• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mythbusted: Leaving steak out at room temperature before cooking

greyshark

I don’t let my steaks out that long before grilling, but I’ve always thought that steaks closer to room temp was better for the health of your grill grates.

brap

Banned
RIP
oYxaeYp.jpg

epicnemesis

This was busted years ago.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Lol..
the best is leaving it in a proper fridge for 24 hours with one side salted. It comes out soooooooooo tender and the better the cut, the better it is, of course!

vpance

Out of the fridge for less than 30mins (or even direct from fridge) and I can get a nice pan seared crust with rare center.

highrider

Banned
I prefer the pan method as a former working chef that’s how I learned, but reverse sear is really good. Sous vide is nice but I prefer it for chicken and pork, bacon in particular.

That said I rarely eat steak. Feel weighed down by it. Mostly around the holidays. I grew up eating cheap food, military, jail, it’s like my body has problems with quality cuts of meat 😂

*Nightwing

That video irritates me so much.... the purpose if pulling a steak out 20 to 30 min to let it begin to get to room temp is to not end up overcooking it if you are pan cooking or grilling it. Adding sous vide to the cooking process negates the need for it at all and of course there is no difference when you overkill meat like that. Maybee try a good faith comparison using pan cooking only? Maybee? Fuck me people are dumb as shit most of the time and then make it worse by trying to put videos on YouTube acting like they arn't

That video irritates me so much.... the purpose if pulling a steak out 20 to 30 min to let it begin to get to room temp is to not end up overcooking it if you are pan cooking or grilling it. Adding sous vide to the cooking process negates the need for it at all and of course there is no difference when you overkill meat like that. Maybee try a good faith comparison using pan cooking only? Maybee? Fuck me people are dumb as shit most of the time and then make it worse by trying to put videos on YouTube acting like they arn't
This.
Been preparing steaks for many many years now, and my experience says it's really important to warm up the meat a bit before putting it into a frying pan when you just took it from your fridge.

Also, wtf using powdered garlic.

edbrat

This was also debunked by Serious Eats, important thing is to make sure the surface of your steaks is dry as that will take much more heat than a fridge cold interior and will screw up the nice crust you might be looking for on your steak. This is why leaving it uncovered in your fridge for a few hours at least works well, either on a grill or clean tea towel on a plate, your fridge is a v dry environment and will dry the surface of the steak and firm up the texture by drawing out the moisture. I'll happily "fridge age" a large steak for 24 hours.

Super Mario

Banned
There's too many myths that surround steak. One of my personal favorite is that it is best served reddish, just to maintain your snobbery that you eat it differently than most people. Eating a chewy booger is not what I pay big money for. It depends on the cut for how I like it cooked, but being pink in the middle is the best of all worlds. Char, flavor, juicy. That is just science.

V2Tommy

Not sure if that referes to me or not, but I don't really like that at all.

Didn’t refer to you.

Tasty, cooked, hot, salty meat is delicious. People are too picky - almost neurotic - about the slight changes in preparation.

Well, it definitely doesn't work with pork chops.
Had 2 pieces, took one from the fridge and the other had one hour of getting to room temp.

The fridge one is burned on the outside, and not cooked through in the middle. Also, the meat feels a lot more "hard" when biting on it.
The one that had time outside of the fridge before frying is perfect.

Okay, that's pork chops, but all my experience with every kind of meat that I have been cooking for 20 years (and I cook every day) tells me that frying meat that was in the fridge with no warm up is wrong.

llien

TL;DR, BS myth busting

As for bacteria, ff you can wait for hours, and meat is packed, just do not unpack it, and the process is much faster if you put it into room temp water.

If I need to do it quickly, I use, god forbid, microwave oven, because in the universe I live, "it won't cook any differently, if meat is cold" is not true.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The meat doesn’t really cook any differently and leaving it out for two hours exposes it to risk of bacterial infection.

Which doesn't matter, because you cook it. Taking it out early is important for one thing only: So it isn't only halfway done in the middle and crisp on the outside. Obviously the thicker the piece of meat, the more important that is.

Top Bottom