• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K7 First Look (PS3) - "a richer appearance than the 360 version"

Speevy

Banned
I've seen the footage too. I agree with Hitler's assessment. I'm willing to believe that it's more technically advanced, but I don't really see it.

Vyer

As has been said, free throw shooting is already a bitch in 2K7. Trying to do it with any sort of motion controls (unless the system is changed significantly) might make me shoot a kitten in the head.

Raistlin

Understand ... I'm not saying it looks better ...

However, if they are talking about shader effects that make stuff like sking look more real ... of course you're not going to see it in a shitty video.

That is obviously something you'd need direct-grabs to see.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Just watched the videos over at IGN. It looks EXACTLY like the 360 version. I don't know where all these magic pixles supposedly are.

Maybe playing the game in person makes a difference?

meh for the game, but a big what what what about the vibrate comments.

I've just discovered that by placing a :lol after any comment, you can totally discredit any opinion, that pretty cool.

I must be missing the 'richer' visuals:lol

see its that easy!!!

rs7k

Nice thread title change. It's almost like the mods want this thread to turn into a SDF vs XDF fight to the death.

Speevy

Banned
:lol

I think the mods are hoping for Gears vs. Resistance round 2.

Seriously though, the forum is a lot better when we don't focus on these things. The PS3 is a more powerful system. Xbots certainly aren't saying they have the more powerful system. So really, it's just a matter of how much you want to dwell on such things. How long did it take Gaf (I wasn't here) to get over PS2/Xbox graphics comparisons?

Speevy

Banned
mckmas8808 said:

So even the devs say it looks better and people don't believe.

I think it's the difference between technical advancement and visual impact. You can do a whole lot that's really impressive technically and have 99% of people saying "So what?" or you can just do a little and leave people saying "WOW."

Log4Girlz

Just watched the videos over at IGN. It looks EXACTLY like the 360 version. I don't know where all these magic pixles supposedly are.

Your pc cannot display magic pixels, you've been HORNSWAGGLED.

mckmas8808

Smiles and Cries said:
adding motion sensing was an awesome move by Sony, WOW

damn I do feel bad for Nintendo seriously

Yeah I see what you mean. I mean it's obvious that Nintendo has the better motion controls in their controllers, but Sony is kinda stealing alot of their thunder.

Will we see the Madden 08 PS3 version using the passing mechanics from the Wii version next year? :lol

Sonki.

Banned
I knew this was going to happen

Anti-Aligning (whateever its called) alone would make a HUGE difference in a game like NBA 2k7.
Good to hear that 2k sports is making the same jumps graphically as there was in Ps2 games to Xbox.

mckmas8808 said:

So even the devs say it looks better and people don't believe.

They're porting the same freakin' engine from the 360 but what the hell are the developers supposed to say? That's they're basically the same? Telling everyone the truth that there's really no difference between the two isn't the best way to promote your game.

In the end there's going to be no difference between NBA 2K7 on the 360 and the PS3. Next year should be more interesting because they're building a whole new engine.

J-Rzez

Bah, it's really hard to tell with just stupid videos on the net... I'll have to play the PS3 version on my TV to see the difference... Which, I'm sure is where you'd notice it... and not on some net-vid...

There's not going to be any night-and-day differences in graphics here ppl, so how would you notice it on a vid like that... It's probably going to be very subtle, but still noticeable on your own TV... We may see a bit more effects on one compared to the other, but if the PS3 does have the distinct edge, we'll see it come about in 2nd/3rd gen games on out...

Rhindle

You'll see these "richer picture" comments quite a bit going forward, from clueless writers.

What's going on is that many displays produce a noticably more saturated/contrasty picture over HDMI than they do over component. The Sony Bravia LCDs that Sony uses to demo their PS3s are a prime example of that. This produces a picture that looks more vibrant, even if it's being rendered identically regardless of the output method.

It was very apparent at E3 on some games running side by side on 360 and PS3, e.g. Sonic at the Sega booth. The PS3 output just looked richer, even though it was technically inferior to the 360 build (choppier framerate).

They're porting the same freakin' engine from the 360 but what the hell are the developers supposed to say? That's they're basically the same? Telling everyone the truth that there's really no difference between the two isn't the best way to promote your game.

In the end there's going to be no difference between NBA 2K7 on the 360 and the PS3. Next year should be more interesting because they're building a whole new engine.
thats like saying that no multiplatform games looked better on xbox, which they often did.

Speevy

Banned
I seriously wonder how many people are actually going to purchase PS3s to go along with their 360s on launch day, then two different versions of the same game. (just to tell the forum how they compare)

You know someone will.

Speevy said:
The PS3 is a more powerful system. Xbots certainly aren't saying they have the more powerful system. So really, it's just a matter of how much you want to dwell on such things.

Maybe so, although you can't tell by the reactios anytime a developer says a PS3 version of a game will look better than the 360 counterpart.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I think publishers and developers have realized they can stir up extra sales by appealing to the fanboys. If fanboys from group A think a game is more technically advanced or is exclusive on their system they'll be more likely to buy it.

SolidSnakex said:
Maybe so, although you can't tell by the reactios anytime a developer says a PS3 version of a game will look better than the 360 counterpart.

I've got no problem with a game from system A looking better or worse than system B but when a developer says it looks better and my eyes are telling me otherwise, well something be rotten in Denmark.

Speevy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

It's fear of the unknown. We knew EXACTLY why PS2 multiplatform games looked and ran like they did, and we knew exactly what they were going to do to the Xbox version to make it sharper. IQ, textures, some better lighting in a handful of cases, and there's your Xbox version.

This time, who knows how they'll make improvements? So I think the Xbox fans like to even the field until everyone has a chance to play, not just PR people and developers.

mckmas8808

Well other devs seem to say there will be no difference (graphically) between their PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. This doesn't happen with every game you know.

But hey lets not listen to the developers, because we sure know more than them. ;)

Rhindle

SolidSnakex said:
What developers have said the PS3 version of their game will look better than the 360 counterpart?

Just curious, becuase everyone seems to be taking pains to stipulate that there will be no significant differences. Well, other than the Mark Rein stuff today.

mckmas8808

Nerevar said:
I think publishers and developers have realized they can stir up extra sales by appealing to the fanboys. If fanboys from group A think a game is more technically advanced or is exclusive on their system they'll be more likely to buy it.

So do you believe the devs when they said the AI in Assasins Creed will be better in the 360 version than the PS3 version?

Nerevar said:
Exactly, they're hoping to get a double dip on fans, by trying to convince them the ps3 version is better and to buy it as well. But honestly in that interview, they were just dancing around the truth, "richer pixels" maybe someone turned up the color on their monitors when they weren't looking. Seriously what a silly comment.

Jonnyram

mckmas8808 said:
But hey lets not listen to the developers, because we sure know more than them. ;)
Greg Thomas is the president of VC. I'm sure even you know more about developing than him :p

Speevy

Banned
So do you believe the devs when they said the AI in Assasins Creed will be better in the 360 version than the PS3 version?

I believe that we haven't seen a single screenshot or movie of this game running on anything resembling a PS3.

Same with every multiplatform game except Virtua Tennis 3.

I've got no problem with a game from system A looking better or worse than system B but when a developer says it looks better and my eyes are telling me otherwise, well something be rotten in Denmark.

So giving what they described you think that'd be noticeable in a 640x360 off screen video?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
mckmas8808 said:

yes, because I am an xbox.

mckmas8808 said:

Personally, I only believe things that benefit the perception of my console of choice, and disregard anything that may slight it in the public eye. All anyone had to do was ask a pointed question such as that, and I would have told them.

77-2.jpg

"Why'd you kick me?"
"Where's your brain?"
"Why'd you kick me?"
"I asked you first."

Seriously, dude. People do not think they way you'd like them to.

Rhindle said:
You'll see these "richer picture" comments quite a bit going forward, from clueless writers.

What's going on is that many displays produce a noticably more saturated/contrasty picture over HDMI than they do over component. The Sony Bravia LCDs that Sony uses to demo their PS3s are a prime example of that. This produces a picture that looks more vibrant, even if it's being rendered identically regardless of the output method.

It was very apparent at E3 on some games running side by side on 360 and PS3, e.g. Sonic at the Sega booth. The PS3 output just looked richer, even though it was technically inferior to the 360 build (choppier framerate).

As usual, the post making the most sense gets ignored. Cheers!

mckmas8808

Moonwalker said:
Exactly, they're hoping to get a double dip on fans, by trying to convince them the ps3 version is better and to buy it as well. But honestly in that interview, they were just dancing around the truth, "richer pixels" maybe someone turned up the color on their monitors when they weren't looking. Seriously what a silly comment.

*DISCLAIMER*
I'm not saying there will a difference at all.
*DISCLAIMER*

So are you saying that there's no way the PS3 verision looks better?

SolidSnakex said:
So giving what they described you think that'd be noticeable in a 640x360 off screen video?

What did they describe? Pixel rendering for a richer experience? What the hell does that even mean? Can you tell me?

My eyes are telling me it looks exactly the same.

FightyF

Banned
Full screen anti-alaising alone can make this game look extremely awesome.

I would pick up all my sports games on the PS2 rather than the 360, if it weren't for the controller.

mckmas8808

Outdoor Miner said:
As usual, the post making the most sense gets ignored. Cheers!

But the reason is not because of the TV. The guy actually says it's due to the PS3. It may be the HDMI port. Who knows.

Top Bottom