is available for rental on Zune Marketplace in HD. Kinda cool watching the host segments, as well as the film itself, in hi-def.

Machine

One of my favorites is "Attack of the the Eye Creatures" (Yes, the word "the" is repeated on the title card). I keep hoping it will get a commercial release.

"They just didn't care!"

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Cocopjojo said:
MST3K: The Movie is available for rental on Zune Marketplace in HD. Kinda cool watching the host segments, as well as the film itself, in hi-def.
"HD"

Cocopjojo said:
PSN too. I've been tempted to rent it a couple of times. It's got to be somewhat surreal seeing the host segments in HD.

Godzilla vs. Megalon hands down.

"He's got a tree! He's got a tree! That's not the Godzilla we know!"

"Jeh Jagaaah! Jet Jagahhh!!! He carry he lunch in a pail."

"It's my will, my will! Not yours! I have the keys to the kingdom! My me, mine! IM THE GOD! IM THE GODDDDD!!!!"

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
HE JOCK IT MADE OF STEEL

EATS SUSHI FROM A PAIL

JET JAGUAR ? JET JAGUAR !

HE MOTHER NEVER REALLY LOVE HIM

HE CRIMEFIGHTING COVERS UP A BASIC INSECURITY

HE DICKEY COVERS UP AN ADDAMS APPLE THE SIZE OF A TOYOTA

HE BASICALLY GOOD-HEARTED BUT HE'D LIKE TO SMASH THAT KID AGAINST A ROCK

KNOCK ! KNOCK ! KNOCK !

WHO'S THERE ?

HIS HEAD LOOKS LIKE JACK NICHOLSON

DON'T SMILE LIKE THAT, IT WILL STAY THAT WAY

YAHMMMAAHOAAHOAAAUGH !

DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN

DrForester said:

DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN

One example of the many jokes on MST3K that become funny later on for entirely different reasons. I can't think of any of the top of my head (of course), but there are some jokes that are now funny even more for some current reason.

Shiv47

My friends and I were such hardcore fans in the 90s that we used one friend's AV setup to record our own off the cuff MST-style riff fests of shitty movies, like Bruce Le kung fu films, and other schlock. Good times. As for MST, haven't seen anyone mention Sidehackers, Catalina Caper, and Pod People, three of my faves. And Mr B Natural, of course. "Oscar Wilde only wished he were this gay."

Maklershed said:

Top Five: Pod People, Mighty Jack, Werewolf, Gamera vs. Guiron, Laserblast.

So many other greats: Anything from Season 3, Space Mutiny, Horror of Party Beach, Warrior of the Lost World, Catalina Caper, Parts: The Clonus Horror, Devil Fish, Final Sacrifice, Boggy Creek II, The Last Chase (KTMA era, very funny stuff), Robot Holocaust...and there's so much more.

Too many to choose from, but I'm probably one of the few who counts Mighty Jack among his top five. I didn't even mention Godzilla vs. Megalon, which is one of the few that I believe has near perfect riffing with near perfect host segments. Very few movies have great host segments throughout. Pod People, I think, is the one where I can say everything is perfect. Everything just flows naturally.

Season 3 is the best season, though. Great cadence between Japanese Sandy Frank films with either AIP or Film Ventures International pictures for the first 18 or 19 episodes. Ends strong with Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, the Master Ninja movies, two hilarious shorts in front of the Unearthly, and perhaps the worst movie they've ever done...Castle of Fu Manchu. They had just signed a four season, 24 eps per season deal. They had gotten their rhythm down. Everything just was right on point in S3.

In my opinion, the closest they came to that level of just one good episode after another was the second half of Season 8. Starting with Jack Frost and almost going until Time Chasers (I thought ODatMB was a bit meh and not a big fan of Neptune Men), they were really hitting on all cylinders and Bill C. started to find his groove. Very good stuff came of it.

PS. Have we not had a MST3K OT before? I'm pretty sure we had...

-Kees-

Maklershed said:

Mine are Timechasers, Girl in Gold Boots, Squirm, Final Sacrifice, and Boggy Creek II. "The believability of the sightings along Boggy Creek are rated quite high". :lol

I started watching the show when they showed repeats on Saturday mornings, so the Sci-Fi channel stuff is what I know best, and haven't really seen a lot of the early Joel stuff. That being said Pumaman has become my favorite recently. Also, Werewolf, The Final Sacrifice (Zap Rowsder!), Space Mutiny (Thick McLargehuge), and Girl in Gold Boots.

tokkun

Hey guys, when I was home for Thanksgiving my sister was telling me that when she went to some movie there was a preview for a new MST3K movie in theaters. I am assuming that she is wrong and that it is either

(A) Another Cinematic Titanic theatercast
(B) Maybe a re-release of the original MST3K movie? Seems unlikely.

She was convinced that it was a new MST3K movie though. Anyone want to clarify?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
tokkun said:
Hey guys, when I was home for Thanksgiving my sister was telling me that when she went to some movie there was a preview for a new MST3K movie in theaters. I am assuming that she is wrong and that it is either

(A) Another Cinematic Titanic theatercast
(B) Maybe a re-release of the original MST3K movie? Seems unlikely.

She was convinced that it was a new MST3K movie though. Anyone want to clarify?

Probably an ad for Rifftrax's live show last month.

tokkun

How is RiffTrax?

I have seen a bunch of Cinematic Titanic videos and live shows, but the only RiffTrax I have seen is their Star Trek V audio track a long time ago.

tokkun said:
How is RiffTrax?

I have seen a bunch of Cinematic Titanic videos and live shows, but the only RiffTrax I have seen is their Star Trek V audio track a long time ago.

Rifftrax Shorts are amazing (and only .99 or 1.99). For a good sample check out the beer one. A lot of the older movies (Voodoo Man especially) are great and same with the newer ones. D-Wars and the Twilight movies were hilarious. I'm actually hyped for the next Twilight Riff coming out this Friday.

The Beer one.
http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/as-we-like-it

Skiptastic said:
In my opinion, hit or miss, but it's MST3K with new movies and Mike Nelson is always fucking funny. Definitely check out the first Rifftrax, Road House. So great.

I would suggest one view the movies and the shorts as two separate things. The shorts are 90% great. The movies can really vary on ones taste and can be hit or miss (plus the pain of setting them up factored in lol).

Battlefield Earth was hilarious though.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I would suggest one view the movies and the shorts as two separate things. The shorts are 90% great. The movies can really vary on ones taste and can be hit or miss (plus the pain of setting them up factored in lol).

Well, I would also caveat my opinion on the fact that I haven't gotten into the Rifftrax Shorts and was only heavily into Rifftrax movies in the first year or so of launch. Haven't been around for the Twilights or Lord of the Rings or any of that, though my brother showed me the Harry Potter ones.

Skiptastic said:
Well, I would also caveat my opinion on the fact that I haven't gotten into the Rifftrax Shorts and was only heavily into Rifftrax movies in the first year or so of launch. Haven't been around for the Twilights or Lord of the Rings or any of that, though my brother showed me the Harry Potter ones.

Definitely give the shorts a try!

Blader

Battlefield Earth was hilarious though.

The Batman & Robin riff was amazing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I've liked pretty much all the Rifftrax. A few have fallen a bit flat, but I've never regretted purchasing any of them.

If you want to get started, check out Star Wars or Harry Potter. They usually have some bundle sales going if you buy multiples.

Here are some samples of my favorites

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Batman and Robin (first line in this sample is just amazing)
Jurassic Park (with special guest Weird Al)
Star Trek (2009)
Twilight (yes, it's totally worth watching with the Rifftrax)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Oh anyone here ever track down an uncut copy of an MST3K movie? I've done it for a couple...including Red Zone Cuba!

Once. This Island Earth, and it's actually decent. And most shocking thing of all was they cut the funniest scene in the whole film.

After the car chase, Cal and what's-her-name are sitting soaked in a river, and this farmer runs up to them and he get zapped by the spaceship laser.

Top Bottom