• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: PS4 has 5 GB RAM/6 CPU cores available to devs, talks using them

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm going to be so annoyed if Uncharted isn't 1080/60. Not that I really care about that too much, but I'm just tired of people making statements like that. Extremely vague and ultimately meaningless.
If he just posted that on Twitter as a statement alone, i'd agree. What he said there is however only a part of a bigger presentation where he talks about the PS4 hardware (and other things as well). You can see/hear the full statement regarding 1080/60 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f8XdvIO8JxE#t=2546 (starts at about 43:35)

EGM1966

I wonder if the original 4GB PS4 is partly a reason we don't have DLNA etc yet? Maybe they just had to make the OS as streamlined and simple as possible to still leave enough memory for games at that time? (along with the usual 'just get the thing out of the door' pressures)

The current OS reflects that view I'd say. It's pretty streamlined and really only designed around games, social aspect of games and basic media streaming via supported apps. It's pretty barebones and no way should it need 3 GB.

I agree Sony just decided to ship with the OS designed around 4GB and reserve a big chunk of RAM initially until they got a feel for how the XB1 would sell and how big (or not) Kinect and the MS OS proved with customers.

With the PS3 Sony got badly caught with OS allocation and it prevented them improving the OS as well as they could (and of course prevented them adding cross game chat) so I imagine this time they're being cautious. 5GB is plenty for the first wave of games and probably in line with XB1 (which has a much bigger OS footprint right off the bat) and I'm sure we'll see Sony eventually release more to developers while also expanding OS capabilities and building out the broader support beyond games to better media support.

If I had to guess I figure we'll see the PS4 eventually settle with 6GB for developers and 2GB for OS/background functions such as Share.

i-Lo

It is kind of unfortunate how this discussion got derailed into the "ram" reservation zone. It has been known for sometime now and yet it never fails to attract too much attention. Yes, it is perhaps unfortunate but it is what it is and lest we forget these systems' OS change over time.

The focus should have been more or on how ND are ensuring that more performance can be extracted by cutting down on convoluted path to accessing data for processing thereby reducing inefficiency. It will be interesting to see how the next evolution comes about in this area that gets posted for public consumption.

Triple U

Banned
Wow so this thread is literally about the ram confirmation now versus the technical discussion posted in the OP?

Anyway I like how the developer broke down the advantages of migrating to a platform like x86-Jaguar vs a SIMD heavy one like Cell.

R_Deckard

If the PS4 still reserves 2 cores for the OS, then Matt's statement that you can get more out of the PS4's CPU than of the XBO's might imply that the CPU clocks higher than 1.6Ghz. Or the XBO suffers from virtualization overhead on every core, but that's AFAIK unlikely in multi-core systems.

When the PS4 was passed by the FTCC was it not logged to run UPTO 2.6Ghz, so in my head this means that they can use "Blast Processing" at points to help what ever it is they need at the time.

Also I knew the work they created with the SPU's on PS3 would translate directly to mutli-core work..in alot of ways Naughty Dog will be ahead of the curve on true Multi-core CPU work.

And like the PS3 OS the 3Gb allocation will drop I am sure when they streamline the OS, they have secondary processors in this and some Ram so maybe the can squeeze this upto 6/6.5GB to the Game, bearing in mind the DVR stuff has 0 affect on performance.

This is a great find OP, good stuff..cannot wait to see this translate into UC4 visuals, after seeing the Order 1886 I am going to hold on to my socks!

LoveCake

Sony did say in the specs that there are some other custom chips for downloading, uploading & social gameplay,

http://wayback.archive.org/web/2013...4-allows-playing-games-as-theyre-downloading/

Also there is a secondary ARM processor (with separate 256 MB of RAM) to assist with background functions and OS features.

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/539...econdary-arm-processor-and-2-gb-ram-chip.html

I am surprised that there is also a need for 3GB of DDR5 needed for OS & other systems as well, maybe it is just reserved & this amount can be reduced over time.

stryke

When the PS4 was passed by the FTCC was it not logged to run UPTO 2.6Ghz, so in my head this means that they can use "Blast Processing" at points to help what ever it is they need at the time.

That clock speed had nothing to do with the CPU.

Draft

Wow so this thread is literally about the ram confirmation now versus the technical discussion posted in the OP?

Anyway I like how the developer broke down the advantages of migrating to a platform like x86-Jaguar vs a SIMD heavy one like Cell.
Percentage of NeoGAF that actually understands the gobbledygook in the OP: I don't know, 1%? 5% on a good day?

Percentage of NeoGAF that cares about graphics so much they will read the slides from a technical presentation which makes no sense to them just because the slides discuss how graphics are coded: All of them.

Kinyou

Only 60% of the memory allocated to games.... Sony fucking up right and left. Imma about to sell out.

cerny20nlrg.gif

turnbuckle

3GB reserved for the OS. I love my PS4, but I'd think the main menu and navigating / switching between it and a game would be snappier. The Vita's UI, although far less demanding than PS4's, feels a lot quicker.

Holding out some hope that the OS isn't really using close to 3GB and that some of it will be opened up for games down the road.

5 GBs is more than fine for games, really. You could fit the entirety of the PS3 version of Dark Souls 2 just in the ram, for example. Most games aren't even coming close to using 3 gigs of ram as it stands.

i-Lo

5 GBs is more than fine for games, really. You could fit the entirety of the PS3 version of Dark Souls 2 just in the ram, for example. Most games aren't even coming close to using 3 gigs of ram as it stands.

GG showed that they were using about 3072MB of RAM for visuals with the total consumption being around 4GB.

Kinyou

Well the ND guy says that those 5 can be filled up quite easily, so more would obviously be better for them

Log4Girlz

Games treat ram the way gases treat well, any empty container...they will fill all that space quickly.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Size on disc does not take into account any uncompression that needs to be done after that data has been read.

Einbroch

Banned
I find it funny how people are saying these consoles only use X RAM when people were speculating 2GB RAM before the reveal.

spwolf

It is kind of unfortunate how this discussion got derailed into the "ram" reservation zone. It has been known for sometime now and yet it never fails to attract too much attention. Yes, it is perhaps unfortunate but it is what it is and lest we forget these systems' OS change over time.

The focus should have been more or on how ND are ensuring that more performance can be extracted by cutting down on convoluted path to accessing data for processing thereby reducing inefficiency. It will be interesting to see how the next evolution comes about in this area that gets posted for public consumption.

well, title change certainly encourages talk about cores and ram.

skybald

So Gregory is pretty much saying PS4 games should be 1080/60. Probably making the Naughty Dogs sweat because now they need to aim for that goal. I hope they make it.

Pretty sad that this topic is all about RAM avaliable to developers/looking for the ban stick on some insiders instead of the very interesting insight (hiring process/development style/development tricks) of a world-class 1st party developer.

Thanks for the video link.

And Eurogamer said 4.5GB for devs to use.

No body got it right,also this was back in freaking July.

Eurogamer said 4.5GB with 500MB of "flexible" memory that the OS would manage on behalf of the game (but was still 100% for the game and the OS would never use). I never quite understood the flexible memory bit to be honest, but the Eurogamer's rumor perfectly matched what we're hearing now.

TimFL

I forgot about that, but the OS is probably still involved in that process.

There's also future game resume and all of that that must consume their fair share of RAM

I don't see how game resume would have anything to do with the 3GB reserved. Game resume will simply suspend and store the game and OS state in the RAM. If your system is not suspending a game it wont use any of the RAM available.

pooptest

It wouldn't really surprise me if it did go up to/past at least 2Ghz. The A10-4600m (previous gen quad-core APU) can go up to 3.2Ghz and the new quad-core A10-5750m can go up to 3.5GHz. Obviously, quad-core != octa-core, but I'm sure there's a bit of headroom with 2 cores set aside for OS when it's not doing much.

Who knows, really, but it would be nice to...

Duxxy3

3GB is for future proofing. Don't want to end up in a situation, again, where the OS can't be changed. Gives them room to respond to Microsoft on a software level - they missed out on party chat last gen because of ram limitations.

I own an Xbox One and a PS4 and the biggest difference I've noticed between the two machines outside of the games is that one is uber-fast and responsive and the other is clunky and sluggish. Can you guess which is which?

The PS4 is the console that has a slick and speedy interface with the various options, including the Store, all opening instantly. The Xbox One, however, loads all its apps on demand so going from the Home screen, which feels much more chuggy to navigate on the PS4 as well, to an app such as the Store or Internet Explorer requires a 3-5 second wait while it loads (unless it has been loaded previously then it is pretty much instant). I much prefer the PS4's interface for this reason; that and the fact that it is laid out in a logical manner and doesn't require voice-commands to make it usuable!

Anyway, I think the PS4's interface feels quicker because more of its features are held in RAM at once which would explain the 3 GB allocation. Even if I turn my PS4 off rather than into standby mode then on, it boots up far quicker than the Xbox One from the same status.

The PS3 also used a big chunk of the system's 256 MB of system memory (it also had 256 MB of RAM for graphics as well) for the operating system but Sony reduced the footprint over time. I expect the same thing will happen with the PS4. In fact, it has to because at some point the PS4 is going to support new features such as CD playback and custom backgrounds which would require freeing more memory for those.

StevieP

Banned
I find it funny how people are saying these consoles only use X RAM when people were speculating 2GB RAM before the reveal.

The console started its life with 2Gb gddr

It wouldn't really surprise me if it did go up to/past at least 2Ghz. The A10-4600m (previous gen quad-core APU) can go up to 3.2Ghz and the new quad-core A10-5750m can go up to 3.5GHz. Obviously, quad-core != octa-core, but I'm sure there's a bit of headroom with 2 cores set aside for OS when it's not doing much.

Who knows, really, but it would be nice to...

No. Jaguars have much lower limits. The ones in these consoles are 2 quad core modules not an octocore

kiguel182

I don't see how game resume would have anything to do with the 3GB reserved. Game resume will simply suspend and store the game and OS state in the RAM. If your system is not suspending a game it wont use any of the RAM available.

Because of this they have the necessary RAM allocated for it.

The OS in a console can't simply allocate more RAM as needed since then devs would have to consider that. It's not like Windows, at least I don't think it is. The OS uses 3 GB and that's that so devs know exactly what they can use and don't run into any problems due to that. Of course I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

K' Dash

We've known for a long time there are 5GB available fpr games, the news here is how do you use that available memory in the most efficient way possible.

Eh - if you count VRAM usage - games can use above 4 & 5 GB of RAM. And we should count VRAM usage if we're comparing it to consoles, since it's all one pool for them.

TitanFall uses 3GB VRAM on max settings + whatever system memory it uses (I never actually checked system memory usage).
I am not sure if it is true with current drivers but in the past in PC you had to have the textures both in the CPU Ram and in the GPU Ram at the same time to support switching between processes (and clearing the GPU Ram) without crashing. PC games have always required big amounts of main ram for this reason.

x-Lundz-x

Now just imagine if we only got 4 GB of total ram in the system. I'm sure 5GB of ram dedicated to games is more than enough. Look what Naughty Gods did with the 512 megs of ram in the PS3. I'll be waiting patiently for the UC4 reveal.

TimFL

Because of this they have the necessary RAM allocated for it.

The OS in a console can't simply allocate more RAM as needed since then devs would have to consider that. It's not like Windows, at least I don't think it is. The OS uses 3 GB and that's that so devs know exactly what they can use and don't run into any problems due to that. Of course I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

Exactly, the console wont have to allocate more RAM. The suspend & resume feature will effectively be standby with the game stored in the RAM. Look at it like this:

8GB RAM total, ~1-2GB used for the OS, 5GB used for my copy of Killzone currently running. I now go and suspend my console, 6-7GB used (1-2GB OS, 5GB game, maybe a bit more for other things that are required for suspend & resume). If I now resume my game by turning the console on it will be the same 1-2GB & 5GB used.

There is no RAM allocation for the suspend & resume feature when operating the system because there is no need to. It will simply turn off the console into standby while having the stuff stored in the RAM.

On Demand

Banned

I was thinking the same thing. The presentation wasn't about 5gigs of RAM. Why is everybody going crazy over it, that amount is plenty for games. We are coming from only having 512MB.

I think people are making a big deal for nothing.

The thread title shouldn't have been changed either.

Top Bottom