• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name the next Xbox

Xbox Live

I think you're on to something. This is the kind of confusing name they have opted for in the past, naming their second console 720 instead of 2, and calling their 3rd console "One." Calling it xbox live would confuse so many kid's mothers regarding their online subscription service as opposed to their hardware that it just feels "real."

Last edited:

FeldMonster

I stole this from elsewhere (Reddit I think).

Xbox 365
  • Descendant of/successor to the Xbox 360
  • Ends in a 5 like the PS5
  • Available/Ready 365 days a year, referring to XCloud and PC cosplay
  • Similar to Microsoft Office 365 in both name and concept
I think it has a nice ring to it.

rəddəM

XBox 4320p® or 8K®
XBox 2®
XBox 720®
XBox Elite®
XBox 4® or IV® *Edited.
Box X®
XBox Neo®
PlayBox X®
XStation®
XBox Infinitum®
XCloud Box®
XBox Cloud®

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
Xbox Alpha and Beta? Aren’t there supposed to be two? In it for the triggers

PrestigiousMeekHagfish-size_restricted.gif

Beta version can't lift

Xbox Four-Three-Twenty °

Here's how it gets such a stupid name. I figured their committee would start by wanting to reference the very successful xbox 360, so they'd go with 720, meaning I guess 2 full rotations in extreme sports or something. Then someone would be like "wait, that sounds like it outputs at low resolution!" So then it gets changed to "Xbox 4k." People are pretty happy with this, since it's the 4th xbox as well. It's almost time to break for cocaine and hookers when somebody says "but isn't that just the current high-res output? What happens when everyone starts to have 8k? And 4k doesn't sound like a skateboarding trick at all!" Everyone grumbles and sits back down. After much debate, the name is changed to xbox 8000. This seems to sit pretty well with most people in the meeting, since 8000 references 8k resolution and to a layman the xbox 8000 would presumably be 7995 steps ahead of the playstation 5.

"Can it actually output at 8k though?" asks the same annoying guy who questioned the original "xbox 4k" name that everyone was happy with. "Um... probably?" Says a high paid tech advisor who had never thought about it. "Maybe we could de-emphasize that a bit, though." "Hey, I've been thinking," interrupts another marketer, "8000 is 22.222 rotations...Why would you spin around 22 times and not the 23rd?" "Wouldn't you get dizzy?" asks a concerned lady who had not spoken until now. "We're gonna run out of numbers!" Insists a grumpy old bald dude. "If we go this high now, we'll be naming one of these things down the line and there won't be any bloody numbers left!"

After much discussion on into the night, the name Xbox 4320 is locked in. Everyone thinks it's perfect. It references 8k but not too obviously, it has the number '4' in it since it's the 4th xbox, and when you spin around 12 times that's 4320 degrees (very important.) Plus the target demographic can ignore the '3' and be like "whooo! xbox 420 blaze it!" But people with connections and clout keep asking dumb questions and trying to make tweaks anyway, wanting to put their mark on the name. And it's so late that people just don't care. There's no chance of hookers and cocaine now, they just want to get home and go to sleep, so they agree to anything, even as they sigh and facepalm. That's how it gets the spelled out numbers and the degree symbol.

Last edited:

Pantz

Xbox One For All
Xbox All For One

I remember someone on here guessed the Xbox One X name before it was revealed. Someone may already have this one too.

BigBooper

Playing off my idea of them dropping or moving towards dropping the name Xbox,. I'll predict they name the new one something like Xbox Central.

Then in four years they will have the whole MS Central product line, with an Alexa like device, a new MS Central game console, Surface Central phones and tablets.

Xbox (Lockhart)
Xbox ∞ + (Anaconda)
I can seriously see Microsoft doing something like this. Take away the word and use just a symbol or something. Honestly I think the first one is it. But now I have to come up with something else! Thanks panda... 😂

If it were me I'd make it a halo encompassing the name, Xbox. Have it at an angle with part of the halo crossing in front of the name. It would be Xbox Installation 004. A reference to the first halo in combat evolved and the 4th Xbox generation. But it wouldnt say installation 004. Just the symbol around the name. Combat evolved is what started the original Xbox off with a bang. Would be a nice tribute.

Or in an unprecedented move, MS moves away from the Xbox moniker and rebrands the next Xbox, The Phil Spencer.

Last edited:

HUELEN10

Xbox Ultimate, because it sounds like last, and it does it all, todays games, yesterday's games, and thanks to xcloud, tomorrow's games.

At the same time, it can be succeeded, unlike Xbox Infinite.

Last edited:

Zannegan

XBox 1080 and XBox 4K
Then next gen they can have the XBox 8K and finally leapfrog Sony in the numbers/name game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom