• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

LionPride

Banned
The problem is when the same teams are constantly in the bottom (Sixers, Nets, my Lakers) at some point the league should stop rewarding them. Half the fucking league makes the playoffs. If you are in the lottery 3, 4 or 5 years in a row, it's time to re-examine just what he fuck your management/ownership is doing. We shouldn't be rewarding inept franchises by allowing them to hoard young talent.

I would like to seem them somehow figure out a way to mathematically weigh the odds against teams that are picking in the lottery. Like, for example, if you finish with the first pick one year, and are in the lottery again, the best you can do is like the 9th pick or something.
Sixers were above 500 when Embiid played, the "process" may have actually worked for them

The Nets gave up every draft pick for 4 years in a plan that backfired

The Lakers are just inept

Sixers were above 500 when Embiid played, the "process" may have actually worked for them

The Nets gave up every draft pick for 4 years in a plan that backfired

The Lakers are just inept

Embiid has played 32 games in 3 years, Ben Simmons has played as many NBA games as Tony Romo, they traded Nerlins Noel for a pack of Marlboro Lights, and Jahlil Okafor is a poor man's Al Jefferson on Zoloft. Let's wait a little before declaring "The process" a success.

LionPride

Banned
Embiid has played 32 games in 3 years, Ben Simmons has played as many NBA games as Tony Romo, they traded Nerlins Noel for a pack of Marlboro Lights, and Jahlil Okafor is a poor man's Al Jefferson on Zoloft. Let's wait a little before declaring "The process" a success.
I'll call it a success in that those 32 games played THIS season, they were an above average team. That alone shows they knew wgat they had. Jah, he sucks...what else is there to say. Shoulda kept Nerlens, and we'll see on Ben. But they straight up hit on three bigs in Saric, Embiid, and Noel. They traded the wrong big, but Embiid made that team better. That's a success to me.

I'll call it a success in that those 32 games played THIS season, they were an above average team. That alone shows they knew wgat they had. Jah, he sucks...what else is there to say. Shoulda kept Nerlens, and we'll see on Ben. But they straight up hit on three bigs in Saric, Embiid, and Noel. They traded the wrong big, but Embiid made that team better. That's a success to me.

What they might have gotten is another big man who can't stay healthy and can't stay on the floor. Embiid is far from a sure thing. He's played less games to this point in their careers than Greg Oden. Stop me if you've heard this one before: A talented big man has his career cut short by never ending leg injuries. Embiid is potentially a transitional type talent that you can build around, but thus far he's been a bust. I don't know any other word you can use to describe a player picked 3rd overall who has played 30 games in 3 years due to various leg injuries. It doesn't matter how good you are if you can't stay on the floor.

LionPride

Banned
What they might have gotten is another big man who can't stay healthy and can't stay on the floor. Embiid is far from a sure thing. He's played less games to this point in their careers than Greg Oden. Stop me if you've heard this one before: A talented big man has his career cut short by never ending leg injuries. Embiid is potentially a transitional type talent that you can build around, but thus far he's been a bust. I don't know any other word you can use to describe a player picked 3rd overall who has played 30 games in 3 years due to various leg injuries. It doesn't matter how good you are if you can't stay on the floor.
I still can't get over the fact that they were a good team with him. I believe that he will be healthy for the next few years. I believe he will lead the 76ers to the playoffs. I get the criticism, but this was his true rookie year. And in the limited time, it was a success. He has not been a bust when he has only played in one season and he was successful in the games he played. When he looked like he could be a top Center on the 32 games he played. Oden didn't look like that. Bowie ain't look like that.

Now that this is pretty much in the bag, the Boston Celtics are the #1 seed in the fucking East with a team featuring a guy shorter than Lebron's dick, Weekend at Horford's and Amir motherfucking Johnson starting over 70 games. It would be downright criminal if Stevens doesn't win COTY.

I still can't get over the fact that they were a good team with him. I believe that he will be healthy for the next few years. I believe he will lead the 76ers to the playoffs. I get the criticism, but this was his true rookie year. And in the limited time, it was a success. He has not been a bust when he has only played in one season and he was successful in the games he played. When he looked like he could be a top Center on the 32 games he played. Oden didn't look like that. Bowie ain't look like that.

I dont know what you'd describe any other player who played 32 games in 3 years but a bust. I mean, yeah he's looked great when he's been out there, but that's been 32 games in 3 years. That's like 13% of the possible games. How many other players would look great if you limited them to that small of a sample size? If an NFL team drafted a QB 3rd overall and he started 6 games in 3 years, but looked fantastic in those 6 games, would you call him a franchise QB? Or would you call him a bust? He needs to prove he can be healthy. I don't know how you can just assume or have faith that a guy who has had significant injuries every year since college is just going to magically become healthy. I mean, I get you, I hope he figures out a way to stay healthy too because a healthy Embiid is awesome for the league, but right now based on what we know I wouldn't bet on it.

FZZ

Banned
Huh

If Oden never had his injuries he would probably shit on whatever hypothetical career Embiid could ever have

spyder_ur

From winning 25 games 3 years ago to the best record in the East, with an incredibly bright future. Pretty incredible achievement.

I still fear primetime Rondo and the TNT Bulls.

LionPride

Banned
Huh

If Oden never had his injuries he would probably shit on whatever hypothetical career Embiid could ever have
Did Oden have 3 Range, a good post game, good defense, and the ability to dribble and blow past a defender?

Thought not

I dont know what you'd describe any other player who played 32 games in 3 years but a bust. I mean, yeah he's looked great when he's been out there, but that's been 32 games in 3 years. That's like 13% of the possible games. How many other players would look great if you limited them to that small of a sample size? If an NFL team drafted a QB 3rd overall and he started 6 games in 3 years, but looked fantastic in those 6 games, would you call him a franchise QB? Or would you call him a bust? He needs to prove he can be healthy. I don't know how you can just assume or have faith that a guy who has had significant injuries every year since college is just going to magically become healthy. I mean, I get you, I hope he figures out a way to stay healthy too because a healthy Embiid is awesome for the league, but right now based on what we know I wouldn't bet on it.
I just look at it as 32 games in one season. That's still bad, I get you, but he was an amazing player in all of those games. I can't call him a bust unless he just can't play over 55 games for the rest of his career

Sanjuro

3H7jUOO.gif

Did Oden have 3 Range, a good post game, good defense, and the ability to dribble and blow past a defender?

Thought not

I just look at it as 32 games in one season. That's still bad, I get you, but he was an amazing player in all of those games. I can't call him a bust unless he just can't play over 55 games for the rest of his career

Why is it 32 games in one season? He missed 2 entire seasons with injuries. Would it have been somehow worse if he had played 32 games in those seasons too? Why does that not count?

Servbot24

Banned
Looks like it's Pacers 7 seed and Bulls 8 seed

I am honestly glad Pacers are playing Cleveland. We're going to lose no matter who we face and at least Paul George vs LeBron should be entertaining.

How does Teague get hurt in the last 2 minutes tho

That seems like a very generous way to look at it. He missed his first two seasons because of some of the worst injuries a big man in the NBA can have.

Top Bottom