• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: PS4 has 5 GB RAM/6 CPU cores available to devs, talks using them

Wynnebeck

Banned
cerny20nlrg.gif

Lol I haven't seen that gif in forever.

I own an Xbox One and a PS4 and the biggest difference I've noticed between the two machines outside of the games is that one is uber-fast and responsive and the other is clunky and sluggish. Can you guess which is which?

The PS4 is the console that has a slick and speedy interface with the various options, including the Store, all opening instantly. The Xbox One, however, loads all its apps on demand so going from the Home screen, which feels much more chuggy to navigate on the PS4 as well, to an app such as the Store or Internet Explorer requires a 3-5 second wait while it loads (unless it has been loaded previously then it is pretty much instant). I much prefer the PS4's interface for this reason; that and the fact that it is laid out in a logical manner and doesn't require voice-commands to make it usuable!

Anyway, I think the PS4's interface feels quicker because more of its features are held in RAM at once which would explain the 3 GB allocation. Even if I turn my PS4 off rather than into standby mode then on, it boots up far quicker than the Xbox One from the same status.

The PS3 also used a big chunk of the system's 256 MB of system memory (it also had 256 MB of RAM for graphics as well) for the operating system but Sony reduced the footprint over time. I expect the same thing will happen with the PS4. In fact, it has to because at some point the PS4 is going to support new features such as CD playback and custom backgrounds which would require freeing more memory for those.

Having just got my X1 yesterday, I agree. Out of the two, there are pros and cons but on major Pro in my book for the PS4 is everything is fast and zippy. The XB1 has that slow transition to look pretty, that's cool and all but slightly annoying. I hate the way the page swings side to side go get to something instead of just snapping over to it without so much animation.

Saberus

I was thinking the same thing. The presentation wasn't about 5gigs of RAM. Why is everybody going crazy over it, that amount is plenty for games. We are coming from only having 512MB.

I think people are making a big deal for nothing.

The thread title shouldn't have been changed either.

I agree, presentation was not about ram as that amount will change over time but changing the topic to reflect that one element is borderline click bait.

Ethelwulf

Well strictly speaking, in the video he mentions that the PS4 has 'about 5 gigs of RAM' so it could be a bit more
hopefully

LakeEarth

I do love how pressing the home button on the PS4 is so quick. I still use my PS3 regularly, so the difference really stands out. I like how I can stop watching something on Netflix, exit, check out the store, slip in a quick game, and then go back to exactly where I left off on Netflix.

That being said, developers should have the option to force the user to close Netflix (like it does if another game is running) if they want to use that extra memory.

Nice explanation; I always wondered how Naughty Dog got their games to look greater than their last game. What they did on PS3 was phenomenal, and blew me away every-time. Can't wait to see what they do on the PS4 with uncharted.

On Demand

Banned
I agree, presentation was not about ram as that amount will change over time but changing the topic to reflect that one element is borderline click bait.

The title is plain wrong too. They're not talking about RAM and cores, they're talking about their entire development process. To focus just on one small part of the presentation is just silly imo.

IvorB

I do love how pressing the home button on the PS4 is so quick. I still use my PS3 regularly, so the difference really stands out. I like how I can stop watching something on Netflix, exit, check out the store, slip in a quick game, and then go back to exactly where I left off on Netflix.

That being said, developers should have the option to force the user to close Netflix (like it does if another game is running) if they want to use that extra memory.

Have you tried logging in while there is a blu-ray playing? It's slow as a dog. I really hope they can optimise this soon. The face recognition login barely works in that case.

Soi-Fong

Lol I remember the bold predictions of Gaffers who thought we'd be lucky to get 2 GB of ram. Of course, these predictions were made when people thought that the Nextbox would be more powerful than the PS4.

heyf00L

GDDR has really high latency. People need to remember this when they praise GDDR in the PS4. 200+ cycles to access main RAM is a lot. It's very important for them to use the caches well.

TimFL

So what is the additional 256MB of ram from Samsung used for then?

Background related stuff (in combination with the 2nd processor). Copying the bluray content to the HDD (installing), downloading stuff, streaming, standby tasks (downloading etc.).

SONY could free up some more RAM down the road if needed, right now and in the foreseeable future I haven't seen any game that has been really RAM constrained.
I haven't seen any developer crying for more RAM on the PS4 yet either.

nillapuddin

I sent this article to a friend of mine who is a real tech junkie, been in the industry for years.
We game together, but he is highly indifferent to the "Console Wars"

this was his opinion on the info here, (I understand some of these words) and one of his low level understandings on the performance gap as of today

Nilla's Friend said:
: I finally understood something though
: Sony is doing so well in part because they overspeced the console to do GPGPU computing.
: So, Sony is telling devs they expect them to use the GPU for general calculation tasks
: MS is partly providing dedicated Co-Processors for many of those tasks, and also providing cloud processing for high bandwidth latency insensitive tasks
: but as of today, most games aren't doing GPGPU processing, so they have an oversized GPU to use, which means they can hit performance numbers without optimizating
: On XBO they probably don't know how to use all the co-processors yet, so they aren't using them, but since it wasn't designed for GPGPU, there isn't a lot of leftover overhead
: couple that with the fact the games aren't optimized yet, and that explains a good chunk of what seems off to me.
: If they ever start using those co-processors, and/or doing heavy latency insensitive processing up in the cloud, and want to have those same features on PS, they would need to heavily cut into the GPU overhead

right.

.. right?

either way, good on Sony, put together a great box

Background related stuff (in combination with the 2nd processor). Copying the bluray content to the HDD (installing), downloading stuff, streaming, standby tasks (downloading etc.).
Interesting, so the Xbox One must use the system ram for these things then?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I sent this article to a friend of mine who is a real tech junkie, been in the industry for years.

this was his opinion on the info here, (I understand some of these words) and one of his low level understandings on the performance gap as of today

right.

.. right?

Your friend is regurgitating xb1 fan talking points, he doesn't sound indifferent to me.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
GDDR has really high latency. People need to remember this when they praise GDDR in the PS4. 200+ cycles to access main RAM is a lot. It's very important for them to use the caches well.

The 190 cycles refer to cross-module access to the L2 cache, not main RAM. In addition, the latency is dependent on the memory controller setup in GPUs and not inherent to GDDR5.

nillapuddin

Your friend is regurgitating xb1 fan talking points, he doesn't sound indifferent to me.

There are 2 ways to read it, tin foil hat style..

or the way that I see it, Sony out of the box has an easier more streamlined machine, which has made development easier

I dont believe there is anyone that believes launch titles are ever a good benchmark of technology, but there is clearly a larger difference than there should be.

It just helped me understand the differences between the 2 systems, but if its gunna get filled under fanboyism, then Im out. I didnt come to here to "spread the Xbox gospel" just share an interesting opinion on the dichotomy of the systems, post reading the ND article.

TimFL

The current PS4 UI isn't using 3GB of RAM. There's no way. So what's using it?

Nothing. It's reserved RAM for futureproofing. They probably wanted to reserve more RAM than they'd probably need because they can't take away from the RAM they allocated to games later on if they need it. The OS is probably using 0,5-1GB max right now.

Look at it like this: You have 8 rooms in your office, you decide to rent out 5 to other companies but keep 3 for the future (if you want to hire more employees for your own company). If you rent out 7 rooms you are left with 1 room only, what if you want to hire more employees? Out of luck.

I watched the whole presentation.
It's good to see how confident are people at ND.
The only that I don't get is the fact that the guy said it was enough, but people here are complaining.

daveo42

Banned
The current PS4 UI isn't using 3GB of RAM. There's no way. So what's using it?

This had been discussed at length months ago, even though we never had official word from Sony. The additional space is held over for future OS enhancements in the case that it is needed to keep up with demand and features that come down the pipe. Sony didn't reserve any RAM in the PS3 for enhancements and were left without several things available on the 360.

In the future they may be able to shrink that 3GB footprint and allow more access to it for games. At this point, 5GB is a good starting point and I see nothing wrong with that amount for games development, as long as devs utilize it properly and efficiently. We will probably see that mostly from 1st party devs, showing off the actual difference between the GPUs of the X1 and PS4.

Triple U

Banned
The 190 cycles refer to cross-module access to the L2 cache, not main RAM. In addition, the latency is dependent on the memory controller setup in GPUs and not inherent to GDDR5.
It's in the OP, 200+ cycles to read from the main ram pool to the CPU. A perfect read from DDR3 is about 30.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's in the OP, 200+ cycles to read from the main ram pool to the CPU. A perfect read from DDR3 is about 30.
Main memory access is an order of magnitude slower than L2. Source: Intel

Under no circumstance is the difference between L2 and main memory only 10 cycles. Don't be absurd.

daveo42

Banned
Why do I feel that we have been transported back in time? I thought a lot of this was cleared up the last time we went through all this discussion on the PS4's RAM.

Triple U

Banned
Main memory access is an order of magnitude slower than L2. Source: Intel

Under no circumstance is the difference between L2 and main memory only 10 cycles. Don't be absurd.
I'm not following you. It is an order of magnitude as demonstrated by the OP. From the CPU to main ram is 200+ cycles; from L2 to CPU is 20+

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I dont believe there is anyone that believes launch titles are ever a good benchmark of technology, but there is clearly a larger difference than there should be.
Why do you think that? The difference is pretty close to be as predicted by comparing framerates from similarly specced PC configurations.

benny_a

I'm not following you. It is an order of magnitude as demonstrated by the OP. From the CPU to main ram is 200+ cycles; from L2 to CPU is 20+
What's was your point with implying the much lower DDR3 cycle count when replying to someone that is talking about the latency having to do with the controller and not GDDR5.

It all depends on frequency, timings, amount of DIMMs, chosen controllers etc.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I missed that slide you where referring to. Nevertheless, GDDR5 clocks higher than DDR3, though, so "cycle" != "cycle" when being used as a measure of time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

right.

.. right?

not really. Sony has a 'little extra' for GPGPU, but they also have plenty of dedicated silicon for other things just like Xbox one
- video compression/decompression - for remote play/twitch streaming
- ARM + dedicated RAM - for background downloads etc
- dedicated hardware for audio, seems to be similar to what is in the latest AMD cards

Freeman

Banned
Interesting read and presentation, I can't wait to see what ND will do with the PS4. To bad we didn't find out at what seeped the the CPU is clocked.

What is the function of the additional ARM processor? Two cores and 3GB of ram seem like a lot for the what the PS4 OS is doing now.

Jburton

Banned
not really. Sony has a 'little extra' for GPGPU, but they also have plenty of dedicated silicon for other things just like Xbox one
- video compression/decompression - for remote play/twitch streaming
- ARM + dedicated RAM - for background downloads etc
- dedicated hardware for audio, seems to be similar to what is in the latest AMD cards

ARM SOC also has a role in remote play / streaming, in fact I think it is one of its main priorities.

I really hope their comments on 1080p/60 is a hint that they intend to pursue that route with their PS4 projects. Their games already looked so amazing on PS3, that I think even targeting the higher framerate they're going to deliver some incredible results.

benny_a

I really hope their comments on 1080p/60 is a hint that they intend to pursue that route with their PS4 projects. Their games already looked so amazing on PS3, that I think even targeting the higher framerate they're going to deliver some incredible results.
I hope not.

cchum

Interesting read and presentation, I can't wait to see what ND will do with the PS4. To bad we didn't find out at what seeped the the CPU is clocked.

What is the function of the additional ARM processor? Two cores and 3GB of ram seem like a lot for the what the PS4 OS is doing now.

Probably nothing now. Didn't some insiders on here seem convinced it was one CPU reserved? Maybe it's like the ram and more is reserved for "future proofing"

H6rdc0re

Banned
Now that it's official I'm in awe Sony fucked up this much. Shows us the development tools are very bad. Explains the lack of tessellation with displacement mapping, general limited featureset and performance worse than a similar spec'd PC. I'm glad the Ice team is busy getting out the kinks but it's ridiculous a console OS is hampered by bottlenecks. Sony should drop the blind following the blind strategy and unlock an extra core and extra 2GB GDDR5 for games. Who cares what useless features Microsoft might put in their OSs some time in the future. Everyone owning either a PS4 and/or Xbox One also owns a PC and/or tablet.

Top Bottom