• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog commits to PC game development as a part of future releases

Andodalf

Banned
In a blog post on their website, ND discussed the development of TLOU part 1 for PC, and how PC development is becoming a increasingly important aspect of their development process, committing for future titles to be there for players using a dualsense controller or a keyboard and mouse. It’s unclear if this means day and date releases for upcoming titles such as Factions 2, but the door is certainly opened

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/celebrating_the_release_of_the_last_of_us_part_i_on_pc

ilxfHDR.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Simultaneous Multiplatform development was one thing first party studios didnt have to worry about. This will undoubtedly cost delays, poor polish, and other issues we see common in multiplatform releases. You cant tell me that RE4 wouldve shipped with all of those issues had it been a single sku release.

At least this means day one PC ports for TLOU3 or whatever they have working on next so that means cheaper games and better performance for us PC gamers.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Cerny didn't account for PS Studios developing for PC from the get go when designing the PS5, all his custom I/O is meaningless if PC and its lower spec variants have to be accounted for too.
Oh well... I'm sure had he known of that strategic shift taking place at the time he would have shifted the PS5 design/BOM more towards XBX aka more TF.

Next Gen is going to be interesting, may be the time to go PC.

3liteDragon

Simultaneous Multiplatform development was one thing first party studios didnt have to worry about. This will undoubtedly cost delays, poor polish, and other issues we see common in multiplatform releases. You cant tell me that RE4 wouldve shipped with all of those issues had it been a single sku release.

At least this means day one PC ports for TLOU3 or whatever they have working on next so that means cheaper games and better performance for us PC gamers.
The port for this was done by Iron Galaxy, it's not like ND's working on both versions. And the only reason the PC version was being worked on at the same time as the console version was because it's a remake of an old game. TLOU2 will be announced in the same fashion, they're most likely working on a PS5 & PC version.
Cerny didn't account for PS Studios developing for PC from the get go when designing the PS5, all his custom I/O is meaningless if PC and its lower spec variants have to be accounted for too.
Oh well... I'm sure had he known of that strategic shift taking place at the time he would have shifted the PS5 design/BOM more towards XBX aka more TF.

Hermen Hulst already said they test PS games first on the PS platform before anywhere else, PS5 will still be the baseline for future current-gen only titles.

Last edited:
If they're committed to sharing their stories on PC then how about releasing the rest of the Uncharted collection.
Maybe they will. I have a feeling that Uncharted 2 at least will get a remake at some point. But I also feel like they won't do that because of the controversy with Amy Hennig. We'll see. I'd embrace it though. It's my favorite game ever made.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Hermen Hulst already said they test PS games first on the PS platform before anywhere else, PS5 will still be the baseline for future current-gen only titles.
Imo, it was evident when they reduced the specs needed for 3rd party SSDs.

Cerny, in his initial road to PS5 demonstration, said that 3rd party SSds would need (i think) 7gb/sec read speeds to compensate for reduced communication lanes that the internal SSD has.

Then Sony reduced the needed speeds massively when it came time to officially support 3rd party SSDs. I think it was because they internally already had the plan to release every PS5 game on PC and not build games based on these high speeds that only a couple % of PC systems could reach... Retooling a game's streaming system to target a broader PC user base has to be a major pain in the ass (one example).

Its all tales from my ass, but I think there is some trueth to it. Strategies change, the market changes.. its all good.

kyliethicc

In a blog post on their website, ND discussed the development of TLOU part 1 for PC, and how PC development is becoming a increasingly important aspect of their development process, committing for future titles to be there for players using a dualsense controller or a keyboard and mouse. It’s unclear if this means day and date releases for upcoming titles such as Factions 2, but the door is certainly opened

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/celebrating_the_release_of_the_last_of_us_part_i_on_pc

ilxfHDR.jpg
no shit

sony has literally said all of their upcoming games will be ported to pc eventually

ReBurn

Gold Member
They won't be day one, except GaaS.
I wouldn't assume that. Holding games hostage to try to force console sales to increase install base doesn't make the same financial sense that it did in prior generations. The best way to maximize early revenues is to release on PC day and date with consoles. It's a better alternative than having to rely on a PS4 version.

3liteDragon

Imo, it was evident when they reduced the specs needed for 3rd party SSDs.

Cerny, in his initial road to PS5 demonstration, said that 3rd party SSds would need (i think) 7gb/sec read speeds to compensate for reduced communication lanes that the internal SSD has.

Then Sony reduced the needed speeds massively when it came time to officially support 3rd party SSDs. I think it was because they internally already had the plan to release every PS5 game on PC and not build games based on these high speeds that only a couple % of PC systems could reach... Retooling a game's streaming system to target a broader PC user base has to be a major pain in the ass (one example).

Its all tales from my ass, but I think there is some trueth to it. Strategies change, the market changes.. its all good.
Yea that's not what happened lol.

Kvally

Banned
I wouldn't assume that. Holding games hostage to try to force console sales to increase install base doesn't make the same financial sense that it did in prior generations. The best way to maximize early revenues is to release on PC day and date with consoles. It's a better alternative than having to rely on a PS4 version.
Well ports used to be 5-7 years later. Then they started to come out around 2 years later. Then they mentioned not seeing ports until at least a year. And now The Last of Us Part 1 PC release is 7-8 months after. GaaS was confirmed day and date for PC. I am seeing a trend where we will most likely see day and date on PC.

3liteDragon

Hermen already said only GaaS is day one, SP games will be ported later. If it didn't make financial sense, then we would be seeing every PS5 title on PC day one, but we aren't.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Did Cerny account for most of the biggest PS5 games to date also releasing on PS4? Because that's what Sony has actually been doing instead of releasing on PC. Seems like developers have a better shot at realizing their vision with a PC version than with a PS4 version.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Hermen already said only GaaS is day one, SP games will be ported later. If it didn't make financial sense, then we would be seeing every PS5 title on PC day one, but we aren't.
Plans can and do change. Sony's financial plan so far has been to backstop with PS4 releases for many of their biggest new releases. What did Hermen say about that?

All I'm saying is that if I had to choose between a day 1 alternate version to be PC or PS4 I'd go with PC.

Goalposts steadily moving in the background by some Sony players. Wonder what it will be now.

I remember “Sony would never put their pristine games on pc” and “Sony games would lose their beauty if they came out games on pc, just lol at Xbox, ps5 has magic that would go to waste”

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
ND discussed the development of TLOU part 1 for PC, and how PC development is becoming a increasingly important aspect of their development process

ND discussed how PC development is becoming increasingly important

PC development is becoming increasingly important

PC increasingly important

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm fine with that but I sure do miss the days when exclusives were actually exclusive for both sony and Microsoft. Now there are no true console exclusives anymore.

Game development has become exponentially more expensive and the PC market is the fastest growing one among the 3, excluding mobile. It makes all the business sense to have your games release there.

Nothing new here, console games are literally being developped from a pc environment and there is sony first party exclusives being released in the last few years (horizon, spider-man, god of war). If you think you'll get them day one on pc though, heh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom