• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Noah gifs
In 2017

noahdribbledance.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Noah is such an ass

"Kg is just meaaaannn, I mean really where's the love?!". Noah stfu you're an asshole.

that's the thing though, in the past he was crafty as fuck taking dudes off the dribble, cutting, and just getting to the rim and finishing. and that was when his shot was worse than it is now and people could just hang off him. and trust me the shot reconstruction was huge, his shot was just that bad before. his elbow would be all weird and he'd shoot on the way down, worse than what you're seeing now. and tbh he hasn't been consistently great on defense this season either, which is the biggest thing for me. this is a dude that has put some garbage ass al jefferson playing defense at center teams on his back to be a top defensive and defensive rebounding team in the nba.

so yeah, he doesn't look great this season but I just don't know if it's a consistency thing from the two injuries, time off, and time off with no contact allowed, or if his mental game is off now because the injuries are affecting how hard he'll go in terms of effort and intensity because that's one of his hallmarks

edit: look at this shit

michael-kidd-gilchrist.jpg

Believe me I've seen videos of his form. They destroyed it. It needed fixing, but it was so much better in college

phanphare

Banned
Believe me I've seen videos of his form. They destroyed it. It needed fixing, but it was so much better in college

yeah I don't know what happened there

I hope he eventually gets his mojo back though

the eff is this?
An NBA player? An NBA player that plays basketball professionally in the National Basketball Association?
don'tbelieveyou.gif

that's the 2nd pick in the draft behind anthony davis. bobcats tanked and whiffed on the first pick.

scoobs

It's too bad we won't get to see a 7 game series in the playoffs between these two again. Damn Sixers gonna ruin that for us. Oh well, Embiid gonna feast on the Warriors front line.

Sixers are 7-2 in their last 9, and Embiid has basically scored over 20 points in each of them. Then Ben Simmons is coming back very soon.

His defensive impact is just asinine. We should seriously consider him as DPOTY this year.

Just to quote a stat from Derek Bodner

daXJpo0.jpg

Just look at this bullshit. look at it

And oh yeah, Ben Simmons is coming pretty soon. And you guys just wait for Simmons. He is absolutely ridiculous, and unless this foot injury fucks him up hardcore, he's going to be great.

Nerlens Noel is a great backup plan in case Embiid does get injured. Sam Hinkie was a genius, trust the process

Wow that's ridiculous! Talk about a game changer.

scoobs

Who you think the Warriors gonna try to guard Embiid with in the Finals? I guess its Durant, no way Zaza is keeping up

Really? i feel it's the exact opposite. I think it's going to be in a few years with all the young talent in the pipeline, but right now it's sort of in no mans land with it being more top heavy than ever.

Celts came dangerously close to the backcourt violation there. Hornets fans, is anybody still high on MKG? Everytime I see him he's just so lousy.

Dammit, lost a gigantic post that I wrote out

The league has a larger top than it has had for a while, and almost all of those top teams have only improved since last year. The league is benefiting from the uncertainty in the playoff picture, as technically teams like the Lakers, Timberwolves, Pelicans are still in playoff contention. Almost every team is either a top team, has top talent, or is cultivating possible all star level young talent.

Teams with developing young talent (Nuggets, 76ers, Lakers, Pistons, Timberwolves, Knicks, Magic, Thunder, Suns, Bucks).

Teams with youngish players/cores entering their primes (Hawks, Bulls, Jazz, Pelicans(?), Pacers, Wizards)

Above two categories sort of go into each other.

In addition, say you put the warriors against the Spurs, Rockets, Clippers(?), Jazz, Raptors, Grizzlies. I really wouldn't be surprised if such a series went to 6 or 7 games, more teams have a puncher's shot than I would've thought

Basically, it's a case of taking any one franchise, as asking if there isn't anything to be excited about. Only teams I'm personally sad about is the clippers and pistons, unless somehow clippers beat the warriors and finally reach the conference finals, and maybe don't get broken up.

An Austin Rivers defense force? I don't believe it.

Remember last year in the playoffs when Blake and CP3 went out the same game and the entire clippers bench showed a ton of heart and competed with the blazers and rivers played through this and tried his damn best to keep the clippers going?

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a mix of that and rivers actually improving year by year. This year he hasn't been nearly as streaky, and after being moved to the 2, he's basically the only person on the clippers after Paul that can set up their offense. He's not as much of the meme he was a few seasons back

Although this well never really get boring for me: Https://youtu.be/t0LAgNwNmrc

IMG_0306.png

???

I'm sorry, I'm just bored.

Mostly just went through a bunch of the teams 1 by 1

The point that is, if you asked about any one team in the NBA, there are very few I wouldn't feel optimistic about. I think the main difference is that for many of the previous years, you could do an easy 1, 2, 3, etc. sort of ranking, and you could see that reflected in their standings, but this year it feels like teams have a mix of young stars or are better than their record. Most teams seem to have an argument for being around the level where you would normally think 6-9 seed would be, but there aren't enough spots and games to reflect that

The league is experiencing a major talent glut right now.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

The point that is, if you asked about any one team in the NBA, there are very few I wouldn't feel optimistic about. I think the main difference is that for many of the previous years, you could do an easy 1, 2, 3, etc. sort of ranking, and you could see that reflected in their standings, but this year it feels like teams have a mix of young stars or are better than their record. Most teams seem to have an argument for being around the level where you would normally think 6-9 seed would be, but there aren't enough spots and games to reflect that

I agree there's a lot of talent right now, but I think the majority of the teams still are developing or just quite aren't there yet. Right now it's the warriors/cavs/spurs with a real shot, and nobody else.

Did Durant just take Lebron's life?

Anyone notice how Curry doesn't jump up and draw the foul on 3 fly bys? I don't know why. It's 3 free throws and you might even make the shot.

He usually side steps instead...

He was doing it earlier in the season. In fact Kerr told him and Klay to draw those fouls. I don't know why he stopped

I'm hoping it's because it seemed to mess with their shot flow, and slowed the game down.
Curry had been pretty lackluster on offense early in the season and games weren't nearly as exciting to watch when they were apparently chasing an assist record while Curry and Klay were both trying to draw fouls on the 3pt line instead of side-stepping or quick firing for daggers.

So I'm glad they stopped taking the cheap fouls and instead just play the game.

Curry can't really play restrictive ball. He's like some dude that plays ball on the streets, which also explains some really dumb unnecessary TOs at times as well. I know what Kerr was trying to do there, but it just ruined the rhythm of the shots. There's a reason Kerr almost never calls plays when Steph and Dray are on court together, because they pretty much make the plays as you go.

Steph has said YOLO since two weeks ago starting to play his game, so I knew Cavs were gonna get roasted since it was a home match and 4-L streak by the Warriors. Some of his shots are still not falling at the clip they used but if he plays like this, that's inevitable.

OldMan

Banned
No way Cavs lose with JR in the lineup on this west trip. Their shooting their worst 3 point shooting this month at 31.4% Kover is just getting going too.

Best regards,
OM

TTG

Lol, I like how you're blaming Kerr for Klay's early and Curry's continuing shooting issues.

I was encouraged by the way Curry played last night. It wasn't good, 20 points on 20 shots after all, but he was more assertive. Their starting unit only had 7 turn overs also, another good sign.

The process will obviously have some nice results but it wouldn't hurt Phily to keep losing until the end of the season. The last iteration of it. Just endure half a season.

There's some nice talent in the nba but the level of the league right now is kinda low. A few years ago at least the West was stacked but right now we have Portland and Westbrook actually fighting for playoff spots. The East is a mediocrity cesspool.

As for the future Cavs/Raptors/Warriors/Spurs/Houston will be competitive for a few years (Clippers depends of Paul). Boston/Bucks/Phily/Wolves have a bright future (NO should too but who knows what's going on there). The rest? Depends heavily of future drafts. Hard to foresee.

Embiid the god

LeBron shook at the Embiid x Simmons first round match up next year........but since Simmons is on his brand he will tell him to fake an injury/play like garbage
open yo eyesssss

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ks-carmelo-anthony-wants-stay-new-york-knicks

New York Knicks president Phil Jackson met with Carmelo Anthony on Tuesday and asked the embattled star if he wants to remain with the team, multiple sources told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

The meeting took place two days after the publication of a critical column by Charley Rosen, a longtime confidant of Jackson who wrote that Anthony "has outlived his usefulness of the Knicks."

Anthony has publicly stated that he has not considered waiving his no-trade clause and said Monday that he has proven his loyalty to the Knicks.

Anthony has appeared annoyed when addressing the situation with the media in recent days, specifically when asked about the insinuation from Jackson's confidant that he was no longer valuable to the team.

"If that's the case, if that's where it's coming from, that side, I guess it's a conversation we should have,'' Anthony said Sunday. "If they feel my time in New York is over, I guess that's a conversation we should have."

Neither Jackson nor general manager Steve Mills addressed the situation with Anthony on Monday, the star forward said after the Knicks' 108-107 loss to the Atlanta Hawks.

Anthony added that he didn't feel it was necessary to have a conversation with management about the topic.

Top Bottom