• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: PS4 has 5 GB RAM/6 CPU cores available to devs, talks using them

Toxa

:( no FF quality yet

Akiross.jpg

Square accumulated four SGI Origin 2000 series servers, four Onyx2 systems, and 167 Octane workstations for the film's production. The basic film was rendered at a home-made render farm created by Square in Hawaii. It housed 960 Pentium III-933 MHz workstations.

Each character's base body model was built from more than 100,000 polygons plus more than 300,000 for clothing alone. Each character's model bears 60,000 hairs, each of which were separately and fully animated and rendered

iamvin22

Industry Verified
i was about to call it a night but saw some of the comments in this thread and i am wide awake now ....haha! bring on the comedy ;)

Quasar

That was pretty interesting. Would have liked to have seen more about internal ND tools and their dev processes though.

kartu

Banned
Dear Cthulhu,

WTF does PS4 OS do with 3Gb RAM?!?

How could that work with original plans of 4Gb of total RAM?!?

I'm very confused...

kpaadet

I'd like to see Naughty Dog explain why there's no 1080p60fps games on PS4 that aren't indie or PS3 ports.

You seem to be new to console gaming, most devs that work on consoles target 30fps. It wouldn't matter if there was a Titan in the PS4 the majority of games would still be 30fps, also the PS3 runs some games 1080p60 do you really think the PS4 couldn't match that?

I'd like to see Naughty Dog explain why there's no 1080p60fps games on PS4 that aren't indie or PS3 ports.

Well, they said:

GPU is more than capable of 1080/60, plus parallel processing can provide extra power for physics, cloth simulation, fluids and more.

So it's down to developer priorities and use of parallel processing.

kiguel182

That ram is probably used for streaming and recording, the PS4 does this without any performance hit and interfearing with the games so it's probably included in those 3 gb.

It's true that Windows uses less ram in an idle state but a PC OS can alocate more Ram as needee while a console needs a fixed amount as to not impact games performance. Comparing both OSes is a mute point, it's not the same.

3 gb seems like a safe amount to have fixed for OS uses.

quetz67

Banned
5GB is an awesome lot. PC games start to use more but thats because some people play at insane resolutions where insane texture resolutions make a difference.

at 1080p 5GB should be enough for quite some nice textures that take the 1080p "limitiation" into account.

Altough this becomes less important, I always liked consoles because the first/second party offerings always found an excellent balance between poly count and texture size at the resolutions they supported.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
You seem to be new to console gaming, most devs that work on consoles target 30fps. It wouldn't matter if there was a Titan in the PS4 the majority of games would still be 30fps, also the PS3 runs some games 1080p60 do you really think the PS4 couldn't match that?

lol seriously this. "but let him dream" ;)

Rainy Dog

Plus don't forget that Sony were originally planning 4Gb for the machine. So they would have planned an OS that took max 1GB originally. So I bet this reservation is 'just in case' and there are big amounts sitting unused rigt now.

The flip side of that is because developers were coding based on possibly only 3GB available to them, suddenly having 5GB is just gravy for these first games. So I don't think any games will be limited by the ram yet, and hopefully that amount will increase in time for devs to need it.

Edit: two cores is also a little surprising and I hope one of those gets given back. I had hoped the arm chip and dedicated memory might have helped to limit how many proper CPU cores would need to be reserved.

Absolutely. There's no way the current OS needs more than 2gb. Possibly not even more than 1gb. So there'll definitely be plenty of dormant ram as things stand, yes.

Which might seem like a waste to have up to 2gb doing nothing but, as needs to be understood, once they commit to allocating to games then they can never have it back. Keeping it in reserve whilst games don't really need it until they figure out exacty what features the OS needs to stay future proof is the right thing to do.

DieH@rd

Banned
PS4 not really being able to do 1080p60fps proper makes more sense now. Shame they did this RAM allocation and cheaped out on the CPU.

RAM allocation has nothing to do with 1080p60.

5GB is a lot, and could possibly get expansion after a few years.

Dear Cthulhu,

I'm very confused...

Original OS would have taken 0.5-1GB. New OS has a lot of memory left for future uses, just in case Sony needs it. For example, now they can have enough space for PSCamera to process the 3D possition of VR headset.

:( no FF quality yet

Akiross.jpg

Each character's base body model was built from more than 100,000 polygons plus more than 300,000 for clothing alone. Each character's model bears 60,000 hairs, each of which were separately and fully animated and rendered

"Hero" characters today go between 100k [Order 1886] and 1 million polygons [The Dark Sorcerer] on PS4. :) As for hair, that is really computation heavy.

Most PS4 games are crossgen games designed for old hardware.
What's your point? PS4/Xbone versions of games look and run better than their 7th gen counterparts and visuals always improve dramatically as a generation progresses. Most of the games we have now were rushed out and/or developed on non-final SDKs/hardware.

Also This:

kartu

Banned
Original OS would have taken 0.5-1GB. New OS has a lot of memory left for future uses, just in case Sony needs it. For example, now they can have enough space for PSCamera to process the 3D possition of VR headset.
But that's more of a CPU intensive (if at all) tasks, it hardly needs much RAM.

I hope it is political (to avoid code bloat?) and they will increase amount of ram available to games later on.

fallagin

Dear Cthulhu,

I'm very confused...

Alot of it is probably there as a fallback in case they want to add more features. They'll likely decrease this number over the lifetime of the system to improve resources for games.

It is actually kind of a good thing that it is pretty high, because that allows the OS devs more room for experimentation. They can always lower it later, but after it has been lowered it can never be raised back up or some games wont actually work on the system anymore, and that is a big nono.

The original plans for a 4gb ps4 was probably markedly different from the now 8gb ps4, but software plans are much easier to change than hardware plans and to be honest, the plans probably don't have to change much if you are getting an increase in hardware capability. Or at least you dont have to think about cutting back features, but more about what features to add.

PS4 not really being able to do 1080p60fps proper makes more sense now. Shame they did this RAM allocation and cheaped out on the CPU.

Well this is pretty much a given. If you go beyond the power of a system with assets and post processing that sufficiently tax the system, you wont be able to output a game at 1080p60fps on said system. If I have a dual titan setup and there is a game that taxes it enough, it wont be able to reach 1080p60fps either. You always have to balance performance and the bells and whistles that are present in a game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The original plans for a 4gb ps4 was probably markedly different from the now 8gb ps4, but software plans are much easier to change than hardware plans and to be honest, the plans probably don't have to change much if you are getting an increase in hardware capability. Or at least you dont have to think about cutting back features, but more about what features to add.

I wonder if the original 4GB PS4 is partly a reason we don't have DLNA etc yet? Maybe they just had to make the OS as streamlined and simple as possible to still leave enough memory for games at that time? (along with the usual 'just get the thing out of the door' pressures)

Having 3GB reserved was is obviously for "future proofing" until they know they don't need it, wouldn't be surprised if they decided to reserve that much also because of the XBox One also reserving that much because it is odd that they went from supposedly dedicating 1GB to the OS when they had 4GB of RAM to 3GB when they went up to 8.

That ram is probably used for streaming and recording, the PS4 does this without any performance hit and interfearing with the games so it's probably included in those 3 gb.

I thought that the streaming/recording was handled by the ARM CPU and the dedicated 256MB of RAM it has available.

I wonder if the original 4GB PS4 is partly a reason we don't have DLNA etc yet? Maybe they just had to make the OS as streamlined and simple as possible to still leave enough memory for games at that time? (along with the usual 'just get the thing out of the door' pressures)
Maybe, but I have a feeling it was more likely time constraints combined with politics.

fallagin

I dont think it really has anything to do with the original ram count to be honest. Ps3 was able to do well enough and it had a pretty slim amount of ram in comparison to 4gb. It could be any number of things possibly including difficulty implementing it(I have no clue how hard it is to implement it tbh) or perhaps a willing decision not to implement it(perhaps to boost music unlimited subscriptions?).

Considering practically no game on PC even uses over 4GB of RAM (aside from maybe modded Skyrim), this isn't really a big deal. We are also still at the start of the gen, give it time and that 3GB will go down to <2GB.

5GB is fine for now.

But there isn't much they can do about the 15min recording buffer.

Time constraints yes, politics nah. Why? All their TVs and bluray players have DLNA and mp3 playback.
No idea. Time could be because of impending release date and other features being prioritised. Politics because someone thought pushing dlna down the list of priorities might help drive music unlimited in the interim? We'll never know.

Sean*O

Having 3GB reserved was is obviously for "future proofing" until they know they don't need it, wouldn't be surprised if they decided to reserve that much also because of the XBox One also reserving that much because it is odd that they went from supposedly dedicating 1GB to the OS when they had 4GB of RAM to 3GB when they went up to 8.

I thought that the streaming/recording was handled by the ARM CPU and the dedicated 256MB of RAM it has available.

Right, they are probably keeping it more flexible and PC like, not knowing how the machine may need to adapt to the market. It could just as easily do everything MS could ever implement into Xbone, turn itself into a DVR of sorts, streaming device, central media hub, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if the OS is only using a very small fraction of that 3GB currently.

Also 5 GIG is a lot of RAM relatively speaking. Ten times more than last gen had to play with.

Qassim

Yes, I am not sure if that only applies to a single core running both the hypervisor and the guest OS. I don't know if hypervisors need to occupy CPU time on all cores or if they can run on one core only and schedule the other cores to the different guest OSs without occupying a relevant amount of resources.

As someone running Windows 8.1 Hyper-V on my gaming machine, there have been times where I have left multiple operating systems running in the background without any me noticing in terms of game performance.

I'm talking 2x Windows 2012 Servers & 1x RedHat - been playing games for hours, or even days, then bringing up my Hyper-V console only to realise that these machines have been running all along.

The overhead is super low in terms of CPU on an idle system (but of course it depends on what your guest operating systems are doing). Yes, my 4770k probably does have a decent amount more spare cycles than the CPU in the XB1 but at the same time it's a closed system which they can likely predict and more tightly control resources to minimise the impact.

DBT85

Only 5GB of ram for the games? Well I'm now going to revise my review scores down 2 points per game, because they are now inferior.

I the no this just shows how much BS was being thrown around prerelease and that insiders frankly can't be trusted. Digital foundry said it was 5gb but now you can't even search for the thread because it has been given a stupid name because 'insiders' came up with their own number.

Here you go

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636106

Qassim

Considering practically no game on PC even uses over 4GB of RAM (aside from maybe modded Skyrim), this isn't really a big deal. We are also still at the start of the gen, give it time and that 3GB will go down to <2GB.

5GB is fine for now.

Eh - if you count VRAM usage - games can use above 4 & 5 GB of RAM. And we should count VRAM usage if we're comparing it to consoles, since it's all one pool for them.

TitanFall uses 3GB VRAM on max settings + whatever system memory it uses (I never actually checked system memory usage).

Yoday

I really love how there are people that think there is just some kind of magical configuration that will somehow allow all games to be 1080p60 on a console. It shows a real lack of understanding when it comes to how games are developed. It's sad really.

DieH@rd

Banned

5GB is fine for now.

Install vanilla GTA4 and start playing with the LOD distance slider. Game will visually show you how much VRAM it will need, and can take AS MUCH as you have.

Qassim

I really love how there are people that think there is just some kind of magical configuration that will somehow allow all games to be 1080p60 on a console. It shows a real lack of understanding when it comes to how games are developed. It's sad really.

It's odd that people still don't seem to understand that, especially when it comes to framerate, it's a developers choice rather than a technical limitation regarding 30vs60fps.

I could make a single triangle on a screen run at 5fps on a GTX Titan vs a 3D world run at 500fps on that same GPU. It's all about how developers prioritise their use of resources - many of them prioritise higher graphical fidelity over 60fps - it's really that simple.

When it comes to resolution it's a bit more complicated. Prioritisation of available system resources plays into it, but there are technical limitations that we're still far from getting past that mean it can play a significant role in a decision whether a game is 1080p or not. I suspect a developer will ask themselves the question "Can we get to 1080p and deliver on our other goals that require some of these system resources?" If not - 1080p is usually going to lose out vs those other goals.

On PS4 vs XB1 - I suspect they develop to the weakest system (XB1) because they'll want largely the same experience across both. They'll make sure they reach their primary goals on the Xbox One, which may mean a reduced resolution, and then find that to develop to the same specification as they did on the PS4 - they have some more available resources they can utilise for things like increased resolution, a higher unlocked framerate, better antialiasing, etc.

F-Pina

Jason was awesome.
We were all very happy to have him here in Lisbon at SINFO XXI. The organization did a great job and you could see he was extremely happy to be here and was having fun.

Had the chance to talk with the guy a bit after his talk and he was very humble about his work. He was always praising the team as well. You can really feel that the liberty and process of working at Naughty Dog is very different from other places and the story he told about the recruiting process really makes you see how they get to have such an awesome team working there.

They also got him in a small booth to talk to fans and give autographs and that was great since the students at IST here in Lisbon got a chance to meet him and ask questions directly.

Jason was awesome.
We were all very happy to have him here in Lisbon at SINFO XXI. The organization did a great job and you could see he was extremely happy to be here and was having fun.

Had the chance to talk with the guy a bit after his talk and he was very humble about his work. He was always praising the team as well. You can really feel that the liberty and process of working at Naughty Dog is very different from other places and the story he told about the recruiting process really makes you see how they get to have such an awesome team working there.

They also got him in a small booth to talk to fans and give autographs and that was great since the students at IST here in Lisbon got a chance to meet him and ask questions directly.

Damn, didn't even realize this was here in Portugal lol. Pretty awesome. Thanks for the impressions.

The posts asking for 60 fps for ND's PS4 games make me smile since I'm pretty sure most of those same people would be all over ND if their game isn't the best looking console game ever, not realizing that it would be completely unfair to demand that when they would be competing against games that run at half the frame-rate. They wont win either way.

It's always a matter of compromise of visuals vs performance regardless of the hardware, weird that this still needs to be repeated over and over again.

Why is this a big deal? There isn't a single game on PC yet that requires more than 2GB on the graphics card to do 1080p?

The max amount of Ram you can find on a single graphics card today is 4GB and does 3TF which is way way way overkill for running a game at 1080p.

If we are on the verge of implementing Raytracing Graphics in the next few years then I'd be concerned. But the last time I checked, that requires 16GB of RAM.
You're probably right, it's just that many of us had to wade through months of "8gb DDR 5 lol Xbone" posts and got tired of it. One thing that certain members are good at on GAF is beating a meme to death.

kiguel182

I forgot about that, but the OS is probably still involved in that process.

There's also future game resume and all of that that must consume their fair share of RAM

IvorB

Very interesting read this. Thanks, OP.

One thing is for sure: hearing this talk it’s hard not to feel even more excited about seeing the first Naughty Dog PS4 title. We’ll have to wait and see if the studio’s technomancy will really make the platform sing, but my money is on “yes.”

Lawd in heaven, I can barely wait for the first ND PS4 title. I will just buy it day 1 no matter what type or genre it is, even better if it's Uncharted. "Technomancy" is f**king great word.

Very interesting read this. Thanks, OP.

Lawd in heaven, I can barely wait for the first ND PS4 title. I will just buy it day 1 no matter what type or genre it is, even better if it's Uncharted. "Technomancy" is f**king great word.

We already know it's Uncharted.

Top Bottom