• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nacon announces the Asymmetric Wireless Controller for PS4

Shin

Banned
Lesquin (FRANCE), 2019, February 26th – BIGBEN INTERACTIVE, a designer and distributor of gaming accessories, is pleased to announce a new licensing agreement with Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) for the up-coming release of a wireless controller for PlayStation®4 (PS4™) under the NACON™ brand. Expected to be released in early 2019, the Asymmetric Wireless Controller will offer an asymmetric layout for the sticks and complementary ergonomics, which provide gamers with an alternative way to play on PS4™.

The NACON Asymmetric Wireless Controller is equipped with a rechargeable battery and USB receiver, required to provide a Bluetooth® connection, with uninterrupted transmission up to 7 meters from the console, even during local multiplayer sessions. The Wireless Controller’s Bluetooth® connection via the USB receiver also allows for audio and chat functionalities through the headset jack.

In addition to the essential functionalities of a PS4™ controller*, including a fully functional touch pad and all game controls*, the Asymmetric Wireless Controller integrates a battery level indication button. Located at the back of the controller, the battery level indication button allows players to quickly check if the battery level is sufficient, without having to interrupt gameplay. With features and ergonomics designed to meet players’ unique needs, the NACON Wireless Controller and its asymmetric sticks offer an alternative way to play on PS4™. Players can also enjoy the controller on PC**.

2002533500.jpeg
2002533502.jpeg
2002533488.jpeg
2002533490.jpeg
2002533492.jpeg
2002533494.jpeg
2002533506.jpeg
2002533508.jpeg

Source: Globe News Wire
Credit: Tweakers [Dutch]

Shakka43

Not bad, I still much preffer the symmetric alignment but as far as 3rd party controllers go this is one of the better looking.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Correct superior stick placement, concave sticks, decent looking triggers, nice looking light (though would have been better to just make the PS logo light up). I assume it’s with a bluetooth single and not using the wireless of the PlayStation?

Nice. Very nice. Can’t stand the cheap feeling tiny PS pad.

Imtjnotu

Micro USB 😒 I don't understand how stick placement bothers some. Does your right thumb have immunity to cramping also?

Georome

Anyone else never even notice if a controller is symmetrical or asymmetrical? I switch from Xbox One to PS4 and never even realize they are different.

AlphaMale

I don't understand the appeal for asymmetric over symmetric sticks. Some people just swear by their supposed superiority, but I just don't get it.
I barely notice any difference.
But if I had to absolutely choose between the two, I'd go with symmetric.

i dont get how this asymmetric set up of the thumbsticks is better . I have played xbox a decent amount. and I like the controller. but how the hell is the position of the Thumb stick. emphasis on thumb. is correct there? your thumb is positioned perfectly aligning where it is on the dualshock. and thats why the right handed one is there anyway. both of them really since both hands hold the controller symmetrically

makes no sense to me at all besides the fact that it was done that way so it doesn't look too similar to a dualshock back in the day

RedVIper

Banned
I have symmetrical hands, why would I want an asymmetrical controller?

Don't particularly like the design either.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The reason the sticks work better isn’t so much the fact they are symmetrical or not, it’s the reach and extension of your thumb. The PlayStation pad is so short it cramps up your hands for people with larger hands.

I felt like there was a testicles joke to be made here but I stared at my reply box and couldn’t come up with anything. You set me up perfectly, but I couldn’t close the deal.

Shame.gif (on me)

Dthomp

I mean i've been using Playstation controllers for every gen, but for the brief stretch where I had a 360 before the PS3 I really liked this controller type. I may have to get one of these just for the choice to use this type of controller again.

I can understand a personal preference for asymmetrical sticks, but people saying asymmetric is better because its more natural or causes less hand cramps how does that even make sense when the right stick is in the "wrong" position?

Closer

I can understand a personal preference for asymmetrical sticks, but people saying asymmetric is better because its more natural or causes less hand cramps how does that even make sense when the right stick is in the "wrong" position?

Because you use the Left Stick for walking and face buttons for actions.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

Because in a symmetrical controller layout, your thumbs are mostly in an asymmetrical position. I guess it depends on game type, in something like CoD you're thumbs are going to be on both sticks most of the time, but for most other games I'd imagine the right thumb is more often pressing face buttons.

Tarkus98

I like it. It will be nice to have the option of switching between the two types of controllers depending on the game. Does this have an internal speaker? I don't see it on the controller. Would be a shame if it didn't as I love how some games implement the use of the speaker.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No brainer...this will be the definitive controller for PS4. Perfect for shooters. It's the reason I buy most my games on Xbox. The controller. I am a little concerned about the D pad though. For fighting games nothing beats the DS4's Dpad.

Top Bottom