• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog's "season pass" for Uncharted 3: Disgusting Ripoff or not?

chiablo

Interestingly, I think the only time a "season pass" makes sense is with fighting games.

Imagine if Capcom had done a season pass with Street Fighter X Tekken. For $30, you get access to all of the on-disc DLC fighters and they are released every other week. That would have fixed the nonsense they are currently dealing with and a new fighter periodically makes complete sense.

Being sold unknown future content... I don't think I'll ever bite.

foxdvd

I guess I am an artist...

swagcd.jpg

my main concern is that they consider the accesories of KZ a pack, and also the coop map of the fort as a map pack. I liked the maps, even if not new, with a new setting and so on. It's not as basic as changing a texture as some may think. However, having the last DLC as new maps, and more DLC completely new maps as out-of-FHC... is a bit wrong.

Omikaru

Interestingly, I think the only time a "season pass" makes sense is with fighting games.

Imagine if Capcom had done a season pass with Street Fighter X Tekken. For $30, you get access to all of the on-disc DLC fighters and they are released every other week. That would have fixed the nonsense they are currently dealing with and a new fighter periodically makes complete sense.

Being sold unknown future content... I don't think I'll ever bite.

Well, you've just opened that can of worms. I'm not paying $30 to have content already on the disc drip-fed to me over the course of a few weeks/months.

Not a fucking chance.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This is why I have been holding off on season passes. I need a really clear outline of exactly what content I am getting before I drop money. The MW3 team actually did a pretty good job of this: http://www.callofduty.com/contentcalendar

I did recently pick up the SR3 pass for 10$ and I think I'm ok with paying 3$ for each of these mission packs.

the gears season pass was bad because the dlc packs have been half price since, buying them separate with only a few months wait for the content equals to be a hell of a lot cheaper.

I will only buy a season pass if I know exactly what I will be getting and if I think it's worth it, "4 map packs" could be anything, as exampled in the OP post...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sounds pretty awful. I just finished Uncharted 3 and found it to be pretty soul crushingly bad so this seems like another rotten notch on ND's track record.

I'm not really sure how to feel about season passes. One of the reasons I stopped playing multiplayer console games is because of their tendency to heavily fragment the user base with DLC. At least season passes are an easier way to keep more people on the same page, but the danger of stuff not panning out like this is always going to be a reality.

Thing is, the FHC (season pass) was available until not long ago, I think just before april. The fun of the matter is that buying the season pass late was more rewarding than buying it at first. People expected it to be a deal, not a "pack" of DLCs that would stay online for 5 months. So buying it once it was expiring let you know exactly what you were buying, at the price of a pack.

I would definitely feel a bit scammed, but since I won a copy of U3 here at gaf, I really won't complain about it.

Buying DLC in which you have no idea what the content is except bullshit promises? You're asking to get screwed
isn't pretty much the whole industry about the promise of a developer based on their track record? I mean, unless you take reviewer's word as the promise... which may be even worse sometimes.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think it is, if it's a game I know I will keep playing or buying the dlc for normally than I think it's perfectly fine.

Jett mentioned the problem with that logic in the OP

Two of those four map packs? Old maps from Uncharted 2 with a new coat of paint.
Third map pack? Not a map pack at all. A single co-op mission with 100% reused assets from Uncharted 1, not actual new content either. Yes, they're considering this shit a map pack.
Fourth map pack? Four new maps at last.

So four new maps for $25

He figured he was going to buy the DLC anyway and he ended up getting rehashes and single mission co-op stuff. Never assume beforehand that you're going to get what you think you'll end up getting. This is just the newest way for publishers to scam money out of customers by using the least amount of effort possible. If they announce the old maps before releasing them like normal then a lot of people might go "but I don't want to pay for old shit again!" and not buy it, but if they're suckered into paying for a season pass on the pretenses that they're getting lots of new stuff then publishers have already made money they weren't going to make before.

He figured he was going to buy the DLC anyway and he ended up getting rehashes and single mission co-op stuff. Never assume beforehand that you're going to get what you think you'll end up getting. This is just the newest way for publishers to scam money out of customers by using the least amount of effort possible.

exactly. It SHOULD mean: Ok, we already have this whole lot of safe money so we can risk resources on making an awesome map pack.

But they seem to take it as: good, we gathered this amount of money, now let's play it safe anyways since we're already in profit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Would you people consider this a ripoff? Grounds for demanding a refund?

Refund? With season passes you're rolling the dice, and it's a big reason why I think gamers are foolish for buying them.

It's a huge win for developers since they rake in a bunch of cash up front, without having to deliver anything but a promise of content. Whether or not it's actual new content, or something you even like is all part of the gamble, and it looks like Uncharted is the first example of gamers losing out on this gamble.

Well, actually the Saint's Row Season pass looks to have been bullshit as well. When will you people learn?

Lothars

He figured he was going to buy the DLC anyway and he ended up getting rehashes and single mission co-op stuff. Never assume beforehand that you're going to get what you think you'll end up getting. This is just the newest way for publishers to scam money out of customers by using the least amount of effort possible.
I got burned with it from the Saints Row season pass but I also didn't get burned by it on the MK, La Noire, Gears 3 and Forza 4 season passes.

I think you just have to look at each game individually and see if I would buy the content for it or not.

BibiMaghoo

This is the very reason I would never buy an season pass. Every game that has ever used one releases content that I simply would not buy. I do not do 'character skins' for money, I think that is such a ripp off. Character skins should be free in games.

Most games have DLC that I do not consider worth it at all. Unless you like to grab everything going for a title, I would stay away from the passes.

Not sure I agree that giving new maps from the previous games is unfair though. The mechanics of the new games tend to be different, and people may want to experience that on the older maps with a shiny new paint job. I don't think it's a bad thing, especially if those old maps were popular.

I would rather play the newer games with maps both new and old, than have to switch back to the old game to play certain maps. When I look at it that way, it's not a bad thing at all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You'll never get a refund, but this is why opting in for season passes are stupid. No offense. =/
Yep, your fault for opting in before knowing what you were gonna get.

People in the Gears thread were bitching about how they weren't satisfied with what they got after buying the Season Pass -something that was never going to go away on the marketplace in this case- after buying the season pass early. I put my money down when I know what I'm paying for, I don't have that much faith in any game developer that they will deliver exactly what I personally want. It's highly unlikely, and shouldn't be expected either TBH. Season passes really are for the die hards who will buy anything regardless of what it is if they buy them before the actual content is known.

vazel

Banned
I regret buying not just the season pass but also the game itself. Very disappointing product all around from Naughty Dog.

If they're vague about what you're getting, don't put down any money. I received a store gift card during winter break and ended up picking it up even after much bitching about it previously, ended up not playing much of the multiplayer. I learned my lesson.

Grisby

That does sounds shitty. Looking back on the Gears 3 one I'd have to say I've been happy with it overall, even if I was a bit disappointed by it at the beginning.

I feel its been a pretty good mix between the old and new.

Dysun

Very rarely does a game hold my attention for longer than a month or two. I would never plunk down money for future content that I will probably not even touch.
I guess I have gamer ADD

I don't think many people expected Naughty Dog to do the screwing over while Activision doing it right with CoD.
Naughty Dog said it themselves that they were done with UC3 when it shipped and they were moving on. They had another small group work in it, that was the red flag right there

Point is, unless they specifically say EXACTLY what they are releasing you are taking a major risk with DLC season pass

Mrbob

Buying DLC in which you have no idea what the content is except bullshit promises? You're asking to get screwed

True, but if companies think they can continue this trend they might want to think otherwise. People are going to be skeptical of Naughty Dog season passes for their future games now until they prove themselves.

True, but if companies think they can continue this trend they might want to think otherwise. People are going to be skeptical of Naughty Dog season passes for their future games now until they prove themselves.
we can even go as far as saying people are gonna be skeptical about their next game overall.

not saying u3 was a letdown for me, but for many who expected extras aside from the core game, it was.Normally ND really shine on their third installment of a series. It just seems 2 was the real deal this time.

we can even go as far as saying people are gonna be skeptical about their next game overall.

not saying u3 was a letdown for me, but for many who expected extras aside from the core game, it was.Normally ND really shine on their third installment of a series. It just seems 2 was the real deal this time.

I was shocked there were no SP extras like the previous two games

TripOpt55

I am disappointed that there wasn't a fourth map pack in this deal instead of the co-op map (or along with it). I figured when they said four map packs, we'd get two new map packs (I was expecting the two flashback ones). But only getting the one new pack was kind of lame. I would have bought all the maps anyway, so I think I saved money with this deal anyway and got some skins, but I am disappointed there was not another full new map pack.

Epic had a plan of what they were releasing and when it would drop when they introduced their season pass, all the people who copied the idea had no idea what they had coming and thus had no idea how much their content would be worth in the end.

Greed does funny things.

How can you knowingly buy something sight unseen and then try and claim you were decieved or ripped off?

You can.

1. They said 4 map packs. They tagged a coop adventure map as a "map pack". False advertisement.
2. Apparently, it was advertised in a certain period to include all the multiplayer content that would be released. False advertisement.
3. Model packs. Apparently two accesories count as a model pack. False advertisement. (not sure about this one totally, I remember reading it but I could be wrong).

Debatable..."old maps with a new coat of paint" are still maps, that's arbitrary.

And standard map packs are $15, so it doesnt seem like you got ripped off. You got a standard new map pack for $15 (the 4th one), and then a lot of other stuff for the other $10 (the two old levels map packs plus the coop level)...

I didn't buy one, and my main gripe is that only a handful of the maps are new. Reskinned maps aren't as exciting as new ones. A mix is fine, but total reskins? No. Quality over quantity.

Especially when a good portion of those maps still have the original issues.
Don't even get me started on skins.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was shocked there were no SP extras like the previous two games

ND said something about how they were too difficult to program into the game. I think it's more likely that there wasn't enough time, considering how rushed the game appears to be almost across the board.

zlatko

Banned
That's why I stear clear of season passes for now. Unless the developer wants to tell me up front exactly what I will get, then I just pick and choose the DLC and I know it'll come out cheaper than the pass.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Its a ripoff for the money.

the season pass is meant to get you this DLC DISCOUNTED. and the value just isn't there. If you bought them all seperated, it would be a greater rip off.

But what's worst about the way they spread the content out, hoping you'll not trade the game in - is that the 1st flashback map pack came so late; that I personally just lost all interest. dragging that shit out. Took 4 months to release all the "DLC".

This. By the time it came out I had already moved on and stopped caring. I learned my lesson, never again.

ND said something about how they were too difficult to program into the game. I think it's more likely that there wasn't enough time, considering how rushed the game appears to be almost across the board.
Basically they ran out of time and they said they wouldn't bother patching it in later

Kills the replay of the game for me

AwShucks

Nobody should be charging for remakes of existing content, especially when that content is already available on the same console.

Yeah, that's hilarious. Let's put time and effort into remaking old content then not charge people for it.

I'd love for Square to do that with FF7!

inky

I'd love for Square to do that with FF7!

Yeah, because remaking old maps from a previous game that uses the same engine is the same thing as remaking a PS1 game. I don't think it should be free, but it isn't the same thing as brand new maps. Not by a long shot.

Top Bottom