• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: PS4 has 5 GB RAM/6 CPU cores available to devs, talks using them

Pistolero

5 GB is plenty of RAM, imo. That's more than 12 times the initial amout available to developers on the PS3. I'm sure they'll free up some 512 MB to 1 GB down the road, but the current quantity is more than enough.

Neff

I'm not so sure this is the case. 720p video in h.264 format typically uses around 2.5Mb/s, which would only be about 280MB of storage at any given time. I would expect the OS reserve to go down over time without any slowdown or loss of functionality. I suspect they decided to reserve large amount as a safety measure, since RAM usage can always be decreased but can never be increased.

I'm wondering if it's compressed on the fly, and to what level of compression. The footage looks quite good for a stream from an encode. But still, console OSs with integrated multitasking, particularly those including internet-enabled features, coupled with the demands of modern hardware, are very resource intensive. Wii U requires 1gb for in-game Miiverse and high-speed browsing alone, so I can imagine that PS4's needs are at least double that.

Most of the streaming / recording feature is handled by the ARM SoC and it's own memory, of course the feature utilises some of the main RAM but not to the extent that you would have to get rid of the feature or hinder it to be able to claw back RAM reserve.

Interesting. I did not know that.

Still significantly more ram than ps3 and much faster ram than Xbox one . Also if people really want to use the windows Analogy , windows uses 4-5 gigs of ram along with the rest of the programs running so a windows machine with 8 gb ram actually has less than 3 gb for the game which again is less and slower than the ps4. I don't see how 5 gb of available ram is an issue when it's higher than most PCs have and all consoles have

StevieP

Banned
Insiders failed us once again.

Not everyone said 6gb with only 1 reserved core....

Still significantly more ram than ps3 and much faster ram than Xbox one . Also if people really want to use the windows Analogy , windows uses 4-5 gigs of ram along with the rest of the programs running so a windows machine with 8 gb ram actually has less than 3 gb for the game which again is less and slower than the ps4. I don't see how 5 gb of available ram is an issue when it's higher than most PCs have and all consoles have

Are you trying to game while rendering 3d cad?? Otherwise your information is... Incorrect or doesn't correctly reflect how windows actually works and pages things. Try reducing your computer to 1gb and installing 8.1 for a demonstration.

charsace

This article is fan boy fuel. They are taking a small part of a presentation and using it to get clicks. I thought this article was gonna give some real knowledge from ND. Instead it gives some info on multithreaded software engineering that anyone who programs already knows and stuff that anyone with access to a PS4 SDK can probably get.

bes.gen

woah! 3gb of very fast ram reserved sounds like quite a waste actually.

hope sony will manage 6-2 at some point.

and great post btw. i love reading these stuff.

Jburton

Banned
Guess that explains the lack of AF in Thief.

5gb RAM in PS4 vs 5gb RAM + 32mb ESRAM would allow developers to add AF.

Do you understand how clueless that makes you seem.

Amount of RAM has no bearing on AF at all, plus slow DDR3 plus ESRAM is still less bandwidth than the GDDR5 in the PS4 .......... in no scenario does the X1 ever have a better memory setup.

Try harder.

Horp

Have to say I'm amazed with how deep these guys go to take advantage of the system to the max. I think many devs settle for "trying to divide things in multiple threads when it makes sense to do so", but ND are really embracing the multicore aspect fully. I think this will make a huge difference, cause the speed per core really is quite low in the PS4.

Rainy Dog

People really need to understand that they can give that RAM back to developers anytime. Immediately. But they can't take it away once it's allocated to games. Being overly conservative is absolutely the right thing to do at the moment. And you can be sure that there's no game in development that needs anymore than the RAM allocation they've currently got otherwise they'd have what they need.

I'm sure at least a GB of the memory reserve will be freed up for games down the line.

Interesting read anyway. Now show us the games please ND, we're ready.

Damigos

It seems they really know what they are doing. I am no expert of this, i just want to see a gameplay vid downloaded from gamersyde :)

chrislowe

Not sure how the PS4 can allocate 6times the whole memory of the PS3 for just the operatingsystem??.

Where is the bits and bytes going?, It should be doing fine with just 1GB actually.
Even if those 1GB is used for the streaming to twitch etc.

edit : just think if Sony hade gone with the 4GB PS4.. would that mean they would have 1GB for games, and 3GB for OS still? ;)

Gurish

This is so disappointing, PS4 is not exactly a powerhouse to begin with, so taking 3 GB and 2 cores out of developers seems like bad priorities.

I really don't care about features, consoles are not what they used to be :(

No wonder ppl are moving to PC, I've played on consoles for most of my life and i consider a PC as well.

Not sure how the PS4 can allocate 6times the whole memory of the PS3 for just the operatingsystem??.

Where is the bits and bytes going?, It should be doing fine with just 1GB actually.
Even if those 1GB is used for the streaming to twitch etc.

edit : just think if Sony hade gone with the 4GB PS4.. would that mean they would have 1GB for games, and 3GB for OS still? ;)
Multi tasking, game streaming, very quick, PSNow coming soon

meanspartan

5gb of RAM at least for the next couple years should be plenty. I feel like the 1.84 TFLOP GPU would bottle-neck before it needed that much RAM if the game is at least competently optimized.

bes.gen

People really need to understand that they can give that RAM back to developers anytime. Immediately. But they can't take it away once it's allocated to games. Being overly conservative is absolutely the right thing to do at the moment. And you can be sure that there's no game in development that needs anymore than the RAM allocation they've currently got otherwise they'd have what they need.

I'm sure at least a GB of the memory reserve will be freed up for games down the line.

Interesting read anyway. Now show us the games please ND, we're ready.

This. ram allocation for ps3 os got reduced significantly over the years afaik.

KOHIPEET

Wasn't it stated clearly that the OS uses 3 gigs of ram, but 1 of that is some kind of virtual memory that is actually managed by the OS, but is for the game?

So the memory usage seems like this: 5+1 for games, 2 for the OS. Isn't it?

Not everyone said 6gb with only 1 reserved core....

Are you trying to game while rendering 3d cad?? Otherwise your information is... Incorrect or doesn't correctly reflect how windows actually works and pages things. Try reducing your computer to 1gb and installing 8.1 for a demonstration.

1gb on a windows 8.1 will struggle, you would need at least 4 gb for it to perform the most basic idle functions

Wasn't it stated clearly that the OS uses 3 gigs of ram, but 1 of that is some kind of virtual memory that is actually managed by the OS, but is for the game?

So the memory usage seems like this: 5+1 for games, 2 for the OS. Isn't it?

Sony did say that. They said the virtual memory is managed by the OS and IS 100 percent for games. They didn't give an exact number thogh.

furious

Banned
Asking the question, where did it ever say the PS4 CPU runs at 1.6ghz?

Sony UK said:
The PS4, with a clock speed of 8 x 1.6 GHz (or 43X the PS2).

2 + 2 doesn't always = 4 ;)

https://plus.google.com/+sonyuk/posts/eiA6sDQvWwQ

5d5d0ef7-0781-4d59-b107-f01d5cb12e53

EDIT: Using the same Sony Math as in this picture, the PS4 is half a a PS3.

1600Hz (PS4) * 8 Cores / 299Hz (PS2) ~ 43 PS2s
1600Hz (PS4) * 8 / 3200Hz (PS3) * 8 Cores = 0.5 PS3s

Paz

As players why would you care how much RAM is allocated to different aspects of the system?

What if some of the system allocated ram is for doing things that were considered part of the games resource budget previously, but are now unified across all games? What if the RAM is so slow you can never effectively utilize it all let alone more of it? What if etc.

I am making no statements about what's actually happening here, just pointing out how irrelevant speculation can be. When developers start complaining about RAM quantity being a bottleneck you'll know it's an issue, and that's clearly not happening right now, at worst you have people warning that high res assets and large worlds can fill up RAM very quickly so don't assume a large amount of ram means you can ignore optimizations (As stated in the article).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The 5GB available isn't new news. It was clarified by DF in July last year.

The confusion is probably around the difference between Direct Memory and Flexible Memory. ND were talking about how that manage RAM allocation. I'd imagie they were just refereing to the Direct Memory. That is, the chuck of GDDR5 that they have full control over.

As per the articles from July last year, there is also another section of Flexible RAM which is managed by the Linux based OS. Developers wouldn't be able to micro manage RAM allocation if this was handled by the OS.

So yeah, based on what DF said last year, and what ND are saying now, it seems like devs have access to 5GB of Direct RAM. And if no-one contradicts the DF article fro last year, they will also have access to an additional 1GB of OS managed Flexible RAM.

If that's the case, the posts last year from Thuway et al that games have 6GB to play with are accurate.

That seems like a sensible explanation.

Boss Mog

What they were able to do on PS3 with The Last of Us was absolutely insane. I can only imagine what they'll be able to do when they master the PS4.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Skip to midway if you want to see the technical talk, it starts off and has a lot of talk about the culture of Naughty Dog and the versioning system which is cool, and all, but not really super interesting.

That said, it was a really decent talk, quite easy to digest. I'd forgotten all about the PPC/PPE line of IBM processors having really really crappy branch prediction. Not sure why that was notable to me except I had a vague memory of the CPU wars in Apple's early resurrection days (early 2000s when they were making a comeback).

As far as the 5GB we know it will probably grow over time as the OS gets refined and cleaned up. It may be possible to bring it up to 7GB by end of life (with the game polling the OS for more memory and saying "hey, move out the way, this is important).

I agree with the conservative "we might still need more wiggle room" approach for the PS4 OS. Down the road the development team can always free up memory and release a new SDK version stating to developers what changed. Doing the opposite might cause a lot of problems and right now I don't see the need for a drastic improvement of main memory anyways.

I think the main issue in the future will be the that the AMD Jaguar cores are simply rather weak and "plain". I doubt that Sony can free up one of the two cores reserved for the OS and developers will always have to use that extra GPU computing power for non-graphic related tasks to compensate.

dr_rus

Yeah, that's what I got from it. Sony paid for 3 gigs of fast RAM to do mundane, non-gaming tasks.
If Sony would go for 3 GBs of slow RAM for OS they'd pay much more because of two memory pools, more complex system board, inability to free up this RAM for gaming tasks and so on.

What's the difference between a fiber and a thread? Did they just make that term up or is it meaningful?
What is the difference between a thread and a fiber?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
ITT posters think they know how to build a modern console OS.

If both Sony and MS fell that 3GB is needed for a future proofed, modern OS, they would have a far better understanding of the actual requirements than armchair critics.
Do you actually know any better such you could perhaps provide a more detailed breakdown of how all that memory is likely to be _necessary_ for a "modern console OS" or are you just armchair criticizing my armchair criticism? Because we have been discussing these massive new OS memory footprints in modern consoles for at least the last several months and I've never seen a compelling reason for why the footprint should have increased so dramatically. People just keep saying "future-proofing" as a catchall without any definitive roadmap that suggests what needs to be future-proofed. We're only talking the next 3-5 yrs, not decades. It shouldn't be difficult to predict and identify the services needed by device in that time. But nothing significant is ever mentioned that really justifies these kind of reservations.

I think I'm being reasonable here, even for a mere armchair critic - they can have 2GB. That should still be plenty with overhead.

As for your second point, Sony have been pretty clear that the OS the PS4 launched with was just focusing on offering a stable gaming environment. The firmware roadmap will likely be planned out well to the future, with a ton more features being added in latter firmware updates. We're still missing big features like suspend/resume, which in itself could eat up a load of the reserved RAM. Plus they've stated that DLNA functionality is incoming.
My point was that, given the things they seemingly overlooked, _by their own account_, I'm not anticipating anything particularly exciting going on with the roadmap for OS updates. I haven't really been impressed with their OS roadmaps since the original PSP, where they really did do some innovative things for the time and significantly expanded the featureset with most updates.

The most disconcerting thing is that, 3 OSes later, they still have yet to establish a reliable baseline of functionality at the launch of new hardware, building on what has been established by the previous OSes rather than regressing on numerous functions.

ymmv

Banned
3 gig for OS seems excessive. Sony need to optimize.

Sony needs to light a fire under the asses of their PS4 OS programmers. Four months down the line and we've seen no major OS updates, just stability fixes and support for Sony's new PS4 headphones. We're still waiting for support for DLNA, MP3, CD, 3D Blu-Rays, a photo viewer, themes, more customization options, etc.

Sony probably reserved a large portion of the RAM to make sure the OS wouldn't run out of space like it did on the PS3. Once the feature set is complete and optimized, RAM can be given back to developers. Unfortunately the development speed of the PS4 OS is glacial compared to the early days of the PS3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The PS3's OS shrunk immensely and had lots of features added. It will happen again.

Sure, but what on earth are they going to add that needs 3GB? Assuming basic features like DLNA, background audio etc, and even having one app suspended in ram in the background, it can't be anywhere near that much. I suppose if you fully want to use an app in the foreground while leaving your game suspended, you need your foreground OS and anything you do to run in that 3GB. But still..

The biggest memory use I can imagine would be a browser with loads of tabs open, but then you could just dump those tabs if needed and refresh them when in focus.

Sure, but what on earth are they going to add that needs 3GB? Assuming basic features like DLNA, background audio etc, and even having one app suspended in ram in the background, it can't be anywhere near that much.

Doesn't have to be a feature that gets added to "waste" memory. Especially at the start of a development process your code might not be as optimized as it could be. You do things fast to have the OS ready for launch - using methods that use up more memory than necessary. Then you end up with a somehow bloated memory footprint you can reduce over the time. Since the PS4 firmware has still some hiccups and slowdowns I guess this is indeed the case and will get better down the road.

PS4 not really being able to do 1080p60fps proper makes more sense now. Shame they did this RAM allocation and cheaped out on the CPU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Plus don't forget that Sony were originally planning 4Gb for the machine. So they would have planned an OS that took max 1GB originally. So I bet this reservation is 'just in case' and there are big amounts sitting unused rigt now.

The flip side of that is because developers were coding based on possibly only 3GB available to them, suddenly having 5GB is just gravy for these first games. So I don't think any games will be limited by the ram yet, and hopefully that amount will increase in time for devs to need it.

Edit: two cores is also a little surprising and I hope one of those gets given back. I had hoped the arm chip and dedicated memory might have helped to limit how many proper CPU cores would need to be reserved.

Top Bottom