• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K7 First Look (PS3) - "a richer appearance than the 360 version"

We all the 360 is more than capable of displaying graphics better then 2K7, so what exactly is the point of this thread. If the PS3 version looks better then its just because of longer development.

I mean just today Mark Rein said UE3 looks better on 360... does that mean the 360 is more powerful then the PS3. No...

thirty

Banned
eh. i dont care how the ps3 handles anything. from PCs to say Xbox vs Gamecube, ATI chips almost ALWAYS have richer, better colors IMO. i dunno if its in the processing or what but i've never witnessed an nvidia look better than an ati setup running similar games.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
What did they describe? Pixel rendering for a richer experience? What the hell does that even mean? Can you tell me?

Those are IGN's words, not the devs. Notice there's an absence of any real quotes from Greg Thomas in the article. The whole thing reads like one fanboy piece taking what they "heard" from a dev and running with it.

Maybe all of IGN is like that though, so I'm pretty content avoiding that place.

mckmas8808 said:
But the reason is not because of the TV. The guy actually says it's due to the PS3. It may be the HDMI port. Who knows.

VictimOfGrief said:
360 ver > PS3 ver*

reason being I'm playing NBA2k7 right now..... richly.:lol :lol :lol

Ditto. And now, thanks to that HiLite Reel, with "I'm Talkin' To You" by T.I. (and the Inimitable Just MUTHAGRABBIN' Blaze) on PERMANENT ROTATION.

thirty

Banned
hmmmm maybe when this whole "richer experience" is a stealth shot at the ps3s price? cuz 5-600 is indeed a richer experience. :lol

Sysgen

Played this tonight. I believe in the 360 version you feel the players heartbeat at the free throw line through the controller. Just thought I mention it. It's wonderful that the PS3 version will be great but I've said it before and I'll say it forever, lack of rumble sucks. End of story.

Karma Kramer said:
We all the 360 is more than capable of displaying graphics better then 2K7, so what exactly is the point of this thread. If the PS3 version looks better then its just because of longer development.

I mean just today Mark Rein said UE3 looks better on 360... does that mean the 360 is more powerful then the PS3. No...

Mark Rein said UE3 works better on 360 since it's less complicated architecture, more close to PCs, and compared to PS3 and, well, PC devs aren't usually doing such a good job with consoles (except xbox platforms of course). Thomas is speaking strictly about what PS3 hardware can do.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
thirty said:
hmmmm maybe when this whole "richer experience" is a stealth shot at the ps3s price? cuz 5-600 is indeed a richer experience. :lol

Damn guys thanks for taking a decent thread a ****ing ruining it. -_-

Maybe you guys should read this over.

Speaking of taking advantage of the PS3's power, the team has been using the computational power of the system to enhance a large number of the standard features that the game is known for. For instance, the cloth physics of jerseys and shorts has been assigned to one SPU on the PS3 instead of multiple cores on the 360 so that it can move more realistically than ever without taking away processing power for the rest of the game. But you'll find that there's just as much realism off the court in the PS3 version than on the court. Instead of running cutscenes during timeout situations, the development team has created real time AI that governs the cheerleaders, mascots, floor cleaners and even the crowd.

BAM! That's more than likely the reason why the game (may) look better. Read and try to understand that.

Sysgen

Also when you are in the low post and you are leaning on a player you know it. It's awesome, the rumble effects are great. I'm all for a richer expereince but I guess the context of richer depends on where your priorities lie.

Sysgen said:
Played this tonight. I believe in the 360 version you feel the players heartbeat at the free throw line through the controller. Just thought I mention it. It's wonderful that the PS3 version will be great but I've said it before and I'll say it forever, lack of rumble sucks. End of story.

Don't forget about when the guy your defending against is all moving in on your shit. Your controller LETS YOU KNOW.

ETA: HOLY COW JINX!! JUST BLAZE RULES!!!

thirty

Banned
mckmas8808 said:

BAM! That's more than likely the reason why the game (may) look better. Read and try to understand that.

wow that actually sounds pretty damn cool. i wasnt trying to riun anything. i just thought it was funny to actually use the term "richer"

SolidSnakex said:
Maybe so, although you can't tell by the reactios anytime a developer says a PS3 version of a game will look better than the 360 counterpart.

remember starbreeze?

360 better gpu. ps3 better cpu.
360 better textures. ps3 better fmv.

reactions same thing. SDF vs XDF charged as guilty.

i think mods should cut these graficx battle.

Speevy said:
How long did it take Gaf (I wasn't here) to get over PS2/Xbox graphics comparisons?

ps2/dc ps2/xbox comparisons have to end because big tangible difference in speccs was too much to spin.
hardcore fanboyz tried hard to put the spin with exclusive games.

360/ps3 gotta be bloody long man.

HOW MUCH POWERFUL MOST POWERFUL ONE IZ! HOLY COW!

fortified_concept said:
Mark Rein said UE3 works better on 360 since it's less complicated architecture, more close to PCs, and compared to PS3 and, well, PC devs aren't usually doing such a good job with consoles (except xbox platforms of course). Thomas is speaking strictly about what PS3 hardware can do.

Its a wash, both consoles will have good looking games, end the freaking pixel sex talk. now!

Karma Kramer said:
Its a wash, both consoles will have good looking games, end the freaking pixel sex talk. now!

Well I'm not the one obsessed to proove something, if that's what you're saying. I'm just having some fun in a thread that is doomed to have a dreadful future. ;) On the other hand firefoxsux...

firefoxsux said:
remember starbreeze?

360 better textures. ps3 better fmv.

reactions same thing. SDF vs XDF charged as guilty.

i think mods should cut these graficx battle.

ps2/dc ps2/xbox comparisons have to end because big tangible difference in speccs was too much to spin.
hardcore fanboyz tried hard to put the spin with exclusive games.

360/ps3 gotta be bloody long man.

HOW MUCH POWERFUL MOST POWERFUL ONE IZ! HOLY COW!

I like how you're trying to look objective by implying that anyone saying that there's a "tangible" difference is a fanboy (and since you're not saying it, you're objective).

mckmas8808

fortified_concept said:
Well I'm not the one obsessed to proove that PS3 and X360 are "almost equal" like the guy above you when everything points to the opposite if that's what you're saying. I'm just having some fun in a thread that is doomed to have a dreadful future. ;)

I like how you're trying to sound objective by implying that anyone saying that there's a "tangible" difference is a fanboy (and since you're not saying you're objective).

But I don't understand why certain people are trying to fight it though. :/

The guy says himself that they got the cloth physics to do something on one SPE that they had to do on mulitple 360 cores. It left them more room to do other gaming task. This is something that's well known.

So why the fight?

xaosslug

thread needs more Kaz and Shane. :p

ShaneFisting.gif
LOL.gif

lol

you say me?

i got say ps3 is more powerful b4 BUT i think is less tangible visuals than ps2/xbox ps2/dc.

fanboyz got their expectations higher than mine. i think that makes bad threads. i want to correct that.

let us see how my prediction is. :)

This thread sucks. I bet half of you guys are just in here to debate on which console sucks less. Shit, some of you probably hate bastketball:lol What a joke.

As a sports fan, its actually very comforting to hear that VC didnt just throw PS3 a "copy and paste" port. Fukk the pixel improvments. Im more intrested in the AI adjustments and newly added post moves.

360/NBA 2K7 owners need to relax. You'd swear from reading some of these comments that VC went PS3 exclusive. They've had 2 great years of NBA release's on the 360 now they're just showing PS3 buyers some love. I swear xbots HATE hearing positve about Sony these days. Dont worry fellas, Im sure we'll get those "rich" pixels next year.:lol

Remember, how a sports game portrays the actual sport is more important than "pixel richness" lol.

mckmas8808

SNUG REVOL said:
This thread sucks. I bet half of you guys are just in here to debate on which console sucks less. Shit, some of you probably hate bastketball:lol What a joke.

As a sports fan, its actually very comforting to hear that VC didnt just throw PS3 a "copy and paste" port. Fukk the pixel improvments. Im more intrested in the AI adjustments and newly added post moves.

360/NBA 2K7 owners need to relax. You'd swear from reading some of these comments that VC went PS3 exclusive. They've had 2 great years of NBA release's on the 360 now they're just showing PS3 buyers some love. I swear xbots HATE hearing positve about Sony these days. Dont worry fellas, Im sure we'll get those "rich" pixels next year.:lol

Remember, how a sports game portrays the actual sport is more important than "pixel richness" lol.

What do you think about shooting shots like real life?

HocusPocus said:
It's called hyping up the product to get you to buy it again :lol .
Pretty much. When 2K6 was anounced as a launch title for 360 the devs were pretty much calling the 360 "god" I remember watching a gamespot inteview stating that the 360 was the machine they were dreaming of.:lol PR interviews are awesome.

mckmas8808 said:

highly unlikely. The rich vibrant textures is what is going to win people over.

alterego

firefoxsux said:
remember starbreeze?

That's a 6 month old quote when final PS3 kits didn't even exist.
We now know that RSX has more shader power than Xenos (from the recent Watch Impress article).

The extra pixel effects could be related to that (eg. sweat).

mckmas8808 said:
What do you think about shooting shots like real life?
You're talking about the motion controller freethrows? If so.....FUKK that. If you've actually PLAYED the game you would know free throws are already a pain in the ass with the analog sticks. Not because the system isnt intuitive, but its very hard to get used to all the different shooting styles. I could see myself eventually throwing the controller at the the screen trying to make a freethrow with Shaq.:lol

Im sure theres going to be an option to turn it off.

Pimpwerx

Oh no, the PS3 can't have a better looking game than the 360. It's impossible, Major Nelson says they're equal in power. I'll also use video to guage this since videos also replicate the full resolution and image quality of playing the game in person. Upon further inspection, I can only conclude that the PS3 version looks just like the 360 version, and the person who encoded this video and probably also wrote that article, and actually played the game is full of crap. They look the same...I'm sure of it. Right, Major Nelson? Major? PEACE.

RaijinFY

firefoxsux said:
you say me?

i got say ps3 is more powerful b4 BUT i think is less tangible visuals than ps2/xbox ps2/dc.

fanboyz got their expectations higher than mine. i think that makes bad threads. i want to correct that.

let us see how my prediction is. :)

In other words:

LOL.gif

Mrbob

Hmm, better AI.

TAKE THAT, UBI.

PS3 is more powerful than 360. Get over it peoplez. Not that big of a deal, or is it?

I actually like the tilt implementation here.

Takuan

All I'm seeing is a softer look. It doesn't look better or worse. 2KSports should try and add some better faces on the star players for the PS3 version in order to differentiate it from the 360 release.

I'm still getting the 360 version.

mckmas8808

Pimpwerx said:
Oh no, the PS3 can't have a better looking game than the 360. It's impossible, Major Nelson says they're equal in power. I'll also use video to guage this since videos also replicate the full resolution and image quality of playing the game in person. Upon further inspection, I can only conclude that the PS3 version looks just like the 360 version, and the person who encoded this video and probably also wrote that article, and actually played the game is full of crap. They look the same...I'm sure of it. Right, Major Nelson? Major? PEACE.

Yeah really. Hell to me Madden on the PS2 and Xbox look the same to me in videos on the internet. Must be no difference right?

Speevy

Banned
Pimpwerx said:

IT CAN'T! IT WON'T! I WON'T LET IT!

FightyF

Banned
This is really interesting because VC has always taken advantage of the more powerful consoles...and considering that this is all we get for spending hundreds of bucks more...it's not that big of a difference.

it's pretty obvious even this early in the game: ps3 looks much softer in contrast to 360's weird shiny plastic look. it's preference, i suppose

Dante

Fight for Freeform said:
This is really interesting because VC has always taken advantage of the more powerful consoles...and considering that this is all we get for spending hundreds of bucks more...it's not that big of a difference.

Everyone is paying those extra hundred bucks for the VC updates, I know I am!

Speevy

Banned
Barry Lightning said:
it's pretty obvious even this early in the game: ps3 looks much softer in contrast to 360's weird shiny plastic look. it's preference, i suppose

Yeah I prefer weird shiny plastic.

mckmas8808

Dante said:
Everyone is paying those extra hundred bucks for the VC updates, I know I am!

Yep! The only reason I'm spending more on the PS3 is to get the better 2K7 version.

Mrbob

mckmas8808 said:

These gifs are exactly timed 100% for you guys but you understand.

HMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting to see in motion. To be honest I never really thought of using the PS3 pad like that to shoot a free throw.

EekTheKat

Okay I gotta admit, I really want to try out that motion sensitive freethrow shooting :lol It looks kinda compelling.

Though I'm guessing it's a bit deceptive in how it's presented - I'm guessing odds are it still replicates the shot stick

Also my NBA 2k7 on the 360 suffers from some minor framerate problems, to the point where it's actually distracting (during freethrows the framerate would sometimes drop down to 30ish levels as opposed to the perfectly smooth 60 throughout).

If the PS3 is a solid 720p (or 1080p)with AA and the various bugs fixed, that'll be good enough for me as a buy. This really is one of the most fun basketball games I've played in years.

mckmas8808

Mrbob said:
HMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting to see in motion. To be honest I never really thought of using the PS3 pad like that to shoot a free throw.

So is that a good Hmmmm?

I know you are a real big sports gaming nut.

Monk

Banned
Mrbob said:

I guess PS3 is still ushering in the same old same old gameplay, rite? ;)

It is a bit unco-ordinated though. At the very end of the motion you have to remember to hod the controller. If you dont, you throw it, if you do it kinda screws up the open handed motion, i mean how are you supposed to get the backspin in? That said i dont think the Wii could do any better, this is one game instance that some sort of glove would work better.

Top Bottom