• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog commits to PC game development as a part of future releases

because it's a fucking terrible viewpoint???
Um its actually pretty benign dude. Gamers are so whiney. Whether its 60FPS vs 30FPS, a game failing to live up to their expectations, a game being too cinematic, too woke, too linear, too open. Always so hyperbolic. Nothing is ever just "I disagree and reject that" or "I don't prefer that".

I don't see tv enthusiast losing their minds or crying about shows exclusive to a streaming platform. I don't see film geeks crying and whining about a movie being exclusive to theaters before blu ray and digital. Its fine dude I promise you'll live.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Whats the point of a playstation then? I have a ps5 and a gaming PC and guess which one I have buyers remorse for?

The point of Playstation is to make money. If they can port their games to PC without significantly impacting their hardware/subscription services, then it is an easy business decision. If, like you, too many have buyers remorse, they can always adjust their porting strategies (timing windows, available catalogue). It's why we should all take what Sony has promised with a grain of salt as these first few years of releases are going to give them metrics for market impact. My gut says the windows will shrink due to lack of overlap in player base but it could easily go the opposite direction. Game development and marketing are expensive and love them or hate them, Sony makes some of the most expensive games. It's natural that they'd explore more avenues to revenue which is part of the reason we saw more cross generation support and PC ports. They days of a game selling a million or two units and be considered a success are long gone.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't see tv enthusiast losing their minds or crying about shows exclusive to a streaming platform.
.... they are????
i dont know where you hang around but many people basically turned to piracy because you need to be subbed to so much shit in order to get to watch what you wanna watch
I don't see film geeks crying and whining about a movie being exclusive to theaters before blu ray and digital.
major difference between spending 7-10 dollars on a movie ticket and spending 470-570 dollars on a console for one game....

Um its actually pretty benign dude. Gamers are so whiney. Whether its 60FPS vs 30FPS, a game failing to live up to their expectations, a game being too cinematic, too woke, too linear, too open. Always so hyperbolic. Nothing is ever just "I disagree and reject that" or "I don't prefer that".
more games coming to more platforms is factually, objectively, indisputably a good thing. More options for people to choose from when browsing the Steam Store. There is no argument here

.... they are????
i dont know where you hang around but many people basically turned to piracy because you need to be subbed to so much shit in order to get to watch what you wanna watch

major difference between spending 7-10 dollars on a movie ticket and spending 470-570 dollars on a console for one game....

more games coming to more platforms is factually, objectively, indisputably a good thing. More options for people to choose from when browsing the Steam Store. There is no argument here
No I don't know who YOU hang around because I've never heard such exaggerated vitriol over that. See with most normal well adjusted people the most I've heard is casual statements about their being a lot of different services nowadays and it gets tough to keep up. Do you know what I've never heard? Mental illness insults and tired ass go outside takes from TV people.

Also where tf do you live to where movie tickets are still $7-10 lol

And here you're throwing around words you don't even understand. Im not even a vehement playstation guy or supporting one way or the other. But you have no grasp on what objectively/factually/indisputably mean. You have an opinion, one you're way too passionate about for the subject matter, and you're trying fill in an iron clad impregnable defense because of that. Basically dressing an ego truth as an empirical fact.

Off the top of my head, lets say someone just decides to skip the ps5 or ps6 and get a gaming pc, they lost a sale. Lets says a developer spends more time trying to juggle two versions and it comes out slightly less polished. Lets say they can't push an exclusive as hard technically to account for low spec PC's. Let's say the development cost of the port is higher than the profit if the pc version flops like returnal and they lose money on it.

Last edited:

Vick

Last edited:
SlimySnake SlimySnake

Called it. Say goodbye to "coding to da medal Naughty Gods", and imo rest of Sony First Party as well.

Best looking games from now on are going to be Unreal Engine 5 ones.
Agree. However I'm sure some will push the ps5 to the max and not get ported. Hell there's still no Rift Apart or Demon Souls port. The ps4 gen was able to squeak by with like 8-10 true exclusives. You'll have some.

Last edited:
They’re all franchises born on PC. You think Doom appeared on consoles first? Diablo? Call of Duty? Nope.

Same with Metal Gear. It started life on PC and then appeared on console.

Some console players complain about “their” exclusives coming to PC, while they have no problems with former PC exclusives coming to console.

Metal Gear started on the MSX.

But Doom and Diablo both had console ports shortly after release, especially the latter. Elder Scrolls for example was actually exclusive to PC fully for years. In the case of 1990 era TES, permanently.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

But Doom and Diablo both had console ports shortly after release, especially the latter. Elder Scrolls for example was actually exclusive to PC fully for years. In the case of 1990 era TES, permanently.
The original COD wasn't ported to consoles until 2009, 6 years after it came out. DOOM and Diablo were both exclusives for about a year.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Doesn’t matter. These were all PC centric franchises, created for PC and later ported to a console.

And MSX was a PC.
IMG_7067.jpg

Whats the point of a playstation then? I have a ps5 and a gaming PC and guess which one I have buyers remorse for?

This, along with the lack of E3 and consoles exclusoves and AAA devs not releasing anything is why the industry is losing it's competitive spirit.

If you were born 2000 or later, I dont expect you to understand. You grew up when gaming got worse.
You can say the same for Xbox too. Don’t have a PlayStation then, just have a PC?

Your wrong gaming has only got better.
In 2007 alone, we had

God of war 2
Half life 2 episode 2
Mass effect
Bioshock
Halo 3
Modern warfare
Crysis
Super mario galaxy
Uncharted
Assassins creed 1
Portal
S.t.a.l.k.e.r
Metroid 3

All release within the same year

The following year was arguably just as good.

And you're going to tell me gaming got...better?

If you were born in 2000, you were 6-7 years old and had no idea what the fuck was even going on then.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
In 2007 alone, we had

God of war 2
Half life 2 episode 2
Mass effect
Bioshock
Halo 3
Modern warfare
Crysis
Super mario galaxy
Uncharted
Assassins creed 1
Portal
S.t.a.l.k.e.r
Metroid 3

If you were born in 2000, you were 6-7 years old and had no idea what the fuck was even going on then.
First half of 2007 was rough with motorstorm being the only big hitter from sony for the PS3, but man I LOVED the second half of 2007 even without a 360 which had a shit ton of exclusives. The PS3 had so many great games back to back. Heavenly Sword in August, Warhawk in September, Ratchet in October, then uncharted, modern warfare and AC in november. I wasnt even upset that i couldnt play bioshock, crysis and mass effect. I was just happy to finally have next gen experiences.

Kids who didnt grow up playing games in 2001 and 2007 have no idea how good we had it. Our rough patch was 6 months max. We are in year 3 this gen.

you can sell the PS5 and put the cash towards upgrading your gaming PC or buying more games
🤷‍♂️

some of my first video games were old retro Sega games from the Early 90s. i think i know what golden age video games look like
Fuck the competitive spirit. Make games because you want to make them and make them good, not to show up some other company. Sega made games out of "competition" and they got kicked out of the console industry for it
Uh...no. if we had REAL competitive spirit in the industry we wouldnt have AAA games where the mouths dont move still.

Devs should not only compete but learn from eachother; this is a technological hobby. thats how tech progresses.

We shouldnt still be seeing FEAR as the pinnacle of FPS A.I. every single game should have exceeded it at this point by far.

We shouldnt be having the quests we get from ubisoft and recent bethesda titles when the witcher 3 raised that bar almost 10 years ago

We shouldnt be marveling at physics from old games meanwhile new ones dont even compare.

Etc etc

First half of 2007 was rough with motorstorm being the only big hitter from sony for the PS3, but man I LOVED the second half of 2007 even without a 360 which had a shit ton of exclusives. The PS3 had so many great games back to back. Heavenly Sword in August, Warhawk in September, Ratchet in October, then uncharted, modern warfare and AC in november. I wasnt even upset that i couldnt play bioshock, crysis and mass effect. I was just happy to finally have next gen experiences.

Kids who didnt grow up playing games in 2001 and 2007 have no idea how good we had it. Our rough patch was 6 months max. We are in year 3 this gen.
And not to sound like a boomer, but those kids have opinions now and dictate tge trend of games today lol which i wouldnt have ANY issue with if the industry was getting BETTER like its supposed to and building upon that.

But when you have kids growing up with procedural generation, monetization systems, Mobile F2P models, remakes and dev times taking 10 years. Then yeah, im not surprised FROM games are seen as our best right now to a geberation that doesnt really know what capcom, and team ninja used to do.

When in 2007 a FROM game wouldnt even be hyped in comparison to those titles.

Last edited:
That is a very selfish, self-centered attitude.
Fortunately, Sony and Naughty Dog don't have the same petty attitude as you.
It's been a pretty tough few days for some of our Sony Fanboys cousins, infact this generation has been a bit hard full stop.
We had the dreams of 13tflops crushed. We had the lols of "we believe in generations" we had the myth of SSD power crushed, we had Zenimax buyout, Starfield exclusive to xbox, ABK buyout, Sony embarrassing themselves with the regulators, the regulators starting to turn against them and now Sony doubling down on PC.

We should go a little easy on them.

TxKnight7

Jim Ryan needs to be arrested.

This has gone on too far.

Who does Sony think they are? Xbox?

Bring back crazy ken! $1200 PS5 pro coming, disk drive sold separately for $399 let's go! Ridge Racer and giant enemy crabs return!

#Notmysony #fireJimRyanwithoutseverancepackage

Don't let Jim Ryan homicide our exclusives! Sign the petition at wwwdot lolcopterdotgov to let Congress and the president know.
Yes or no! Jim..yes or no.

Jayjayhd34

In 2007 alone, we had

God of war 2
Half life 2 episode 2
Mass effect
Bioshock
Halo 3
Modern warfare
Crysis
Super mario galaxy
Uncharted
Assassins creed 1
Portal
S.t.a.l.k.e.r
Metroid 3

We had more games but doesn't mean better games. Game mechanics graphics etc have all improved massively yes it's annoying that games take longer to make but still think they've improved over time. Oh and fyi I was born in 93.

Calverz

Generally the game runs fine for me but using headphones for sound is broken. Keep getting all these popping noises.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But when you have kids growing up with procedural generation, monetization systems, Mobile F2P models, remakes and dev times taking 10 years. Then yeah, im not surprised FROM games are seen as our best right now to a geberation that doesnt really know what capcom, and team ninja used to do.

When in 2007 a FROM game wouldnt even be hyped in comparison to those titles.
you are on a forum full of 30 year somethings who grew up in the 90s just like you, not many of the people here are 'kids' like you say. From games are praised because they're good video games with great combat, art design, and stories.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Simultaneous Multiplatform development was one thing first party studios didnt have to worry about. This will undoubtedly cost delays, poor polish, and other issues we see common in multiplatform releases. You cant tell me that RE4 wouldve shipped with all of those issues had it been a single sku release.

At least this means day one PC ports for TLOU3 or whatever they have working on next so that means cheaper games and better performance for us PC gamers.
If next-gen only I don't think it is a big deal, they most likely have bindings for DX/Vulkan anyway, so "porting" won't be much of a problem, it just for the rest of the team to care of the product. Engineering can do it on launch breaks.

If they will target last gen, HDD and shit like that, then RIP

Millions and millions of gamers want nothing to do with gaming on PC. They want to game on consoles.
What about the non-half breed gamers who actually like video games and understand the benefits and experiences from both platforms?

Id hate to see my hobby consumed by the frat bros who wont game on PC. and I gret screwed for owning both all these decades.

But thats what going minstream means I guess.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Mental illness insults and tired ass go outside takes from TV people.
because TV people are less likely to concern troll and fanboy over their favorite streaming service. We assume people who say PS games should stay on playstation are retards who are too attached to their beloved PS5. No one gets that attached to HBO Max or Netflix.

Millions and millions of gamers want nothing to do with gaming on PC. They want to game on consoles.
What about the l non-half breed gamers who actually like video games and understand the benefits and experiences from both platforms?

Id hate to see my hobby consumed by the frat bros who wont game on PC. and I get screwed for owning both all these decades
you are on a forum full of 30 year somethings who grew up in the 90s just like you, not many of the people here are 'kids' like you say. From games are praised because they're good video games with great combat, art design, and stories.
Fine games, but during that year? Would be a cute medium ware title in terms of hype.

Last edited:
Also, I think people just go along with the times and have short term memories. Similar to how hip hop is kinda shittier but alot of 30 somethings will consume anyway and adjust their standards for only whats happening now.

Same thing with gaming

Varteras

Gold Member
It's been a pretty tough few days for some of our Sony Fanboys cousins, infact this generation has been a bit hard full stop.
We had the dreams of 13tflops crushed. We had the lols of "we believe in generations" we had the myth of SSD power crushed, we had Zenimax buyout, Starfield exclusive to xbox, ABK buyout, Sony embarrassing themselves with the regulators, the regulators starting to turn against them and now Sony doubling down on PC.

We should go a little easy on them.

Ooof. Godspeed, soldier. See you when you return!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I don't see tv enthusiast losing their minds or crying about shows exclusive to a streaming platform. I don't see film geeks crying and whining about a movie being exclusive to theaters before blu ray and digital. Its fine dude I promise you'll live.
You see people complain about shows being exclusive to streaming services all the time. You know what you never see - people complaining that a show is on all or multiple streaming services.
"Maverick should have stayed only on Paramount+. It's lost all the magic now you can stream it on Amazon Prime Video"

Last edited:

Puscifer

lmao.You must be living under a rock. The game literally crashes with RT on as soon as the vram goes above your GPU. Literally every time. Everyone even with a 10 GB card is running into it.

I am glad your $1,200 card is running it well though.

On xbox, game shipped with broken controls.

On PS5, game shipped with awful IQ.

RE4 is the poster child for multiplatform games shipping in a poor state.

You mean like, well, every pc game? Usually when you start maxing it out it slows down but if it goes beyond a crash is just normal, that's nothing new.

Approaching max -> slowdown
Surpass -> Crash
Solution -> Reduce settings

A tale as old as time

Last edited:
Top Bottom