• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insane scientific breakthrough on room temperature Superconductivity [nope]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The Pack Dog GIF by Amazon Prime Video

still hope

does this mean we could have quantum computers at home??? don't they need to run at super cold temps?

devices are at or almost at 3nm. my CPU and phone is 5nm. so it won't be long before we're at 2-1nm. Where do we go after that??

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
does this mean we could have quantum computers at home??? don't they need to run at super cold temps?

devices are at or almost at 3nm. my CPU and phone is 5nm. so it won't be long before we're at 2-1nm. Where do we go after that??
unless you want to model proteins or obscure mathematical models, home based Quantum computers would be a waste, its more..

Michael J Fox Hoverboard GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Buggy Loop

I want to believe because at the current rate, unless fucking UFO drops down to save our ass, my kids and grandkids will live in hell on earth..
Something has to give. Salvatore Pais from the US NAVY has published enough mind boggling patents for room temperature semiconductors, Craft using an inertial mass reduction device, High frequency gravitational wave generator, Plasma Compression Fusion Device...

It seems like the military are just keeping the mind blowing tech for themselves rather than you know... save the planet.

Last edited:

E-Cat

"1 nm" doesn't actually mean that the individual features will be at 1 nanometers, the naming convention has long since been decoupled from the actual physical dimensions.

Anyway, N1 = A10, which is to say "10 angstrom" will be achieved around 2028:

As the Imec roadmap suggests, at the 'N2' node in 2024 there will be a transition to Gate-All-Around (GAA) nanosheets from current FinFETs transistors.

Samsung is in production with horizontal nanosheets now, and Intel and TSMC have announced HNS production targets of 2024 ('20A') and 2025 ('2nm'), respectively.

After two generations of nanosheets, Imec has a transition to forksheets. Forksheets are a variant of nanosheets that reduce the track height of the cell (not sure how much traction this proposal is getting with the device manufacturers).

Finally, after two generations of forksheets, Imec has CFETs taking over in 2032. There is a lot of work being done on CFETs at Intel and TSMC. The last generation of CFETs in the roadmap introduces atomically thin sheets. We will end up with "2A" around 2036.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
"1 nm" doesn't actually mean that the individual features will be at 1 nanometers, the naming convention has long since been decoupled from the actual physical dimensions.

Anyway, N1 = A10, which is to say "10 angstrom" will be achieved around 2028:

As the Imec roadmap suggests, at the 'N2' node in 2024 there will be a transition to Gate-All-Around (GAA) nanosheets from current FinFETs transistors.

Samsung is in production with horizontal nanosheets now, and Intel and TSMC have announced HNS production targets of 2024 ('20A') and 2025 ('2nm'), respectively.

After two generations of nanosheets, Imec has a transition to forksheets. Forksheets are a variant of nanosheets that reduce the track height of the cell (not sure how much traction this proposal is getting with the device manufacturers).

Finally, after two generations of forksheets, Imec has CFETs taking over in 2032. There is a lot of work being done on CFETs at Intel and TSMC. The last generation of CFETs in the roadmap introduces atomically thin sheets. We will end up with "2A" around 2036.

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm Canadian so.. Probably the best place to exist for the upcoming 200 years if we raise the world temp by 4°C

18339525.jpg

While mainland USA becomes a Mad Max desert, you'll have Alaska at least... or just plain invade Canada :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Global warming will be an absolute boon to us in Ireland, better weather, rising sea levels mean i'll end up with a sea front property and being and island we can sink all you fuckers trying to make it here on boat to escape the cursed earth the equator/southern hemisphere will turn into

Liljagare

Interesting reads on it:

"A recent report of room temperature superconductivity at ambient pressure in Cu-substituted
apatite (‘LK99’) has invigorated interest in the understanding of what materials and mechanisms
can allow for high-temperature superconductivity. Here I perform density functional theory calcu-
lations on Cu-substituted lead phosphate apatite, identifying correlated isolated flat bands at the
Fermi level, a common signature of high transition temperatures in already established families of
superconductors. I elucidate the origins of these isolated bands as arising from a structural distor-
tion induced by the Cu ions and a chiral charge density wave from the Pb lone pairs. These results
suggest that a minimal two-band model can encompass much of the low-energy physics in this sys-
tem. Finally, I discuss the implications of my results on possible superconductivity in Cu-doped
apatite."

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
weareback-wereback.gif

Why is this thread only 2 pages? What the fuck

It's hard to understand what this really means if you don't understand superconductors.

I remember seeing the frozen magnet zoom around a track and super or semiconductor attached to that demonstration.

That's a out as far as my knowledge goes.

gothmog

Gold Member
Science takes time. I do hope this one turns out as true as it's about time we get a big scientific breakthrough.

bender

What time is it?
So used the same side of the magnet booth times --> win.

I don't believe for a second you can grow room temp. superconductor materials at home in your kitchen and it working lol

Not really familiar with Andrew Cote but when your first couple of Tweets are propaganda about SpaceX and SpinLaunch, I'm going to give you a side-eye.

LQX

Question. I'm still trying to grasp what all this means, but in this money driven society why would they reveal this to the world rather than sell it? Is this something you can patent?

sono

Why is this thread only 2 pages? What the fuck
Literally within a day or so, some reputable folk at Max Plank institute said that errors had been made making the claim invalid so there are doubts if it is valid, has yet to be independently verified.

Google translation of German to English

"

Wed Jul 26 2023​

• [l] Letter to the Editor on the Superconductor Preprint Paper :
    I work in the field and we discussed the preprint a bit in the research group this morning. In short, we don't believe a word of it:

• Figures 1(a) and (c) are implausible. Usually something like this looks like this . Note the gradual increase at low currents, this effect is to be expected especially with magnetic fields.

• Fig. 1(d) cannot be correct either. At Tc ~ 400K the Meissner effect would displace a much stronger field than 10 Oe = 1 mT. This means that the distinction between FC (field cooled) and ZFC (zero-field cooled) shouldn't be that pronounced. It should look more like this .
    What the authors might mean is that they are outside the Meissner range, which can occur at higher magnetic fields (keyword: Type II superconductors). It looks like this .
    In this case, however, the temperature dependency does not agree at all with the critical currents of Figs. 1(a) and (c).
    Also, that ALL the values in Fig. 1(d) are negative is extremely unusual, but that could perhaps be argued with.

• The data set in Fig. 4(b) is also a treat. It is VERY unusual when the heat capacity decreases again at high temperatures. This can happen at low temperatures, but not at high temperatures.

• I am very familiar with the described experimental setup / the cryostat. There is no reasonable reason why the authors did not measure at higher temperatures to show that the behavior is markedly different above Tc ~ 400K. For example, a temperature dependency of the resistance would have been absolutely necessary.

• In general, the paper is very poorly written. The data is under-discussed, the explanations are sparse, and the work cited is, shall we say, sparse. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in what the authors measured and claim to have seen.
      My personal assumption is that the authors measured an insulator, so no current flowed and therefore no voltage occurred (4-point measurement). Then it looks like a superconductor. But if you then turn up the current (i.e. the applied voltage), breakdowns may occur and a current begins to flow. That would explain the sharp increase.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Question. I'm still trying to grasp what all this means, but in this money driven society why would they reveal this to the world rather than sell it? Is this something you can patent?

Yes, they patented it worldwide before going to publication. Some people are using the patent to do the replication as there is more info to make it in there.
What this means is that they will get very rich on top of winning the nobel prize if this is true.

Korea just set up a couple of team to aid in the replication. I guess we will see soon enough.

Reactions: LQX

Buggy Loop

Fun scenarios to think about if it's real

I think it would be way more valuable than that for his 3rd scenario. That’s a speed run to type 1 civilization and beyond. The energy production scales with a country’s PIB so the repercussions of a revolution in energy at that scale would be the most important discovery since fire. With revolution in microchips and energy, you’re speed running to type 2 civilization in like a couple hundred years..

Scenario 3 means we win the climate crisis. Batteries that have huge capacities, virtually lossless, charge almost instantly. Incredibly efficient power grids with almost no losses and can ramp up the power transmission beyond anything we have today. 98~99% efficient car electric engines. All the house electronic devices would also be so efficient eventually that you’ll consume a few watts rather than kilowatts. Capturing carbon is a known technology nowadays, but energy to capture it was always the interrogation point, that interrogation completely disappears with this tech.

Interesting thing is that the patent they published refers to Salvatore Pais’s NAVY patents which are nearly word for word UFO reverse engineering..(or Pais will be known as the smartest person alive when he gets recognition someday)

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This thread has been such a rollercoaster over the last week. My brain is too smooth to sort it all out.

Raonak

Banned
It's looking like there might be something to this...

So the theory goes that LK99 material is made to have a bunch of quantum wells in it's crystal structure. Electrons like sitting in these wells. But the wells are close enough to each other that it allows electrons to jump through the wells by using quantum tunneling. So the electrons don't actually flow through the material, but quantum jumps through it.

Kinda insane but kinda makes a lot of sense too. I never knew you could actually do superconducting this way. This might not be a magic material, but rather a completely new way of looking at superconductivity.

Even if this material isn't actually practical, it'll open up a completely new field of research.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

It's looking like there might be something to this...

So the theory goes that LK99 material is made to have a bunch of quantum wells in it's crystal structure. Electrons like sitting in these wells. But the wells are close enough to each other that it allows electrons to jump through the wells by using quantum tunneling. So the electrons don't actually flow through the material, but quantum jumps through it.
Explanation for gamers:

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yes, they patented it worldwide before going to publication. Some people are using the patent to do the replication as there is more info to make it in there.
What this means is that they will get very rich on top of winning the nobel prize if this is true.

Korea just set up a couple of team to aid in the replication. I guess we will see soon enough.

I'm not sure you can patent a chemical reaction or a product of said reaction tho. I'm retarded, I forgot we live in a capitalist hellhole, where people can patent genes.

Crazy theory: We've got tech covered for a long time because we've had access to alien technology for awhile. You can't just go from combustion engines to levitating technology without introducing tech slowly in between or the masses will get suspicious. Imagine if the US revealed we had alien tech and weaponry, we'd be painting a target on our backs from every country.

Not sure I even believe what I'm saying, but it's fun, lol.

Crazy theory: We've got tech covered for a long time because we've had access to alien technology for awhile. You can't just go from combustion engines to levitating technology without introducing tech slowly in between or the masses will get suspicious. Imagine if the US revealed we had alien tech and weaponry, we'd be painting a target on our backs from every country.

I've seen this theory pop up recently. The timing is indeed a little suspect...

SJRB

Gold Member

These two events were 66 years apart.

66 years.

y7v3xufnae871.jpg

Ballthyrm

Childhood's End, great book

We're getting a LOT of confirmation data today. This is looking more and more real. Just so you guys understand what we're talking about here:

If you're looking for your civilization to speedrun Kardashev Type I, this is your ticket to ride. We're talking planet-spanning (including over oceans) maglev train networks. We're talking space elevators. We're talking conveniently sized city-scale fusion nuclear reactors.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
We're getting a LOT of confirmation data today. This is looking more and more real. Just so you guys understand what we're talking about here:

If you're looking for your civilization to speedrun Kardashev Type I, this is your ticket to ride. We're talking planet-spanning (including over oceans) maglev train networks. We're talking space elevators. We're talking conveniently sized city-scale fusion nuclear reactors.

What will this mean for TikTok and Instagram though?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Claimed superconductor LK-99 is an online sensation — but replication efforts fall short​

A Korean team’s claim to have discovered a superconductor that works at room temperature and ambient pressure has become a viral sensation — and prompted a slew of replication efforts by scientists and amateurs alike. But initial efforts to experimentally and theoretically reproduce the buzzworthy result have come up short, and researchers remain deeply sceptical.

The research team, led by Sukbae Lee and Ji-Hoon Kim at the start-up firm Quantum Energy Research Centre in Seoul said in preprints published on 25 July1,2 that a compound of copper, lead, phosphorus and oxygen, dubbed LK-99, is a superconductor at ambient pressure and temperatures above 127 °C (400 Kelvin). The team claims that samples show two key signs of superconductivity: zero electrical resistance and the Meissner effect, in which the material expels magnetic fields, leading samples to levitate above a magnet. Previous efforts have achieved superconductivity only in certain materials under incredibly low temperatures or extremely high pressures. No material has ever been confirmed to be a superconductor under ambient conditions.

LK-99’s purported superconductivity drew immediate scrutiny from scientists. “My first impression was ‘no.’” says Inna Vishik, a condensed matter experimentalist at the University of California, Davis. “These ‘Unidentified Superconducting Objects’, as they’re sometimes called, reliably show up on the arXiv. There’s a new one every year or so.” Advances in superconductivity are often touted for their potential practical impact on technologies such as computer chips and maglev trains, but Vishik points out that such excitement might be misplaced. Historically, progress in superconductivity has had tremendous benefits for basic science, but little in the way of everyday applications. There’s no guarantee a material that is a room-temperature superconductor would be of practical use, Vishik says.

The first attempts to replicate LK-99, reported in the past days, have not improved the material’s prospects. None of the studies provide direct evidence for any superconductivity in the material. (The Korean team did not respond to Nature’s request for comment.)

Two separate experimental efforts by teams at the National Physical Laboratory of India in New Delhi3 and Beihang University in Beijing4, reported synthesizing LK-99, but did not observe signs of superconductivity. A third experiment by researchers at Southeast University in Nanjing5 found no Meissner effect, but measured near zero resistance in LK-99 at -163 °C (110 K) — which is far below room temperature, but high for superconductors.

Theorists have also entered the fray. Several theoretical studies6,7,8,9 used a computational technique called density functional theory (DFT) to calculate LK-99’s electronic structure. The DFT calculations suggest LK-99 might have interesting electronic features that, in other materials, have been associated with behavior such as ferromagnetism and superconductivity. But none of the studies found evidence that LK-99 is a superconductor at ambient conditions.

Early efforts​

Replicators first attempted to synthesize LK-99, following the process described by the Korean team, which involved mixing powdered components and two stages of heating up to 925 °C. (The high temperatures and use of lead have prompted concerns about amateur replication attempts, which researchers say are dangerous.)

To confirm that material’s structure and identity, replicators used X-ray diffraction, an atomic imaging technique. The Beihang team concluded that their sample’s structure was “highly consistent” with that of LK-99.

A co-author on the National Physical Laboratory team, physicist Veerpal Singh Awana, acknowledged small differences between their sample and that of the Korean team. “Our LK-99 is very similar to that as the reported superconducting LK-99,” he says.

But Robert Palgrave, a chemist at University College London, says that both teams’ materials differ from the original. Both X-ray diffraction patterns are significantly different from the Korean team’s patterns and from each other, says Palgrave. (Members of the Beihang team did not respond to Nature’s request for comment.)

The Southeastern University team’s experiment produced X-ray diffraction data that is more consistent with the Korean team’s sample, according to Palgrave. But several researchers have questioned their claim of achieving zero resistance at -163 °C. Evan Zalys-Geller, a condensed matter physicist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, says that the resistance measurement wasn’t sensitive enough to distinguish between a zero resistance superconductor or a low-resistance metal like copper. (Members of the Southeastern University team did not respond to a request for comment.)

Theory troubles​

Uncertainty about the structure of LK-99 limits the conclusions that researchers can draw from theoretical studies, which assume a given structure for the material to make calculations.

On 31 July, a theoretical analysis posted on Twitter prompted excitement among online enthusiasts. Sinéad Griffin, who studies quantum materials at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, shared her theory paper, accompanied by a gif of former US president Barack Obama performing a ‘mic drop’. The optimism was prompted by Griffin’s use of DFT to find that LK-99 has ‘flat bands’, a feature that indicates electrons in the material are strongly correlated with each other. “Flat band systems tend to show interesting physics,” Vishik says. “So when a material is predicted to have a flat band, people get kind of excited.”
Griffin later rebuffed the optimism, tweeting: “My paper did *not* prove nor give evidence of superconductivity.”

Other theory papers also suggested the presence of flat bands, but all of them suffer from the same assumption about the structure, says Leslie Schoop, a solid state chemist at Princeton University in New Jersey. “In a nutshell, I don’t believe any of the DFT before I know the correct crystal structure,” she says.

Griffin agrees that knowing the structure is essential. But she says that the structure found by the Korean team is similar to that of other lead phosphate minerals. “So it’s not too bizarre to think it possible.”
Even if future experiments confirm flat bands, the feature does not mean the material would display room-temperature superconductivity, Schoop says. The association between flat bands and superconductivity comes from other materials, such as ‘twisted’ layers of graphene — slightly offset sheets of atomically thin carbon — which displayed superconductivity at -271 °C (1.7 K) and featured flat bands. But this does not provide evidence for superconductivity above 127 °C (400 K) in the lead-based LK-99, Schoop says.

Viral videos​

The limited success of the replication attempts has not quelled speculation online. Unverified videos of samples, supposedly levitating because of superconductivity, have circulated as viral evidence, despite the fact that many materials — including graphene, frogs and pliers — can exhibit similar magnetic behaviour.

Previous room-temperature superconductivity claims, including one made in March by the controversial physicist Ranga Dias, have made headlines. But the viral attention associated with LK-99 has surpassed many of its predecessors.

Frustrated by the atmosphere of hype, some scientists have taken to mimicking the levitation videos with everyday materials suspended by string and other props. “I opened Twitter up one day and noticed a bunch of sketchy videos with little floating pebbles,” says Eric Aspling, a physicist at Binghamton University in New York. In response, he uploaded a video featuring a “sample of LK-99 shaped as a fork” suspended by tape. “I thought, ‘How can anybody be convinced by this?’,” he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom