• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insane scientific breakthrough on room temperature Superconductivity [nope]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
It seems the rollercoaster is still going, it's not 100% debunked it seems.

What a weird time we live in.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

was surprised to see all in podcast talk about this very thing. time stamped to 1:05:18 really nice layman's explanation and implication.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The original tweeter came back to say it was real again, then no it was nothing again. So I'm deleting this comment to avoid any more confusion.

The original tweeter came back to say it was real again, then no it was nothing again. So I'm deleting this comment to avoid any more confusion.
whoa-deja-vu-matrix-glitch.gif

sharp weiner

Neo Member
On a theoretical level, I understand there is no more IR drop (current x resistance) So no power wasted to heat.

But the train part is a tougher one for me. Are they talking mag fields of infinite strength?

On a theoretical level, I understand there is no more IR drop (current x resistance) So no power wasted to heat.

But the train part is a tougher one for me. Are they talking mag fields of infinite strength?

There are a couple of different designs but generally the trains are pushed and pulled by powered coils attached to the guideway and the wagons. Superconductive cables and coils would be more efficient and would probably eliminate the need for wheels in long-distance rails. Some existing systems do not generate and maintain enough power to keep the wagons in the air when they slow down so they still deploy wheels.
Some designs need cooling to extreme temperatures. Building a Shanghai style maglev currently costs more than a billion dollars per kilometer of rail and two thirds of its operational costs are power costs. The Korean material doesn't need cooling and is very cheap to make.

sharp weiner

Neo Member
There are a couple of different designs but generally the trains are pushed and pulled by powered coils attached to the guideway and the wagons. Superconductive cables and coils would be more efficient and would probably eliminate the need for wheels in long-distance rails. Some existing systems do not generate and maintain enough power to keep the wagons in the air when they slow down so they still deploy wheels.
Some designs need cooling to extreme temperatures. Building a Shanghai style maglev currently costs more than a billion dollars per kilometer of rail and two thirds of its operational costs are power costs. The Korean material doesn't need cooling and is very cheap to make.
I don’t know the answer to this but what is the magnitude of conductance difference between the best conductors and what has been claimed.

SJRB

Gold Member
Judging from posts I see on Twitter/X it's still not a definitive NO on this whole thing.

Especially now that a bunch of teams are trying to replicate the paper's thesis it seems there's still a chance this is actually the real deal. Pretty difficult to separate facts from hopium/copium.

Doesn't help that now all of a sudden everyone is a superconductor / diamagnet expert.

Dr.D00p

Hard to understand why any team would make a claim of this nature when it's going to be so easy to disprove it and the resultant reputational damage that will ensue.

Melon Husk

Aliens and UFOs thread: 145 pages, 3 years, no conclusive evidence of anything. Status: ongoing.

Room temp superconductor thread: 2 pages, 4 days, deemed fake before any replication attempt has taken place, everyone's a superconductor expert. Already forgotten news by many.

Guys, maybe wait a week or two?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Hard to understand why any team would make a claim of this nature when it's going to be so easy to disprove it and the resultant reputational damage that will ensue.
thats the bit i find hard to swallow, why put it out to the world if you weren't 150% certain you where right?

FeralEcho

I invented time travel this weekend. Cheap and easy.

GO to sleep when you awake, you have traveled forward in time.
Sometimes i go back in time when sleeping and come back just as i wake up to go to work.Very efficient.Also sometimes I don't hear the alarm and I'm just stuck in the past and get late at work cuz the car isnt struck by lightning at the right time and all I say is fuck off doc I need to get to work in my time.Sometimes he gets motivated other times he slaps me,which also takes me back to the future.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Where are all the GAF superconductor experts at who said it was not real and impossible?

Yeah I think everyone needs to wait for widespread results and confirmation.

Posts like that end up looking real embarrassing otherwise.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yeah I think everyone needs to wait for widespread results and confirmation.

Posts like that end up looking real embarrassing otherwise.
if the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab can reproduce the results within I'm guessing a supercomputer model, its certainly looking a bit more promising

Nobody_Important

if the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab can reproduce the results within I'm guessing a supercomputer model, its certainly looking a bit more promising
I don't doubt it. But taking once source as absolute truth and proof is never a good idea regardless of reputation.

I feel like this is something everyone should know by now to be honest.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I don't doubt it. But taking once source as absolute truth and proof is never a good idea regardless of reputation.

I feel like this is something everyone should know by now to be honest.
i get ya, i ain't getting my hopes up until this is all over the mainstream media and firmly established as fact but man the human race can do with a win ffs, with the Russians the new Nazi's and being cunts, China being China, the economy fucked all over the planet and the are they/arent they "real" UFO shite going around, we could do with some actual breakthrough that may be able to help the planet

Nobody_Important

i get ya, i ain't getting my hopes up until this is all over the mainstream media and firmly established as fact but man the human race can do with a win ffs, with the Russians the new Nazi's and being cunts, China being China, the economy fucked all over the planet and the are they/arent they "real" UFO shite going around, we could do with some actual breakthrough that may be able to help the planet
Hey I am all for some good news at this point given the fuck up that is reality at this point. That being said you should not ever let hope and optimism get in the way of common sense and critical thinking. That is literally what scams, falsehoods, and the assholes that push them rely on.

Science says this should be EXTREMELY hard to achieve and replicate reliably so I think everyone needs to hold the champagne and the cocky BS until a consensus is made.

Last edited:

midnightAI

I can't believe you lot don't believe it works, I just did the experiment myself, I got a room temperature superconductor working ... It's easy, first lower the temperature of your room to -100 degrees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom