• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Has Large Losses, Blames Everything But Tekken, Cuts 10% Staff,Reveals New Plan

[Nintex]

OutlawSamurai said:
I'm sorry to hear that... both games are so 1997

They definetly need some new franchises.

Wouldn't mind a new KLONOA game!!! but no thanks to another PAC MAN game:lol
Looking at the performance of New Super Mario Bros. Wii a New Pac Man might not be such a bad idea. But yeah, Namco is in trouble they can't seem to adapt to the new market. Their 'hit' titles not called Tales are far and few in between and since they're merged with Bandai no one would want to pick them up for cheap. I think it's just one of those companies that could use new management. They've got some valuable IP's and they're not doing nearly enough to take advantage of that. Instead they just release another five Tales games and call it a day.

JudgeN

Is it possible tekken was left out of the blame because the arcade was based on PS3 hardware, meaning they should have had a lot of the framework for the game already done (at least for the PS3 version)?

Either way bad for Namco, but haven't been hot for a long time now.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
OutlawSamurai said:

I got my money's worth out of RR 6 & RR 7. Unfortunately for Namco and good taste, nowadays people would rather race for virtual money to trick out their Civics and sit through some ridiculous story where you're the new guy in town who has to prove himself against the multi-ethnic toughs who own the city by outracing their leader while you woo the girl in a tube top who drops the flag.

Rhindle

Lots of helpful suggestion in this thread, for how to counter games not selling by releasing more games that don't sell.

Namco better be listening!

OutlawSamurai said:

They definetly need some new franchises.

Wouldn't mind a new KLONOA game!!! but no thanks to another PAC MAN game:lol
Pacman CE is the best thing they've done this gen, more or less.

[Nintex] said:
Looking at the performance of New Super Mario Bros. Wii a New Pac Man might not be such a bad idea. But yeah, Namco is in trouble they can't seem to adapt to the new market. Their 'hit' titles not called Tales are far and few in between and since they're merged with Bandai no one would want to pick them up for cheap. I think it's just one of those companies that could use new management. They've got some valuable IP's and they're not doing nearly enough to take advantage of that. Instead they just release another five Tales games and call it a day.

Pac Man HD will sell 5 million copies first month:lol :lol :lol They got decent IPs but bad managment just like SEGA :(

Linkup

How well do Tekken do in the past? It didn't seem like it was doing as well as it has done in the past, but then again Namco seems to stuff the channels with copies.

Namco's been going downhill since the Bandai merger. Hopefully something good with come from all this though.

Linkup said:
How well do Tekken do in the past? It didn't seem like it was doing as well as it has done in the past, but then again Namco seems to stuff the channels with copies.

Going only by US ltd sales, every iteration until 6 hit a million or just about.

Edit: Not counting handhelds version of course. Though DR PSP is still ahead of T6 PS3+X360 in US sales as of Dec but that should change soon if it hasn't already.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Synless said:
They deserve this for not releasing Vesperia in english on the PS3. I have no sympathy for them. Also the fact they haven't said anything about Graces in english yet makes me hate them even more.
would you mind dialing down the pathetic a little?

Bebpo

Banned
When Ben 10 sells more than every "real" game they make...I don't know what to say. Shovelware future?

Guileless said:
I got my money's worth out of RR 6 & RR 7. Unfortunately for Namco and good taste, nowadays people would rather race for virtual money to trick out their Civics and sit through some ridiculous story where you're the new guy in town who has to prove himself against the multi-ethnic toughs who own the city by outracing their leader while you woo the girl in a tube top who drops the flag.

EA definetly made their money in Need For Speed Underground just when the whole Fast and Furious fad took off. EA definetly made the right decision with good managment. Fast forward 3-4 yrs and Namco releases Ridge Racer 6/7 which is crap in my opinion. EA definetly got my money since NFSU series was way better then RR 6/7

Linkup said:
Tekken was a phenomenal seller in the past. The series peaked saleswise with Tekken 3, which sold over 6 million copies worldwide.

wrowa

Everything is to blame but Tekken? It seems to me as if they don't want to admit that their strongest franchise is going downhill.

wrowa said:
Everything is to blame but Tekken? It seems to me as if they don't want to admit that their strongest franchise is going downhill.

Fighting games peaked 10 yrs ago with Tekken 3... time to move on to FPS Namco:D

faridmon

didn't Tekken under perform? shouldn't most of the blame go to the biggest franchise they had once to become a joke in terms of sales?

the hell is wrong with Namco?

Chemo

I would have been all over Vesperia PS3 if they'd bring it over. Other than that, the last game I bought from Namco was Noby Noby Boy on its release day, with no current interest in future Namco titles.

Get your shit together, Namco.

DogWelder

Their net loss was $350 million USD, not $1.4 million. Also, their expected profit was $95 million. Just how small of a company do you think Namco is? :lol

Edit: Those are projections, too. I don't really get what your arrows are pointing to.
Edit2: Ohhh, these are revised projections, not an earnings release. Sheesh.

madara

Respect the Tales franchise better outside of Japan and you got me. Besides translating titles that already exists properly I could go for HD 2D Tales game and a 3D one on the PS3 as long as it characters and story dont make me cringe Namco! A few fables that adult gamers could digest as well in the gameplan. Keeping the Japanese language track at bare minimum.

Feorax

Seems as though Karma has finally come back to bite them for dicking around so much at the start of this generation.

ymmv

Banned
Chemo said:
I would have been all over Vesperia PS3 if they'd bring it over. Other than that, the last game I bought from Namco was Noby Noby Boy on its release day, with no current interest in future Namco titles.

Get your shit together, Namco.

Namco should start investing in new franchises instead of beating their old warhorses to pulp. It's clear that there's no real future in series like Ridge Racer, Tekken and Ace Combat anymore. They've been cruising on their past successes since the PS1 and seem to be unable to do something different. Sure, there'll be a lot of fans here for new entries in the series but since each new game sells less than the previous game why bother?

DR2K

Banned
Busaiku said:
That's not what the figure is.
They shipped another 400k in Japan/Asia.

Edit- not sure

2.5 million copies were shipped(according to Namco). So why wasn't that included?

I forget the step by step process for sold = shipped, but I'm sure Namco loses money if retailers don't sell copies.

garth2000

I'm not a big fan of most of Namco's big titles, but if they keep putting out games like Pac Man CE and Galaga Legions, I will buy them.

Ikkarus

It would be great if they brought over all the previous Japanese only Tales games to NA and EU.

We'll no doubt be seeing more Ben 10 games being churned out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How does 20,000 less units cause a $1.4 million loss? Where does Namco make $70 per copy of a game sold? What, did they expect the Tekken 6 SE to sell out within a few weeks?

Aside from their niche JRPG lines, when was the last time Namco felt like they were positioning a big new title as something to look forward to? Their release list feels old, like *yawn* last gen retreads and sequels. Where's the interesting new stuff to look forward to? Seems like, to me, Pac-Man CE was the last fresh-feeling thing coming out of them...and that's simply a great remix of an old game...a small title for DD.

DogWelder

Drkirby said:
How does 20,000 less units cause a $1.4 million loss? Where does Namco make $70 per copy of a game sold? What, did they expect the Tekken 6 SE to sell out within a few weeks?
It's not $1.4 million. The revised projection is -$350,000,000 from an initial projection of $95 million.

Whatever happened to that Splatterhouse remake? It's been almost a year since they took it from BottleRocket and gave it to the team that made that horrible Afro Samurai game.

Busaiku

DR2K said:
Edit- not sure

2.5 million copies were shipped(according to Namco). So why wasn't that included?

I forget the step by step process for sold = shipped, but I'm sure Namco loses money if retailers don't sell copies.
Hmm, ok, that confuses me too.
I don't know why they wouldn't have the US/EU numbers in their report.

Regardless, all of this data is what Namco Bandai sold (shipped), not retailers.

Top Bottom