• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police shoot concussion grenade at DAPL protesters, woman's arm nearly blown off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police denying it.

The sheriff's office suggested in a statement Monday that an explosion heard during the skirmish might have been caused by small propane tanks that authorities said protesters had rigged to explode.

Dallas Goldtooth, a protest organizer with the Indigenous Environmental Network, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday. Wayne Wilansky disputed the claim by authorities, saying "there's multiple witnesses and my daughter, who was completely conscious, said they threw a grenade right at her."

The North Dakota Highway Patrol in a statement Tuesday backed up the sheriff's office's version of events, saying officers during the skirmish spotted protesters with "multiple silver cylinder objects."

"It was at this time an explosion occurred and several protesters ran to the area, pulled a female from under the burned vehicle, and fled the scene," the patrol said.

Officers who investigated found 1-pound propane tanks "including one that appeared to be intentionally punctured," the agency statement said.

apnews.com/7fe0b7af0704467eac22b76244ac1982/Pipeline-protester-seriously-injured;-conflicting-accounts

*Edit: added a bit more from the article.
What a bunch of cocks. Fuck off with that shit.

Police denying it.

The sheriff's office suggested in a statement Monday that an explosion heard during the skirmish might have been caused by small propane tanks that authorities said protesters had rigged to explode.

Dallas Goldtooth, a protest organizer with the Indigenous Environmental Network, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday. Wayne Wilansky disputed the claim by authorities, saying "there's multiple witnesses and my daughter, who was completely conscious, said they threw a grenade right at her."

The North Dakota Highway Patrol in a statement Tuesday backed up the sheriff's office's version of events, saying officers during the skirmish spotted protesters with "multiple silver cylinder objects."

"It was at this time an explosion occurred and several protesters ran to the area, pulled a female from under the burned vehicle, and fled the scene," the patrol said.

Officers who investigated found 1-pound propane tanks "including one that appeared to be intentionally punctured," the agency statement said.

apnews.com/7fe0b7af0704467eac22b76244ac1982/Pipeline-protester-seriously-injured;-conflicting-accounts

*Edit: added a bit more from the article.

And people question why it's hard for others to fully trust the police when a woman is probably going to lose an arm because of the police's gross negligence.

When police are using potentially lethal force against protesters I'm not so sure about that.
Think for a second, what do you think would happen to a protester (and those around him or her) that would open fire on the police. Do you think their changes of "not getting hurt" would go up or down?

Yeah that totally wouldn't escalate the situation at all.

Think about the implications for more than two seconds.

Another tribe stopped the Keystone XL from coming through their reservation with guns a couple years back. No shots fired. Cops and corporations are bullies who only attack the defenseless.

But keep spreading the lie that people are powerless against the state.

Syriel

this is not the same compared that, false equivalency is trash on both sides when used

Yeah... totally the same.
/s

This is bad in its own way but it isn't remotely the same as the widespread and systemic discrimination that befell entire black communities.

Are you guys trying to imply that Native Americans haven't suffered widespread and systemic discrimination across entire communities?

Entire tribes have been killed. Native American discrimination happens to this day. The main difference is that the country at large rarely hears about it.

commedieu

Banned
Can we please not make this blacks vs natives? Come on sons.. it ain't a competition, and if it was, it's not like whoever the winner is would mean fuck all.

This shit shouldn't be happening to human beings in the United states, or anywhere else. People block traffic for shot kids, fuck all is happening for the natives right now besides a both sides argument from Obama, hillary, and everyone else. This is also combined with an organized effort to keep the entire thing quiet via media.

As a human being this shit kills my heart. As a black man, not for one second do I start to do oppression scores.

As a reminder: fuck obama and Hillary. Bernie proves once again he's the only one who gives a damn. The way this has been handled is terrifying. Knowing full well it can happen on anyone that gets in the way of profit.

These animals are out of control. Hiding behind badges and approval that goes straight to the top. This is our country. The saddest part is how these threads barely get any attention.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Think for a second, what do you think would happen to a protester (and those around him or her) that would open fire on the police. Do you think their changes of "not getting hurt" would go up or down?

How is this even relevant other you trying to defend the police?

televator

Regarding this specific situation, I know it's on/near reservation land and that this affects native American communities, but the pipeline's existence and purpose, and the protests against it, aren't specifically about systemic racial discrimination... it's not like with the background story of the segregation era photo that the person posted in the first page.

And no one is denying that native Americans haven't been through the worst. I'm aware that there are also racial connotations, the pipeline's likely negative impact to local communities and that this probably wouldn't be happening if they needed to rip through wealthy Long Island neighborhoods.. but it isn't necessary to force a comparison between a protestor's arm injury and LE's shitty behavior to the history of black civil rights and its iconic imagery. It's a real problem that so much gets reduced to not-well-thought-out comparisons to black history or Hitler/Holocaust.

I don't think the sentiment is focused solely on a woman's blown off arm, but on the whole sum of the actions of authorities throughout the whole ordeal whilst taking into account the entire history of Native and US government interactions. That said, the bloody history of the treatment of natives at the hands of law and military enforcers in this counrty should speak for itself and require no comparison. However I can understand how many people come to rely on such a way to process what they are seeing here and form an opinion on just how wrong this brutal situation is, and seems like a trivial and distracting thing to argue against compared to what is occurring at the moment in real time in North Dakota.

Fox Mulder

I'm honestly surprised they haven't just sent someone into the crowd to shoot at police so they can massacre them.

Maybe it's just more fun to pick off protesters by the dozens and send then to the hospital.

Can we please not make this blacks vs natives? Come on sons.. it ain't a competition, and if it was, it's not like whoever the winner is would mean fuck all.

This shit shouldn't be happening to human beings in the United states, or anywhere else. People block traffic for shot kids, fuck all is happening for the natives right now besides a both sides argument from Obama, hillary, and everyone else. This is also combined with an organized effort to keep the entire thing quiet via media.

As a human being this shit kills my heart. As a black man, not for one second do I start to do oppression scores.

As a reminder: fuck obama and Hillary. Bernie proves once again he's the only one who gives a damn. The way this has been handled is terrifying. Knowing full well it can happen on anyone that gets in the way of profit.

These animals are out of control. Hiding behind badges and approval that goes straight to the top. This is our country. The saddest part is how these threads barely get any attention.

Great post, as always.

This type of treatment, not just for minorities but everyone, is going to get so much worse in the next 4 years.

DR2K

Banned
This is bad in its own way but it isn't remotely the same as the widespread and systemic discrimination that befell entire black communities.

No, it's the exact same. Don't play the my community had it worse card with Native Americans of all people.

Patrick S.

Banned
Fuck Obama, really. People are crying about the potential injustices of a Trump administration while we have this.

Because they can get away with it.

The media doesn't care, Obama doesn't care, clinton doesn't care, trump won't care. Americans don't care.

The guy that shot her probably had an erection. Nothing but paid thugs that get off of beating the shit out of the powerless.

It's just sad and maddening :(

Shiggy

I'm sick of reading topics related to the US as of lately. I seriously consider ignoring news about Trump, racists, police violence etc. as it really negatively affects my mood.

Obama doing nothing on this is something I wish I could be disappointed about, but it's just par for the course unfortunately.

Media attention is necessary to help stop this from happening. But without politicians willing to bring it to light, or outlets pushing it, I can't see how it can be done without violence. And nobody wants it to come to that.

Unicorn

I'm sick of reading topics related to the US as of lately. I seriously consider ignoring news about Trump, racists, police violence etc. as it really negatively affects my mood.
Man it sure sucks people's suffering makes you feel sad. That is certainly more important that you feel happy and others continue to suffer in your ignorance.

Or something.

enemy2k

Personally, I hope every single fucking protestor sues the ever living hell out of the police, state, and pipeline.

Me too. But as is the case too often these days, many of the courts and judges have been captured by the big business interests that the protesters are suffering under. So I'd be worried that suing the living hell out of them won't make it far in the courts and may lead to retaliation.

Dingens

ugh... the US shows its ugly face once again. if anything, this makes it clear where priorities lie in this county. share holders > stake holders, always.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't just sent someone into the crowd to shoot at police so they can massacre them. [...]

don't give them any ideas...

I haven't been able to watch news, been pretty busy, but is this whole pipeline still getting no coverage?

from what I can tell, there is more coverage outside the US than inside...

cj_iwakura

He's obviously not the end all be all for this, but Obama'a silence is maddening.

I love the guy, but this is still very telling about who pulls the strings behind the scenes. If certain people don't want things said, they won't be.

I haven't been able to watch news, been pretty busy, but is this whole pipeline still getting no coverage?

All I ever see on the news is TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP. Christ, and people wonder how he won.

I been very angry with Obama in his second term and this silence just confirms my opinion on him. I really hope they can reroute the pipeline. Also, why is Bernie the only politician talking about this? I'm not expecting most Democrats to be against this, but at least more than just Bernie.
We're post-election now, most of the posturing is over with. Inaction or silence on this now is all we need to know about where our politicians actually stand.

cj_iwakura

You can see this is quite high on CNN's list of priority coverage:

Cx8jDTzUsAAYvvQ.jpg

Even the article doesn't seem too concerned:

Media

The police are apparently saying the water canons were only used to out out fires...

Are they even aware that pictures and videos are all over the Web of...no fires?

The police are apparently saying the water canons were only used to out out fires...

Are they even aware that pictures and videos are all over the Web of...no fires?

Im sure they're aware, they just know that neither the mainstream media nor the politicians are gonna do shit about it.

You can see this is quite high on CNN's list of priority coverage:

Unfortunately, aren't a lot of "top stories" on news sites generated by user clicks / reads / data?

Like, even here we have only two pages on this (100 post pages) :( I mean, there's doesn't seem to be tons of info, so that's reasonable, but still.

How do you get the average person to care? More people distrust the media than ever or exist in echo-chambers. I honestly do not see a path out.

lyrick

pipeline_map_mobile.png

That fucking pipeline goes over so many tributaries to the Missouri that it should be a criminal act to put that thing anywhere near the ground, and that's not even considering the damage that could be done to the Northern Great Plains Aquifer System or any the lakes that are in its path.

I can't wait to kayak through dead zones in the coming years...

Oh, and the Militarization of the Police is disgusting and has continued to lead to horrible abuses to human rights.

wildfire

Banned
I haven't made up my mind on whether or or not the DAPL is a good idea but I'm disturbed and angered by the use of military grade weapons on civilians for situations like this.

There may come a day where citizens lives are threatened but this wasn't the case here.

This is a level of police brutality that should be punished if it can be proven which cops decided bring concussion grenades was ok. If that's not possible the leadership should be fired or punished in some other manner instead.

Patrick S.

Banned
I haven't made up my mind on whether or or not the DAPL is a good idea but I'm disturbed and angered by the use of military grade weapons on civilians for situations like this.

There may come a day where citizens lives are threatened but this wasn't the case here.

This is a level of police brutality that should be punished if it can be proven which cops decided bring concussion grenades was ok. If that's not possible the leadership should be fired or punished in some other manner instead.

This is all straight out of Transmetropolitan :( Transmetropolitan, V for Vendetta... it's all coning true :(

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The police assertion about their water cannon usage is completely contradicted by photographic evidence as seen above, so they have established their willingness to falsify claims here. And the police accusation that protesters were making IEDs with 1lb propane tanks by poking holes in them is absurd since propane tanks don't magically become explosive devices. So given that this girl's arm got blown off *somehow*, her testimony that handheld concussion grenades were being cooked by police so that they would detonate directly into the crowd without warning instead of hitting the ground and giving protesters a chance to disperse...all lines up just fine.

:/

Yeah, and the sad thing is, I bet many of these police, if they looked at their ancestry, would find out that they have some Native Americans in the mix. Yet they're treating the protesters like sub-humans.

I really don't understand Obama's (and Hillary's) stance here. Is he being pressured by a special interest? Surely he can't see what's going on at Standing Rock and have a hard heart about it. And if he's concerned about his legacy, this won't be a good chapter.

Still, it's worth noting that the Obama administration has helped to accelerate the militarization of police. This equipment is now being used to suppress peaceful protest. We saw it during the BLM protests, and we're seeing probably the heaviest use here so far.

Dingens

[...]
The police have an Orwellian disregard for the truth.

nahh... surely those protesters' spirits were on fire! They're just helping them cool down
that's what the media would probably write if they'd cover it in the first place...
The silence somehow makes you wonder what else they don't cover for the same reasons... but hey, free media also means free to not report on things

Yeah, and the sad thing is, I bet many of these police, if they looked at their ancestry, would find out that they have some Native Americans in the mix. Yet they're treating the protesters like sub-humans.[...]

I'm not sure why having a certain ancestry would change anything. Clearly people can be dicks to anybody, even to those closely related.

G-Bus

Banned
What would happen if the protestor armed themselves with "less than lethal" weapons of the same sort.

Fuckin crazy bullshit. Give these people some shield's or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom