• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashville Police Chief Refuses to Crack Down on Ferguson Protesters, No Violence Ensu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

http://benswann.com/nashville-polic...esters-no-violence-or-property-damage-ensues/
“In Nashville, if you want to come to a public forum and express your thoughts, even if they’re against the government, you’re going to get your First Amendment protection, and you’re going to be treated fairly by the police officers involved. That’s what we do here in Nashville,” said Metro Nashville Police Chief Steve Anderson in comments to WKRN-TV 2, reflecting on his department’s response to Ferguson protests last Tuesday.

Chief Steve Anderson, who made news in October when his department refused to cooperate with Secret Service agents who asked Nashville police to falsify a warrant so that they could search the home of an Obama critic, is making headlines again for his unique approach to dealing with protesters angry about a grand jury’s decision not to indict Ferguson, MO Police Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of unarmed African-American teen Michael Brown. Rather than confronting protesters with militarized hardware, tear gas, and rubber bullets, Nashville police treated the protest more like a parade or community event, essentially providing security while protesters made their statement.

Incidentally, the protests, though they were emotionally-charged and attended by 450 people, did not descend into the type of violence, rioting, and looting that has been seen in other cities. Said Chief Anderson, “We had people that took to the streets, took to the forums to express their thoughts, their ideas, and they were extremely well-behaved. We had no incidents of any vandalism of any violence of any type. What I noted [is] that people were even picking up the trash that they had left behind at the scene.”

On Monday, prior to the announcement of the grand jury’s decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson, Police Chief Steve Anderson and newly-elected District Attorney Glenn Funk, who won his election in a campaign that promised a focus on hardened criminals rather than good kids who make mistakes with drugs, scrambled to meet with clergy leaders in the African-American community, listening to concerns and creating relationships with those who would become leaders in the following day’s protest.

Chief Anderson’s police force met protesters with hot chocolate and bottled water, rather than tear gas, marched alongside them, and ran the type of security that one might expect in a civic parade, communicating on an ongoing basis with protest leaders. At one point, protesters charged up an on-ramp and took over Interstate 24 over the objections of Nashville police. Chief Anderson made a controversial real-time decision, opting not to arrest protesters, and ordered officers to shut down I-24 temporarily, allowing demonstrators to make their statement by lying down on the roadway while drivers waited. Consequently, protesters were cleared off the roadway within twenty to twenty-five minutes. Anderson acknowledged that the incident did inconvenience Nashville drivers, but no more so than a car accident or other situation in which police sometimes block the roadway to protect citizens’ safety.

“We could have moved in and made arrests, but to do that you have to do that one by one in a very careful manner… We would have been there two to three hours,” said Chief Anderson, explaining his decision not to arrest protesters for taking over I-24 in comments to WKRN-TV 2. “Last night’s event went very well and I hope that all of Nashville is proud of not only the law enforcement response, but the response of the citizens involved and that we have set an example for the nation.”

Video at the link.

A few days old, was probably posted already but didn't see a thread on it.

Edit: Damn it. If a mod could fix the title to something that fits that would be appreciated.

Frog-fu

Banned
Peaceful protests being facilitated and not obstructed, the way it should be. Well done, Chief, and all others involved in making this happen.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Minneapolis protest was similar. Police diverted traffic for three blocks all around to provide room (well after the hit and run)

Slayven

You treat people like humans, show a little empathy and shit stays peaceful. Who knew?

How long before another police dude shames him saying he gave in to the animals?

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I don't think any of the protests nationwide turned violent regardless of how police handled it. There were a few incidents in Minnesota but that's all I've heard. I think it has more to do with the removal from the situation more than anything.

Minneapolis protest was similar. Police diverted traffic for three blocks all around to provide room (well after the hit and run)

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Dead Man

I don't think any of the protests nationwide turned violent regardless of how police handled it. There were a few incidents in Minnesota but that's all I've heard. I think it has more to do with the removal from the situation more than anything.

Possibly, don't know. But publicising peaceful protests and having a police chief back this kind of response is worth publicising anyway, I think.

Falsify a warrant? Will have to do some googling into that later.

Yeah, that seems dodgy as fuck.

Falsify a warrant? Will have to do some googling into that later.

Here:

In the Nashville case, a Secret Service agent made a frantic call for backup to Nashville police after he and another agent went to the home of a Nashville man, investigating threatening comments on Facebook about the President. The man who posted them had refused to let the agents into his house.

"He shoved the door in our face and went around the corner. Looks like, we're not sure if he ... possibly he had a gun in his hands," the agent told a 911 operator.

In a letter that he first sent to Secret Service headquarters, the Nashville police chief recounted what happened.

"The resident refused to come outside and shouted back, 'Show me your warrant,'" Anderson wrote.

So "one of the agents then asked a [police] sergeant to 'wave a piece of paper' in an apparent effort to dupe the resident into thinking that they indeed had a warrant."
Source

It's a shitty thing to do, most certainly. I find it funny that the chief acts like officers don't use deceit all the fucking time, when interviewing suspects for instance. Still, shitty thing to do, given the guy was only being investigated for Facebook comments. (Of course, that's Secret Services job.)

Dead Man

Here:

Source

It's a shitty thing to do, most certainly. I find it funny that the chief acts like officers don't use deceit all the fucking time, when interviewing suspects for instance. Still, shitty thing to do, given the guy was only being investigated for Facebook comments. (Of course, that's Secret Services job.)

Less dodgy than I thought, but still shady. Regarding deception, police use deception and very questionable interrogation techniques, so any pushback from a higher up I will take as a baby step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom