• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog's "season pass" for Uncharted 3: Disgusting Ripoff or not?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Definitely a rip off.

If we are to believe that this is content planned early on in the game's production (not confusing this with on disc DLC) then surely a much more accurate product description should have been available.

So not only was it a ripoff (like the game itself), it was deceptive and probably closer to flat out lying from naughty dog.

The game was a ripoff?

Mikey Jr.

Yep, your fault for opting in before knowing what you were gonna get.

People in the Gears thread were bitching about how they weren't satisfied with what they got after buying the Season Pass -something that was never going to go away on the marketplace in this case- after buying the season pass early. I put my money down when I know what I'm paying for, I don't have that much faith in any game developer that they will deliver exactly what I personally want. It's highly unlikely, and shouldn't be expected either TBH. Season passes really are for the die hards who will buy anything regardless of what it is if they buy them before the actual content is known.

Holy shit, people complained about the Gears season pass?

Compared to U3's, the Gears one is like fucking Nirvana.

I am linked in the OP, but yeah, I was dissapointed. We got 8 old maps, ok, fine. I'm not going to argue that. But the other 2 map packs that were promised? 1 map pack was a co-op mission. ND said the definition of "map pack" was a broad term, and that in their minds, a co-op mission is counted as a map pack.

Finally we got 4 new maps. Honestly, I expected 8 new maps at the least.

The whole season pass thing really just soured me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just wondering if these developers are really obligated to anything with these season passes?

For instance let's say a developer verbally promises four DLC packs in a season pass, but the game doesn't perform as well as they had hoped. Could they toss in some old content for say the first couple dlc packs, and then just walk away without delivering a third or fourth?

In this day and age of greedy developers and publishers it wouldn't suprise me.

King_Moc

Banned
Sounds like a ripoff to me.

I don't understand why gamers allow publishers to sell them a previous games maps all over again. Don't you already own it? What is it they keep telling me about the 'ownership of digital content'? Is the new look given to these maps just so it seems like the cost may be justified?

Someone will probably moan about me being 'anti-dlc', but just to clarify, i've been mainly fine with what Epic have done with Gears.

Massa

Sounds like a ripoff to me.

I don't understand why gamers allow publishers to sell them a previous games maps all over again. Don't you already own it? What is it they keep telling me about the 'ownership of digital content'? Is the new look given to these maps just so it seems like the cost may be justified?

Someone will probably moan about me being 'anti-dlc', but just to clarify, i've been mainly fine with what Epic have done with Gears.

Porting those maps to a new game with different game modes, balance and abilities and reworked engine is not the same as just giving it a new look, but even disregarding that: if the maps were exactly the same and ND didn't have to do a minute of work to get them working under Uncharted 3, it's still their work and their maps to sell in any way that they want, for any game that they want.

If you own a copy of Uncharted 2 you have the right to play those maps in Uncharted 2 and nothing else. As a consumer you have the right to not want to play these maps again and simply not buy them.

Yeah, that's hilarious. Let's put time and effort into remaking old content then not charge people for it.

I'd love for Square to do that with FF7!

You have a point for some of the remakes, where they went from being covered in snow, to it being the middle of summer. It would require new models, textures etc. Some of the "remade" maps though are literally, ohh it was night time and now its day time. Ohh it was raining before now it's not. It's not really stuff that would have taken long to do.

The fort co-op was the absolute worst of it. Super short co-op, with characters no one wants to play as, and re-uses almost exactly a map from UC1.

Super shitty DLC. Really disappointed in ND with both the online pass bullshit and this.

I forgot LA Noire even had a Season Pass. It was $10 (so you got all the content for 50% off), and since they were cases that were originally part of the main game their production values were just as high. Should that content have been there from the start? Probably, but it didn't seem too malicious on Rockstar's part. Maybe the cases were unfinished and it took those few extra months to get them out the door, I don't know.

Andrefpvs

I definitely feel ripped off. If I knew what I know today about the content I got, I'd never have purchased the Fortune Hunters' membership.

I even preferred Uncharted 2's DLC because at least those came with new little objectives to do in the entire multiplayer.

BeeDog

In comparison with the GeOW3 pass, it pales hard, but I don't find it offensively bad as some other members. Unfortunately for me, I bought the pass thinking I'd get some serious mileage out of it, but I'm pretty much completely out of the multiplayer gaming loop as of late.

kuYuri

I bought the LA Noire season pass and I didn't feel ripped off at all. Also, I'm almost positive that we knew exactly what we were getting upfront. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

The only other season pass I got was Call of Duty Elite and the only reason I got that is because I got it for over 50% off and it's already paid for itself.

I paid 25 bucks for 12 or so maps, a bunch of skins, some avatars, a co-op campaign with new voice acting, a new co-op difficulty with new enemy variety.

What's to hate? Old maps are ok by me. What game hasn't released old maps?

Basch

Someone has to support these expensive ass games ya guys want!

This. I'm happy to support good devs when I can. I don't agree with outrageous prices. But even if I don't like the odd dlc, I consider it more worthwhile investing in a good company than picking up a game from the bargain bin (which are generally mediocre, of course there are exceptions). Some games aren't even worth a $20 price tag. This is one of the last things I'd complain about.

Maps should be free, it would be a steal even if the maps were new and great. It divides the user base and fucks up the match making. The only things that should be purchasable in this kind of multiplayer modes are costemic changes (like hats and skins) or XP points.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
VG companies (or any) are not your friend. If they can squeeze out a little extra cash from you, they will.

King_Moc

Banned
Porting those maps to a new game with different game modes, balance and abilities and reworked engine is not the same as just giving it a new look, but even disregarding that: if the maps were exactly the same and ND didn't have to do a minute of work to get them working under Uncharted 3, it's still their work and their maps to sell in any way that they want, for any game that they want.

If you own a copy of Uncharted 2 you have the right to play those maps in Uncharted 2 and nothing else. As a consumer you have the right to not want to play these maps again and simply not buy them.

Companies seem to charge the same for the old maps as the new ones. Or at least bundle them together so you have no choice. All this does is fragment the online playerbase.

All this stuff used to be free, and still is with a lot of games. Even Gears 2 gave you 5 old maps completely free of charge.

All season passes are rip offs. You have no idea what you are getting. I would be so mad if I purchased a Saints Row: The Third season pass.

JB1981

Epic delivered the goods AND supports dedicated servers and they are not even a first party studio. Gears season pass was $10 more though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This. I'm happy to support good devs when I can. I don't agree with outrageous prices. But even if I don't like the odd dlc, I consider it more worthwhile investing in a good company than picking up a game from the bargain bin (which are generally mediocre, of course there are exceptions). Some games aren't even worth a $20 price tag. This is one of the last things I'd complain about.

This isn't a fucking charity.

Brakara

the gears season pass was bad because the dlc packs have been half price since

No, they have not been half priced ever, although 2 of the 4 DLCs have had 33% sales (Horde pack twice and Raam's Shadow once). But the season pass itself is 33% off buying all 4 DLCs individually, so you wouldn't have saved anything by buying those 2 DLCs on sale.

Now, the season pass was on sale (25% off) on December 30, and that was a great deal for those who picked it up then.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Nobody should be charging for remakes of existing content, especially when that content is already available on the same console.

But it's often hilarious when fans say stuff like,

"Remake (map title) please! It was my favourite map from (game title) (sequel numbering)!"

I'll admit I've done it in the past.

Fans wouldn't be asking for remade maps if the previous content released same gen was compatible which it should be. Only new maps should require purchasing. Tiger Woods is notorious for this with courses released each year.

As for season passes, I'm not falling for anyones marketing. Although, Epic did have a good batch of stuff in their Season Pass and one that really made it look like it was worthy of a purchase. But for each good one is a bad one. Tit for tat. Ying and Yang.

BHK3

Banned
How bad was the LA Noire pass?

I'm glad I never bought the season pass, I smelled bullshit the second they said they were making 2 flashback map packs at launch.

Card Boy

Banned
How bad was the LA Noire pass?

I'm glad I never bought the season pass, I smelled bullshit the second they said they were making 2 flashback map packs at launch.

It was $10 for pre-ordering IIRC, and $15 regularly and has being on sale heaps of times and is included in the Complete Edition of LA Noire.

I thought it was worth it, you got 4 cases and 3 suits. It was nice and cheap, so I didn't complain.

I was going to buy the season pass for Uncharted 3, as I put a lot of time into Uncharted 2's multiplayer. However, Uncharted 3 is just missing... something. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it was just off. Good thing I never dropped down on it.

Gears 3 however, was a great buy, even if I stopped playing a little while after the 3rd pack came out.

I think it's shitty that they didn't announce what the dlc was going to be... but I absolutely love the uc2 maps (and co-op) so I would have bought each individually. So it wasn't a ripoff for me, I saved money and I'm happy. I do acknowledge that I'm in the minority though.

At $10 a pop the only question you need to ask is whether you would have bought 3 of the 4 packs separately. If yes, the fortune hunters club was a good thing... if no, you got ripped off. But in either case them not outlining what the dlc was is misleading.

I was going to buy the season pass for Uncharted 3, as I put a lot of time into Uncharted 2's multiplayer. However, Uncharted 3 is just missing... something. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it was just off. Good thing I never dropped down on it.

Gears 3 however, was a great buy, even if I stopped playing a little while after the 3rd pack came out.

If you haven't played it online in a while check it out. It's a much different game than it was at launch. Spray and pray and punch doesn't work at all anymore. They brought the gun game back :)

Joni

Nobody is stopping them from playing the original Uncharted games with those maps.

And OP has now learned his lesson. Don't buy something when you have no clue on what you're getting.

Top Bottom