• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K17 Presents: The Prelude

Korezo

Seriously, wtf? Are 2K incapable of providing any sort of fucking tutorial or instruction for the new shot meter?

I've only previously ever played 2K16 so I have no idea whether the controls stay consistent cos I can't even fucking bring up the controls when pausing. Such basic shit should not be guesswork.

Really not feeling it right now. It feels like I have to work out the controls, again, rather than be given at least some form of cursory tutorial.

If it wasn't for the fact I know 2K16 is immensely rewarding, this prelude would be enough to put me off 2K17 if I was a 2K noob.

Did you play the tutorial?

Dominator

Seriously, wtf? Are 2K incapable of providing any sort of fucking tutorial or instruction for the new shot meter?

I've only previously ever played 2K16 so I have no idea whether the controls stay consistent cos I can't even fucking bring up the controls when pausing. Such basic shit should not be guesswork.

Really not feeling it right now. It feels like I have to work out the controls, again, rather than be given at least some form of cursory tutorial.

If it wasn't for the fact I know 2K16 is immensely rewarding, this prelude would be enough to put me off 2K17 if I was a 2K noob.
Mate, theres a tutorial.

Tubobutts

Plenty of great high school players were bums going into the NBA back in the day. Hell, plenty of great college players are bums going into the NBA and some were great in high school and were bums in college.

Just because you put up 30 points against 5'10 centers doesn't mean you should be an 85
The problem with that is you are markedly worse than anyone else. Last year I was picked 10th in the draft and the #9 and #11 pick both started off with higher ratings than me. And it was made worse with the story constantly talking about how amazing you are while you literally have the lowest rating in the NBA.

In the prelude I got my draft stock up to Lottery Pick but based on the ratings released so far, I'm going to be around 20 points worse than any other lottery pick. They used to start you off at 75 or so which is what most lottery picks get. Now your rating is 20 lower because they want you to buy VC.

rainz

This is actually one year where the controls are not changing toooo much compared to previous years how they would swap around buttons etc! At least advance passing etc is still the same and the shot stick pretty much. As for the shot meter they made it so you hold it until it fills all the way this year, for whatever reason.. It will be the first thing I turn off anyways.. shot meters have no place in a ball sim..

Well it's NBA 2K. Not much to be said about the gameplay. It's good. My face scan I did using the app, didn't turn out great, but it wasn't bad after tweaking it. The real problem with 2K now is the graphics. It went from one of the best looking sports games, to now looking like a cartoon (animations are still top notch though). The lighting is not realistic. The arenas look basic and feature very little upper deck detail. Playing the demo then playing the PES demo right after, and it's a wow moment. PES looks 10 times better now.

jim2011

Presentation is top notch but the visuals are showing their age. I remember when the 2k aeries was the best looking thing out there. Definitely not anymore.

Also to those who asked, the prelude is NOT HDR. Tried it on my Vizio p50-c1. Here's hoping that forza horizon 3 demo has it.

Toparaman

Banned
As someone who will never buy a sports game, but still wants to dick around with one, it's pretty cool that they did this. Will check it out later.

Did you play the tutorial?

Mate, theres a tutorial.

Uhhhhh, I jumped straight into myCareer so didn't realise there was a tutorial. Doh. That being said, given myCareer is supposedly the evolution of a basketball player, I find it strange they don't incorporate tutorials into High School or College training sessions. myCareer should have tutorials as part of it.

This is actually one year where the controls are not changing toooo much compared to previous years how they would swap around buttons etc! At least advance passing etc is still the same and the shot stick pretty much. As for the shot meter they made it so you hold it until it fills all the way this year, for whatever reason.. It will be the first thing I turn off anyways.. shot meters have no place in a ball sim..
Thanks, bud. Only problem it's difficult for me to see where the shot meter ends. Given I'm a relative 2K noob, I don't feel ready to lose the shot meter yet.

Has anyone with an HDR tv played this on Xbox on S? Does your tv go into HDR? Is this demo even HDR?

I was finally able to try today and it dont seem like it. it doesn't say going into HDR mode or anything like it does when I go into netflix or a movie. So i'm guessing it doesn't. Any other people??

Uhhhhh, I jumped straight into myCareer so didn't realise there was a tutorial. Doh. That being said, given myCareer is supposedly the evolution of a basketball player, I find it strange they don't incorporate tutorials into High School or College training sessions. myCareer should have tutorials as part of it.

Thanks, bud. Only problem it's difficult for me to see where the shot meter ends. Given I'm a relative 2K noob, I don't feel ready to lose the shot meter yet.

The tutorial is shit so I wouldn't worry about missing it

hunchback

I'm afraid to play my college games because I suck so bad.

This is my first time seriously trying a basketball game and feel overwhelmed. I just keep playing the tutorial but not getting much better. I think they should have made the tutorial like basketball drills or reduce it to one on one. It's too hectic with a full team. I want to try each thing multiple times. Hopefully there is something like that in the full game.

Can anyone explain what it means when the controller vibrates? It has done it while in a crowd and from outside the 3 pt line.

FDC1

Got badly judged after my 1st match despite winning it and doing my part as a PG :(

Well at least it seems it's a very easy 100% if you're a trophy hunter

2k and a proper tutorial system for one of the most needlessly complicated games on the market that switches its mechanics every year just for the sake of change and being "new"? Lol

No.

It's bad enough they added a story to mycareer. Some of us just want to play games and advance our myplayer, leave the tutorials to the tutorial.

Wow man. I hated 2K16 last year, this feels amazing. You can make layups, actually maneuver inside the 3pt line, and make open jump shots. Shit they got me.

Making this was such a good idea, they got me on the hook, and as a person who hates pre-ordering, I might just cave in to do the pre-load and play 4 days early.

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't need anything to get me through the night
Except the beat that's in my heart
And it's keeping me alive
I don't need anything to make me satisfied
Cause the music fills me good and it gets me every time
Like ba-ba-ba-ba-da-ba
Ba-ba-ba-da-ba
Ba-ba-ba-ba-da-ba
Ba-ba-ba-da-ba
Ba-ba-ba-ba-da-ba
Ba-ba-ba-da-ba

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!

No.

It's bad enough they added a story to mycareer. Some of us just want to play games and advance our myplayer, leave the tutorials to the tutorial.
So what's wrong with optional tutorials added into the story? It feels weird to have a story that charts your progress from HS to NBA yet not have any content that helps improve you as a player, both real and virtual.

jmaine_ph

Finished up The Prelude yesterday. It's more 2k.

The graphics didn't wow me but what did was the attention to detail in other aspects and animations.

The fluidity of the game is also something I noticed right of the bat. It felt so much better than last years game.

The new face scan app is so much better than anything the PS Camera or Xbox Kinect could output. Safe to saybim really excited for the full product next week.

https://youtu.be/UZCL8zJG6ZQ

Lnkn52

2k17 feels very responsive compared to last year's game. It's been a while since I purchased a NBA 2k game, 2k17 might break my streak.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
myCareer is so awful man. i hate this shit lmao.

that said i'm digging how the game feels quite a bit. just want to play the other modes now.

And no captions either! Fuck them, I'm not listening to that bullshit.

I get that this is a narrative focused mode, but fuck am I sitting through all of these awful cutscenes just to play basketball in a demo.

The worst part was when I hit circle, and rather than skipping as expected, it just took me back to the main menu so I could go through it all again.

hunchback

I don't understand what the college team wants out of me? I just did the first game and they trashed my performance on the court. Do they just want me to score most of the points and then be a beast on defense?

I went with shot creator PG and tried to play my position and role the entire time. I got a few points and got my teammates involved. We even won but still got bad press. Bastards

I'm having a lot of fun for my first 2K basketball game. I can tell I have a lot to learn.

I think the main thing to know about the draft process in MyCareer is it's almost always like this.

You have to be a top 1% 2K player to actually do really well and end up a top draft player. Whenever I play these games I make peace with knowing my first year will be on a lottery team. Then in your second year, you can go to any team you want.

We all know how good Chris Smoove is and even he's getting trashed in the 'story'.

Top Bottom