• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Accused of Not Crediting a Songwriter’s Cover in Latest TLOU2 Trailer

Andodalf

Banned
Should she be credited? Sure
Compensation for a line of words though?

And lol “I’m heartbroken”, or just broke?

Imagine you dedicate your entire life to something. You move, sell you house. And you finallyhave your big break, a major trailer that will get millions of views uses your rendition of a song!

Only they don’t credit you, and what you worked so hard for is used, but stolen and uncredited. Yeah that’s not a fun time.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Imagine you dedicate your entire life to something. You move, sell you house. And you finallyhave your big break, a major trailer that will get millions of views uses your rendition of a song!

Only they don’t credit you, and what you worked so hard for is used, but stolen and uncredited. Yeah that’s not a fun time.
Worked a whole live for an additional line of text for a song that is someone else’s?
I could understand it if the song was written or texted completely by that artist.

But yes, I agree that credit should be due.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Worked a whole live for an additional line of text for a song that is someone else’s?
I could understand it if the song was written or texted completely by that artist.

But yes, I agree that credit should be due.

ND has admitted they messed up. It might not seem like much, but being credited on something like that would be the crowing achievement of most small time musicians entire careers. The thought of clearly having done work deserving of that, considering they used it, but not getting the credit for it is rough

Kamina

Golden Boy
ND has admitted they messed up. It might not seem like much, but being credited on something like that would be the crowing achievement of most small time musicians entire careers. The thought of clearly having done work deserving of that, considering they used it, but not getting the credit for it is rough
Agreed

Except one problem. They are, or more precisely can by. If you only record same song with same music and same arrangement then you have only copyright of your recording. But when you change arrangement, or melody, or text or anything else you also have copyright for changed parts. Like Johnny Cash Hurt has completetly different arrangement than NIN. You of course still need to pay for copyright owner of original for usage of their part, but they can't simply take your version and sell as their.

No, cover songs can never be deritive. The license for a cover song guarantees that. Also your example doesn't support your argument. The basis for protecting a song is the lyrics and melody. That NIN song has the same lyrics as the original and the melody is substantially similar.

karaveo

Banned
also...

lDxTR83.png

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So yeah they straight up admitted to copying her cover lol

Hopefully they sent some money her way. Kind of bullshit to hire someone to rip her off in the first place but good on them for admitting to it

LordKasual

Banned
I think Naughty Dog just messed up and did a cover of her version without realizing it was an altered version, not just the original.

This is almost certainly what happened. Someone fucked up.

There's no way such a high-profile, first-party studio would make such a stupid ass mistake to get nailed on social media for.

Dodkrake

Banned
Naighty dog stole work from a woman is what I take out of this.

I would love to know how getting a hummm from a cover and then mentioning it was an oversight not crediting is stealing.

She is not owed money nor credits, even though I agree she deserves the credit.

Top Bottom