• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog's "season pass" for Uncharted 3: Disgusting Ripoff or not?

FyreWulff

This is part of why I've come to hate map packs as paid DLC: it might sound like a good idea in theory, but in practice it mainly serves to fragment the userbase. Those that only play every so often get left out from friends, and those that want to play with random strangers tend to get boned. Valve's approach is best, and it's a shame Microsoft's helped cultivate an environment where this is actively avoided by most companies, and barred from those (VALVE) that do want it to be otherwise.

Although, it might help if you got more maps with each pack! Even if it was just playing with assets for a few quick and easy maps, it'd be a lot easier to rationalize $10 for, well, 10 maps than 3.

Yup. The time before the first map pack drops in a Halo game, everything is amazing. Then the DLC starts coming out, and everyone ends up splintered.

inky

I didn't even get the game due to their fucking online pass in the first place (dislike the practice). Too bad for you guys who got the Season Pass because it does sound like a total afterthought and a rip-off on the level of the SR3 one. Very few DLC has been worthy of your dollars this gen, and it's terrible that you can't even trust guys like ND to deliver on it especially when you are paying them directly almost half of what the original game cost (and trusting them before you even know exactly what you'll get).

I promise you I was just talking about this to a friend just yesterday about how disappointed I was in ND at basically giving old map packs. It was one thing I really disliked about Black Ops map packs but at least it came with new maps.

I mean basically every skin that was in Uncharted 2 was charged for to Uncharted 3:/

jett

D-Member
I promise you I was just talking about this to a friend just yesterday about how disappointed I was in ND at basically giving old map packs. It was one thing I really disliked about Black Ops map packs but at least it came with new maps.

I mean basically every skin that was in Uncharted 2 was charged for to Uncharted 3:/

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, that those DLC skins are also already on the disc, to boot, lolz.

Anyway, yeah definitely lesson learned for me, I actually didn't know much bout this type of DLC before I got it, how hated it is. :p Live and learn I guess. :|

Chinner

Banned
sounds pretty bad to me. luckily uncharted 3 mp was pretty awful compared to uncharted 2, so i didn't feel the need to get it.

gogojira

Sounds like a rip to me. I've done one season pass and unless something crazy happens, I won't be doing it again. My mistake was with Mortal Kombat -- which really isn't the worst offender -- but by the time the last character came out, I wasn't even playing anymore so I never downloaded it.

The other three have basically gone unused, too, and realistically, all I would have downloaded was Rain. So I paid $15 on a "deal" when I could have gotten away with $5.

When I look at the example you've given and shit like Saints Row 3, I just can't imagine a scenario where I buy a season pass again. They have your money, now you have to hope they don't release a bunch of shitty content. And realistically, at least half of it will suck.

Just buy the shit you want to buy when it hits, you'll end up spending less than the discount price.

jimi_dini

2 Donut-Skins are unlockable including Donut-Drake
the other 2 purchasable Donut-Skins were not available in U2 afaik
Also the Killzone Skins were not free in U2 either

sadly no multiplayer unlockable that is unlocked via singleplayer

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's a shame. I feel like the season pass is -- conceptually, at least -- a really solid way of getting more casual people into the habit of downloading new content for already existing games.

plufim

I'll explain to you how the season pass works...

Gears of War Season Pass

= 10000 ppl sign up at (say $30? a season pass) = $300,000 revenue
= 3,000 man hours to deliver maps, skins etc, game design, QC etc

Uncharted 3 Season Pass

= 1000 ppl sign up ($25 a season pass) = $25,000 revenue
= 250 man hours

hmmm lets skimp and upload the old maps and old skins and old art... u don't even need QC.

no one is going to take a loss on extraneous stuff like DLC.

The season pass isn't the ONLY revenue for those DLC though, many people buy them piecemeal.

Season Passes don't need to cover the development of the DLC.

Darkkn

Yeah, i'm really disappointed of ND's dlc offerings. I almost pulled the trigger for Fortune Hunter's Pack, but then i got flashbacks to UC2 and how difficult it was to even play the DLC maps to begin with and so i decided to rather buy stuff piecemeal if they actually deliver good stuff. The skin pack stuff was definitely lazy and the co-op as a 'map pack' is indefensible.

Map packs for games like UC are dumb anyway, because the playerbase is not large enough to be segmented. I bought some of the UC2 maps, but hardly ever got to play them :<

Season passes are stupid. I can't think of one that would have been worth it. I think the worst one so far was the Saints Row 3 thing that released like that one addon that pre-orders got for free anyway.

U2NUMB

As far as season passes go I bought 3 of them this last fall.

Gears 3 - I feel I got a great deal. .the content was very well done and meaty. Even the remakes of maps were seriously updated and adjusted so they felt fresh and new.

Saints Row 3 - While technically I had some fun.. the 3 DLC packs felt like they were each created by 4 people over a long weekend. The effort that went into them was pathetic.. but It was the cheapest Season Pass so far.

Forza 4 - This is a tough one.. I love Turn 10 and want to support them but I really REALLY hate having to pay in game money for cars that I have paid real money for. They delivered a ton of cars and on time each and every month but not much else... so I do regret this one.

Glad I avoided the U3 one but I was close to being suckered into it back at launch.

gogogow

I wanted to get COD Elite. Pay €50 upfront to get monthly DLC. Sounded good to me, until they announced that PS3 players will get everything a month later. Fuck off Activision!

Massa

I'd only ever considering buying a season pass for a multiplayer game that I play for over a hundred hours, and that comes once every two years.

SSReborn

Although I feel like they could have offered better content I personally don't feel ripped off. It wouldn't of hurt though if they continued fortune hunters for one new pack with new maps though.

You know what is a ripoff though? The Socom 4 Pro Pass if you bought that game used.

FStop7

Banned
I wish we had actual journalists who covered gaming, this is exactly the type of thing that a competent journalist could write a quality story about.

The ones we have are too busy carrying water for publishers and calling consumers entitled.

B-b-b-but you guys are just entitled! When develop/publishers put out garbage or use bad business practices you are not supposed to complain! You are supposed to just blindly throw money towards publishers as well because they are so poor and work so hard.

-Silver-

Sounds like a rip to me. I've done one season pass and unless something crazy happens, I won't be doing it again. My mistake was with Mortal Kombat -- which really isn't the worst offender -- but by the time the last character came out, I wasn't even playing anymore so I never downloaded it.

This, to me, is the reason why I'll never buy a season pack. well, that and the fact that they might fill it up with skins and other crap and simply say you're getting a good deal out of it.

I'd say it's pretty damn obvious that they know that most people won't be playing their games long enough to buy all the DLC which is why they create a season pass, so that you'll pay for things you'll never get to play simply because you're hyped about it now.

Season passes are shit. A bunch of useless garbage that segments the online userbase and hurts the overall quality of the multiplayer experience.

Hope this fad dies fast.

I love(d) the season pass for Forza 4. If done right it's a great idea. It doesn't segment shit as long the DLC is offered for everybody, it's just a cheaper price. DLC is inevitable, it's going to happen. I would rather pay a cheaper price for it for a game I know I'll have a good time with (like Forza).

Although this season pass looks like a fucking joke.

But I know there are a few series I would buy one for (GTAV, RDR2, Forza 5, ... ) Although only Forza for those I could see the Season Pass. I don't play enough online to justify the map pack purchases for many games.

Dayum, that is particularly damning.
Not a Season Passer myself, but have admired how well Epic seemed to do it with Gears 3, hope, that if 343I do it, they reach that quality of value.

Massa

B-b-b-but you guys are just entitled! When develop/publishers put out garbage or use bad business practices you are not supposed to complain! You are supposed to just blindly throw money towards publishers as well because they are so poor and work so hard.

This is even worse than what you're attempting to criticize.

see5harp

The only season pass I've bought was the Gears 3 one and I didn't feel that was remotely close to a ripoff. For one, all of the points were free (thanks T-Mobile). The other thing was that I already knew the MP was worth playing and Epic detailed most of what would be included. The campaign stuff was lengthy, the extra Horde mode, and Multiplayer maps were great. I'd expect the same amount of content in a AAA game like Uncharted, but maybe they didn't meet their expected number of buyers for the pass.

-PXG-

In hindsight, the Gears 3 season pass was worth every penny. I definitely feel got a lot of content for what I paid for.

You have to remember that these passes are for dedicated fans and for those who know they'll be keeping and playing the game for a long period of time. It's not for the casual player, the weekend warrior or someone who is gonna stop playing after two weeks.

I like the concept, however it does seem like ND and Sony didn't handle it so well. Hopefully they'll learn from Epic and include more substantial content next time.

Aaron

I wanted to get COD Elite. Pay €50 upfront to get monthly DLC. Sounded good to me, until they announced that PS3 players will get everything a month later. Fuck off Activision!
It sucks, but with no crossplatform play it doesn't matter that much. They've been great content so far, but can't say if they'll keep up that level of quality.

MNC

Buying a season pass that is not included within the original package is no dice. Vote with your money.

test_account

XP-39C²
It isnt a ripoff if they gave what they promised. I'm sure that there are people out there who liked the UC2 maps, and maybe someone never got around to play UC2 as well, so it would be new for them.

But of course, there is always the question about what that it is fair to expect from such a deal.

Dyno

It's still not a good value at all. $60 got you a good SP and a decent MP outting. Padding that experience out for even $25 isn't as good as sinking that money into an entirely new game.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I didn't understand why people would sign on to this when it started happening last year. You're putting way too much faith and trust into a corporation's hands.

Even when I think about games where I would buy most of the big DLC, like an elder scrolls game, you're just as likely to get something like horse armor for "free" as you would some 3 hour quest.

Shambles

At this point you know the major publishers intentions. If you're dumb enough to buy into any of their "pay us multiple times for the same game" models you deserve having your money taken away from you. I hope they keep doing this more and more. You'd think that eventually consumers would grow a brain but at this point I've lost all faith that they could so the pubs might as well take as much advantage of them as possible.

I bought the Gears 3 season pass, and almost immediately I regretted doing so.

It wasn't because the content was lacking. I was just caught up in the hype of the gaming launching, and I liked the campaign a lot, and for the first time I was even sort of enjoying the multiplayer. So I bought in, and then days later was like "Why did I do that?".

At least in the case of Gears I did get a pretty cool single player campaign addition, and I enjoyed that quite a bit. But I still don't think I'll ever commit myself to DLC like that ever again.

rouken

aw man, this is definitely bad practice of a new unproven strategy.

i want a thread where we compare all the games that has season pass dlc and judge who's the worst.

jimi_dini

Yeah I didn't understand why people would sign on to this when it started happening last year. You're putting way too much faith and trust into a corporation's hands.

But Naughty Dog are soooo nice and our friends. Who wouldn't trust them...
lol

snap0212

I don't think it's a ripoff, I think it's not worth the money though. Season Passes were an okay idea in the beginning (lots of content for less money than you'd actually have paid) but since publishers and developers have absolutely no intention of being open about what they do, there's always the chance that you might not get the sweet deal you were hoping for.

Though I think it's disgusting when they just re-use assets and give it to people who were expeting something new. Shows me that they have not a lot of respect for their most supportive fans out there. The only time when I would consider this absolutely okay is when they are upfront about what their DLC plans are. I think that's the main problem with DLC nowadays. Publishers want to hide everything because it would definitely influence their revenue in a negative way.

Its a ripoff for the money.

the season pass is meant to get you this DLC DISCOUNTED. and the value just isn't there. If you bought them all seperated, it would be a greater rip off.

But what's worst about the way they spread the content out, hoping you'll not trade the game in - is that the 1st flashback map pack came so late; that I personally just lost all interest. dragging that shit out. Took 4 months to release all the "DLC".

Brakara

It's not a ripoff. They promised us maps and skins, we got maps and skins.

The amount of content sounds a bit weak, but here's a question for people who play UC3 regularly: would you have bought the individual map packs if there was no season pass? If so, the season pass being cheaper makes it a deal. Maybe not a great deal, but still a deal.

And here's the rub: season passes are only for those who play the game obsessively. Normal people should instead just wait and see.

Lothars

smh at this post, I don't think this is the worst season pass, I think Saints Row the third is the worst but If someone is buying a season pass if you don't think you will play the game for a long time than don't buy the pass.

I think it's safe to say these season pass things are a bad idea.
I don't think it is, if it's a game I know I will keep playing or buying the dlc for normally than I think it's perfectly fine.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The amount of content sounds a bit weak, but here's a question for people who play UC3 regularly: would you have bought the individual map packs if there was no season pass? If so, the season pass being cheaper makes it a deal. Maybe not a great deal, but still a deal.

And here's the rub: season passes are only for those who play the game obsessively. Normal people should instead just wait and see.

I probably wouldn't.

I don't play UC3 anymore, and I still felt like I got my money's worth with the Season Pass.

Brakara

as mentioned, the plan is to get you to not resell.trade your copy in. Key word being wait.

Well, I like that it's spread out. Keeps the game fresh.

I've noticed in Gears 3, for example, that every DLC drop has increased the amount of people playing (sometimes substantially). As someone who plays it regularly, that's a great thing.

Meier

I bought the Season Pass for LA Noire but haven't even finished the regular game yet.. put it down and haven't come back to it. Not even sure if any DLC was released or not?

foxdvd

If I was an artist I would have a picture of different developers on a boat with fishing poles in the water...each pole labeled differently..one called dlc...one called season pass...one called on -isc dlc...one called pre-order swag...and having one comment on the on-disc dlc "I am getting a lot of bites on this one" and another saying while holding the pre-order fishing pole "I got me a big one here!!"

I think it's safe to say these season pass things are a bad idea.

Nope, totally fine with the Forza ones. Seems COD players are pretty happy with theirs too.

It's like ANYTHING, if done right it's a good thing, if done bad ... well, yeah.

The problem is when they have no idea what they are going to put in the DLC and sell the season pass then do a filler with shit like this. I mean, people pay for DLC hoping it's worthwhile. With ND's past I can't blame people for doing it. I wouldn't have done it with SR3 though nor would I do it for a game that is ONLY multiplayer items. But that's just me.

Top Bottom