• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Direct] The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Trailer

Am I the only one who wanted it on the 3DS instead since that's the system everyone was expecting it to be on? I thought the 3D effects for A Link Between Worlds were nice.

Oh well I don't see what the problem is because it looks great!

and they said there was no Smash Bros. news

This game looks like it was originally going to release on the 3DS honestly. It's a prettied up port for sure. I hope it's not $60.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nintendo putting in minimal effort as usual.

Joke post?

They created an all new art style for this game that hasn't been used for Zelda before. Imagine how many different styles they must have tried and prototyped. The world - all environments, objects, characters, enemies - is entirely reconstructed in 3D. It looks like the controls and hit detection have also been done from scratch for 3D. All music and effects have been redone. The opening animation has been recreated in cartoon quality. They have basically built the whole thing from scratch.

How could they possibly have put in more effort?

Iorv3th

I loved this game when it first came out on gameboy. I'll be sure to get it on switch. The artstyle looks really good.

Raven117

Ya know, I think I know why the art design puts a few of us off....

Links Awakening on the game boy was a mysterious experience, even sad. The game boy lack of color accentuated this. The experience felt like a secret.

The design now... well, it’s not very endearing to say the least.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ya know, I think I know why the art design puts a few of us off....

Links Awakening on the game boy was a mysterious experience, even sad. The game boy lack of color accentuated this. The experience felt like a secret.

The design now... well, it’s not very endearing to say the least.
Show me the last "dark, mysterious" top-down Zelda.

I'm not trying to dismiss this sentiment, but the handheld games -- and the franchise as a whole -- have been done in bright colors ever since Windwaker and Phantom Hourglass. Twilight Princess was the only hiccup in that pattern.

images

ALBW

legendzelda4swords_48544.jpg

4S

the-legend-of-zelda-spirit-tracks-20090602111126925_640w.jpg

ST

mcjmetroid

I'm not feeling the graphic style... yet.

I know it'll turn out to be great though but I hope enough new content is added. I played link's awakening years ago and it was fantastic if even a little underrated these days.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So is this a full top down Zelda game? If so, I think I'm finally getting a Switch (also that Mario Maker 2 announcement).

If you like Zelda, you'd already have a Switch because Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game ever made (and I don't say that lightly).
Nah... some of us don't like 3D Zelda (yes I know this new game is technically 3D, but you know what I mean).

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I played this a few too many times to be amped about it

While I'm hyped they're bringing this up for people who never got to enjoy it in the past, I kind of wanted to see something different for Zelda out of the direct. I don't know what the "something," is though.

So is this a full top down Zelda game? If so, I think I'm finally getting a Switch (also that Mario Maker 2 announcement).

It looked like there was one side-scrolling section in a cave or something where he jumped on Goombas, but otherwise it appears to be top-down. At least from the trailer.

Hendrick's

It looked like there was one side-scrolling section in a cave or something where he jumped on Goombas, but otherwise it appears to be top-down. At least from the trailer.
Goombas? I never played the original, but was there side scrolling sections in it?

Gamernyc78

Banned
If you like Zelda, you'd already have a Switch because Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game ever made (and I don't say that lightly).

To each its own. I have a switch but forced myself to finish Zelda Botw. This remake however has me happy and excited. I prefer 2d Zelda games more.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Goombas? I never played the original, but was there side scrolling sections in it?

Yeah, it goes side-scrolling when you're in caves in LA and the Oracle games. It's really minor though, barely happens.

But yes, it's a full "2D" Zelda. Have you really never played LA? It's arguably the best one. Not sure this remake would tip me to buy a Switch if I didn't already own one, since you could just play the original game elsewhere, but this looks super fucking neat.

Last edited:

Arozay

It has that UE4 fangame look to it with all the shiny textures and lighting.

I haven't played the original in ages so I'm not too disappointed. But a 3D take on the world would have been nice, too hard basket I guess.

Ughh, it feels like I'm watching a claymation animation/cartoon rather than getting transported to an actual alternate video game world. I'm also getting soap opera effect vibes.

Why couldn't the whole game be like the amazing anime intro?

Hendrick's

Yeah, it goes side-scrolling when you're in caves in LA and the Oracle games. It's really minor though, barely happens.

But yes, it's a full "2D" Zelda. Have you really never played LA? It's arguably the best one. Not sure this remake would tip me to buy a Switch if I didn't already own one, since you could just play the original game elsewhere, but this looks super fucking neat.
No, I've never played it for some reason. That said, my all time favorite Zelda is ALttP so top down is where its at for me. The side scrolling wouldn't bother me, I actually rather enjoyed Zelda 2. Seeing Goomba's is a little weird though.

No, I've never played it for some reason. That said, my all time favorite Zelda is ALttP so top down is where its at for me. The side scrolling wouldn't bother me, I actually rather enjoyed Zelda 2. Seeing Goomba's is a little weird though.

I also never played the original, so when I saw the Goombas I thought "wait, what!?" :messenger_grinning_sweat:

My favourite Zelda is ALttP and I also rather like Zelda 2

Let's bee fwiends

Raven117

Show me the last "dark, mysterious" top-down Zelda.

I'm not trying to dismiss this sentiment, but the handheld games -- and the franchise as a whole -- have been done in bright colors ever since Windwaker and Phantom Hourglass. Twilight Princess was the only hiccup in that pattern.

images

ALBW

legendzelda4swords_48544.jpg

4S

the-legend-of-zelda-spirit-tracks-20090602111126925_640w.jpg

ST
Dude, really? We are talking about Link's Awakening. Original Gameboy.
and you quoted everyone thats not Links Awakening.

The thing is, I have come to recognize now in my older years (I played Links Awakening upon release as a kid), that most of the Japanese RPG games I loved as a kid on that limited hardware was not what the creators were thinking FFVI is the best example. I was envision some dark and gritty steampunk machine and magic world, the creators were thinking anime.

With Links Awakening, due to the limited colors, it felt very mysterious. The music was deliberate and haunting to my young self. It felt like a suggestion of a zelda world we weren't quite privy to. That coupled with its melancholic tale...made for a unique experience. While they may have been thinking the cartoons above, what came across was something entirely different.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I also never played the original, so when I saw the Goombas I thought "wait, what!?" :messenger_grinning_sweat:

There's a ton of Mario enemies in LA, including thwomps. Lots of little Mario references sprinkled throughout elsewhere, as well.

If you've never played the original I would actually recommend playing LA:DX (the colour version) first, otherwise you're always going to have this remake as your first impression of the game. I think this looks fucking rad, but you should definitely consider going back first.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Dude, really? We are talking about Link's Awakening. Original Gameboy.
and you quoted everyone thats not Links Awakening.

The thing is, I have come to recognize now in my older years (I played Links Awakening upon release as a kid), that most of the Japanese RPG games I loved as a kid on that limited hardware was not what the creators were thinking FFVI is the best example. I was envision some dark and gritty steampunk machine and magic world, the creators were thinking anime.

With Links Awakening, due to the limited colors, it felt very mysterious. The music was deliberate and haunting to my young self. It felt like a suggestion of a zelda world we weren't quite privy to. That coupled with its melancholic tale...made for a unique experience. While they may have been thinking the cartoons above, what came across was something entirely different.

I understand this sentiment completely, I just disagree that the art style doesn't match the game. I also played it as a kid, in case that counts for anything. It is a kid's game, after all.

If it's any consolation, they butchered the art style, music, and sound effects for Metroid II: Remake on 3DS, another game I played as a child that I felt was haunting and mysterious.

iconmaster

Banned
Wind Waker's art style was initially controversial too. Now, it's beloved.

If you want the gameplay to match the original, it had to look something like the original.

pc5IvZV.gif

I like some of what Nintendo is doing graphically with this game, but the cutesy aesthetic of the characters isn't working for me. I'm not turned off, per say, just not as excited as I'd want to be for this title. My lack of enthusiasm is also likely a result of wanting Nintendo to make a completely new 2D-mechanics Zelda adventure, instead of one based on an existing game.

Last edited:

AV

Man, you had to pick a GIF of the worst room in the game. Took me so long as a kid to figure out that I had to A. push those blocks B. kill the pol's voice with a bottle and C. kill them in that order to get the key. At least, I think that's the case with the last one.

mcjmetroid

What is this new thing about blurring out backgrounds in games recently?
Octpath traveller did it
Yoshi's Crafted world does it
Kirby Star Allies did it

and now this is doing it.
It just looks strange to me.

Raven117

I understand this sentiment completely, I just disagree that the art style doesn't match the game. I also played it as a kid, in case that counts for anything. It is a kid's game, after all.

If it's any consolation, they butchered the art style, music, and sound effects for Metroid II: Remake on 3DS, another game I played as a child that I felt was haunting and mysterious.
I didn;t say anything about the artstyle matching the gameplay. (Honestly, I don't know what they could have done to capture the original...its just one of those games that was unique to its hardware that made it a different experience). Its just the overall feel.

In any event. The mechanics of the game are still solid, so another generation can enjoy it. Im sure even in that new artstyle, it will still be solid.

(There really was something about the older games that were almost more "art" than now due to how they had to suggest things to you and your mind took over, rather than simply show show show it all).

Tarin02543

My favourite game of all times. Hence my nickname.

I'm gonna see if the rumored Switch Mini is true, I'll definitely buy it for this game.

Rodolink

The usual thing with Zelda, art-style controversy, some love it some don't, personally I would've gone for a more organic look instead of a plastic one.
Also by looking at the intro sequence I hoped for a pen or pencil draft style art instead.
But I'm the end it's a Zelda and it's always a pleasure to play and that's the important thing.

Holy shit me too. So chain chomps originated in Linx Awakening?

I recommend all of you to read watch the dev story behind LA, they explain why they added Mario elements.

What is this new thing about blurring out backgrounds in games recently?
Octpath traveller did it
Yoshi's Crafted world does it
Kirby Star Allies did it

and now this is doing it.
It just looks strange to me.

Exactly! I was thinking the same, I like how it looks but I didn't like they "copied" the effect for a Zelda game, to me that effect will always remind me of 3D dot game heroes and Octopath.

Top Bottom