• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate (artwork, images, features)

jbueno

Color me interested. I really didn´t care much for the Lord of Shadow titles for consoles, but this looks like it might be good. Like what the PSP Dracula X Chronicles should have been.

CamHostage

The gameplay in the trailer looks really bad IMHO. It's only a short segment but it put a damper on my excitement.

Huh, just because it's so combat-intensive, or something else? Looks cool to me. It's not traditional Castlevania, but it's a fair reinvention and looks like it aims to combine both styles.

What I said was that the artstyle had the look, the aesthetic, of a DS game. It has the a look of early 3D platformers. I can't put my finger on it but that's my reaction.

You mean, like the Spider-Man DS or Assassin's Creed DS games? I suppose it does have that simplification that 2.5D sometimes suffers from, but keep in mind that this is meant to be seen on a tiny screen. Sometimes animation and details are done a certain way to maximize the screen, more exaggerated and pronounced. (But also, let's not kid ourselves, they're not spending nearly as much money and time developing this compared to the console versions.)

So the game is 2.5d like Dracula X chronicles right? I would love to have a new portable Castlevania, still have all of my DS copies.

Kind of, but more combat-heavy rather than platforming from what we have seen in the trailer. Imagine God of War (or LoS, of course) on a flat plane with that same kind of combo/juggle/block/dodge system. Dracula X was straight 2D but since it was remade with polygons, they moved the camera around for fun sometimes.

I wonder why they just didn't make this for Vita.

Jokes aside, the rumor is that LoS2 might be coming to Vita. I wouldn't be against Vita and 3DS sharing a few more games though, it could have gone either way with MercurySteam doing a console port-down or a 3DS port-up to Vita and had something worth buying for the right price ... if there's a Vita version at all.

Beth Cyra

Do we even know he is?

No, that is why I will check in on things later and not completely write the whole game off based on a rumor.

That said the Titan thing is terrible to me, I didn't finish LoS for many reasons but I still remember the Ice Titan being the thing made it so I knew I never would because I heard there were more of those type of battles.

soultron

Banned
I didn't play LOS. Was it good? Do you trust that MercurySteam can do a good handheld Castlevania?

I'm honestly open to the idea. Still, my only hope is that Kojima would've been doing the art. I'm way too attached to her art when it comes to 2D Castlevania games.

I didn't play LOS. Was it good? Do you trust that MercurySteam can do a good handheld Castlevania?

I'm honestly open to the idea. Still, my only hope is that Kojima would've been doing the art. I'm way too attached to her art when it comes to 2D Castlevania games.

I thought it was an okay game but not a good Castlevania game. I don't know if they can do a decent handheld game but the majority of the gameplay is 2D so I'll be happy.

As for the art, I'm indifferent really. 2D gameplay is the most important aspect of a Castlevania game. Although if I had my way I'd go for the Conan look for Simon like in the earlier Castlevania games rather than a feminine, anime look. Simon's a bad ass and should look the part.

zlatko

Banned

LoS was amazing. My favorite action/adventure game of all time by a long mile.

The more you get into it, the more moments it offers to entertain and take your breath away.

#2 Could very well be my GOTY when it hits. PLAY LOS 1!

Dracula using the whip in LOS2 trailer got me the most excited though im more excited to play this game.
not worried about the style because DXC was actually my favorite Castlevania.

rozay

Banned
damn

99agc.jpg

Esura

Banned
I thought it was an okay game but not a good Castlevania game. I don't know if they can do a decent handheld game but the majority of the gameplay is 2D so I'll be happy.

As for the art, I'm indifferent really. 2D gameplay is the most important aspect of a Castlevania game. Although if I had my way I'd go for the Conan look for Simon like in the earlier Castlevania games rather than a feminine, anime look. Simon's a bad ass and should look the part.

LoS Simon definitely looks like a badass barbarian imo.

goldenpp72

my biggest complaint is the whip seems to go across the whole screen or something, maybe I didn't see it right.

He doesn't need to be Alucard (In Name/Character) the character though.

Him being Trevor should be enough, and if they do go that way then I have no problem with it. If he is born after and is already the son of Dracula then he should continue just being Trevor Belmont.

Isn't it established in LoS that Gabriel has no children during the time of the game, or am I making shit up?

As someone else said, I can accept Gabriel being Dracula, so I'm okay with Trevor being Alucard. I thought in the lore, his real name wasn't Alucard any way, so it fits pretty easily with the changes.

I'd imagine by the end of this game, he becomes a vampire.

Esura

Banned
Isn't it established in LoS that Gabriel has no children during the time of the game, or am I making shit up?

As someone else said, I can accept Gabriel being Dracula, so I'm okay with Trevor being Alucard. I thought in the lore, his real name wasn't Alucard any way, so it fits pretty easily with the changes.

I'd imagine by the end of this game, he becomes a vampire.

It is assumed so in the first game because his girl is dead and he mentions no child. This trailer for Mirror of Fate implies (edit: well actually states) that Marie and others knew of his eventual downfall somehow and hid his child away for safety before the first game. So Gabriel never knew he had a child.

If LoS 2 comes to WiiU, then it makes sense. If not, pretty goofy not to bring it to Vita also. Unless they think it doesn't really matter story-wise.

It is assumed so in the first game because his girl is dead and he mentions no child. This trailer for Mirror of Fate implies (edit: well actually states) that Marie and others knew of his eventual downfall somehow and hid his child away for safety before the first game. So Gabriel never knew he had a child.

Weird. Guess they didn't have a clue where they were going to go next if they are already altering the story.

Esura

Banned
If LoS 2 comes to WiiU, then it makes sense. If not, pretty goofy not to bring it to Vita also. Unless they think it doesn't really matter story-wise.

That would be weird, considering everything I've seen so far seems kind of...I dunno...important. This looks like it will be the Chain of Memories for the Lord of Shadows series.

I think they might have looked at the Mirror of Fate I assume...since it has "Fate" in it's name.

Margalis

Banned
my biggest complaint is the whip seems to go across the whole screen or something, maybe I didn't see it right.

Yeah...it kind of looked like you flail around and everything on the screen gets hit.

The 2D Castlevanias could use a change but I really hope this isn't Castlevania by Lord of the Rings the way the console games are now. I need a Castlevania game, not a game where you fight generic troll dudes.

Esura

Banned
Yeah...it kind of looked like you flail around and everything on the screen gets hit.

The 2D Castlevanias could use a change but I really hope this isn't Castlevania by Lord of the Rings the way the console games are now. I need a Castlevania game, not a game where you fight generic troll dudes.

I swear I fought trolls and other weird enemies in later Metroidvanias. Aside from the mandragoras, I swear I fought all these enemies in other Castlevania games before.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So what Iga is doing now? is he even with Konami?

Also can't Mercury Steam hire Ayami Kojima? because their artist sucks.

I swear I fought trolls and other weird enemies in later Metroidvanias. Aside from the mandragoras, I swear I fought all these enemies in other Castlevania games before.

There are those monsters that attack you with there tongues which I think were named Cavetrolls in Dawn of Sorrow I believe.

dock

Not sure about this. I loved Order of Ecclesia and I dislike QTEs.
Shame that this confirms we probably won't see another 2D Castlevania. :(

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Go Nintendo posted hands-on impressions.

Right off the bat, this game is absolutely gorgeous. One of the nicer looking 3DS games I've seen thus far. It's not Kid Icarus: Uprising levels of gorgeous, but it's still a very nice looking game. The game also featured a lot of in-game cut-scenes that looked fantastic. You really appreciate the art and graphics themselves when you see how well they work during story scenes.

If you're a fan of the Metroidvania style Castlevania games, you should be pretty happy to hear that Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate definitely follows in those footsteps. The touch screen during my demo session featured your typical tiny, blocky map that we've seen in the Iga-developed Castlevanias. There's definitely going to be backtracking and exploration in this game, but that all gets mixed in with the style and battle mechanics of Lords of Shadow.

Rest of the article here

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Based on the little footage shown and the track record of MercurySteam I have a feeling this game is going to chug along at a pretty poor framerate. :(

M3d10n

Based on the little footage shown and the track record of MercurySteam I have a feeling this game is going to chug along at a pretty poor framerate. :(

Well, I was seriously expecting it to look like a DS game and run like shit. I was pleasantly proved wrong in the visuals expectations, so I'll give them the benefit of doubt in regards to performance since it's much easier to manage performance in 2.5D games (you have much greater control over the amount of on screen stuff).

Mirror of Fate will reveal the story of Gabriel’s descendants, as they battle their own destiny in each era only to discover their true, shocking fate.

This description is making it sound like most of the playable characters will die at the end (or worse), which would fit storyline-wise, given that the main antagonist in this game seems to be still alive in LoS2.

Also, is there a glimpse of Alucard (with Trevor's combat cross
and Trevor's voice actor?
) at the 1:19 min mark?

Weird. Guess they didn't have a clue where they were going to go next if they are already altering the story.

Gabriel not knowing about his son because his wife kept the child secret from him actually fits quite well with the first game. Obviously,
Marie knew that Gabriel killed her (under the influence of Zobek but still), but didn't tell him about it when she had the chance as a spirit. She knew his destiny ...

Gabriel not knowing about his son because his wife kept the child secret from him actually fits quite well with the first game. Obviously,
Marie knew that Gabriel killed her (under the influence of Zobek but still), but didn't tell him about it when she had the chance as a spirit. She knew his destiny ...

Yeah, that idea just sounds crappy to me. They could obviously sell it better in the actual game, but on paper, that just seems like a lame way to get around the set up of the first game. "Oh, he had a long lost son..."

The part they have to sell me on is, why wouldn't she warn him about what was going to happen to him? Not an impossible task, so we'll see how it actually unravels before I a deem it complete shit.

Wallachia

Indeed. Some screens and art at that site that have me SOLD. The reports of shoddy gameplay and tech performance, I trust will get worked out.

castlevania_lords_of_shadow__mirror_of_fate-2019806.jpg

castlevania_lords_of_shadow__mirror_of_fate-2016845.jpg

castlevania_lords_of_shadow__mirror_of_fate-2016867.jpg

castlevania_lords_of_shadow__mirror_of_fate-2016879.jpg

castlevania_lords_of_shadow__mirror_of_fate-2016833.jpg

they're showing it here: http://e3.gamespot.com/live-show/

I'm starting to think Lord of Shadow's poor frame rate was intentional...

The game itself looks interesting. It's like the God of War/Lords of Shadow combat on a 2D plane. Very different from other 2D castlevania games. Platforming is also like LoS/GoW in 2D, rather than old 2D games.

Dascu

http://e3.gamespot.com/live-show/live-show-day-2/ (at 1h19mins)

Thoughts:
- Framerate is spotty, though graphics themselves look alright. Especially on smaller 3DS screen/resolution.
- Combat looks so-so. Platforming looks good, though I don't like the flashy ledges.
- Rooms look really big, plus load screens.
- Three Belmonts and one secret, fan favourite. Trevor/Simon and? Richter? Alucard?
- That annoying goddamn imp/hunchback has returned.
- No WiiU plans for LoS2. Haha, Paul Gale.

Question: How do all the "IGAvania haters" feel about this game basically being the same gameplay without the stats, and with a different coat of paint?

Love it. Love that the "heavy" feel that the combat had in LOS seems to translate just fine into the new style.

Gameplay looks fun and satisfying.

Beth Cyra

Thoughts:
- Framerate is spotty, though graphics themselves look alright. Especially on smaller 3DS screen/resolution.
- Combat looks so-so. Platforming looks good, though I don't like the flashy ledges.
- Three Belmonts and one secret, fan favourite. Trevor/Simon and? Richter? Alucard?

Question: How do all the "IGAvania haters" feel about this game basically being the same gameplay without the stats, and with a different coat of paint?

Not shocked at no Wii U given how many really big names are missing from it anyway and Konami hasn't show any support for the thing.

Again I must say I really doubt it would Richter because most people link him with Iga, then again them using Alucard probably says otherwise.

As for FF, I don't know if it will be Alucard or if they will save him for the end of the game should Trevor actually become him.

Yeah, it looks pretty fun to me as well. I just hope the framerate isn't atrocious once it releases.

Man watching the gameplay stream, wow. It looks so awesome. Controls look fine, framerate seems fine from what I can tell anyway and I think the combat from LOS is going to translate to this perfectly fine. Castle can be explored at will like in Metroidvania and you can only get to certain areas with certain characters.

This just sold me a 3DS, redesign or no redesign.

Firebrand

I'm still skeptical about Lords of Shadow (haven't played the first game yet, somewhat more interested in it after all the spoilers during this E3), but I thought this looked really interesting during Gamespot's stage demo, environments in particular looked nice.

I hope there's truly tons of backtracking and stuff in it, and not just receiving abilities you've never seen a use for already. Don't know about the combat, Cox said this was a bit more "action-heavy" than the IGAvanias, I hope that doesn't mean it's combos and air juggling on a 2D plane.

Derrick01

Banned

Thoughts:

Is it really the same gameplay? I was hoping for something better like a full 3D game :\

Oh well I'll probably still end up buying it anyway.

Top Bottom