• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nadella: HoloLens Version 1 aimed at Enterprise Users not Gaming

panda-zebra

Banned
Good thing they aren't showing it at E3 or anything

SincerePhilSpencerGrin.png

Translation: Price is at least $2k

It's not been easy to find info on how much waveguides similar to those in hololens cost as a guide, the bits and pieces found did not suggest anything trivial. If this is truly is small scale production to the very high end of the market, $2k might be well short.

The E3 demo was a perfect example of a business use - theme park/museum/instruction

Museum as in as an aide/guide as you wander around? Doubt it'd be any time soon that having the great unwashed let loose with that value of tech on their heads made any kind of economic sense.

Shame that Minecraft is far more suitable for VR than AR.

What kinds of games actually are more suited to AR? I honestly can't think of any beyond the mere novelty of a kind of oh-look-an-alien-coming-out-of-my-wall-it's-dancing-on-my-coffee-table kind of stuff. Struggling to think of anything that would add to the gaming experience... maybe a situational real life adventure game?

Translation: Price is at least $2k

Or: XBOX One would propably melt trying it...

VR will take time to gain traction. If it takes off, MS could bring out VR hardware with Xbox two, or support something like oculus rift.

At that time PS4 will already be the established and recognized "VR console" on the market. Hence, I don't believe we will ever see a proper VR set for XBOX One. But it could be a option for its successor, should that one ever arrive.

Trup1aya

There are lots of applications for AR yeah, information display attached to markers and so on, gps tracked location and information overlay, but smoke and mirrors is presenting a wonderful Hollywood version of everything just magically working right now, no questions asked.

What's is your argument? The question was how can Hololens be used for enterprise, not whether or not it is currently ready for consumption. You've been provided with examples and demonstrations of how enterprise actually INTENDS to use it. Whether or not e3 demonstrations are 100% representative of the user experience is not the question here. It's a work in progress with clear potential, and has obvious use cases where VR isn't ideal.

krang

What kinds of games actually are more suited to AR? I honestly can't think of any beyond the mere novelty of a kind of oh-look-an-alien-coming-out-of-my-wall-it's-dancing-on-my-coffee-table kind of stuff. Struggling to think of anything that would add to the gaming experience... maybe a situational real life adventure game?

Granted it's not a wholly AR experience, but I'd love to have my HUD on AR.

Or: XBOX One would propably melt trying it...

HoloLens does processing itself. Can't imagine why the Xbox would struggle.

Zedox

It's very easy why he would say that V1 would be pushed towards enterprise and developers...they have to make applications/extensions. You can't just have that blank of a state and not have anything that consumers will purchase.

Also, people forget (or didn't read the whole thing) that the platform is Windows 10. The future isn't only Microsoft making Hololens...it will be other manufacturers who want to make an AR device as well (Samsung/HP/etc...) who can push the hardware and price to an affordable level for easier consumption. MS is building the platform and device to show you the way (while still trying to sell you on it to make money) and that's what V1 is about.

Remember, iPhone didn't get big at v1 either. Windows wasn't big at v1. Hell, the model-T car wasn't big at v1. But the vision and part of the implementation of that vision is there. I can't wait to get my hands on one so I can dev on it.

panda-zebra

Banned
Granted it's not a wholly AR experience, but I'd love to have my HUD on AR.

Right, to augment traditional gaming, that would work really well, but it's hardly going to make people throw money at the screen.

I was speaking in the context of gaming in AR vs VR - what case can be made for AR being in any way better? Like, play in VR and in the dog comes and sits on the rug and starts licking its balls, in VR I'm not too worried. In AR, I don't wanna see that mixing it with my voxels.

Trup1aya

I think anything with a top down view would've awesome in AR. RTS, turn based RPG, sports games (football, baseball, golf) even fighting games...and it would make for an awesome way to view spectator mode for any game.

Edit: I forgot to mention light gun games... And a platformer designed around AR (instead of shoehorned into it) could be great.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I was speaking in the context of gaming in AR vs VR - what case can be made for AR being in any way better? Like, play in VR and in the dog comes and sits on the rug and starts licking its balls, in VR I'm not too worried. In AR, I don't wanna see that mixing it with my voxels.

Heres a freebie to any HoloLens developer out there in 8 years when normal people can afford them:

A dog/cat collar with a marker so that at any given time a little character can be seen riding your dog/cat like it was some kind of battlebear.

Sadly, this post will continue to be missed as people on this forum continue to state how they can't figure out how anyone will use it.
Yeah but I'm a 40 something who works in enterprise software at Microsoft. I have a different demographic, perspective and career experiences to some of the other posters I suspect!

viveks86

That was pretty clear from day 1. Regardless of price, which is bound to be high since all the computing is onboard, gaming isn't the best application for HoloLens

Heres a freebie to any HoloLens developer out there in 8 years when normal people can afford them:

A dog/cat collar with a marker so that at any given time a little character can be seen riding your dog/cat like it was some kind of battlebear.
Oshit Vladimir Putin Hololens app here we come.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oshit Vladimir Putin Hololens app here we come.

It is the year 2022. Memes are now presented into your actual space. Tiny sad Keanu Reeves. Scary house on fire girl. Dancing emo Toby Maguire on your table.

Suicide rates skyrocket.

EvB

MS' Occulus support has the feel of their HD-DVD addon support when they were too dumb to add blu-ray.

Too dumb?
The same kind of dumb as the other film studios who didn't want a media format that was owned by their competitors?

Nobody knew which way it was going to go.

you'd never see the full bike like that though, again they're playing with the perceived FoV. You'd see like one wheel at a time, unless you were like 15 feet away.

The virtual screen was about the size of a deck of cards if you held it in front of your eyes with your arm half-extended.

edit : the full bike when it's life size I mean

Even if that quote is 100% accurate (and I suggest comparing to the comments of people who got hands on and posted in the hololens thread) - you're completely ignoring the ABSOLUTELY EPIC little 3d bike sat next to the guy on his desk, the ability to move his mouse off the desktop to the AR bike, and the ability to look around it untethered. All of those things still look like bloody magic to me!

It is the year 2022. Memes are now presented into your actual space. Tiny sad Keanu Reeves. Scary house on fire girl. Dancing emo Toby Maguire on your table.

Suicide rates skyrocket.

Am actually going to build this. (if I can find a hololens, graphics guy, and loads of spare time 😄)

Seanspeed

Banned
That's a good question, really. AR is definitely a more 'practical' sort of technology. The environmental limitations makes it so that creating full fledged games within the confines of an adapt-to-all-sorts-of-environment design would be extremely limiting. I can think of cool things to do in AR, but not anything that I'd see as a proper, $60-style game experience that we're typically used to.

We'll see. I do see VR as the sort of 'gaming-focused' technology of the two, even though it will also be great for all kinds of non-gaming applications as well.

Even if that quote is 100% accurate (and I suggest comparing to the comments of people who got hands on and posted in the hololens thread) - you're completely ignoring the ABSOLUTELY EPIC little 3d bike sat next to the guy on his desk, the ability to move his mouse off the desktop to the AR bike, and the ability to look around it untethered. All of those things still look like bloody magic to me!

I'd really need to try the thing myself before I can call it absolutely epic, and we still don't know if that little bike was fully visible too. And I know Hololens works, but the FoV has been brought up by nearly every article. If they could increase it enough to fit a table in the FoV, it would be awesome for board game/DnD though. Imagine putting a hand drawn dungeon down and the Hololens making it 3D, and your little avatars running around... I just don't think it's there yet

nynt9

It's very easy why he would say that V1 would be pushed towards enterprise and developers...they have to make applications/extensions. You can't just have that blank of a state and not have anything that consumers will purchase.

Also, people forget (or didn't read the whole thing) that the platform is Windows 10. The future isn't only Microsoft making Hololens...it will be other manufacturers who want to make an AR device as well (Samsung/HP/etc...) who can push the hardware and price to an affordable level for easier consumption. MS is building the platform and device to show you the way (while still trying to sell you on it to make money) and that's what V1 is about.

Remember, iPhone didn't get big at v1 either. Windows wasn't big at v1. Hell, the model-T car wasn't big at v1. But the vision and part of the implementation of that vision is there. I can't wait to get my hands on one so I can dev on it.

If you don't consider the first iPhone a success I don't know what to say to you man.

Same with Windows. Or the model T car. Idk wtf this post is about.

EGM1966

Thank Fuck. Yeah I know they're still showing it for games too but this sounds much more sensibly self aware as a positioning than with Kinect 1 for example where they really did go all out on games first when it should have been focused on non-gaming uses first.

Because...
But their narrative at E3 was "look at what the Xbox One can do! Pretty cool right? Just buy this HoloLens thing sometime down the road, or go ahead and buy an Xbox One because this is so sweet right?".

I'm sure someday in the future (maybe) the gaming aspects will come to fruition. But it's a pretty regular occurrence for Microsoft to show something off, make promises, imply things, and then "clarify" in a press release later after everyone already saw the show and got impressed by the technology. Kinda sleazy.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think anybody really expected Version 1 to be a consumer device after what we saw with the FoV. I mean, a huge part of it is that they're trying to make it so that it's completely untethered in every way. There's no way you can do gaming with hardware that has to fit in a band on your head. Maybe some Minecraft, but that's about it.

I don't think you listen to many gaming podcast then. Most of them were comparing it to Morpheus and Oculus.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I see a lot of Minecraft being played at major corporations these days too.

Although perhaps demoing at E3 wasn't a good idea, using minecraft is a good way for people to visualise how their business may be able to apply it to their segment. It is a relatively blank canvas that is easy to project other ideas onto. The alternative might require lots of demos of specific business use cases, which would have a much narrower focus and appeal.

timlot

Banned
But their narrative at E3 was "look at what the Xbox One can do! Pretty cool right? Just buy this HoloLens thing sometime down the road, or go ahead and buy an Xbox One because this is so sweet right?".

I'm sure someday in the future (maybe) the gaming aspects will come to fruition. But it's a pretty regular occurrence for Microsoft to show something off, make promises, imply things, and then "clarify" in a press release later after everyone already saw the show and got impressed by the technology. Kinda sleazy.

Something something The Last Guardian circa. 2009-2015. Shenmue3 circa Dec. 2017.
I'll bet we'll see Hololens on the market before either of those E3 highlights.

Synth

Google has put Glass on the back burner and Apple took one look at AR and said no thanks.

Frankly when those two decide an idea isn't viable then I would believe them before I believed Microsoft, a company with a track record in hardware that speaks for itself.

You'd go with Google and Apple over Microsoft in the ENTERPRISE space?

ooooookay then.... as you were

The full quote is "It sounds small, and in some cases, including once you first put it on, it looks small. But once you get into the experience of playing a game with it, the size issue seems to fade away." which doesn't sound so bad.

Also, depends how long half your arm is haha.

I don't think so, I don't remember if they stated exactly, but the Minecraft was running on a PC not Xbox One. I remember the girl (forgot her name) was interacting with it on Surface.

I don't think they ever implied it'd work with the Xbox One, or was pushed as an Xbox One accessory.

Novocaine

It's obviously going to take quite some time until HoloLens becomes affordable to most people.

I would guess so. But not only that smaller and better as well. I'm really excited at the potential of a HoloLens, but not for gaming at all really, more for every day functionality. If they ever manage to get this thing into a form factor that resembles glasses fuuuuuuuuuck. It's a long ways away but god damn it's cool to think about.

Jonnax

Too dumb?
The same kind of dumb as the other film studios who didn't want a media format that was owned by their competitors?

Nobody knew which way it was going to go.

30gb vs 50gb. Anyone that didn't have a financial interest in one side should have decided there and then from that comparison.

Cynn

MS knows that AR isn't a good fit for gaming. It's an enterprise product and I could see it as a "Google Glass" like product trying to replace smart phones down the line.

VR is a gaming tech and one I bet they'll be pursuing as well a bit later.

Alx

I don't think so, I don't remember if they stated exactly, but the Minecraft was running on a PC not Xbox One. I remember the girl (forgot her name) was interacting with it on Surface.

I don't think they ever implied it'd work with the Xbox One, or was pushed as an Xbox One accessory.

Yeah the Xbox wasn't ever mentioned during the Hololens demo, there was one Minecraft client running on a Surface, one supposedly on the Hololens headset and one on the PC connected to the "special camera". If they've been clear on one thing, it's that Hololens is standalone and not related to Xbox.

Something something The Last Guardian circa. 2009-2015. Shenmue3 circa Dec. 2017.
I'll bet we'll see Hololens on the market before either of those E3 highlights.
I'm not really sure what your point is. How does this disprove that Microsoft has a habit of showing tech stuff off that doesn't end up coming out or delivering?

I guess it's more a question of why was this being showed at a gaming show if it's not aimed at gamers. The point about it running on PC or Xbox is fair, but it's still a pitch for you to buy into their ecosystem, is it not?

timlot

Banned
MS knows that AR isn't a good fit for gaming. It's an enterprise product and I could see it as a "Google Glass" like product trying to replace smart phones down the line.

While I don't doubt they may have their own VR solution. They are better of sticking to the "Platform" role for VR headset manufactures. That space is going to get crowed very fast because the actual tech involved in a VR headset is already commoditized. I wouldn't be surprised if we see $199 VR headsets come holiday 2016.

I'm not really sure what your point is. How does this disprove that Microsoft has a habit of showing tech stuff off that doesn't end up coming out or delivering?

Would love some examples.

Because...

Don't bother, the pile up has already begun.

tumblr_mq1lg7bkKN1r29i3uo3_400.gif

I guess it's more a question of why was this being showed at a gaming show if it's not aimed at gamers. The point about it running on PC or Xbox is fair, but it's still a pitch for you to buy into their ecosystem, is it not?

I felt it was more of a tech demo than any kind of pitch. I think they understand their gaming fans who tune in to watch an E3 presentation are also likely tech geeks and love to see new things. It's not really much different than EA showing a Frostbite tech demo or something in my eyes.

From being in the crowd at the E3 conference I know it seemed like freaking magic right in front of my eyes. I wasn't compelled to go spend money, it was more of a "wow we're living in the future!" kind of moment.

I honestly don't know, but I don't think they've ever tried to monetize the HoloLens experience up to this point. We don't have a release date or price or.. anything. Just tech demos. They even explicitly made it so it doesn't require an Xbox, or even a PC to work. It IS a PC. I guess that buying it gets you into Windows 10.. but it's self contained, so it seems pretty inoffensive to me on that level.

And AR will become much bigger thing than VR. VR has very limited ways to use it, but of course for us gamers it will be bigger thing. Both are very interesting technologies nevertheless.

Hololens was shown at the explicitly named Xbox Press Conference. MS is muddying the waters, purposefully or not.

I'm confused as to why each one of these threads has at least one person who is entirely convinced that AR is more conducive to gaming than VR. It's like a bizarro world opinion to me, I can't make sense of it.
And AR will become much bigger thing than VR. VR has very limited ways to use it, but of course for us gamers it will be bigger thing. Both are very interesting technologies nevertheless.
AR will take a lot longer for its chief applications to materialize than VR has. VR is not something I would describe with 'very limited use scenarios', either. VR is not a gaming peripheral and its most exciting applications will certainly not be video games.

Top Bottom