• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: PS4 has 5 GB RAM/6 CPU cores available to devs, talks using them

R_Deckard

Interesting, so the Xbox One must use the system ram for these things then?

No the X1 has an 8GB flash Ram in it, most likely for OS updates and such

GDDR has really high latency. People need to remember this when they praise GDDR in the PS4. 200+ cycles to access main RAM is a lot. It's very important for them to use the caches well.

This is so wrong and not anything like the issue it is made out to be, 8Gb-5GB unified ram is a Good Thing, ask ANY dev!

Now that it's official I'm in awe Sony fucked up this much. Shows us the development tools are very bad. Explains the lack of tessellation with displacement mapping, general limited featureset and performance worse than a similar spec'd PC. I'm glad the Ice team is busy getting out the kinks but it's ridiculous a console OS is hampered by bottlenecks. Sony should drop the blind following the blind strategy and unlock an extra core and extra 2GB GDDR5 for games. Who cares what useless features Microsoft might put in their OSs some time in the future. Everyone owning either a PS4 and/or Xbox One also owns a PC and/or tablet.

What?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What is the function of the additional ARM processor? Two cores and 3GB of ram seem like a lot for the what the PS4 OS is doing now.

I'd say the secondary processor's main purpose is to save energy in standby mode, since the APU and main memory can be disabled completely without canceling background downloads.

That's only until they enable the stacked second layer of that chip, though. (trolol)

Nafai1123

Banned
Now that it's official I'm in awe Sony fucked up this much. Shows us the development tools are very bad. Explains the lack of tessellation with displacement mapping, general limited featureset and performance worse than a similar spec'd PC. I'm glad the Ice team is busy getting out the kinks but it's ridiculous a console OS is hampered by bottlenecks. Sony should drop the blind following the blind strategy and unlock an extra core and extra 2GB GDDR5 for games. Who cares what useless features Microsoft might put in their OSs some time in the future. Everyone owning either a PS4 and/or Xbox One also owns a PC and/or tablet.

Da fuck?

TheJerit

shaq-laughing-press-conference-shaq-gifs.gif

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

How did you conclude this from the video? Must have missed something.

Jburton

Banned

Oh dear.

Triple U

Banned
What's was your point with implying the much lower DDR3 cycle count when replying to someone that is talking about the latency having to do with the controller and not GDDR5.

It all depends on frequency, timings, amount of DIMMs, chosen controllers etc.
My point is that due to the obvious differences in the designs of DDR and GDDR that performance is quite different. It's an inherent difference and there's no need to throw a fit over.

I'll give you frequencies/timings but specific hardware differences don't manifest near that much in CAS measurements. As long as it's the same JEDEC standard, you can expect latency in the same ball park, other things being equal. Memory controller performance is largely normalized.

I missed that slide you where referring to. Nevertheless, GDDR5 clocks higher than DDR3, though, so "cycle" != "cycle" when being used as a measure of time.
No matter what the memory is clocked at, the CPUs FSB is what determines what the CPU will read at. PS4/XB1 use identical, somewhat lowish clocked CPUs. Cycles would be identical from the CPU side. The difference lies in what GDDR5 and DD3 does in a cycle.

H6rdc0re

Banned
How did you conclude this from the video? Must have missed something.

Read the thread title and check the first post. 5GB RAM/6 CPU cores available for devs.

3GB and 2 cores reserved for the OS is insane, just in case Microsoft adds a feature in future they want to copy. I don't want Sony to copy non game related shit Microsoft might do. It's game console. It's suppost to play games not do much else. I don't want my games limited because Sony puts a limit on available RAM and CPU cores.

Judging by PS4's worse performance in games compared to a similar spec'd PC we know the development tools have to be a mess. A dedicated game console should run games better than a similar spec'd PC not worse.

Calabi

I dont think we're quite at the point where developers are pushing at limits of not enough ram or cores. We barely have full use of four cores on the pc, and the developers are used to using 512mb of ram.

Its a good way to have it and leave it open for the future if after couple of years they are able to free up some more ram or a core then I'm sure they will. Although by that point I'm sure we will be reaching diminishing returns. One extra core and a portion of memory being returned would likely not make much difference in visuals nor performance.

Top Bottom