• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000's new season finally has a trailer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owensboro

I just still don't understand why this had to be recast, even if only for the voice of the bots. It's not like this is an action series where the stunts are too demanding now that they are older. You can't be too old to deliver comedy ffs.

I honestly kind of think it's for the best. MST3K was always at it's best when it was current pop-culture nonsense, and I feel like having new blood front and center is going to keep the show more fresh. At least, that's my hope. It's really hilarious to go back and watch old Joel episodes and realize that almost no one born after 1990 will ever understand half the references. I mean, who the hell is going to understand Gymkata references (I wish to god they'd do Gymkata. That movie is freaking amazing.)

I also really appreciate whoever on Youtube is making those annotated versions of the movies that explain almost every reference. It's almost like nerd Pop-Up-Video and endlessly entertaining.

That was awful. Everything was so wrong. I don't like new things.

If you're trying to escape, look in the box marked "Hamdingers".

I honestly kind of think it's for the best. MST3K was always at it's best when it was current pop-culture nonsense, and I feel like having new blood front and center is going to keep the show more fresh. At least, that's my hope. It's really hilarious to go back and watch old Joel episodes and realize that almost no one born after 1990 will ever understand half the references. I mean, who the hell is going to understand Gymkata references (I wish to god they'd do Gymkata. That movie is freaking amazing.)

I also really appreciate whoever on Youtube is making those annotated versions of the movies that explain almost every reference. It's almost like nerd Pop-Up-Video and endlessly entertaining.

If you're trying to escape, look in the box marked "Hamdingers".

Let's be honest: How many people even in the '80s would understand a Gymkata reference?

To address the discussion about accessible Joel episodes, I'd recommend Secret Agent Super Dragon or Mitchell.

Or just skip it all and do the Sci-Fi seasons. I love all of MST3K, but I'd put many/most of those episodes up against any other comedy show as best of the genre.

The nobodies making MST3k in the midwest thing was a big part of its charm for me. Obviously the correct move would be to have the show produced by Red Letter Media.

On the bright side I don't really know anything about Jonah and the dudes doing the bots but... Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt... no thanks.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Someone should tweet him to let him know he's part of the mainstream nerd establishment.

Meanwhile...

lAnMXER.jpg

Hopefully the uber-hardcore fans give this a chance, the original show had slight formula tweaks and cast changes, so this shouldn't be THAT crazy of a change for anyone that has watched the original run in it's various permutations.

It's finally almost here. Great trailer, I dig the premise of how Jonah gets kidnapped. Cant wait to dig into the new episodes, hope they watch at least one really bizarre '80s flick.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Yeah, having a younger cast front-and-center is much better if you're going to do modern pop-culture references. Otherwise it becomes obvious that the riffer is reading a riff they didn't write and don't quite get.

I mean, it's pretty easy to pick out the lines in RiffTrax that Conor wrote, compared to the former MST-ers.

Only person I might be a little iffy based on the trailer is Day. But I've never been terribly hot on the Mads to begin with as a thing. And despite his Nerdist associations I really like Jonah Ray.

Also the head writer is Elliot 'I don't want to cure cancer I want to turn humans into Dinosaurs!' Kalan. How could this go wrong?

Also the head writer is Elliot 'I don't want to cure cancer I want to turn humans into Dinosaurs!' Kalan. How could this go wrong?

The only complaint I can see is from the fans that will want the exact same show frozen in time from when it ended... and I don't think that exact show is possible again even if the original cast and crew came back.

Having talked with Jonah and a bit of the cast, I really do feel Joel assembled a group of people that truly love the original run and will be able to stay true to the spirit of the show.

Phased

Been getting my dose of bad movie sarcasm from Rifftrax the last few years, so it will be interesting to see how the new series holds up. Really looking forward to it.

I just still don't understand why this had to be recast, even if only for the voice of the bots. It's not like this is an action series where the stunts are too demanding now that they are older. You can't be too old to deliver comedy ffs.

This is a new starting point for the show, and to help bring the show back they needed some star power most likely. One can argue that the support for the show and it getting on Netflix in part are due to them having all this new cast. They also want this to keep going, so starting with a new fresh cast is helpful.

Notice the trailer is the two biggest stars they got for the show? Even though they are going to be in the show for a small portion compared to everyone else. Marketing

Rifftrax is too successful for Mike, Kevin, or Bill to ever leave to do MST3K full time again. So then you'd be going back to Joel, Trace and Josh/Frank? That would have been possible, but it's not what Joel wanted to do. So once you're recasting the host human and Tom Servo, you might as well do a fresh start with everyone.

Also, this'll blow your mind: all of the people who ended the show on Sci Fi were replacements. Not a single one of them were on the first episode of the Comedy Central era (let alone the KTMA era). So it's not like people who have loved the show forever weren't used to recasting.
The nobodies making MST3k in the midwest thing was a big part of its charm for me. Obviously the correct move would be to have the show produced by Red Letter Media.

On the bright side I don't really know anything about Jonah and the dudes doing the bots but... Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt... no thanks.
This is my only real concern, as a Midwesterner myself. But I'm absolutely willing to give the new cast and writers a chance. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have dropped $100 on my first (and hopefully only) Kickstarter to see it happen!

From this trailer, I'm very encouraged by it looking like a spot on spiritual successor.

opoth

Banned
I think the idea was to build this as a sustainable comeback, like Rifftrax and the way to do that is a younger cast and writing team. A straight revival that also included Joel, Trace and Frank front and center would be nice comfort food but I'm not sure if it would have legs in the long term.

I like that the host has always informed the tone of the actual riffing in the theater - Joel was the observational stoner, Mike more the Joe Sixpack alpha male with a more aggressive approach. I see Jonah as being more of an absurdist geek based on his work with Joel during the MST3K Reunion last year.

One last note, it is funny how Mike or Rifftrax fans tends to be the most rigid or skeptical about the revival, you hear things like, "No Mike. no sale", or "why do I need this, I have Rifftrax?" - despite Joel not having a presence in front of the camera either.

I think your favorite MST3K host may serve as some type of rorschach test about your personality and how willing you are to accept change.

mclem

The fact that MST3k and Rifftrax Live Samurai Cop are happening within 48 hours of each other has me hyped like nothing else.

Since I can't go to Rifftrax Live (but I've pledged! I'll just have to hold out for the VODs), for I'm getting similar hype from MST3k and Taskmaster Series 4 within two weeks of one another. I guess it's not quite the same!

One thing I hadn't quite noticed at first - since she makes a very brief appearance - but that isn't Mary-Jo Pehl in the screaming scene in the trailer. I think it's Rebecca Hanson dressed very similarly to how Pearl dressed. Now I'm wondering if that's story reasons, if that's in some way a younger Pearl or another descendant from Pearl's line...

Enk

makes good threads.
Trailer looked fun! If I was able to get through the later seasons' host segments just fine then I'm sure I'll get through the host segments here if they end up bad. It all comes down to the riffs and whether or not they can pull it off.

Jonah and the new Crow sound fine. I think the only thing I'm waiting to see is the new Servo. Kevin Murphy was my favorite riffer on MST3K and even though he was a replacement voice, he was the glue that held everything together when the hosts, Mads, and Crow's voice were changing around him. It will be weird to hear him gone.

Also like that they're giving the Mads their own, unique aesthetic. I'm taking a guess that with their logo, the henchmen are going to be call the "Boneheads". Cute design.

I like that the host has always informed the tone of the actual riffing in the theater - Joel was the observational stoner, Mike more the Joe Sixpack alpha male with a more aggressive approach. I see Jonah as being more of an absurdist geek based on his work with Joel during the MST3K Reunion last year.
Holy shit lol. I need to tweet that to Mike.

-Gozer-

opoth

Banned
Holy shit lol. I need to tweet that to Mike.

So you disagree that the show took on a more aggressive approach to riffing with him at the helm? I'm not saying that he wasn't funny, but compared to Joel's observational style, they definitely started to fight back against the movies more, for lack of a better description.

I'm not pro or anti anyone, I started watching at the end of season 5 and the first episode I ever saw was Mitchell. Pretty good way to jump in and be objective. I will continue to support and hope for the best for both projects!

Blader

So you disagree that the show took on a more aggressive approach to riffing with him at the helm? I'm not saying that he wasn't funny, but compared to Joel's observational style, they definitely started to fight back against the movies more, for lack of a better description.

I'm not pro or anti anyone, I started watching at the end of season 5 and the first episode I ever saw was Mitchell. Pretty good way to jump in and be objective. I will continue to support and hope for the best for both projects!

I think he's disputing your characterization of Mike as a "Joe Sixpack alpha male".

Wiseblood

No, that was Mike's brother, Eddie.

8LRqTk6.png

opoth

Banned
I think he's disputing your characterization of Mike as a "Joe Sixpack alpha male".

In contrast to Joel, yes. I could see sharing a beer with Mike as opposed to smoking a joint with Joel if you want to break it down like that.

Mike has been an outspoken conservative in interviews and I think the segment of the shows conservative fan base is very much pro Mike and seem to be the least adaptable when it comes to the idea of a revival. I love Mike, but thats just my observation.

Maybe alpha male was a strong term to use, but the show in general took a more direct and aggressive approach to its targets under his tenure.

The whole original point being, the host has always been Ingredient X to me. I think Jonah is going to bring a higher energy and absurdity to the proceedings, a style that we have never really seen before on this show in the theater segments, for better or worse.

In contrast to Joel, yes. I could see sharing a beer with Mike as opposed to smoking a joint with Joel if you want to break it down like that.

Mike has been an outspoken conservative in interviews and I think the segment of the shows conservative fan base is very much pro Mike and seem to be the least adaptable when it comes to the idea of a revival. I love Mike, but thats just my observation.

Maybe alpha male was a strong term to use, but the show in general took a more direct and aggressive approach to its targets under his tenure.

The whole original point being, the host has always been Ingredient X to me. I think Jonah is going to bring a higher energy and absurdity to the proceedings, a style that we have never really seen before on this show in the theater segments, for better or worse.

This is hilarious. Yes, Mike identifies as Republican. But he doesn't wear it on his sleeve. His later seasons weren't more aggressive with the jokes. They were just more sarcastic and used less corny references to shit like McCloud and Gymkata and all that. And that wasn't all Mike's doing. There was an entire writing staff behind that.

Mike wasn't an alpha male. Far from it. He was more the dopey older brother to the bots, while Joel was the father figure.

The idea that politics enters into which host someone prefers is ludicrous. If they went out of their ways to make it known where they stood politically, you might have a point. But they don't. They never have. I'm liberal as a mother fucker and, while I love Joel and respect what he did, Mike is hands down my favorite host. I don't give a shit about his politics, because he didn't make it an issue.

Not everything is left and right; Democrat and Republican. Sometimes people have preferences based on who made them laugh harder or who they felt had the better personality or who they feel had the best episodes. It's really that simple. To interject politics into it is your own thing.

Blader

lol, I am by no means a Republican and greatly prefer Mike's style of riffing to Joel's. I think Skip hit the nail on the head why on the last page:

I think it is easier to enjoy the entire series if you start with Joel episodes and then watch Mike episodes than the other way around.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people who started with Mike episodes say that they just can't get into the Joel episodes. That he's too slow or his voice is weird or etc. It seems SO much easier to watch Joel era first and then get to the Mike era and love it, because Mike was always a part of it, so it's a natural transition. It seems much harder for people who watch Mike era episodes, especially if they started in Sci Fi, to go back to the Joel episodes, which is half of the damn series! I would rather someone be able to love the entire series than jump so far ahead and struggle with older episodes. (though, by that logic, people should start with The Crawling Eye, because they were really in their infancy back then!)

opoth

Banned
This is hilarious. Yes, Mike identifies as Republican. But he doesn't wear it on his sleeve. His later seasons weren't more aggressive with the jokes. They were just more sarcastic and used less corny references to shit like McCloud and Gymkata and all that. And that wasn't all Mike's doing. There was an entire writing staff behind that.

Mike wasn't an alpha male. Far from it. He was more the dopey older brother to the bots, while Joel was the father figure.

The idea that politics enters into which host someone prefers is ludicrous. If they went out of their ways to make it known where they stood politically, you might have a point. But they don't. They never have. I'm liberal as a mother fucker and, while I love Joel and respect what he did, Mike is hands down my favorite host. I don't give a shit about his politics, because he didn't make it an issue.

Not everything is left and right; Democrat and Republican. Sometimes people have preferences based on who made them laugh harder or who they felt had the better personality or who they feel had the best episodes. It's really that simple. To interject politics into it is your own thing.

If he was not a proud Republican, he would keep his politics private. By choosing to publicize his politics, I personally consider them to be fair game for discussion.

I'm not making this about politics at all, I really hope MST3K 3.0 stays apolitical...or about as political as the original series - which may still be too much for certain people to handle today, unfortunately. I think Mike is awesome, despite his politics. If someone tries to tell me there are no funny Republicans, I proudly bring him out as Exhibit A.

lol, I am by no means a Republican and greatly prefer Mike's style of riffing to Joel's. I think Skip hit the nail on the head why on the last page:

It's all mood to me. Sometimes I'm in the mood to see a movie get beat up, sometimes I like to see some invention exchanges and have the movie involved casually teased.

Something I wish they would do more often is do a re-riff of the other host's movie, like when Rifftrax tackled Manos. Having mostly the same team involved with the original riff go back to the well for things like Time Chasers or when Cinematic Titanic did Santa Claus Conquers the Martians isn't as fun. I wish the stretch goal for this year's Kickstarter was a riff of Mitchell, not Final Justice, for example.

If he was not a proud Republican, he would keep his politics private. By choosing to publicize his politics, I personally consider them to be fair game for discussion.

I'm not making this about politics at all, I really hope MST3K 3.0 stays apolitical...or about as political as the original series - which may still be too much for certain people to handle today, unfortunately. I think Mike is awesome, despite his politics. If someone tries to tell me there are no funny Republicans, I proudly bring him out as Exhibit A.

It's all mood to me. Sometimes I'm in the mood to see a movie get beat up, sometimes I like to see some invention exchanges and have the movie involved casually teased.

Something I wish they would do more often is do a re-riff of the other host's movie, like when Rifftrax tackled Manos. Having mostly the same team involved with the original riff go back to the well for things like Time Chasers or when Cinematic Titanic did Santa Claus Conquers the Martians isn't as fun. I wish the stretch goal for this year's Kickstarter was a riff of Mitchell, not Final Justice, for example.

Can you give an example of where Mike proudly proclaims his politics where he wasn't asked about it first and where he isn't obviously joking and we have the context in which he's discussing it? Because him being interviewed and asked about his politics isn't him "publicizing his politics."

I'm honestly asking because I'm unfamiliar with any instances. Not doubting you at all.

Even if it's prevalent, I personally feel like as long as it doesn't come into his riffing, he's good in my book.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but has Mike ever talked about his politics outside of that single interview where he went really in-depth? Like, I've read that interview, but I've yet to see him talk about politics or religion since. Like not just in interviews, but on Twitter/FB as well.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but has Mike ever talked about his politics outside of that single interview where he went really in-depth? Like, I've read that interview, but I've yet to see him talk about politics or religion since. Like not just in interviews, but on Twitter/FB as well.

If anything, Bill is the one who most proudly proclaims his politics in public out of anyone in the Rifftrax crew. His Twitter is almost completely political.

Fortunately, his politics align with mine, so I don't care.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Mike is like, the least "out" Republican there is. He and his wife, Bridgette, are conservative and Christian but unless you go find the single interview where they mention that they go to church or consider the Republicans the "more serious" party (really, that's how he phrased it a near-decade ago in that interview) you'd never be able to tell.

It's never made it into their work in an appreciable way and they've never pushed an agenda.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Actually, now that I think about it, there was that one time that Google had a Cesar Chavez doodle on Easter Sunday and Mike briefly got pissed and tried to call for a boycott of Google or something before quickly backing down and (I think?) deleting his posts about it.

This seems to have been Joel's desire: a new MST3K with new people for a new age, rather than just a retro revival. It doesn't seem like most of the old cast knew it was even a thing that was happening until we did.
Hyrule Warrior said:
Weren't they part of the kickstarter though? Sorry if I'm misremembering, but I recall one of the pitches for the kickstarter being that all the original crew was involved in some way...but when it was announced it would be a new cast, just seemed like their names were being used to get people on board.
Joel basically made the open offer for anyone who had been a part of the show in the past to come back in some sort of guest capacity, which some of them ended up taking him up on. And there has sometimes been MST3K/RiffTrax cross-pollination, like RiffTrax ads during the MST3K Thanksgiving marathon.

opoth

Banned

This is what I mean, it's mentioned prominently in his Wikipedia article and the interview that you mention - I have never implied that he pushed it in his work. So it feels like I'm being asked to prove something that you're already aware of. I appreciate his tastefulness about it, but it's definitely no secret either

Pod People was my very first Joel episode and I loved it immediately, the jokes and skits are hilarious and the movie is so perfectly surreal. Badly dubbed European/Spanish 1980s E.T. rip off/bad slasher movie trying to be a family movie at the same time with ambient space age music? It's an incredible episode, never get tired of it. Cave Dwellers I can definitely see being a bit dry and not good for first timers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom