• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
OK, so I saw this bit of Miyazaki genius today for the first time (Disney DVD).

Stunned.

Very interested in the manga now, which is surprising, since I've never really been prone to give an arse about comics of any kind.

How many are there total, and which (if any) are available in English.

Please, I must know.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
yes, naussica is the most underrated miyazaki film and i believe is easily his best.

its in my top 10 thats for sure.

Mejilan

Thank you. Google was totally useless. Hmmm. So, there are 7 '2nd edition' english volumes there. Is that all of them?

What are those 2 PC (Perfect Collection) volumes? They don't seem to have all of those. :(

Memles

Disney, where the hell is my Miyazaki Box Set with like 3 of them for $45? I'm not paying $25 each, but really want to see them. Sigh...guess it's rental time when I get back home.

Chrono

Banned
Mejilan said:
Thank you. Google was totally useless. Hmmm. So, there are 7 '2nd edition' english volumes there. Is that all of them?

What are those 2 PC (Perfect Collection) volumes? They don't seem to have all of those. :(

Forget about those perfect collections, I think those are the old volumes. The new ones (2nd edition) are not flipped (they read right-to-left like most manga) and are superior I think. I just asked around and it seems 7 is the last volume so the series is complete.

Mejilan

Wonderful! Thank you for the effort.

Now, how much of a trick would it be to scanning these into a PSP or iPod photo compatible format?

I'm a little confused, I thought there were 5 volumes total under Viz's "Perfect Collection" but Animenetworks lists 4 tankoubon and Viz now listing 7 volumes... what gives?

Asbel

There has been 3 full english 'collected' releases of the Nausicaa manga. The first two are out of print. The 'Perfect Collection' was the 2nd print, with 5 vols total. The newest (3rd) print is the best with 7 vols total (bigger pages, unflipped). The anime covers about a 1/4 of the manga so if you loved the anime, this could likely be one of the best story you've ever read. There are quite a few great characters in the manga that didn't make the anime.

edit: make that 4 full release, i forgot viz initially released nausicaa in comic book format.
http://nausicaa.net/miyazaki/manga/nausicaaworld.html#us

Mejilan

Asbel said:
There has been 3 full english 'collected' releases of the Nausicaa manga. The first two are out of print. The 'Perfect Collection' was the 2nd print, with 5 vols total. The newest (3rd) print is the best with 7 vols total (bigger pages, unflipped). The anime covers about a 1/4 of the manga so if you loved the anime, this could likely be one of the best story you've ever read. There are quite a few great characters in the manga that didn't make the anime.

edit: make that 4 full release, i forgot viz initially released nausicaa in comic book format.
http://nausicaa.net/miyazaki/manga/nausicaaworld.html#us

Viz's website lists 7 volumes total for the 2nd editions, and no mention of a 3rd edition. You sure about your info?

Asbel

Yeah, viz doesn't consider the Perfect Collection the 2nd edition, so I just called it the 2nd (collected) print. The link I just added should clear things up. The 2nd edition is the best release so far.

Mejilan

Asbel said:
Yeah, viz doesn't consider the Perfect Collection the 2nd edition, so I just called it the 2nd (collected) print. The link I just added should clear things up. The 2nd edition is the best release so far.

What Viz considers to be and lists as the 2nd Edition in their website, right?

I just ordered all 7 from them. Sadly, 2 of the volumes are currently backordered. Ah well. I suppose I can wait a month or two for 'em.

geogaddi

Banned
I'm glad you enjoyed the movie!

I, myself, am a big Miyazake fan, my avatar is of Miyazake's "Princess Mononoke".

I want to see "Howl's Moving Castle", has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

I recommend an old classic from Miyazake, Mirai Shounen Konan
(Conan, The Boy of the Future), it makes me feel like a kid.....heck....all of Miyazake films make me feel like a kid!

Jotaro

Banned
Conan was just the episodes of the tv series' best bits put in one film, Miyazaki's first real film is The Castle of Cagliostro, a Lupin the 3rd movie.

Mejilan

Jotaro said:
Conan was just the episodes of the tv series' best bits put in one film, Miyazaki's first real film is The Castle of Cagliostro, a Lupin the 3rd movie.

I have this, but have yet to watch it. Ditto with Porco Rosso.

I was tempted to also pick up My Neighbor Totoro (the only one I'm missing) but folks here warned me away, told me to await the eventual Disney rerelease. Any word when that might hit?

Asbel

Mejilan said:
What Viz considers to be and lists as the 2nd Edition in their website, right?

I just ordered all 7 from them. Sadly, 2 of the volumes are currently backordered. Ah well. I suppose I can wait a month or two for 'em.
Yep, the Perfect Collection was made to be affordable (at the time, manga was more expensive), so the 2nd edition is a lot better. Good luck with the backorders, I know amazon carries the books too.

Mejilan

Thank you for your help.

Well, Barnes & Nobles also has those on backorder, so I imagine Vic will restock.

They told me the 5 they have in will ship within 1-2 days, and the remaining 2 within 3-6 weeks.

Neither site actually lists them as Out of Print (like B&N does for the older editions.)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
geogaddi said:
I want to see "Howl's Moving Castle", has anyone seen it? Is it any good?
Howl's Moving Castle was great in my opinion.

Mejilan said:
I have this, but have yet to watch it. Ditto with Porco Rosso.

I was tempted to also pick up My Neighbor Totoro (the only one I'm missing) but folks here warned me away, told me to await the eventual Disney rerelease. Any word when that might hit?
You need to watch Porco Rosso now. It's easily my favourite out of all of Miyazaki's stuff. And you're smart in not picking up the shoddy US Totoro release that is available.. as for Disney's release, it was supposed to come along with Porco Rosso and Nausicaa but it was pushed back for some reason - I am guessing it was due to release sales. 3 big Miyazaki releases with not much else after it other than Takahata's and a few other Ghibli stuff didn't seem to register well with the Disney exec's. No idea when Disney's Totoro version comes out though.

Mejilan

speedpop said:
Howl's Moving Castle was great in my opinion.

You need to watch Porco Rosso now. It's easily my favourite out of all of Miyazaki's stuff. And you're smart in not picking up the shoddy US Totoro release that is available.. as for Disney's release, it was supposed to come along with Porco Rosso and Nausicaa but it was pushed back for some reason - I am guessing it was due to release sales. 3 big Miyazaki releases with not much else after it other than Takahata's and a few other Ghibli stuff didn't seem to register well with the Disney exec's. No idea when Disney's Totoro version comes out though.

I cannot wait for Howl. It'll be the first one I see in theaters. Princess Mononoke was ALMOST enough to get me to see Spirited Away in theaters, but I decided against it because it looked so corny. Stupid me, as it's actually my favorite Miyazaki film so far. I'll probably watch Porco Rosso tomorrow evening after work.

I thought Disney had to wait for Fox's Totoro license to expire. Not sure when that is. (It was Fox, right? Whichever studio did the crappy release.)

About a month or two ago, I went ahead and picked up every Miyazaki film released on DVD here in the States (aside from Totoro.) This past Thursday I began watching them. I've seen, so far, Spirited Away (2nd time), Princess Mononoke (3rd time, 1st on DVD), Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky - Laputa, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds, all for my first time.

W.O.W. It's been a great past few days. No hesitation about watching Howl's as soon as it hits theaters here. (Any word on that?)

Asbel

W.O.W. It's been a great past few days. No hesitation about watching Howl's as soon as it hits theaters here. (Any word on that?)
Nausicaa.net reports June 10 small release followed by June 17 expansion. Disney hasn't confirmed yet but it's likely to be accurate.

Nausicaa is hitting the big screen too but that's not likely to hit my city. :/

etiolate

Banned
I enjoyed Naussica very much.

I also thought the first part of the film looked a lot like something out of a Metroid game.

Odnetnin

Banned
Nausicaa kicks ass. I watched it when I was very young with no subs and didn't understand any of it but I loved it. I watched it again of course and loved it. I reckon the toughness of the world/characters is a bit different for a Ghibli feature but it's great.

I still think my favourite is my neighbour TOTORO..

and OH SHOCK: I finally saw a poster for the cat returns (in english) and I've never watched this one. :D Happy joy. They're releasing it on DVD here in Australia this year to round up the Ghibli collection

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
In my delusional fanboy dreams, somehow they get around to making a full Nausicaa series that continues the whole story arc of the manga. It'll never happen of course :(

Mejilan

Porco Rosso was REALLY good.

Not as good as Mononoke, Nausicaa, or Spirited Away, but much better than I expected. Absolutely loved the dialogue and delivery.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think the beauty that I loved in Porco Rosso was simply because of it's modesty. It wasn't trying to jump into a make-shift world or anything, but simply base it on a man who had grown contempt towards his race, people around him and politics whilst trying to live the easy life during the harshest era last century, the beginnings of the Great Depression.

If anything, I believe Miyazaki modelled himself as Marco in the film i.e. quite gruff and bossy but a softy at heart especially when it comes to strong-willed females, heavy smoker, longs for the simple times and has a love affair of flight. Plus it's no denying that Miyazaki himself adores the shit out of everything in Europe :lol

Mejilan

So I picked up all 7 Second Edition volumes of the Nausicaa manga (in English.)

Wow, they almost took a fantastic movie and made it bad. That's how awesome the manga was!

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Mejilan said:
Wow, they almost took a fantastic movie and made it bad. That's how awesome the manga was!

The manga is just incredible. I think I should reread them, it's been a few years.

aceface

In my opinion, the Nausicaa manga is really really a lot better than the movie. And it's not like I don't like Miyazaki's movies, Spirited Away and Totoro are right up there in my favorite movies of all time. But with Nausicaa maybe I should not have read the manga first because the whole time I was watching it I could not believe how much the story was lessened in scope. It's like, the movie is about one volume's worth of material, while the manga is 7 volumes. So, if you liked the movie and want to know a LOT more about that world, check it out.

Asbel

Hey, the anime is still great for it's length but the manga is able to increasingly become more and more exciting than where the anime left off. I read the manga first too and I liked how well Miyazaki was able to conclude the anime at that point in the story.

As much as I love the movie, I also think that the manga is better. It's much more in depth, and there's so much more that happens after where the movie ends.

You should read the Akira manga if you haven't already. I also like the manga better than the movie... I think the movie covers the first two books, so there's an additional 4 books that take place after where the movie left off.

Mejilan said:
So I picked up all 7 Second Edition volumes of the Nausicaa manga (in English.)

Where did you get them from and how much did they cost? I'm kicking myself in the nuts for not picking up the complete box set from Amazon when they had it for cheap.

FnordChan

Naked Snake said:
Where did you get them from and how much did they cost? I'm kicking myself in the nuts for not picking up the complete box set from Amazon when they had it for cheap.

That actually turned out for the best - the new edition is superior in every way to the old collected editions. All seven volumes of Nausicaa 2nd edition should be readily available at good comic shops and bookstores for $10 a pop. Amazon is selling 'em for either full price or 10% off, with used copies going for around $6 each. If you plan on buying 'em new, try and go support your local comic shop.

I also wholeheartedly endorse Castle of Cagliostro. Hell yeah.

FnordChan

geogaddi

Banned
Just in...

hmc.jpg

genjiZERO

Sorry to bump a really really old thread (but thought it was better than starting a new on), but can anyone re-confirm that the 2nd edition of Nausicaa that you can get from Viz are not flipped and in the original orientation? thanks

genjiZERO

PhoenixDark said:
I need to see this movie. I LOVED Princess Mononoke, and I've been told Nausicaa is somewhat similar.

hah! it's basically the same thing. I've always thought Mononoke Hime was the same story retold, just more finely tuned and better animated. It's pretty psychadelic too

and it has chocobos!

Mato

I had watched it some 10 years ago on the tv and about a month ago I watched it again on youtube, this is indeed very good. The environment in the first scene, is simply stunning visually speaking, this is what the next Metroid Prime should look like. Btw pretty much all the Studio Ghibli films are up on youtube, I hope that is allowed to mention in this forum.

edit- oh i see. ancient threads bumping sucks.

Dachande

genjiZERO said:
Sorry to bump a really really old thread (but thought it was better than starting a new on), but can anyone re-confirm that the 2nd edition of Nausicaa that you can get from Viz are not flipped and in the original orientation? thanks

That was confirmed about 3 times in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom