• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto vs. Sasuke is the best animated fight in Shonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well, even if it's not as good (I don't think it will be) at the very least part 2 won't be broken up into different episodes

iaJy6GE.jpg
when's the episode?

Agreed. Naruto Part I was damn good.

The other suggestions in this thread so far don't come close. A good fight isn't just determined by animation style, there's so much more to it like the OP mentioned.

Naruto has some pretty good fights. Lots of talented people doing their thing when they want to show some muscle. Regardless of the series quality itself, those are at least worth watching. People trying to push Unlimited Blade Works as being better is fuckin laughable.

Are we going to count the last fight in Sword of the Stranger? Because that may be the best swordfight of all time.

kewlmyc

I'm surprised people are saying DBZ Super has the best anything.

And yeah, that Naruto fight was great. Too many anime nowadays are just a bunch of flashy lights to hide the CG. Ufotable does this a lot to hide their sometimes just average animation. Bones and Madhouse usually get it right though.

Gonna throw my vote in with Yuske vs Toguro. The buildup to that was INSANE, and the fight itself was pretty no-nonsense. Some talking, some flashbacks, but not episodes worth. Plus after some playing around they both said fuck it and went 100%. Makes more sense than most shonen anime fights.

Any time Hiei uses his black dragon wave makes me happy as fuck though.

YYH is awesome.

As a huge Dragon Ball fan...Dragon Ball fights after it moved beyond martial arts got pretty boring. beam spam and fast punching/dodging is all you get most of the time, although it has some moments.

Clegg

Uh........Did you guys read/watch the same manga/show I did? Nartuo throughout the series has a penchant for tactical fights, the War Arc included. I don't know how hand-to-hand makes something more stategic by nature.
The tailed beast bombs soured me on the entire war arc. After the Immortals arc the power creep really set in and I lost interest quickly.

Basoes

Shiki vs Fujino in Kara no Kyoukai was the best fight I've seen in anime, next would be any fight in the Macross Frontier movies (both of them)

I completely agree with you, OP. You don't deserve the flack you're getting for this statement in this thread. Not so much in part 2 but in part 1 the build up to that fight and the fight itself is absolutely amazing. Classic

When Oh! Student and Teacher Affection kicks in and you hear the anger in Sasuke's voice when he yells at Naruto about not understanding loss since he's always been alone and Naruto rebuttals with how Iruka and Team 7 have helped him to understand what family is like and the montage of scenes kicks in and we get that shot of Kid-Naruto meeting Kid-Sasuke's glance and they both turn their heads but Kid-Naruto smiles cuz he recognizes the connection they have, I cry.

Part 2 is a mixed bag with some underrated amazing moments and scenes with a ton of material that hurt the overall reputation the series has. Part 1 is completely fantastic though

I think Jump milked the franchise. The drop off in quality of Naruto shouldn't all fall on Kishimoto. Oda and OP have a story that is worth keeping it running for decades. Naruto should have ended 3ish years earlier than it did. I think Kishi was spreading the story too thin to keep it running and my gut feels like Jump wanted the series to continue longer than the story called for do to its consistency in popularity and not having a strong enough rising star to take its place

Clegg

Some of the most interesting fights for me were in the filler episodes about young Itachi. Just straight up skill with kunai, shuriken and hand to hand combat.

I think all things considered, not just pure animation but the build up, the rawness, the emotion, I don't have a problem with someone considering it the best.

a lot of the stuff people are posting in here is just really flashy stuff that while it may be more "badass" they just aren't as memorable as the Naruto/Sasuke fight.

OP is right. Its the hand to hand combat with jutsu that makes Naruto vs Sasuke stand out so much, alongside the hype of the fight with both of them finally going all out at each other.

tumblr_n5xvz0MjsI1tc0fg0o4_250.gif
tumblr_n5xvz0MjsI1tc0fg0o5_250.gif
tumblr_n7p2djv3Jo1rzkxhio6_250.gif

Hidan & Kakuzu Vs Asuma and Kakashi

Madara versus the world

Sasuke vs Killer Bee

Sasori Vs Sakura

Naruto has the best fighting animation in all of shounen and its not even a competiton to be honest. I expect Part 2 fight to be the standout episode of the year tbh

90483f0c23.gif

I think all things considered, not just pure animation but the build up, the rawness, the emotion, I don't have a problem with someone considering it the best.

a lot of the stuff people are posting in here is just really flashy stuff that while it may be more "badass" they just aren't as memorable as the Naruto/Sasuke fight.

Exactly. I can't believe how many people are harping on the statement proposed in the OP. If you're into shonen manga, how can you not acknowledge the beauty and execution that went into this fight? Naruto has severe drop off in quality in Part 2, but Part 1 (while not perfect) is classic shonen material

Naruto v Pain is superbly animated. The fight itself may bit be to everyone's taste but I loved it.

From what I remember
the anime expands on Hinata's involvement in this fight
and I really appreciate that and in that respect prefer the anime's depiction of this fight over the mangas

brawly

I gotta rewatch the whole thing soon (without fillers obv). Maybe it's finished by the time I get there
naaah

Compbros

Minus the animation I don't see anything special about this fight that other Shonen didn't have. There's been better buildup, there's been better sounds, there's been better animation. It's a big emotional release for fans but it's been done other places in better ways.

Minus the animation I don't see anything special about this fight that other Shonen didn't have. There's been better buildup, there's been better sounds, there's been better animation. It's a big emotional release for fans but it's been done other places in better ways.

I don't know how much you know about shonen manga but I'm kind of an expert. What rival fight from a shonen would you say has better build up than Naruto/Sasuke at the climax of Naruto Part 1?

Compbros

I don't know how much you know about shonen manga but I'm kind of an expert. What rival fight from a shonen would you say has better build up than Naruto/Sasuke at the climax of Naruto Part 1?

This got such a big laugh outta me it was ridiculous. Are we talking friends or rivals?

Edit: I also said better buildup, not just between rivals/friends. But I'll still go with this.

This is actually one of my top 5 fights too. The fights in One Piece are usually over the top and comedic, with it's fair share of serious, violent turns. But this battle is special due to the stakes and gap in power at hand. Ironically enough, Usopp, whom has mostly been a gag character up to this point, even using the same gag attacks in this fight, produces one of the most tense and emotionally charged battles of the series. It's a really clever fight that turns your expectations on their head, even for One Piece. It's also just as brutal to watch.

I appreciate OP and this post. As in life, the "you need to watch more anime" crowd are wrong.
Anime in moderation, people ;)
Top tier shonen fights with real emotional stakes.

Edit: Haven't been a fan of either show for years, but truth is truth.

I agree with OP. One of the best fights ever. Everything, even the ending, just so perfect. I genuinely wanted Naruto to win not just for Sasuke but for himself, for Sakura. He needed that victory so badly and yet he failed. Such a powerful fight and one of my personal favorites ever.

LOL

Looks like they stole it frame by frame to me.

He is, but this particular fight choreography wasn't in the manga, so I blame the director.

you have no idea what you are talking about? Animators often pay homage to their inspirations by doing things like this:

naruto_is_so_original_by_dragonoftheeastblue.gif

8ca8386f70c4b7b47d82a7a8b94a3ac5-1.gif

Someone paying homage to a Norio Matsumoto's scene in Naruto.

Mael

I like nearly all the examples posted in the thread....except for Dragon Ball Super, that seriously looked like shite.
For Naruto, I think this is the absolute peak of the whole naruto thing.
The 3 parts fight was superb and a really great thing to behold.
until then Naruto was a little too heavy on filler and outside of that shitty arc with Jiraya and the other 2 old people I felt like it was a legit great show with fantastic fights.
Shippuden is fantastic if you get the abridged version only with fights animated and skip the rest by reading the manga...At least till Pain (because i pretty much stopped there).
I loved the Sasori fight, anything Pain or the Uchiha ultimate fight.
I'm not saying they're the best or everything, I'm saying they were entertaining.
Of course I'd say HxH is superior in every way and the absolute highlight for me would be Yupi's growth from the beginning of the invasion to him leaving the scene.
I'm looking forward to the next animated arc because it's going to freaking incredible.
Bleach had its moment but it's really all buildup no pay off, it gets tiring after a while.
I liked Nanatsu no Taizai too, really stupid nonsense that is really fun to watch.
Fairy Tail too for that matter, if he could be less predictable it could be something special too.

I could also talk about Shingeki no Kyojin or anything done by gainax but it's different in some way, feels less like a serialized series (despite SnK absolutely being one).

and after ironically watching Pokemon X&Y and expecting crap like whatever the fuck the show was during Hoenn or whatever, it's incredible. Self contained episode that the team behind it master with fantastic animation (seriously every time you see the gingle for battle you know the animators are having fun).
I never expected to say good thing about what I really saw as a shitty show for small kids that will never be anything but cheap marketing all these years ago but here we are.

I disagree with the idea that Naruto vs Sasuke had good buildup narratively. One of my biggest problems with the Naruto vs Sasuke stuff is that, especially in the manga without filler, but even in the anime, Naruto and Sasuke were never really friends, and that aspect of their relationship was always told rather than shown. Rivals, sure, with a grudging respect for each other. But friends? Naruto and Sasuke's only interactions were as antagonistic rivals. They never talked as friends. They never hung out. They never acted friendly towards each other. I love to compare this to Luffy vs Usopp in One Piece, which has far more emotional weight because even without being explicitly told anything about Luffy and Usopp's relationship, we've seen throughout the manga to this point that they're essentially best friends on the crew, constantly goof off together in downtime, and see the amount of trust and respect they have for each other, so Usopp fighting Luffy has far more emotional weight because we've seen their relationship play out and not just heard about it. And that's ignoring all the other compelling stuff about Usopp vs Luffy, like Usopp putting up a decent fight against Luffy despite being far weaker than him, and the weakest in the crew in general even.

rambis

Banned
I disagree with the idea that Naruto vs Sasuke had good buildup narratively. One of my biggest problems with the Naruto vs Sasuke stuff is that, especially in the manga without filler, but even in the anime, Naruto and Sasuke were never really friends, and that aspect of their relationship was always told rather than shown. Rivals, sure, with a grudging respect for each other. But friends? Naruto and Sasuke's only interactions were as antagonistic rivals. They never talked as friends. They never hung out. They never acted friendly towards each other. I love to compare this to Luffy vs Usopp in One Piece, which has far more emotional weight because even without being explicitly told anything about Luffy and Usopp's relationship, we've seen throughout the manga to this point that they're essentially best friends on the crew, constantly goof off together in downtime, and see the amount of trust and respect they have for each other, so Usopp fighting Luffy has far more emotional weight because we've seen their relationship play out and not just heard about it. And that's ignoring all the other compelling stuff about Usopp vs Luffy, like Usopp putting up a decent fight against Luffy despite being far weaker than him, and the weakest in the crew in general even.

People always bring this up but when has it ever been implied that they were buddy-buddy and why does it matter? They were two rivals that were mostly petty with each other but clearly respected and even cared for each other. and pushed each other to new heights.

I think people really miss the point on their relationship.

3 pages and no Obito vs Kakashi gifs?

Let me fix that...

ts57YS7.gif

rZlbDe6.gif

3fDqrip.gif

NsZMalz.gif

icUegWu.gif

ifvw6Ii.gif

ZrlLERm.gif

33FCTBS.gif

I think I like this fight so much because it came out of no where, it was "off screened" in the manga.
shiiiit this fight was so good. That music....the absolute perfect use of flashbacks, probably one of the best use of them I've seen in a shounen EVER, and the animation and just everything. So good.

Mael

Naruto/Sasuke is really just a poor man's Gon/Killua relationship.
If there's one thing I would scratch from the end of part 1 is the whole "you know Sasuke I'm really your best friend despite you never hanging out with me ever".
that was shite in the manga, it's even worse in the anime. I mean at least in the manga I can skip ahead without a problem.
What was I to do when you had 1 whole episode dedicated to that crap?
No one mentions a fight from bleach. Wow

I did but I don't really like it.
That Ulquorria fight would have been up there if Kubo didn't shit the bed on that one.
People doing the anime couldn't really save that blunder.

People always bring this up but when has it ever been implied that they were buddy-buddy and why does it matter? They were two rivals that were mostly petty with each other but clearly respected and even cared for each other. and pushed each other to new heights.

Because they didn't really care for each other beyond rivals, and the whole fight has them talking about each other as FRIENDS, not rivals. The level of emotional investment and such involved is completely different. Naruto's reaction makes sense for losing a close friend, but him and Sasuke were never even remotely as close as they try to suggest during that fight

I would say you've misunderstood the relationship. It was always more of a rivalry, however through such rivalry they were able to respect each other. By the end of Part 1, Sasuke's relationships are more like budding endeavours, something that could eventually happen but won't due to the inner conflict he faces and his decision.

Furthemore, it being highlighted throughout the on going plot rather than having specific focus on it made the development more natural.

While Sasuke and Naruto may not be the most social of friendships, its their rivalry that created so much hype for the final part and having Sasuke win was a big shock at the time.

Mael

Because they didn't really care for each other beyond rivals, and the whole fight has them talking about each other as FRIENDS, not rivals. The level of emotional investment and such involved is completely different. Naruto's reaction makes sense for losing a close friend, but him and Sasuke were never even remotely as close as they try to suggest during that fight

Coming from Naruto, you can give him a pass.
I mean he clearly had a fucked up past and what he had with the Sauce is probably the closest he had to a real friendship.
So whatever.
The Sauce on the other hand? Why should we believe he gives 2 shits about it? The guy just wants to avenge his family and be strong.
Naruto is measuring stick to him nothng more.
I won't even talk about Sakura, she was already shite in part1.

Interestingly Sasuke is closer to how HxH's Zoldyck's family expect Killua to act, an emotionles tool that only cares if he can kill someone or not.

Compbros

Because they refer to each other as someone "dear" and their "best friend". Even without being buddy buddy I don't see how they could ever be seen as friends from what we're shown. We're just told that they are.

Nightbird

- reads title
- comes in
- taps the mike
- clears throat
- "Gurren Lagann"
- drops mike
- leaves the stage

seriously, Gurren Lagann is the best in all shounen in terms of animation (well this and fist pumping action).

at least I consider it shounen, even though the first episode is basically "plato's cave allegory: the anime"

Mael

Because they refer to each other as someone "dear" and their "best friend". Even without being buddy buddy I don't see how they could ever be seen as friends from what we're shown.

Again from Naruto's PoV it's something that actually makes sense.
Sasuke on the other hand...

Coming from Naruto, you can give him a pass.
I mean he clearly had a fucked up past and what he had with the Sauce is probably the closest he had to a real friendship.
So whatever.
The Sauce on the other hand? Why should we believe he gives 2 shits about it? The guy just wants to avenge his family and be strong.
Naruto is measuring stick to him nothng more.
I won't even talk about Sakura, she was already shite in part1.

Interestingly Sasuke is closer to how HxH's Zoldyck's family expect Killua to act, an emotionles tool that only cares if he can kill someone or not.
i'd agree if this was beginning part 1 Naruto who had no friends, but by the point of this fight Naruto did have much better actual friendships with characters like Rock Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom