• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insane scientific breakthrough on room temperature Superconductivity [nope]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

This will be incredible if true, a proper new dawn in science and physics with incredible potential to change everything..

Obviously it'll turn out to be a load of aul bollocks like all of these "change the world" breakthroughs, but here's hoping the science is repeated by other teams to confirm it

Last edited:

badblue

200.gif

Mind blowing if true. But I need see it in action.

Dr_Salt

It probably uses super rare and exotic materials and in a way that could never be monetized
Supposedly its really cheap to make and you can do it in your garage if you have the tools. People are probaly trying to replicate it right now so we will soon know if its bs or not. I don't have high hopes for it being true tbh.

Room temperature/pressure superconductors would be a technological breakthrough along the lines of the transistor. I remain skeptical, but holy shit if it's true.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Another welcome feature is that their procedure for preparing LK-99 seems quite straightforward. You can bet that furnaces in solid-state materials labs around the world have been cooking yesterday and today to try to reproduce its synthesis and the properties, and we should be hearing about the results of these experiments very soon. The first samples should be coming out of the quartz vessels. . .sometime tomorrow, perhaps? Depends on what was available around the lab! Now, as the world knows, all such claims to date have fallen apart on closer inspection - indeed, the superconductivity research group at Rochester that I wrote about earlier this month is now about to have another paper retracted on suspicions of data fabrication. But those reports were on materials that take very specialized equipment to make and evaluate - this new report looks like it’s either going to fall apart very quickly or be quickly vindicated (as were the 1987 superconductor discoveries). I absolutely cannot wait to find out.

^ We should know whether it's legitimate within a day or two as labs attempt to reproduce the result.

I don't have time right now to read the paper in full (link here ) but here's a physics PhD tech founder giving a brief analysis:

Guys, even if everything in this paper is true, the material as it is might have limited applications.
From what they show, the critical field and critical current seem very low. 2500 Oe is like 0.25 Tesla. Even REBCO at 77K is >1T. And 2500 Oe is not even at critical temperature but much lower. From skimming through the article I couldn't find the sample size of the current measurement to get the critical current density, not just current which is meaningless (and around 300 mA).

This means you can't actually push big current through this thing (yet). You can't make a powerful magnet, and you can't make viable power lines, both applications that were the hallmark of "room temperature superconductor revolution".

Of course, maybe one or a few more tweak(s) of the material and boom, it will give high J_c and B_c. I really hope it does, it would be super cool!

^ So, assuming it's legit, it won't transform the world overnight by any means, but could still be a big deal for the future of technology since the material seems easy to synthesize and the processes could certainly be iterated upon.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sounds unlikely. Would be fucking amazing if true, but also would be patented and trademarked so hard before being shopped to the highest bidder that a research paper wouldn't be the first you heard about it.

Ballthyrm

So for the rest of us that don't have twitter what was the rest of the email chain on what it can do/change?

It has been the white whale of applied physics for a while now. It can theoratically improve everything that use electricity, so more or less everything.

Basically it will drastically improve computing by making computer 100 time faster, batteries last 100 longers , make any electric motors vastly more efficient.
And because AI cost right now is related to computing cost and computing power, you can imagine the side effects.
It will allow to reduce the cost of Nuclear Fusion and a lot of other things in every industry.

Because it basically change the way we will use energy, Energy use and wealth are tighly correlated, by improving by a lot the way we use energy you will generate immense amount of wealth.

cover2.jpg

This discovery if "true" is very much the small domino in that meme.

Last edited:
I'll wait for more coverage and for it to be actually true. If true though this will absolutely revolutionize technology and start a new era of supercomputers and super machines and whatnot.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I want to believe, but I've also been waiting on solid-state batteries, fusion reactors, carbon nanotubes, etc, and none of that shit has happened yet.

Largest battery maker in the world committed to solid state production by the end of the year, and buckypaper (a material made of carbon nanotubes) production process are being refined to the point we’re manufacturing rolls about a feet wide and yards long. Fusion is another story altogether, ITER is going to finish construction soonish, but who knows if it will achieve it’s stated goal.

sono

UAP congress hearings and room temp superconductors in the same week.

What a time to be alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom