• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate (artwork, images, features)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTTTbMJh0cA

Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
Developer: Mercury Steam
Platform: Nintendo 3DS™
Release Date: Fall 2012
Genre: Action Adventure
Number of players: 1
ESRB: RP (Anticipated T for Teen)

Game Description:

Initially set 25 years after the events of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Mirror of Fate will reveal the story of Gabriel’s descendants, as they battle their own destiny in each era only to discover their true, shocking fate.

Trevor Belmont, a knight of the Brotherhood of Light sets out to avenge the death of his mother, at the hands of his own father, who has now returned from years of exile to take up residence in a mysterious castle. What was once Gabriel Belmont now stands a powerful vampire called Dracula. Dracula has declared war upon the Brotherhood and thus the scene is set for a cataclysmic showdown between Father and Son!

Key Features:

Discover the history of your bloodline - Play as multiple characters throughout history, as you battle your ancestor Dracula, each time learning more about your history and why the Belmont clan must atone for the sins of their forebear. Dare you tempt fate?

• Choose your character – Multiple characters to enjoy, each with unique abilities and skills across different eras. Take control of the legendary Trevor and Simon Belmont and more, as you battle Dracula and his evil minions.
• Share new abilities through your lineage - Pass onto your descendants your newfound abilities in each era and discover the true destiny of the Belmont's. Featuring a huge array of combo’s and a deep strategic combat system, this Castlevania is an exciting action game with tons of depth.
• Battle massive bosses – Experience titan fights in full 3D, climb, traverse and overcome huge bosses. Use your secondary weapons and magical abilities to take down these awesome foes.
• Features unrivaled Nintendo 3DS Visuals – Experience super high resolution and detailed 3D polygon graphics with side scrolling areas and full 3D sections combined.
Utilize Focus & Magic – Use magic to turn the tide of battle! Kill enemies to gain experience and buy new combos and abilities using your travel book. Play well and you will be rewarded.

iB0ioHgeAFZ8x.png

iJvUy8pj7v6O1.jpg

jQmiNWdW3snUk.png

joAEUWJFvqKEF.png

jnT2mKzwioYFx.png

jbsbPSaWO30xRB.png

jP491nef0AP82.png

jWD2yBSrvUT8l.png

joSTV1r3qSMgr.png

jCPWBvjm8F52N.png

juVSlQEuc8u9N.png

jecXEcVvWRKwb.png

jQmiNWdW3snUk.png

This is probably the only 3DS game Nintendo showed at their conference that I'm legitimately excited for. I've been waiting for more portable Castlevania ever since I picked up my 3DS. I love how they're fleshing out the lore of the "new" Castlevania universe with this game.

I wish "Lords of Shadow" wasn't in the title but that's a minor nitpick.

Barakov

Looks pretty good. Are we going to see some actual gameplay at E3?

In before, Trevor is Alucard.

finally something I give a shit about.

man... the logos for this and LOS2 are so awesome.

Battle massive bosses – Experience titan fights in full 3D, climb, traverse and overcome huge bosses.

hahaha

Durante

The gameplay in the trailer looks really bad IMHO. It's only a short segment but it put a damper on my excitement.

Dascu

Looks great, hoping we get some hands-on videos from the show floor soon.

I wonder why they just didn't make this for Vita.

Because all of the previous portable games in the franchise have been on Nintendo handhelds, barring one remake/port? They're just going where they believe it'll sell the best.

Maiar_m

This is nearly enough to make me stay up 'till 3am GMT on Thursday to see the 3DS conf. Emphasis on nearly.

I hope it's as strong as the best GBA/DS castlevanias. Give me a Circle of the Moon-like for ambiance, and that's already a good thing.

branny

I still don't know what to think of this. The last thing I wanted Lords of Shadow to infect was the last bastion of a unique genre that's been on life support for years.

RagnarokX

Belmont = Dracula
Trevor = Alucard

This may be the dumbest reboot ever :/

I like that the game isn't played at a 45 degree angle view like in those screenshots.

Foffy

Banned
• Battle massive bosses – Experience titan fights in full 3D, climb, traverse and overcome huge bosses. Use your secondary weapons and magical abilities to take down these awesome foes.

FUCK

Beth Cyra

After the Presser, I was even thinking of giving MS my money for this given how angry I was at Nintendo, sadly then I read about the Titans, combine that with the terrible idea of Alucar=Trevor I guess I will indeed pass.

Suairyu

Banned
Not a fan of that artstyle (in motion it looks like a DS game to me, in look rather than technical prowess), but I so want this game.

... can there be a 3DS redesign yet?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not a fan of that artstyle (in motion it looks like a DS game to me, in look rather than technical prowess), but I so want this game.

Eeeh, this isn't exactly my cup of tea, but it blows away DS capability to produce 3D gameplay. Of course, I'd rather have a nice 2D Vania..

Derrick01

Banned
My 2nd most wanted 3DS game for when I finally pick one up this year. It looks really good on the screenshots, hopefully they'll show more at tomorrow's 3DS show.

I can't completely agree for the platform of choice but the game sounds really intriguing..
Los 2 is for home console, right?

Suairyu

Banned
Why is the notion of Belmon being Dracula dumb? Because it's different?

Following that premise, why doesn't it make sense for one of his descendants to be Alucard?

Eeeh, this isn't exactly my cup of tea, but it blows away DS capability to produce 3D gameplay.
Of course it does. What I said was that the artstyle had the look, the aesthetic, of a DS game. It has the a look of early 3D platformers. I can't put my finger on it but that's my reaction.

I was kind of hoping for more traditional Castlevania, or traditional with a metroidvania map. Ah, I'll still end up getting it...after some impressions.

No DS game looks like that. Not even Square games which usually pushed the 3D of DS to the limit.

Beth Cyra

Why is the notion of Belmon being Dracula dumb? Because it's different?

Following that premise, why doesn't it make sense for one of his descendants to be Alucard?

Of course it does. What I said was that the artstyle had the look, the aesthetic, of a DS game. It has the a look of early 3D platformers. I can't put my finger on it but that's my reaction.

Part of the problem is that it isn't that different. This is one of the most boring things ever done when it comes to even fan works involving Dracula/Castlevania.

As far as Alucard, it's because he isn't Alucard really but just Trevor Belmont with white hair and maybe a sword. As itw as these character were unique and their own, combining them is dumb and it would be much different to use something that is original then just reusing the name/looks of characters in from a different universe when they aren't even needed.

Suairyu

Banned
No DS game looks like that. Not even Square games which usually pushed the 3D of DS to the limit.
Why do people not understand what I meant? I've made two posts now. I'm not sure I can explain it any better. I didn't say it in relation to its technical prowess.

Part of the problem is that it isn't that different. This is one of the most boring things ever done when it comes to even fan works involving Dracula/Castlevania.
On paper, sure, but then these things tend to. But thematically it worked really well, I thought. You spend the game hunting down the founders of your order who turned evil because they wanted to be good. Then the same thing happens to you.

Beth Cyra

Why do people not understand what I meant? I've made two posts now. I'm not sure I can explain it any better. I didn't say it in relation to its technical prowess.

On paper, sure, but then these things tend to. But thematically it worked really well, I thought. You spend the game hunting down the founders of your order who turned evil because they wanted to be good. Then the same thing happens to you.

I can't say I agree, but that's fine. I'm not really all that bothered by Gaberiel, he was there new character and it was the way they wanted to take him. It's more an issue with turning Trevor into Alucard that bothers me.

Suairyu

Banned
It's more an issue with turning Trevor into Alucard that bothers me.
Well, "son of Dracula" (dracula-a? Son of the son of the dragon?). I think if you accept the premise of a Belmont being dracula, his descendant being Alucard naturally follows

zroid

Banned
this looks good. not sold yet, but definitely looking good so far.

Even if Wii U is a bit lackulustre at launch, 3DS is killing it at least.

Beth Cyra

Well, "son of Dracula" (dracula-a? Son of the son of the dragon?). I think if you accept the premise of a Belmont being dracula, his descendant being Alucard naturally follows

He doesn't need to be Alucard (In Name/Character) the character though.

Him being Trevor should be enough, and if they do go that way then I have no problem with it. If he is born after and is already the son of Dracula then he should continue just being Trevor Belmont.

Top Bottom